Pagan Families...whats atop your tree? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 12-08-2002, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The tree is one of my favorite symbols of the Yuletide and Solstice. We love to decorate our tree and have had a special topper for years.......a Fairy!

We also do a Yule log from the previous years tree, decorate that and burn it on Solstice night with a group for Yule ritual.

So, earth -lovin families, if you have a tree, whats on top?
#2 of 28 Old 12-08-2002, 04:21 PM

Don't know how Pagan this is but we've got an Eeyore angel atop our tree...
The story goes, we went to Disneyland after DH's second funeral and this angel called to us. It's just a stuffed animal, but we can bend the branches on the tree to make a seat for him to sit. So I guess you could say I have my dead husband up there :LOL

~diana ild

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#3 of 28 Old 12-08-2002, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by hahamommy
The story goes, we went to Disneyland after DH's second funeral and this angel called to us. It's just a stuffed animal, but we can bend the branches on the tree to make a seat for him to sit. So I guess you could say I have my dead husband up there :LOL

~diana ild

Love it. Pagan? Who knows, but symbolic, heck ya! Enjoy the holidays, and I am sorry for your family's loss.

xo
#4 of 28 Old 12-08-2002, 06:58 PM

We have two trees. I have a 3' white tree in the dining room that is decorated with faerie ornaments and a faerie tree topper.

The living room tree has a plush Boyd's angel bear atop it.
#5 of 28 Old 12-08-2002, 07:14 PM

Ours doesn't have ornaments yet, just lights, but dh hung a big lit up star right above the top, and I think it looks like a great solstice sun
#6 of 28 Old 12-08-2002, 07:59 PM

Our tree topper is a wooden star that my husband carved. I think it's beautiful!
#7 of 28 Old 12-08-2002, 09:09 PM
Banned

We have a copper star with cut outs of stars and moons. I like it cause I can stuff a light up there and it shines through the cutouts.

It's gotten a bit dingy and I am debating whether or not to paint it something funky or try to polish it up. I'm leaning towards funk.
#8 of 28 Old 12-08-2002, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Moon

It's gotten a bit dingy and I am debating whether or not to paint it something funky or try to polish it up. I'm leaning towards funk.
oooh, how about a pale irridescent paint with small crystals adorning it? I'm sorry, did you ask my opinion???

xo
#9 of 28 Old 12-08-2002, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We have a forest fairy made of dried leaves. We keep the lights away from her!

She's getting a bit beat up now after all these years, so we're keeping our eyes open for her replacement. If it takes a couple of more years to find just the right Lady, then we'll wait.

"What will you do once you know?"
#10 of 28 Old 12-09-2002, 10:19 AM

we are not pagans, but we have a wooden crescent moon on top of our tree--it's covered with gold paint, and has a face...I think we bought it at some import store. Maybe it's Indonesian?

Anyway, it's meant to be a tree topper, and tho' DD is starting to want an angel or a star up there, the moon somehow speaks to me. DD's name means that she is a follower of Artemis, and she has always had a strong connection with the moon...so it's staying.
#11 of 28 Old 12-09-2002, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by darlindeliasmom
we are not pagans,
:
are ya sure?

#12 of 28 Old 12-09-2002, 11:54 AM
Banned

Yesterday I was with my mother in a store and I saw a Santa tree topper. He appears to be flying, like a little fat Superman, and on little tiny invisible wires, he's juggling jingle bells. His curly stand thing is lighter than normal, so he shakes back and forth, and the bells jingle.

It's the kind of thing I would normally roll my eyes at, and we don't even DO Santa CLaus, but man, that thing made me laugh. I got warm fuzzies. How silly is that?

I didn't buy it cause $20 bucks goes a long way at the grocery store and towards water colour paper, but man oh man......I want him.
#13 of 28 Old 12-09-2002, 02:22 PM

Well, yrs ago, my kids had me get a Barbie style angel, big puffy skirt, holding 2 "candles." Now it is a tradition, so it stays. I'm not particularly into angels anymore, so if it was up to me I would choose something different. But it's not up to me.

Before kids, I used to use the Jet Age star that used to go atop my childhood trees. It is chrome colored, with a round area at the bottom, which is indented in the the middle, which area is magenta. It than has a big pointy spike on top. You could imagine it on the Jetson's tree. It reminds me of the Shiny Brite balls I also got from my mom and grandmoms.

Saw part of an interesting show on TV last night about "xmas" trees. I missed the beginning, which I assume had stuff about pagan ideas, too bad... But anyway, the beautiful German ornaments people had in the 19th and early 20th century, blown glass in all kinds of shapes, were no longer imported during and after WWII. So the Corning Glass Co, in NY, which was the US's biggest manufacturer of lightbulbs, refitted some of their machines to make ornaments. These were the Shiny Brite balls. They were all round, but some had the indentation, and some were painted in patterns, usually striped. Woolworths started selling them, and they were the biggest selling item Woolworth ever sold!

In 1985, Christopher Radko's family tree, loaded with ornaments brought into the US by family members from Germany and Poland, fell over and all the balls were crushed. These kind of ornaments were no longer being made in Germany. He went over and encouraged some craftsmen to begin making them again, and now, of course, they are all the rage, once again!
#14 of 28 Old 12-09-2002, 03:01 PM

I've been looking for a fairy to top the tree...where do you find them?

