Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2002, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the thread Questions About God

Bekka wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes God lets bad people make bad choices to condemn themselves.
Rom ch8 vs1 says... (KJV)
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus...

What's the difference between CONDEMNATION and CONVICTION?

Is it as simple as condemnation is for the unsaved and
conviction is for the "saved"??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2002, 08:49 PM

John 3:18-20

He that believeth on [the Son] is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. (KJV)

In my understanding, the condemnation is that we bring the condemnation onto ourselves when we do evil deeds, even though the light is available to all. God is not out to condemn us (see verse 17 of above chapter), but through His wisdom, He allows us to choose the light. When we choose the light, we are no longer condemned.

I would contend that choosing the light is the first step, and conviction follows, very often, because I feel convicted sometimes, and other times I feel like I'm straying back over to the dark. It's at those times that I pray less, study scripture less, etc., i.e., I don't "come to the light, lest my deeds will be reproved."
Old 11-14-2002, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Condemnation is like a death sentence. The only way to escape condemnation is through Christ.

Conviction is a call to repentance. Jesus convicts me of my sins so that I can repent and be drawn closer to Him.

Jesus convicts us of our sins so that we will repent and escape condemnation. Does that make sense?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 11-14-2002, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

So if I'm actively following Christ - and I "miss the mark" - then I am convicted - so that I can make a change to bring myself into alignment with Christ.

If I choose to turn from Christ or choose evil over Christ - I am condemned?

If that is what you are saying - then I think I get it.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:54 PM

Conviction is a positive and something that comes from within (The Holy Spirit, or our conscious, convicts us.)
Condemnation is a negitive reaction that is imposed on us by someone else or ourselves. Condemnation does not come from God. God convicts not condems. He speaks to and convicts all people not just those professing Christ.

b.
Old 11-14-2002, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PD - according to the way I see you have got it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List