Ramadan Mubarak! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-06-2002, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, it's true--the moon was sighted last evening over Florida, marking the beginning of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan! Today, inshallah, is our first day of daily fasting. We are encouraged to rise early to eat/drink something and say prayers, and then we do not eat/drink until sunset, when we break fast and pray together. Ramadan will last a lunar month, inshallah, and the first day of the next month is one of the two biggest holidays in Islam.

Ramadan is an opportunity to improve ourselves and improve our community and world. Unfortunately, there are people who may see it as a time for acts of violence and hatred in Islam's name.

Personally, besides my own efforts toward self-improvement, I intend to focus my prayers on peace and unity.

Please do wish your Muslim co-workers, classmates, neighbors and friends a peaceful and blessed Ramadan. Inshallah, they wish the same for you.

Just wanted to share with my friends. Happy, blessed, peaceful Ramadan to us all.
#2 of 26 Old 11-06-2002, 10:58 AM

Will you accept wishes for a peaceful and blessed Ramadan from a Pagan?
#3 of 26 Old 11-06-2002, 11:36 AM

Wishing you a peaceful and blessed Ramadan, UmmNuh. You've already improved your community by educating us. Thank you.
Peace,
#4 of 26 Old 11-06-2002, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

I gladly accept wishes of peace and blessing from anyone who wishes them--peace and blessings are so rare and important. I wish them to you, too--Happy Ramadan!
#5 of 26 Old 11-06-2002, 03:44 PM

UmmNuh-
Peaceful and blessed and happy Ramadan to you! I hope your fast is easy!
Great to see you back!

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#6 of 26 Old 11-06-2002, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Peace and Blessings to you and your family this season.

Just curious, what will you and yours do about Thanksgiving? Just have a nice late turkey dinner or is the whole holiday inappropriate during Ramadan?
#7 of 26 Old 11-06-2002, 04:43 PM

Blessed Ramadan to you and yours. We are all one in the One, the True, the Ineffable.
#8 of 26 Old 11-06-2002, 08:48 PM

Kama-
As far as I know, not being Muslim myself, I think that observant muslims do not celebrate ani nonmuslim holidays. UmmNuh, correct me if I'm wrong.

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#9 of 26 Old 11-06-2002, 09:02 PM

A peaceful and blessed Ramadan (thank you for telling us more about it) to you, and I hope your focus on peace and unity manifests itself in many ways for you and all that surrounds you ...
#10 of 26 Old 11-09-2002, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the well-wishes, friends!

As for Thanksgiving, while it is rooted in a Christian tradition, I personally see nothing wrong with a day for thanking our Creator for the abundance in our lives. We'll break our fast that day in the home of friends, with most of the traditional holiday specialties...
#11 of 26 Old 11-10-2002, 03:33 AM

A deep & joyous Ramadan, UmmNuh ... good to have you 'round these parts again ...

Would love to hear any special traditions you have with your family. And are any of DH's Moroccan customs different than ... I wanted to say "standard Islamic customs" & then "American Islamic customs" but that sounded silly, didn't it ... so I don't know how to ask it, but hope you know what I'm asking ... :

- Amy
#12 of 26 Old 11-10-2002, 05:46 PM

A little late in joining in, UmmNuh, but I wish for you a blessed month of Ramadan, peace and time to focus on the essentials. This comes at a good time for you, I think.
#13 of 26 Old 11-10-2002, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, friends!

It could not come at a better time.

As for traditions, I am relatively new to Islam--this is only my fifth year of fasting, third Ramadan as a Muslima. And dh and I are actually working to distill some of the religion's way of life from the cultural traditions.

What we have been doing thus far is rising early to have a small meal and a good drink before morning prayers. The day pretty much goes on from there. I go back to bed with ds and dh goes to work. But, I try to stick at home more, doing quiet chores, reading with ds. I will try to paint some watercolor cards for friends for the end of the month holiday. I try to go to the mosque for some prayers. The afternoon is spent preparing the soup for breaking fast. We have company for breaking fast a lot, probably 3 times a week or more--people without family in the area, students, interested non-Muslim friends, and "old stand-by" types.

Of course, I also try to be more on-time with my prayers, I try to read more Qur'an, and I try to remain cheerful. This is supposed to be a time of self-improvement.

Oh--and I do my best to stay out of my Mom's way.
#14 of 26 Old 11-13-2002, 12:33 AM

Bismillah

Ma-Salaams to everyone,

I, myself is very happy for this special month of Ramadan with its many blessings.
This is the time when I start my 'New Year's resolution'.
I read from Quran daily, other scriptures, and any self-teaching books as well.
I try to excersice patience, controlling my mouth, helping others, becoming more steadfast and apreciative of what the Creator has bless me.
When I fast, I gain more self discipline, am more quicker to steer from anything that is not good, and I tend to show more brotherly luv as well.

Believe it or not, I enjoy fasting. It stregthens my heart, make me less careless, and make me more dedicated to my life's work.

To the one who ask about observing Thanksgiving, my lil input, is typically Orthodox Muslims do not observe anything that doesnt come from any Islamic background; Ramadan or not I typically fast on day of Thanksgiiving anyways. That is how I show my thanks for being provided with food throughout the whole year, Alhamdiallah!

