Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Spirituality Archives
The Soul's Conception?

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Spirituality
Author Topic: The Soul's Conception?
Gallina
Member posted 06-09-2001 07:22 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent conversations her on the Boards have gotten me a-thinking.... a few people have said that they have felt souls asking them to be their mothers, and so went ahead and allowed these souls to be conceived.
SOmeone also said that a child's soul enters at the moment of birth, which doesn't ring true for me because the unborn child has a lot of personality and presence! And I feel my daughter is familiar in some ways as if I've always known her, as if she's always been with me.
SO I'm asking, who has felt their child 'hovering' at the time of conception?
What are your theories on this 'souls waiting to be born' thing? Where are they, and what role does sex play in the whole thing (apart from sperm and egg)?

daisymae
Member posted 06-09-2001 05:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe in pre-birth communication, but I haven't figured it all out yet . I know I recognized my son the moment I saw and held him, even though he had been born to someone else (I got to raise him for seven months, but couldn't adopt him). I also knew immediately that I was pregnant the last time I conceived. I have had 3 miscarriages, and I miss having my children with me, but when I am pregnant again, it will be like a soul trying again to come to me. That's why the experience of miscarrying does not compare to the grief I still feel over not having my boy in my life.
What exactly do you mean as far as what role sex plays?
Here are a couple of websites that might interest you:
http://www.prebirth.com/cfl.html

http://www.childpastlives.com/

madison
Member posted 06-12-2001 02:21 PM
I have a book I want to tell you about but I might have packed it up (I'm trying to move into a new apartment). I'll see if I can find it.
It was by a very well known (in the 60's?) doctor with an alternative veiw who interviewed a whole bunch of people who remembered the time before birth and when they remembered incarnating fully. Very few were fully "with" the fetus during the first trimester, some were with the body during the 2nd trimester, some joined with the body during the 3rd trimester and the rest joined the body during birth. All the souls came in and out of the body, though some liked being inside the body all warm and cozy and some felt cramped in there - very individual responses! I wish I could remember her name, it's on the tip of my tongue...

And yes, I've had a pre-conceptive vision of what my future kids, a dream of a son, and several dreams involving visiting with my ex-gf's daughter.

ediesmom
Member posted 06-12-2001 02:52 PM
I have felt all of my children enter my body. More than that, I have dreamed them, their names and sexes. My second child,who was stillborn, I wanted to call Pheobe, I kept dreaming that she was Zoe Dagmar. Thats what I named her. I dreamed Edie's name, and boy did I fight that one. Edith was never a consideration! But I suppose she knew herself better than I knew her at that point.

jfsmay
Member posted 06-15-2001 11:15 PM
Madison, was it Life before Life by Dr Helen Wambach? She is mentioned, as is her book, by Carol Bowman in Carol's new book, Return from Heaven. I am just finishing this book and have been blown away by the information in it. My DH thinks I am having a mental breakdown because all I want to do is talk to him (catholic) about the concepts in the book. These boards are such a blessing!

Katgut
Member posted 06-18-2001 12:11 AM
i never really though about this because I was raised Mormon and one of their beliefs is that our souls existed before birth and dwelt with god in 'heaven' or what they call the 'pre-mortal existance'. So this seems so normal to me that it feels weird that people even talk about it.
I don't really follow all of the Mormon beliefs these days but I do believe that the souls or spirits of babies certainly exist before birth and even before conception. I also believe that these spirits have some say in who their parents are and when they're coming down.

I believe that our rolls as parents is to create a body for these spirits to come and live in.

When I had my miscarriage one thing that really comforted me was the Mormon belief that we come to earth to gain a body and be tested to a certain degree ( different for each person). So when a baby is sent to be in a body that is going to be miscarried then basically that spirit was already proven worthy to return and only needed to come long enough to gain a body. Every child is a blessing no matter how long they're with us even if it's only a few months or weeks in our womb.

Like I said I don't really follow all of the Mormon beliefs much but some of them I hold onto because they comfort me and help me make sense of the world.

Katie

bonita
Member posted 06-18-2001 01:28 AM
Wow, it's amazing how you can take something that was just a feeling of mine and articulate it...ok, that prolly didn't make any sense, but oh well.
I knew my son the whole time he was pregnant. I knew his personality, I just had a "feeling" distinct to him. I still do. I knew I was pregnant before I had a test, even before I missed a period. I'm not sure if I consciously knew, but I did on some level. I felt an intense need to get pregnant. I also felt that there were time contraints, like it was something I needed to do now because later it would not be a possibility. I never thought of it as my son telling me that he needed to be born, but maybe that was it. I even knew his name. People always ask me how I picked his name, and I don't know how to answer them, because I feel like he picked it. It wasn't debatable.

