buddha-babies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2002, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I am trying to learn more about Buddhism and Buddhist philosophy (reading, going to meditation groups, services ... still very much exploring) and wondered if there are any resources for introducing children to Buddhism? Any Buddhist mamas out there who would share their stories?

Thanks!
Jill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2002, 05:29 PM

Jill,
A couple weeks ago I lent all my 'Buddhist' childrn's books to a friend, and she just returned most of them this morning--they're here in my UUSC bag right next to the desk!

The Hungry Tigress--Rafe Martin
The Wisdom of the Crows--Sherab Chodzin & Alexandra Kohn

The Brave Little Parrot--Rafe Martin
The Goose King--Judith Ernst

I Once Was a Monkey--Jeanne M. Lee
Buddha Stories--Demi

Hungry Tigress is excellent collection with few or no illustrations.
Wisdom is short, well-illustrated collection.
Goose King and Parrot are both single stories & picture-books.
Remaining two are illustrated, short collections of tales from various lives of the Buddha.
The top two are my favorites, and Parrot is a great picture-book but they're all pretty good.
Other titles to follow!
Old 11-14-2002, 04:42 AM

Hey, this is a great topic! I'm a Buddhist mom too but haven't really thought much about books that will introduce the topic to our dd who is 2 1/2. It's getting time! I'm going to look up those books Teresa suggested. Any more?
Old 11-16-2002, 12:11 AM

I have a fantastic little book that tells the story of a boy who is born, lives and dies... and is reborn again as a little girl. It's a good introduction to reincarnation and karma from a kid's POV - the children in the book are Asian and it's very simple and nicely illustrated.

If only I could remember the NAME of it for you, lol! I'll try to find it this weekend AND remember to come back here and post it, LOL!

Old 11-20-2002, 07:08 AM

I thought maybe you were referring to reincarnated buddhists - Like in Blue Jean Buddhas. It had some intresting accounts of eastern buddhists reincarnated in the west and how the now-western buddhists were dealing with their past selves.

I hadn't thought of books, either, just thought I'd wing it, but I suppose it will come up

Thanks

PS - Hey, Thao, (thought I might find you here) your inbox is full, I've been trying to write to you for nearly a week - I'll try again tonight...
Old 01-16-2003, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by madison
I have a fantastic little book that tells the story of a boy who is born, lives and dies... and is reborn again as a little girl. It's a good introduction to reincarnation and karma from a kid's POV - the children in the book are Asian and it's very simple and nicely illustrated.

If only I could remember the NAME of it for you, lol! I'll try to find it this weekend AND remember to come back here and post it, LOL!

I believe it's "The Moutains of Tibet" though I could be wrong. It has the kite in it, right?
Old 09-01-2004, 12:38 PM

Yes, it's 'The mountains of Tibet' I have that book as well for ds!

Here is the result of a search I did on Amazon a few days ago for Buddhist books for children (they are hard to come by it seems!) :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...295996-0082833

Old 09-01-2004, 02:59 PM

I'm excited about this list of books for children...I have an eclectic (sp?) view on religion and Buddhism is one I love...there are many temples in my area with celebrations regularly that I find wholesome and beautiful. thanks for the recs.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:21 PM

A much loved book in our home is "All the Way to Lhasa" by Barbara Helen Berger. The illustrations are lovely and the simple story can be read on many levels.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:23 PM

we also like "Each Breath a Smile" -inspired by the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh. He has authored one called "A Pebble For Your Pocket" that we haven't read yet.

I also consider "The Dandelion Seed" to be Buddhist in that it's a good introduction to the life cycle-rebirth concept.

My dd also likes "I Once Was A Monkey"

We also have a paperback I think is called The Story of the Buddha -Siddhartha's story. It's a bit above 4 1/2, but I edit a little. It has brightly colored pictures that dd likes.

User Tag List