Jewish belief in the afterlife? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-01-2002, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any opinions? I have found in the Christian Bible, much talk of Sheol/the pit/abyss. Is that an underworld, where people still have a consciousness? Can they be consulted? b/c the Bible seems to say, don't consult your ancestors, which makes me think, they were, even tho it was forbidden.

Then I saw one mention of a judgement in God's day, in the book of Daniel, where good (and dead)people would be rewarded, the bad ones punished, but the footnote said this was the only mention in the OT of this idea.

Then I read a book, written by a contemporary Jewish scholar, about Jesus and Paul. Interesting and enlightening in so many ways, but his one point was: the Pharisees, scholars of the Law, believed in the afterlife, but the Saducees, and high priests (around 30 CE) did not.

Apologies for the terms OT and NT. I know there are further writings and the oral Torah (and what--Talmud, Kaballah?), which must have more info/philosophy/theology than what is in the "OT."

I will continue to research, but wondered what regular Jewish mamas of today believe.
#2 of 6 Old 12-01-2002, 03:17 PM

Hey Daryl!
Here ya go
http://www.jewfaq.org/olamhaba.htm
LMK if you have further questions.

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#3 of 6 Old 12-01-2002, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, BB. I put that link in my favorites, so I can go thru all the other links there.

So, out of curiosity, what is your belief? and that of your friends and your particular community? Seems like there is an awful amt of "wiggle room," unlike in Christianity!
#4 of 6 Old 12-01-2002, 04:49 PM

Maimonides wrote down 13 principles of faith that are sort of the "non-negotiables" of Orthodox Judaism. In short, they are
1. Belief in a creator who guides all things
2. There is no other god, but G-d and he is eternal
3. That G-d is not physical
4. G-d came before all and will exist after all.
5. That you can only pray to G-d
6. That the prophets are true
7. That Moses was the "ultimate" prophet
8. That the Torah was given to Moses
9. That the Torah cannot be changed or added to
10. That G-d is all knowing
11. That G-d rewards good and punishes evil
12. Belief in the coming of the messiah
13. Resurection of the dead

Implied in these tennets is a belief in an afterlife since we know that sometimes the evil are not punished in this world and the good rewarded, and it is implicit in a belief in the resurection of the dead.

Personally, yes, I believe in an afterlife, with every person judged according to his deeds.

HTH.
#5 of 6 Old 12-02-2002, 06:31 AM

Personally, I feel an immense trust in G-d, that at the end it will be all good, everyone will get their just rewards. I belive that in the next world, as close as you tried to be to G-d in this one, that is how close you will be to him in the next. At the time of the coming of moshiach I belive that everyone will be resurected.

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#6 of 6 Old 12-02-2002, 12:17 PM

Quote:
... by BelovedBird
... I feel an immense trust in G-d, that at the end it will be all good, everyone will get their just rewards. I belive that in the next world, as close as you tried to be to G-d in this one, that is how close you will be to him in the next. At the time of the coming of moshiach I believe that everyone will be resurected.

- Amy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page