feng shui - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 217 Old 02-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those with more knowledge than me:

- is there anywhere that is a good place for trash or a diaper pail? I moved our trash outside of our garage last week, as that space corresponds to Career.

And my DH needs Career help!

He was so angry all week with the trash outside. Complained every day about not being able to open the entry door to the garage and just toss his trash in there. I told him I'd handle the trash, don't worry, just throw it under the sink trash can.

So now the trash is back in that space, much to my dismay. I couldn't take his whining everyday.

- the diaper pail is in the laundry area which is hidden behind two doors. But that area is the Reflecting Pool or Health, depending on how you do the ba qua.

- we have a powder room/toilet area in Wealth. Yuck. I keep the door closed and try not to use it but my DH uses it. Should I put an octagon mirror on the door as well as keeping it closed? Or just decorate it in the Wealth colors and hope it doesn't hurt our Wealth?

TIA!!

Love this thread...
#62 of 217 Old 02-05-2003, 01:23 AM

Didnt have time read *all* the posts, but just dying to add my story too.

I was told I was infertile when I was 24. We planned on adopting a year or two after our wedding in '99. As a shower gift my husband's coworker gave me a GREAT book on Feng Shui called Clearing Your Clutter [by Karen Kingston? Kensington?] and I read through and found most of the ideas to be basic common sense and adapted most of the suggestions in our home. Five months after we married I went to the doctor because "Something was really wrong..." and turned out I was 8 weeks pregnant!! Wow.

The night we told my parents [who know of our adoption etc plans] I was pregnant they came over to take us to dinner and while we got ready my Mom was reading the books on the table and saw the Feng Shui one. She said to me "Feng Shui? Trying to get pregnant or something? Ha ha ha..." And I said "Well, actually..."

I am convinced that "Clearing Our Clutter" so to speak DID help us relax and enjoy each other enough to give focus to our goals and therefore I became pregnant. Could be wrong, but it sure didnt hurt. I am a complete convert now, own many books, and have even considered becoming a consultant some day.
#63 of 217 Old 02-05-2003, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

hey, can you post your very, very cool story in a thread I started in TTC. I think it would be enjoyed on that thread.
It's called "are you WooWOO" or something like that...I can't remember the title of my own thread.... geeze

but that is a great story.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#64 of 217 Old 02-06-2003, 01:41 AM

I was talking to a friend about this thread (and how it inspired me to seriously DEclutter and she mentioned her little bit of feng shui knowledge....

that the far right side of the house (from the front door) represents romance. ???? Is that true?

Because that room would be my little laundry room (which was a mess a few days ago). And currently the home of a stinky cloth, night-time diaper pail.

Is there any hope for my marriage? LOL.

(any tips? if that is true, first of all.)

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#65 of 217 Old 02-06-2003, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

in form school feng shui....if you are facing your front door. like you are about to walk in....the back, right corner of the house is the relationship corner. it's not just the corner, specifically, it is that whole area..... imagine a giant tic tac toe grid evenly spaced over your house. that whole upper right quad is relatinship.

hmmm. diaper pail. all day? Or only at night?

if that were my laundry room, I would put up some kind of romantic photo....yeah, I know it sounds silly. but I would still honor it as the relationship room. I probably put some little pink touches...and that does not mean a red sock in the white load...
I'd somehow treat it romantically.

One thing that is positive. Pairs of things are important for the relationship.... and well, a dryer and a washer are a well working team.

'by the way, make sure there is no leaky pipes.

#66 of 217 Old 02-06-2003, 02:55 AM

Ahhh, that's what I thought! When she said that, I thought "back, right corner" (that's what I thought I heard) and that would be my FAMILY ROOM.

I have LOTS of photos of my son on the wall (only 1 photo of "us.") I guess I should add more photos of "us" to honor our relationship.

It's mainly the home of 2 coaches, big 42" screen TV, surround sound stereo (for movies), 2 untidy bookshelves (hope to get a built in), and basically serves as my son's playroom. His toys are scattered in the corner and behind the couch. One corner has his changing table. Another corner has his art table.

