Christian question: What's your view of Atonement? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-03-2002, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
A question for Christians and any others who have a viewpoint about this topic:

What is your view of Christ's atonement? What does it mean for you? How would you describe it to someone who wasn't Christian?

I have no idea of the concept of Atonement is the same in all Christian spheres, and I'm trying to find out. I am also interested in any other ideas about atonement, and whether it's present in other belief systems.

TIA,
Bekka
#2 of 4 Old 11-03-2002, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow.. interesting question. I think my ideas about atonement stem from my ideas about sin. I believe that sin is something that interferes with my relationship with God and often with other relationships as well. So atonement must address both of those aspects. Sometimes this can be done internally and other times it must incorporate some gesture to the person I have sinned against. It is really fluid for me. I find that if I put myself in the right frame spiritually it quickly becomes clear what needs to be done... I can sometimes see it clearly as a barrier between myself and forgiveness and peace. The interesting thing is that it never feels like "I must do X for God to forgive me" it is "I must do X before I can be open to God's forgiveness."
#3 of 4 Old 11-06-2002, 09:57 PM

I was involved with a Bible study group a few years ago - and studied this a little bit at that point...

My perception of Atonement:
Atonement is the process or act of becoming at-one-with your creator... or in other words - resetting the scales to a state of being in balance.
#4 of 4 Old 11-07-2002, 01:03 AM

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I believe that my sin separates me from God. Before Christ, atonement came from sacrificing at the altar in the temple. An animal was given in sacrifice in place of the person. Through the sacrifice, man was once again in the presence of God. CHrist came and became the ultimate sacrifice for everyone's sins for all time. I no longer have to sacrifice according to the law of Moses. I have to accept the sacrifice of Christ. Because Christ died for my sins, I am free to experience a personal relationship with God. I ask for forgiveness through CHrist who has already atoned for my sins. Hope this answered your questions Bekka.

P.S. I am Methodist. Baptized, confirmed, practicing.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page