MilkyDay
Member posted 06-18-2001 09:37 AM
There is a story in the museum told by a native woman a long time ago. Her baby died when very young, and he returned to her in a dream and told her that he would come back, be born to her again. But he would need her to keep a piece of the umbilical cord (and some other things I can't recall) so that he could find her again.
I was moved by this story, and happy that I kept a piece of dd's umbilical cord, dried in a little knot and stored in a handmaid leather pouch with other important talismans.
No one told me to do this, I just felt moved to. I feel that this protects her in a way.

It is hard to deny that the spirits of our children do exist before conception, but still, I get the sense that the circumstances of conception, gestation, and birth determine how fully and completely these spirits are allowed to manifest.

It's about potential. You may feel some 'cherubim' hovering, asking you to be their mother, but there are certain conditions that need to be established before it is possible for them to actualize
as your children. Namely, spermatoza, the egg, a ripe womb, a healthy environment, and a whole wack of energy. This energy is determined by things we don't really understand like the positions of the moon, sun, stars, etc. It is also determined, I believe, by the intensity of the sexual union that brings these forces together.
Human beings are obviously different in many ways from other animals, and that includes sex. A man is made for a woman, and a woman for a man, and when they come together sexually, it can be very powerful. For a brief moment, they are complete, and a new being is created in that Love.
And a woman usually, on some level, knows immediately that something is different.
I think the whole process is quite beautiful, including the birth, but that's a whoooole other story.
And in no way am I suggesting that this is the only way---after all, some of us are not made for men, and vice versa, but philosophically I question the effects of technological interference like in-vitro fertilization, which seems really weird, and even artificial insemination.
Speculation only!

Well yesterday everywhere I went I saw pregnant women with big beautiful bellies, and I sure wanted to have one too!
Hmmm....

madison
Member posted 06-19-2001 05:06 PM
There is an out of print book by Dr. Gladys McGarey about prebirth and preconception communication experiences. She came at the question from interviewing something like 900 people who remembered experiences and extrapolated the data about prebirth. It is a fascinating book.
I also have one titled "Babies Remember Birth" but cannot remember who wrote it.

An amazon search should bring it up.

MeowMama
Member posted 06-29-2001 04:08 PM
There is a wonderful book called, "Journey of Souls" by Dr. Micheal Newton. In it he talks about when a soul enters the body of a baby still in the womb. While it can be at the moment of birth, that isn't always the case. Some souls decide to join their physical body early on, some later in the pregnancy. Some souls join early on but then "hop about" from time to time. Meaning they leave the body and go exploring.
The book also goes into detail about how new souls are born. It is very interesting!

mamamoon2001
Member posted 06-29-2001 08:40 PM
With my first Ds I knew before my period was late that I was pregnant my dh thought that I was nuts because I had been told that I couldn't have children and had thought that one day and then the next was insisting that I was pregnant. That pregnancy was really hard emotionally but I knew that I had to have that child. I still have a connection with him that I'm sure is totally normal but it blows me away everyday.
My second son I was actually suprised that I was pregnant. We had been trying for nine months, I had a miscarraige and then got pregnant two weeks later. I think I was still grieving and feeling that child around so I didn't "feel" pregnant.
Here is interesting twist on the topic. My husband and I agreed to not have any more children. Our second son was very ill when he was born and I found out I have a blood disorder thats screws up my kids plalets at birth. My dh and I basically made the choice to not have more kids out of fear of what could happen medically. Then one night I kept feeling the spirit of my friend Shane who has passed around me. I went into the other room where it was more quite and he told me that if I wanted to have more children he would help a healthy soul to me. Right afterward the name Kylor Angelo popped in my head. So now we are starting to think about maybe having another child in a few years.

Vicki
Member posted 06-29-2001 10:40 PM
Wow, it's great to find a place to talk about neat things like this. I'm a Scientologist and we definitely believe in past and future lives. We generally believe that a spirit enters a body a few minutes after birth but it can vary. He/she may be hanging around long before birth and watch the birth.
Although I didn't perceive my ds at conception, my husband and I looked back later and joked about how he sure thought that it was time for us to have a baby. Two broken condoms (in a row) later and we agreed that we were ready to have him.

I certainly felt like he was hanging around nearby while I was pregnant.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page