I can work on it.... (just how to make a toy/media/reunion center romantic is the question.)

Thanks Tracy!

PS, that diaper pail is full until the weekly laundry. Only the nighttime, cloth, very wet diaper. 7 diapers max.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#67 of 217 Old 02-06-2003, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

you know...just so this is clear.
in form school.....

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

see that above?
imagine your whole house under that numerical grid. evenly spaced.

relationship is the 3 area

might as well go over the rest.
1 is wealth & abundance (color Purple/gold)
2 is fame (color: red)
3 is relationship (color: pink)
4 is family (color: green)
5 is health (color: yellow)
6 is creativity (white)
7 is knowledge (color: blue)
8 is work (color: black)
9 ishelper/angels... (color: grey)

i speak in general terms. and by the way, I am only using numbers here so that it is clear...there are specific numbers associated with feng shui, but i"m not using them here.

whoops almost forgot.... this is based on the front door entrance. the front door has to be either in 7, 8, 9

#68 of 217 Old 02-06-2003, 05:18 AM

I really want to figure this out, but my home is challenging (to me, at least)!

I live in a condo -- comparatively narrow, and three stories (upper, main, and walkout basement). First, how do you figure three stories into the grid?

Next, we've got a little set-in front porch, and you enter at a right-angle to the front wall of our unit. Does that make sense to you? Instead of having a door flat on the front of our "house" like most people's front doors are, you actually enter kinda a cubbyhole porch and turn left to go through our door, then you're in a wee foyer and you have to turn right immediately or else you step into our entryway closet. Once you turn right, however, you're in a semi-long hallway that's sorta centered, left-to-right, in our space. (A few feet in is the entrance to our half-bath on the left and a few feet further, the kitchen on the right -- these account for the hallway.)

Anyway, since the entrance is at right-angle to the house proper, that confuses me when it comes to the bagua. I mean, if the tic-tac-toe included that little cubbyhole that is our open front porch, it would be as though you're immediately crossing the line between the 8 and 9 boxes, stepping into our front door. But I suspect that the outside part isn't actually supposed to be part of the tic-tac-toe ... so where does that get me? If we ARE following the tic-tac-toe on that one floor, then 9 is my (outside) cubbyhole/porch, 8 is my tiny foyer, 7 is my entry closet, 6 is my kitchen, 5 is the hall, 4 is the entrybath/downstairs stairway, 3 is dining/living room (this part is bigger, probably double the depth of the rest of the grid), 2 is also dining/living room, and 1 is upstairs stairway and part of living room.

But that seems REALLY wierd.

And again, the upstairs/downstairs part also confuses me.

But maybe I shouldn't be trying to explain all this at 3 a.m......

TIA for any help you can offer.

Luci
#69 of 217 Old 02-06-2003, 05:40 AM

I'll take a crack at it, to get started.

1) apply the grid to each floor. you can also apply the grid to each room, so every room has a romance corner, etc

2) the parts that are outside are not usually part of the house, so you just sort of loose that side of the grid. ie: small, non-existant corner or something. odd shaped houses are a challenge.

3) the twisting in the entry probably isn't a problem because it tends to slow down the energy coming in from outside.

So, then you start evaluating each part of the grid. This is where I'm going to bow out until tomorrow, I got a little lost after the twisting, closet part. But, if I were more awake I'm sure I'd have a better clue. And of course, Tracy is the resident expert, I'm just the meddling hack

'nite!
#70 of 217 Old 02-06-2003, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

you are kind, but I'm no expert. I've just had it done to my house mutiple times (this is my 4th residence since beginning feng shui) plus I have a number of books....

You know I think, from a non pro's perspective...i need to see an outline...

MHM, I agree with you that most of the time you do leave out the outside, but sometimes, depending on the layout it does serve to include parts of the outside, especially if there are sections cut up.....but it is, imho, a case by case thing.... I know I didn't include the outside in my previous places but this house I have to be very careful with my back patio.....so, it is included...of sorts..i'm rambling.

lucimonster I'm going to pm you with my fax number.

