What is in a Name....Pagan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-16-2002, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
* perhaps this should be addressed to Wiccans...but please , anyone feel free to answer*

* Allow me to start by saying that I am not asking for you to tell me your name. *

All that aside....Do you feel that it is necessary to adopt another name, I understand that it is considered an outward symbol of ones choosen path and to some even a symbol of rebirth.
This is an issue that I have struggled with, I find it hard to bestow myself with a name, it makes me feel self important. Am I making any sense at all?
#2 of 13 Old 11-16-2002, 09:17 PM

Are you talking about a working name? I know many wiccans have different names for different uses. Some have a name that they chose for themselves that they use in ritual. Some have a name given to them by their deity. Some change their legal name.

I don't feel it is necessary to adopt another name. It's a choice. At least it's a choice when you are the one choosing :-)

Maybe you might feel differently if the name was given to you? Have you asked your deity to name you? You could try that if it interests you and him/her/them.
#3 of 13 Old 11-16-2002, 10:22 PM

I was reading a discussion about this subject not too long ago. The consensus at that particular board seemed to be that it was not necessary, and that it you did not feel led to do so, maybe you shouldn't.

I don't have a magickal name, but then I am also not Wiccan. One of the nice things about Pagan paths, is that they are so personal. There are no absolute rights and wrong, just what works for the individual.
#4 of 13 Old 11-17-2002, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Arduinna and khrisday.....

""" It's a choice. At least it's a choice when you are the one choosing :-)""""

HeHehee! Too TRUE!
#5 of 13 Old 11-17-2002, 11:04 AM

I don't use a name either..
but then, I don't use a lot of the trappings... I don't robe, I freely substitute ingredients for rituals, I'm just not very orthodox that way.

To me, the power is in the intent of the person. The props can help.. and I do use some.. an athame, candles, incenses, etc...
but they are to HELP.. to inspire...

The magick comes from ME... from my heart and from my will.
I believe that if you are powerful and focused enough, it doesn't matter what you use or how you work.

Just my opinion of course. But lately I have been really getting into using everyday objects, trying to find the extrordinary in the ordinary.. everyday magicks.

So, to get back to your original question, no name for me.. though I am also not Wiccan.
#6 of 13 Old 11-17-2002, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I have never really subscribed to the regime of one path...however I have several aquaintances that are Wiccan and they often speak of working only under their "name"
asherah, It sounds as if we are woking from the same place... althought I appreciate someones strick use of certain objects and ritual... I too find myself using what is at hand and applying my Magick to what is before me....

"But lately I have been really getting into using everyday objects, trying to find the extrordinary in the ordinary.. everyday magicks." if find a good use for dryer lint let me know
#7 of 13 Old 11-18-2002, 10:54 AM

Hmmm. Dryer lint?
Maybe you could make it into an offering for Hestia.. the Goddess who most appreciates housework!
#8 of 13 Old 11-18-2002, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe I'm wrong (not a pagan just married by one, who happens to be one of my best friends) but I had the idea that a 'working name' was partly to protect you.... that if you are known to the Wise (or the gods or what you prefer) by a particular name it is very difficult for others to work against you unless they know that name.
#9 of 13 Old 11-18-2002, 06:29 PM

I was looking for another spirituality thread when I found your dryer lint quest--I actually found someone who makes sculptures out of dryer lint and some kind of clay mix! They are actually quite interesting-and a very creative wat of recycling too!
Just when you thought you had heard it all!
#10 of 13 Old 11-18-2002, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hehehe.. I think we have hit upon a new enterprising business

Statues, sculptures, perhaps jewlery and quilted cloaks for those outdoor Yule ceremonies... all from dryer lint.... we good pull midnight raids on the local laundramat..
Forgive me.... I have gotten carried away!
#11 of 13 Old 11-19-2002, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've heard of using lint to stuff pillows.

"What will you do once you know?"
#12 of 13 Old 11-19-2002, 04:26 AM

Hi Lilac Moon and everybody. I walk a path between Catholic and Pagan. I was curious about the name issue. I was wondering if you could explain more about 'taking a name' for rebirth? It sounds beautiful.
#13 of 13 Old 11-28-2002, 03:08 AM

Lilac and Autumn:

The original reasons for taking a Magickal name were two-fold. First of all, it was to protect those who were not "out of the broom closet". Even today, we have people who are harrassed, fired or lose custody of their children, just because of their religion. This is easier to avoid if you have a non de plume, so to speak. Secondly, it was a sign of your rededication into a new life, a new path and a new way of thinking- very similer to a confirmation name.

In the more Orthodox Trads (Othalla, and any of the BTW's to name a few) the Magickal name is one that is given to you by your initiating Priestess at your Dedication. Kinda like your Spiritual mother is naming you, as you enter the babyhood of your new religion.

In the more Eclectic Trad's, anyone can take as many names as they want, choose them themselves and change them at will.

Hope this helps, and yes, I do have a Magickal name: Calluna, the latin word for Heather. My Priestess gave it to me when I dedicated into Othalla Wicca.

HipMomma

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page