Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Spirituality Archives
scientology..... what is it???????????

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Spirituality
Author Topic: scientology..... what is it???????????
full moon
Member posted 06-06-2001 03:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know there are some well known people out there like Tom Cruise etc that believe in this, but what is it?

nursing mother
Member posted 06-06-2001 03:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From what I know which isn't much it was started by Mary Baker Eddy, who believed in the power of mental thinking. They believe they can mentally pray away sickness and other ailments as well as mentally control ones state of health. Thats really all I know. Maybe there is someone who's know alot more, it does seem that alot of celebrities are getting into it.

full moon
Member posted 06-06-2001 03:49 PM
well does not sound so bad

Yammer
Moderator posted 06-06-2001 04:09 PM
No, Mary Baker Eddy founded Christian Science.
Scientology, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year, according to its website (www.scientology.org) is the brainchild of L. Ron Hubbard, the prolific author of westerns and science fiction novels. In 1950, Hubbard published "Dianetics!", the foundation of the religion.

Hubbard theorizes that the universe is comprised of matter and of animating spirit.

Hubbard believes that there is a God, but his religion does not say much about Him or It. Rather, the goal of Scientology is to liberate each parishioner from stress, psychosomatic illness, and negative thinking. Through structured interviews conducted by an Auditor, with the assistance of an "e-meter" (a potentiometer -- when gripped, it determines the electrical conductivity of the person being interviewed), harmful repressed memories and wounds, called "Engrams," are brought to the fore and understood. When all of the Engrams have been revealed, the person is now "Clear" -- no longer crippled by their past emotional injuries, and thus able to realize their full potential.

Should the parishioner wish to develop above Clear, then they can undertake steps to discover within themselves their immortal spirit, which Hubbard called the Thetan.

Scientology is controversial, having been attacked by disgrunted former members and then engaging in spirited litigation against its enemies (including Time Magazine).

Kaely
Member posted 06-06-2001 04:27 PM
Scientology was started by L Ron Hubbard in 1950 when he wrote Dianetics: The Modern Science of Metal Health
A few quotes from their website:

quote:
Do Scientologists use medical doctors?
Yes. The Church of Scientology has always encouraged its staff and parishioners to see medical doctors to handle the physical aspect of any illness or injury. Once a Scientologist with a physical condition receives the needed medical treatment he can resume his auditing and so handle any spiritual trauma connected with the physical condition. Many medical doctors also are Scientologists.

What does “clear the planet” mean?

It means that Scientologists want to rid the planet of insanity, war and crime, and in its place create a civilization in which sanity and peace exist. In order to do this, they must help individuals become free of their own individual insanities and regain awareness that they are basically good.

What do the terms preclear and auditor mean?

A preclear is someone who is receiving Scientology or Dianetics auditing on his way to becoming Clear. Through auditing he is finding out more about himself and life.

An auditor is a Dianetics or Scientology practitioner trained in the technology of auditing. Auditor means “one who listens” (from the Latin word audire). An auditor listens and computes, applying standard technology to preclears to help them achieve the abilities stated on the Classification, Gradation and Awareness Chart. An auditor’s job is to ask the preclear to look, and get him to do so.

What is the E-Meter and how does it work?

E-Meter is a shortened term for electro-psychometer. It is a religious artifact used as a spiritual guide in auditing. It is for use only by a Scientology minister or a Scientology minister-in-training to help the preclear locate and confront areas of spiritual upset.

How much does it cost to go Clear?

The cost varies depending on which path one takes.

One way is to donate for auditing and participate in auditing services all the way up to Clear. The preferred route, however, is to become trained as an auditor and co-audit with another Scientologist. The co-auditing route to Clear requires far less in donations than to only have auditing ministered to oneself, plus one helps another to progress spiritually. As auditing costs much more for the church to supply (requiring several staff for each parishioner) donations necessarily must be higher. Training is much more economical and an incentive for persons to receive training and then co-audit, without cost, to the state of Clear.

No matter which path one chooses, all who have attained the state of Clear express the pricelessness of the increased spiritual freedom they have achieved.

What is the difference between Scientology and Dianetics?

Dianetics comes from the Greek dia meaning “through” and nous, “soul.” It is further defined as “what the soul is doing to the body.”

Dianetics uncovers the source of unwanted sensations and emotions, accidents, injuries and psychosomatic illnesses, and sets forth effective handlings for these conditions. Further research into the spiritual aspects of Dianetics led to the discovery of Scientology.