#71 of 217 Old 02-06-2003, 08:18 PM

I know. I can't decide about the patio in my place. Our house is sorta long and there's 2 long rectangles, offset. So, the patio makes a perfect squaring off from the common walls of the mbr and kitchen. It is cement, and has a wood frame w/a clear plastic corogated "roof". It feels like part of the house, but it's definately outside.

I've really gotta clear the clutter before worring about whether the patio is in or out

And whether you're an expert or not, you're our resident guru and quite helpful

cheers!
#72 of 217 Old 02-07-2003, 05:58 PM

Mystichealermom, your patio seems quite a lot like mine. I say, include it! however i have a service bathroom at my back patio, just at the top right corner.... Uhm, maybe that's my problem? So i prefer not to include that toilet, but I do want to inlcude my small garden at the back patio cause it's growing so strong and that's my wealth corner. I guess I'm beinbg rather biased with my drawigs... oh well.
Trabot, regarding the old owners of the house, i do bedlieve their ghosts are pulling around all the time, and i'm almost sure they were great fighters.

Have a nice week end! Peace, Iva
#73 of 217 Old 02-11-2003, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

for those who care......

I saw my fs practitioner and asked a question about attics and basements. I didn't know how to utilize them because I don't have either so it never came up.....
anyway, she said that where the attic is or where the basement is located in terms of the section of the house...it can be used to activate that area.

In other words sometimes the basement is only in one section of the house so if it is in the relationship section you might want to put something down there, sort of your little secret. Maybe it is a love box. A box filled with some special photos, or a special perfume or maybe something suggestive of love...or even sex (for that matter) maybe a nice g string..ha...but you know little things that are special. Love special. Put that box down in the basement, in an area that isn't seen by anyone regularly. You can also put other little treasures down there which are symbolic of the energy of that you want to activate...
you know a box of 'jewels' or valuables, if your basement is in your wealth area.... they don't have to be real jewels but again, it is symbolic of what you want or want more of in your life...

the same goes for the attic. Put something in the area that you want to generate energy.

And of course, she repeated to me that once again, it is very important that there is no clutter in the attic or the basement. Ah, and you thought you were finished clearing out the clutter......not quite....

#74 of 217 Old 02-12-2003, 05:08 PM

WOW!! Great thread!!

I have yet to Feng Shui our new house and we moved in LAST JULY! This is SO motivating!!

ONe question that I can't seem to find the answer to -- if the garage is attached, does it get included in the overall bagua of the house? I almost always come and go through the garage and it is A MESS - still full of boxes and furniture to get rid of. So I know it has to be cleaned up/decluttered, but do I then treat it as my prosperity, family & knowledge/self awareness areas since that is what would be at that end of the house? Yipes!

Off to start DECLUTTERING...

Melissa
#75 of 217 Old 02-12-2003, 10:34 PM

My husband is beginning to suspect that feng shui is really an elaborate feminine plot designed to keep the toilet seat and lid down when not in use.
#76 of 217 Old 02-12-2003, 10:41 PM

hey, that's where the logic of feng shui comes in! with the lid up, your financial resources are going down the drain, right? well, with the lid down, the chances you'll drop your wallet (or pager or toothbrush, or ...) in the toilet are eliminated, right? Makes perfect sense

Unless you've got a toddler who flushes everything :mischeif
#77 of 217 Old 02-12-2003, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

your husband is right. The dowerger queen hated when the king left the gold seat up.

#78 of 217 Old 02-19-2003, 12:33 PM

great thread!

Decluttering is tough for me (and DP), and I'm sure it will improve our life...

Before getting into feng shui more, I have a question: in the compass school, does living in the southern hemisphere cause north-south to be inverted, or not???