May Allah have mercy on this Ummah,
may he shower us with his blessings and luv,
may he elevate our status in this life and the next,
and may he grant us Peace

Ameen Ameen Ameen

#15 of 26 Old 11-13-2002, 12:34 AM

That's beautiful .
#16 of 26 Old 11-13-2002, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Ameen, Sauda!

Mashallah, thank you for putting it so eloquently.

I hope your fast has been a wonderful one thus far, and I am sure inshallah you will have a beautiful and productive month of fast and prayer. Ramadan Mubarak!
#17 of 26 Old 11-14-2002, 05:21 AM

Sauda and UmmNuh... may your ramadan be blessed.

And are you really the only muslim ladies here? :
#18 of 26 Old 11-14-2002, 10:00 AM
Banned

I'm not sure if I'm saying the right thing but have an easy fast and a blessed Ramadan.

I find fasting one day completely difficult I simply cannot imagine going for an entire month!!

Ummnah, you have fasted five years but you've been Muslim for three, was there a conversion process for two years??

How old are you when you must start fasting? (do the children eat regular meals?)

I'm sorry for asking the questions but I only know *one* Muslim in real life and I don't want to overwhelm her with my questions.

Have a blessed month and my wish for you and everyone else is the prayers of those of goodwill are for *peace* between us...I pray our prayers for peace are answered.

Debra Baker
#19 of 26 Old 11-14-2002, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Debra!

I fasted while living in Morocco, and I didn't accept Islam there. I lived in the countryside, where everyone was fasting, and it was logical for me to fast too. I found it an exercise in empathy and solidarity. I was breaking fast with friends and neighbors, and it made sense to fast with them, too. Accepting Islam was a process for me, although Islam does not have any sort of prescribed process for its acceptance. When an individual feels ready to submit to Islam, he or she needs only 2 Muslim witnesses, and to declare the creed of the Muslim, that Allah is One, and that Muhammad is of His prophets.

And, actually, I find fasting easier with each passing day--of course, there is logic in it, in that daylight has its ends cut off a little each day this time of year. In addition, though, I feel it picks up momentum. Menstruating women don't fast--and I find it actually more difficult to pick it up again after a week of eating during the day. It's a "soul fast," to me, rather than really a "body fast." One can easily live a day's light, in this climate, without food and water. It's the knowing there's baklava and dates, and fresh water in the fridge, that makes it difficult. It's simpler out of the house than it is staying home. But, staying home is better--where it is easier to pray and read Qur'an.

I am not sure when one must begin fasting, in terms of age, but Muslims are expected to keep prayers from the age of 10 for sure--Sauda surely can tell us the age. Most children begin by fasting half days here and there, then an occasional full day, and they develop their discipline slowly. Children are fed regular meals--which, with a small toddler, can be a challenge. Ds eats only a bite here and there through the day, so I keep nibbles out for him.

Alhamdulilah, this fast is going well for me. My mother even spent the whole day with me yesterday and was tolerant of the fast--and spoke about Osama bin Laden without connecting him to my faith and practice! I think we're approaching a turning point!
#20 of 26 Old 11-14-2002, 03:16 PM

Bismillah

A minor is not obligated to fast until they reach puberty;
and for the late bloomers, it becomes madatory by the age of 15.

It is highly recommended that the parents encouraged the adolescents to fast so that they may become use to it.

Personally I started fasting when I was 11 yrs. On the weekends though.

May Allah accept this dawa effort.

Salaams
#21 of 26 Old 12-05-2002, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Peace be upon us all!

Just bumping this thread up to let y'all know that we are in the evening of the last day of Ramadan, inshallah! (Evenings begin days, btw.) In North America, tomorrow, Thursday, will be the lst day of fasting, and Friday will be Eid ul Fitr, the Feast of the Breaking of the Fast.

On this day, Muslims join in the morning for a special prayer and sermon. Some share gifts. In our community, brothers and sisters welcome one another into their homes for company and refreshments. It is one of the two most special holidays in Islam.

The last 10 nights of Ramadan are special nights, during which we exert extra effort in prayer. One of these nights, filled with prayer, is better than a thousand nights.

I've invited my family for brunch this Sunday, to observe the end of the fast, and to include them in our practice. I plan to give my holiday gifts on that day.

And I am a little excited to wear my special blue velvet djellaba for the prayers.

Eid Mubarak--may Allah accept prayers and fasting from you and from us!
#22 of 26 Old 12-05-2002, 06:39 AM

Eid mubarak ... and may the energy of this celebration stay with you 'til the next year's ...

- Amy
#23 of 26 Old 12-05-2002, 11:30 AM

I was just thinking, shouldn't Eid be coming soon?

Have a wonderful day tomorrow, and hope the blessings of Ramadan carry you through this year.

Thanks for sharing this time with us . Mary
#24 of 26 Old 12-06-2002, 12:48 AM

I think Eid started today, or maybe on Friday. I believe it depends on where you live. Now that I'm not in Saudi, I miss my Eid vacation.
#25 of 26 Old 12-06-2002, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, it depends upon where you live, because it depends upon the visibility of the new moon, signaling the start of the new month.

Our Eid prayers are at 8:00 this morning. A close friend came over yesterday and did henna for me on my hands. Yay! Eid Mubarak!
#26 of 26 Old 12-06-2002, 10:52 AM

Blessed blessed Eid,
may peace be upon you and your family
may peace be upon all and their families

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page