Scientology, on the other hand, is the study and handling of the spirit in relationship to itself, to universes and to other life. Through the practice of Scientology one can increase his spiritual awareness and ability and realize his own immortality.

Dianetics and Scientology both utilize the E-Meter and basic rules of auditing.

And here's their web page:
http://www.scientology.org/home.html

[This message has been edited by Kaely (edited 06-06-2001).]

nursing mother
Member posted 06-07-2001 08:44 AM
Sorry for giving out the wrong info. I should have know Yammer would get it right. Great research!

Ginger in the woods
Member posted 06-07-2001 09:33 AM
Now that sounds really interesting. also scientologists, I believe, are John travolta, and Kyrstie Alley. ~G

full moon
Member posted 06-07-2001 11:33 AM
my first impression is that you pay to be brain washed. I don't know, it sound a little strange now.
anyone out there who believes in this????

Iguanavere
unregistered posted 06-07-2001 01:11 PM
Here is the link to the Skeptic's Dictionary which has a fair approach to what Scientology is....
In my opinion, it is not a religion - but who am I to say what is a religion and what isn't - any philosophy could be a religion.

http://www.skepdic.com/dianetic.html

Madame Ovary
Member posted 06-07-2001 02:10 PM
Scientology is a cult!!!!!! I've known of several people who've joined, never to be heard from again. The goal is to progress up a series of levels, each of which costs dearly-- tens of thousands of dollars!!!!! No Kidding! The celebrities join because they have an inner circle, and their careers benefit immensely (i.e. John Travolta.) Many, many others in the entertainment industry (in which I was peripherally involved) join in hopes of making the right connections. I have no doubt that the underlying philosophy is very interesting, but don't be fooled. The organizational heirarchy is in business to make lots of money, and they do. It is a religion, after all.

Yammer
Moderator posted 06-07-2001 03:02 PM
Be careful what you write about the L Ronners -- Scientology pursues potential slander and libel cases with great appetite.

Pallas
Member posted 06-07-2001 07:08 PM
L. Ron did say once that he could invent a religion based on b.s. (I'm SO paraphrasing here). I wonder if (a) he got caught up in his own head game or (b) tragically died before he could shout "GOTCHA!"
But then, there's the (I think) Platonic story about the man who invented a religion, acquired followers, and then told them it was a crock. They killed him, and kept right on believing.

Wonder if Hubbard was familiar with that story ...

suseyblue
Member posted 06-07-2001 10:39 PM
thanks for bringing that up, pallas; he *was* a failed science fiction writer, after all... it had to rankle. it seems pretty obvious to me that that's what he did, anyway.
suse

Little J's Mom
Member posted 06-08-2001 06:25 AM
full moon's got it right! Brain washing is right on the "money".(Pun intended)
I got sucked into that when I was 19. Was basically on my own living in Mt View, Ca. They tried getting every penny out of me that they could. After finding out about a savings account that my Grandparents started for me when I was born they tried like all hell to get me to cash it in. I was very nieve(sp?) but did finally wise up and got the hell out of there. I still get outraged just thinking/writing about it.
I must say, though, that there are some things that made sense but like every thing else you just take what works for you and leave the rest. Well anyway, that's my two cents worth.
I feel a little better. Thanks for listening.

madison
Member posted 06-08-2001 09:57 AM
The big Hollywood Center is right up the street from me, and working in the entertainment industry, I hear a bit here and there about them. I don't know alot about it and I have no desire to find out - they mostly seem to be about money, prestige and hidden power - not what I value in my spiritual life. For some reason, the creep me out.

full moon
Member posted 06-08-2001 10:36 AM
this could be a down fall in human kind. what would happen if these powerful people got out of hand and started trying to brain wash everyone "or else"?
it could be atlantis all over again.
About them being a "cult" I dought that, people say my religon is a cult and that is soooo far from the truth. what a bunch a doo doo. this is why I don't judge people as being part of a cult right off the bat!

Holistic Momma
Member posted 06-08-2001 03:38 PM
Nursing Mother, there are definitely too many "science" religions. That was an easy mistake to make, I made it myself. I received some info from the Christian Scientist faith and one of the things they sent was their monthly publication with Val Kilmer (actor) on the cover. So I just naturally assumed that this was the religion that all the stars were joining.
People were quick to correct my faulty logic.

daisymae
Member posted 06-09-2001 05:32 PM
I read one of his books and the one thing that made sense was about the "engrams" but he has twisted it in some ways. I mean, we all know what happens during trauma, right? I totally believe that uncovering the first moments of trauma and getting "unstuck" will transform a person's life, but you sure as hell don't have to join Scientology and give them all of your money in order to do it.

frolix
Member posted 06-11-2001 01:43 PM
John Travolta seems like a decent sort.
[This message has been edited by frolix (edited 06-11-2001).]

taverner
Member posted 06-12-2001 07:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by frolix:
John Travolta seems like a decent sort.