For now, I'll put the form bagua (PaKua) over my appartment's plan and see where I am!
#79 of 217 Old 02-19-2003, 12:51 PM

We got an offer on our house after making some feng shui changes and really feng shui'ing it up for an open house. We counter offered and are waiting for a reply.
#80 of 217 Old 02-19-2003, 04:44 PM

mamaDsofi: Yes, living in the Southern Hemisphere do change things. I found a local (argentinian) web site where a Chinese man is very hard critisizing (sp?) the occidentalization of feng shui and he talks about the geographic differences of living in the South (el karma del vivir al sur...) If you think about it, they identify the South with the summer, the sun, the warm weather, and for us here it's right the opposite.
#81 of 217 Old 02-19-2003, 06:18 PM

absolutely Ivanhoe! I remember reading this now.

I think in the south (south of the equator) you just turn the bagua (or paqua) around. has to do with magnetic north and such, but also the sun and seasons. however, you can't really blame the westernization of feng shui because feng shui originated in Asia, all of which is north of the equator. however, when someone noticed this (don't know who, but I believe they were of Asian descent, and quite some time ago, centuries? and not a westerner) they adjusted the thinking for proper alignment. unfortunately, I don't know what school of thought to suggest going under. If I find it in my resource, I'll share.

the history of feng shui is almost as interesting as the theology.

#82 of 217 Old 02-21-2003, 01:39 PM

lurker checking in to report she has purchased FS for prosperity by Terah Collins and was up till midnight cleaning up, de-cluttering and making pretty, in a semi-panic. (with the state of most areas of the house and yard, i don't know why we haven't just fallen off the face of the earth!) i don't know whether to thank you or curse you, trabot!
i don't know how much weight intention carries, but i hope a lot, because with 2 little ones, i'm not going to be able to tackle all of this clutter and disarray, especially in our wild tangle of the back half of our back yard, anytime soon.
i'm sure i'll be back with plenty of questions!
susan
#83 of 217 Old 02-21-2003, 01:53 PM

Last night I bought a copy of "Clear Your Clutter With Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

It is so thin and cheap ($10 or so) I couldn't resist.

I started reading it last night and couldn't put it down. Very fast read, very motivational. I couldn't start de-cluttering last night because my legs were aching (was running around all day).

I felt panicked at first too. OMG there is so much! But in my mind I started getting psyched about all the junk that was going to out the door (and hopefully, all my procrastinating, and low-energy as well.)

What she says is very true... I feel stuck, lacking direction, tired all the time. It's hard to get motivated.... I'm eager to see the clutter disappear and see how I feel...

DH cleaned out his closet recently (to my shock) totally on his own. He got a very nice raise and promotion 2 days ago. Coincidence??? Neale Donald Walsch (Conversations with God) says there are no coincidences.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#84 of 217 Old 02-21-2003, 02:12 PM

Thank you girls!

It just wouldn't make sense to me NOT to turn it around in the S Hemisphere!

I'm working on removing clutter. I found my whealth zone is in my bedroom, so if I clear it up, will I be whealthier? What are you supposed to do with the zones you want to improve (besides decluttering, Of Course!)? I will be tackling the "knoledge" zone, as that's the laundry room and FULL of broken, piled-up things, and I need my DP to do well in his studies!

I too, have felt very un-motivated for a couple of years (was I ever different???) but I really see a change, mostly in my attitude, so I'll buy the woo-woo factor if it helps me getting up and taking care of myself and my house!
#85 of 217 Old 02-21-2003, 04:04 PM

I like the author that trabot recommended too. I looked through some other feng shui books in the library and felt like I needed to stand on my head and hang coins from my toes on red ribbon, in other words, too much to think about. I'll stick with the Collins book for awhile.

We spruced up our wealth areas. Our counter offer on the house was accepted and our tax refund looks quite pleasing. So I'll take the woo-woo factor too. My husband will even continue to keep the lid down on the toilet. He might start doing the same thing in the workshop.
#86 of 217 Old 02-21-2003, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I've been busy with a job lately so I haven't been able to post here....

I'm so glad you guys like the Feng Shui for prosperity book. I just thought it was one of the easiest reads and excellent, excellent examples. it really is one of those, "Oh, now I get it" books.

and of course I know you are cursing me too..... you should try being MARRIED to me. My poor husband. Although, he now is very gung ho...and has made changes himself because he thought the energy was wrong.

