Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Note: This is an archived topic. It is read-only. Mothering Boards
Spirituality Archives
fitting yoga into the day?

This topic was originally posted in this forum: Spirituality
Author Topic: fitting yoga into the day?
Sparrow
Moderator posted 06-22-2001 07:09 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have finally made a committment to myself to learn yoga- I got a pretty decent book and plan to do some classes soon.
My question for those of you moms in the know is how do you fit yoga into your day? My toddler climbs all over me if I am on the floor (he's 17 mo) so I have been waiting until he is asleep at night. His naptime is right after lunch, so that time is no good.

I would like to practice with him, and maybe even teach him some moves, but whenever I am on the floor he divebombs me yelling "nursies! nursies!" so I tend to avoid the conflict and wait until later.

Any ideas?

yogamama
Moderator posted 06-22-2001 09:04 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I either practice yoga early in the morning BEFORE my toddler wakes up (grrr, that means setting an alarm clock and quite rare) or I practice AFTER he has nursed to sleep and before I go to bed.
Sometimes I do yoga while he climbs on me. It's not super satisfying, but it can be fun in its own way. Toddler doing downward dog, toddler climbing on your back and encouraging a deeper forward bend...

If your kid naps after lunch how about sitting with him while HE eats, let him nap while you do yoga and THEN eat your lunch? That might work for you. Otherwise before bed is my best time.

Namaste.
Kathleen

edgyveggie
Member posted 06-22-2001 09:09 AM
Sparrow,
No ideas! My ds is 4 and we usually do our yoga at night when he is asleep, but he loves to do it with us so we are actually trying to work up to that. He got to do yoga at school this last year and loved it. BUT...
When he was younger (around a year old) I tried to do yoga as a relaxation during the day and I would be laying on the floor trying to meditate and I would find a little crotch on my face!! He would actually sit on my head. I finally asked myself how relaxing that could be and laughed it off and QUIT!! Maybe you could do some stretching with him during the day and then really get to it at night.

edgyveggie
Member posted 06-22-2001 09:10 AM
Also, I know they have a video for kid yoga, but I don't know how young the kids are on the tape.

mollysmom02718
unregistered posted 06-22-2001 09:44 AM
I like to do yoga to start the day. It keeps me centered for the rest of the day. This means getting up at 5:00 am, but it's worth it. With 6 kids, if I don't do it first thing I just won't get to it and then I feel like crap!

Jazint66@aol.com
Member posted 06-22-2001 08:03 PM
The YogaKids video has kids from about3-6 or7 in it.My dd loves it!She is 2 years old ,but it is pretty slow & easy for adults.

Sparrow
Moderator posted 06-23-2001 06:58 AM
get up earlier than the boy?? egads!
well, I have been doing an evening routine before bed which has been working out ok, but I followed yogamama's lead and tried to do some poses yesterday with my son - guess what- he loved it! he seemed to sense that something different was going on and paid good attention. Then he tried to imitatte me.

You should have seen his downward facing dog - he kept bending over, but the first few times, he didn't put his hands out, so he would just tip over onto his head. It was soo cute! He's got it down, now tho.

thanks for all of your great replies!

elimarie
Member posted 06-23-2001 08:28 AM
i feel like i heard about a book based on simple yoga WITH baby. Anyone know the name? I've been wanting to find something to motivate me to get started.

megerina
Member posted 07-02-2001 01:47 PM
I am one of those who gets up at 5:30 in the AM to get my excercise in, showers and crawls back into bed for some of the absolutely best sleep I get all night or day. The endorphins, doncha know. I do a modified ballet/yoga/taichi stretching program. There have been days when DS gets up and watches, or insists on being held for a bit. I can usually get him to lay back down with his sister until I am finished.
meg

mamamoon2001
Member posted 07-02-2001 09:07 PM
I do yoga in the morning with the kids. I put my one year old in his highchair with snacks and my almost four year old does it with me. I've told him it is unappropriate and very dangerous to climb on me during this time. My four year old loves it. Every morning he says "is it time for yoga bam yet" that's what he calls it yoga bam...too cute.

Sparrow
Moderator posted 07-03-2001 07:49 AM
thanks for all of the responses!!
For those of you who do yoga with the wee ones, how old were they when you first tried it? When they got into it?

My son is starting to enjoy it at 17 months...

ando2
Member posted 07-03-2001 09:03 AM
we had to give up ....
she hates YOGA! 19 mo dd
I really like doing it when I first wake up and the dang tape is only 10 or 15 minutes, but the climbing on me and crying and turning the tv off...
she really needs my attn, so I give it to her. I can do it on the rare days I wake up before her..
I miss it!
But yes, downward dog by a 19 mo is funny!

e
Member posted 07-03-2001 10:38 PM
hmm
i did yoga when i was pregnant, i fell in love
we've been trying to do it regularly, mostly at night after dd is asleep, but she does pay attention when i do it around her in the day
i used to do yoga when she wanted to bounce, while she was in jumper beside me, she'd try to grab me, but now she just wants me to hold her hands and let her walk around! however: we just got a book called yoga baby, by deansin goodson parker, i haven't spent much time with it yet but perhaps it might have some good ideas . i' m used to working with my instructor-friend (and birth partner lucky me) so i'm a bit lost on the written descriptions
i'll have a closer look and get back to you if i see something good for including the little ones
x
e

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page