...unless you've seen any of his movies lately!

Battlefield Earth, anyone?

BB,

Taverner

Yammer
Moderator posted 06-12-2001 08:21 AM
Battlefield Earth was great. Well, maybe not great, but it was made with a distinct vision in mind. Compare that to canned, borrowed crap like Swordfish, and I do.

sagemama
Member posted 06-20-2001 02:58 PM
Battlefield earth was written by L. Ron Hubbard.
It is scientology propaganda

Yammer
Moderator posted 06-20-2001 03:24 PM
Yes, but so what? "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" is Christian propaganda. (And far less fun.)
[This message has been edited by Yammer (edited 06-20-2001).]

lunarmomma
Moderator posted 06-21-2001 02:51 PM
I was born in the former hospital-now-turned-Scientology
headquarters. It used to be Cedars of Lebanon hospital. Now it is painted a strange shade of baby blue. Nothing medical about it now, unless you can call brain washing a medical procedure!
Those guys have got quite a racket going! doesn't appeal to me in the least.

suseyblue
Member posted 06-21-2001 11:16 PM
allegory isn't nearly to my taste; if you want tastier christian 'propaganda', yammer, do lotr
btw, narnia IS a lot more fun if you are 9 years old. and I DO hope you weren't talking cartoon adaptations!
battlefield earth still bites!
suse

Vicki
Member posted 06-22-2001 10:55 PM
Hi all,
I'm a Scientologist and I love it when people are curious about my religion. A good discussion never hurts.
I have been Clear for about 5 years. I can tell you first-hand that it works.

I'd certainly answer any other questions.

Yammer
Moderator posted 06-23-2001 01:16 PM
Ok, I'll take you up on that.
What is a Thetan?

Are you a Thetan?

How many Thetans are there?

How much does it cost to go from Clear to Thetan?

Would you feel safe leaving the Church?

Do you know anyone who has left the Church? If so, would you still socialize with them?

Now that the Church has lost its libel suit against Time for the "Cult Of Greed" feature in 1991, would you say that your donations were well spent?

DChristine
Member posted 06-23-2001 04:01 PM
sagemama & suseyblue, I'm intrigued by your comments about Battlefield Earth and L. Ron Hubbard since it'a a book I liked. If I started a Battlefield Earth thread over in books would you participate?

Becca
Moderator posted 06-24-2001 08:45 AM
Hi Vicki, welcome to the boards
There is a great deal of interest about your beliefs - I looking forward to reading your posts.
Blessings, Becca

Vicki
Member posted 06-25-2001 01:22 PM
Hi, Here are my answers:
What is a Thetan?
-A thetan (pronounced THAY-tin) is the Scientology term for what would otherwise be called a spirit or soul. L. Ron Hubbard coined the term from the Greek letter theta (adding an n to make it into a noun.) He created the new word to avoid other meanings associated with spirit or soul.

Are you a Thetan?
-Yes.

How many Thetans are there?
-I haven’t counted, but every person is a thetan so I guess you could figure it out from that.

How much does it cost to go from Clear to Thetan?
-Before I answer that, let me remind you that you’re asking about advanced levels, which a beginner would not be concerned with. You can take a beginning course for $60 or check out a book by L. Ron Hubbard from the library for free. To go from Clear to Operating Thetan would probably cost around $50,000. Compare this to other religions where one would tithe and perhaps spend the same amount over the years.

Would you feel safe leaving the Church?
-Certainly. All participation is voluntary.

Do you know anyone who has left the Church? If so, would you still socialize with them?
-Of course. In fact, my in-laws took some courses years ago and haven’t pursued it since. We’re certainly on good terms with them.