Re: southern hemisphere...yes, yes, yes. I feel like such an A** for not even doing that mathwork when your posting first came, Ivanhoe. I am so glad you have mad e the changes..... by the way, you are including your patio, now, aren't you? i really was pro-that.... did you get the FS prosperity book, too?
I think it will be a great resource.

Leaflady...CONGRATS!!!!! now when you move, you need to bring all your F.S. knowledge to the new place. by the way, one thing I learned about selling a house is that sometimes painting the door red will help selling it.

celestial: You know I have thought about your question and I didn't get a chance to ask my own fs consultant...but at first glace I think I would design them so that just those little areas or room that stick out from the rectangle. so even if they are in the bedroom, which you do want a bathroom there...they stick out a bit from the retangle..but not in a way that the whole rectangle is thrown off. but , I don't know...that's my idea.

Tannibani...the clear the clutter book looks good. I think i've read another book from the author...I think...I should double check.

just a small little note...anyone doing compass feng shui...which we now do in our house...next year is the big year of change....arghh...i'm scared what kind of changes that mean.....

#87 of 217 Old 02-21-2003, 04:49 PM

I'm reading Kingston's book and enjoying it. She has a lot of detail, and the book is small so it won't add more to your clutter inky
#88 of 217 Old 02-23-2003, 02:20 AM

okay, as promised, i'm back with a few questions.
most importantly, we need to work on the front entrance to our house. our career area runs from five feet out from the front door in to our foyer. so part of our career area is in the front yard and the front door is recessed and rather dark because the garage juts out to the left of it.
first, isn't it auspicious to paint your front door a shade of red? is that okay even if career area colors are supposed to be black or very dark hues? can a mirror be used to simulate the water element on the approach to our front door somehow, or will that screw up the flow of chi into the house? (we don't have an electrical outlet outside to plug a fountain in by the door, that would be my first choice. dh wants a mirror.)
any suggestions would be appreciated. i've put some flowering shade plants in pots under the arch on the right side of the approach to our front door, and we're going to expand the sidewalk approach with flagstone, and i'm trying to keep it swept clean. how about a crystal somewhere? hanging from the front of the overhang that covers the last five feet of sidewalk up to the door?

also, our wealth area is in our kitchen and part of that is outside too. we'll anchor that corner. but there's a window box that juts out of the house in the fame area of the kitchen, in front of the sink (and i love it). do i need to worry about that screwing up the flow of chi or the unity of the room?
tia,
susan
#89 of 217 Old 02-23-2003, 11:20 AM
Banned

Red is an auspicious color for a door (I need to work on our door when the weather breaks :-)

If the mirror would be facing your door that's a FS no-no because the chi would be reflected right out the front door.

Big important thing (and if you read Karen Kingston's book you will *know* this) is to keep the front entrance clear of clutter. Nothing to impede the chi.

Apparently keeping clear of clutter is the number 1 feng shui thingie.

I have a picture of three koi to enhance my wealth area (as well as an origami mobile but that's getting dusty and I need to ask my daughter to make another one :-)

If the mirror is facing out perhaps you could represent water with a lovely print of a water scene (which is what I did with my koi, they are a print of a 19th century Japanese painting)

BTW: has anyone read Denise Linn's books??

DB
#90 of 217 Old 02-23-2003, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I think I read a Denise Linn book.... was it something like "Sacred Space"....or something like that..I think that was her's...and I remember I liked the book..
It was a long time ago and all a bit fuzzy.

Yes..red door is very good. I might go for wind chimes instead of a fountain.

But always, clear the mess.
I too have put a mirror facing outward.
I presonally would wait a bit before the crystals. I guess my thinking is do all the other stuff and then come in with the crystals.

One think you might anchor your wealth section with is ....one of the multicolor pinwheel.

You know I should go find a link for some feng shui paraphenlia...
let me see..

Again I would recommend the Western Feng Shui for prosperity book. I think it would give you some additional thoughts...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page