Now that the Church has lost its libel suit against Time for the "Cult Of Greed" feature in 1991, would you say that your donations were well spent?
-Yes, my personal gains were not dependent on the outcome of a lawsuit. Besides, I’m sure no one is naïve enough to believe that a verdict always determines the truth. By the way, in 1993, the US government officially recognized Scientology as a religion and granted it full tax-exempt status.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Yammer
Moderator posted 06-25-2001 03:20 PM
Thanks.

daisymae
Member posted 06-26-2001 12:45 PM
There are some great alternative therapies that can clear out engrams and trauma, that wouldn't cost so much. Isn't scientology all about becoming "clear" in this way and being free to live up to your full potential? I guess I still don't understand why it has to be so expensive.

heartmama
Member posted 06-26-2001 01:53 PM
You can see scientology as two separate issue's really, the church and the technology associated with it. Virtually every negative thing about scientology I have heard had to do with the church...the way they operate on the inside.
The technology they are using however can be obtained in what is called the "freezone", which are people trained in auditing that offer their services (audting up through the levels with an e meter) for far less money than the church, and none of the strings attached. They have no association with the church and are usually people who in the past were very involved in the church and were kicked out/or left. The church of SCN. cannot stand that they are teaching this stuff for less money and when they can, they discourage it.

You can find a freezoner through the internet as they are usually caution from being harrassed by the church, so you may have to do a little searching, but it won't take long.

I should add after re reading my post that I am not a scientologist, but have met many many freezoners. All wonderful people.

heartmama

Vicki
Member posted 06-28-2001 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by daisymae:
There are some great alternative therapies that can clear out engrams and trauma, that wouldn't cost so much. Isn't scientology all about becoming "clear" in this way and being free to live up to your full potential? I guess I still don't understand why it has to be so expensive.

Daisymae,

Yes, that is basically what it is about. It may sound like a lot of money, but in our world of government-subsidized programs and insurance-coverage we often forget how much it really costs to run programs and organizations, especially when one-on-one counseling is involved. Also, who do people think the money is going to? L. Ron Hubbard died 15 years ago (and even when he was alive he didn’t receive money from the church.)

There are all sorts of people in Scientology, not just rich celebrities. I know taxi cab drivers, office workers, painters, auto mechanics, construction workers, small business owners, doctors, and lots of stay-at-home-moms. If Scientology is so expensive how can these people afford it? The answer is that most people notice that their income improves as they progress in Scientology because it helps you become more competent in life. Also, you spend this money over the course of many months or even years depending on how fast you want to go. Others dedicate themselves to work in the churches in return for training and auditing.

Also, I noticed you had a prior question about traumatic experiences. It is true that we have a basic recollection of most traumatic experiences. Hubbard just said that they were accompanied by varying degrees of unconsciousness with the extreme being full unconsciousness. Like when you’re sleepy: you’re aware, but not as alert as you would normally be. I doubt anyone would say that they remember an operation when they were fully anesthetized, but they actually do remember it “subconciously” and can recover this in auditing.

As for “alternative practitioners”, we aren’t opposed to these people because of the money issue, it’s because they invariably change the technology, rendering it inferior. It’s also illegal for them to use an e-meter. Yes, we are darned hard-nosed about our practitioners strictly adhering to using the proper procedures because that’s the only way they work. This puts some people off because they can’t understand it. Honestly, you’re risking your well-being by going to an unliscensed practitioner. Don’t have a bunch of money? Check the book Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health out at a library and use it just as described in the book with a partner. They even have a video now. You’d be much better off.

Another book I’d recommend is A New Slant on Life. It goes over some basic ideas in Scientology. It’s one of my favorites.

-Vicki

“Affection could no more spoil a child than the sun could be put out by a bucket of gasoline.”
L. Ron Hubbard

daisymae
Member posted 06-28-2001 12:21 PM
Vicki, thank you for your response. I see your point about income increasing because one becomes more competent. I do not have a problem with Scientology at all, I didn't mean to imply that I do. I'm coming from a place of knowing exactly what trauma can do, the unconscious actions and disassociation affecting every aspect of a person's life, and I wanted to get across that it is possible to dig out the roots of trauma even if you don't have a lot of money, or access to a Scientology Center (right term?). What I've been using is EMDR therapy, and I can't imagine that it is less effective than Scientology. But, I don't mean that Scientology shouldn't be used by anyone else, if that is what works for them. See what I mean?

k'smami
Member posted 06-28-2001 12:38 PM
What is the "Org"?

suseyblue
Member posted 06-28-2001 05:52 PM
heartmama- i had friends who used to be scientologists, who referred to what they called 'squirrel groups'- i.e. kicked out freezoners, i guess- is that the same thing?
suse

Vicki
Member posted 06-28-2001 06:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by k'smami:
What is the "Org"?

k'smami:

The "Org" is just short for organization. Any Scientology church is an organization and we usually call it "org" for convenience. I'm glad you asked.
-vicki

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page