Thanks!
#15 of 28 Old 12-09-2002, 03:03 PM

as one who reads a lot about paganism but doesn't do much about it, I'd like to say that I have a stuffed snoopy on my tree top. I used to have one that just had a santa hat on, and my dog ate it last year and I was pg and went into hysterics, so I now have a new snoopy dressed as santa and he is tied to the top with ribbon. Dh thinks it is rediculous, but I will have to tell him that at least 2 others on this list have a stuffed animal on top of their tree!!! I love 'Noop!
#16 of 28 Old 12-09-2002, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by dfoy
I've been looking for a fairy to top the tree...where do you find them?

Thanks!
My fairy is actually TinkerBell! We got her years ago, she is actually a very large ornament. We just recently found an actual Tinkerbell tree topper at the Disney Store. I like her because she is not plastic, no lights just sparkly.

But I have seen other Fairy toppers at craft and medival faires.
#17 of 28 Old 12-09-2002, 04:00 PM

Hey, that's what my mom says!

We actually go to a Roman catholic church every Sunday, but then, really, Catholics have the goddess worship thing all figured out with Mary. It's amazing where some of the feminist theologian types can take you with her.

And we sing a song that goes...

this is Wisdom, she's calling your name
this is wisdom, dah da da da dum (sorry, I just can't get it!)
God is Wisdom, serving all creatures
With merciful tenderness and love...

But then we're a pretty radical Cath. church!

Now DD--she MAY be a pagan!
#18 of 28 Old 12-09-2002, 05:20 PM

a star, and sometimes this blown glass bulby pointed thing. I alternate years with the suns/stars/moons theme, animals/vegetables, and star and rocketships themes.

I got my first an only nativity set from a fair trade catalog called eziba. It's a bunch of great figures made of natural felt. In a felt yurt. Felt Yurt. Felt Yurt. We just love to say it. Toddler friendly and not necessary very nativity-esqe. Did I mention the Yurt?

It's pricy it was a gift, but there's 3 left http://www.eziba.com/StoreFront/sear...archTerms=yurt

until this one I swore I'd never own one.
#19 of 28 Old 12-09-2002, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hahamommy
The story goes, we went to Disneyland after DH's second funeral and this angel called to us. It's just a stuffed animal, but we can bend the branches on the tree to make a seat for him to sit.

~diana ild
Can you believe that this pagan family also has an eeyore angel perched atop the yule tree?? :LOL

For lack of something better, he's been there a few years now. I thought a nice 5 point star would be a good topper, but I'm really digging the faery idea. Thanks!
#20 of 28 Old 12-15-2002, 03:50 AM

Last year, my mother drug our whole family to Bass Pro Outdoor World so that (get this) her dogs could go see the fish. There's nothing like packing up your infant for a doggie field trip- but thats a whole 'nother rant.

Anyway- while I was wandering around bored, I found this star that is made out of rusted metal, with scalloped edges. The whole center is filled in with pinecone leaves/peices/whatever to make it kinda 3-D and then it was sponged gold and copper, so its kinda rusticy, natural, and shiny-pretty all at the same time.

We got some fake-apple ornaments and some old fashioned Santa balls (thats sounds dirty!) and some gigantic red chenille rick-rack at the fabric store, and our tree looks kick-you know what!!

Anyway, thats whats on top of our tree- I love it!!
#21 of 28 Old 12-15-2002, 10:35 PM

hip momma: your mom sounds, um, interesting!! must have been a fun day for you all... :

but I love the description of your tree topper. beautiful.
#22 of 28 Old 12-15-2002, 11:29 PM

Dar-

thank you Interesting is one of the kinder words that can be used to describe my mom....her heart is in the right place, but her brain is in the ozone, LOL.
#23 of 28 Old 12-16-2002, 12:46 AM

a star and an angel-
#24 of 28 Old 12-16-2002, 01:20 AM

Jeez, Hipmomma- your post made me laugh so loud the kids came running in to see what was the matter! I think your mom and my mom ought to get together.

We have a paper mache star that ds1 and dh made together last year, attached to a paper mache'd toilet paper tube and painted bright yellow with a cartoon happy face on one side and a cartoon scary face on the other. (not sure I want to know the story behind that...)

Tonight at my women's group we made wool roving angels- mine is orange, I'm calling her a fairy and the star is going ot have to share top billing now.
#25 of 28 Old 12-16-2002, 11:25 AM

Luna-

I'm glad my life amuses you <heehee> I've actually had years where my mom has not gotten me anything for Christmas- because she spent too much on the dogs. LOL..

I think she cracked when I moved out

Your kids star sounds adorable...my theory is that one side is naughty and the other is nice (Do they believe in Santa?)
#26 of 28 Old 12-16-2002, 02:56 PM

HipMomma- I like that theory- I have the nice side facing forward.

I am not sure if my kids believe in santa- we downplay that aspect of the yule as much as possible. I think my older son is aware of him, but I've never made out like it's santa that brings all the gifts- I think he realizes he's a pretend character. (he's all about categorizing "pretend" and "real" these days- is that a 5 yo thing?: ) I guess I'll have to ask!
#27 of 28 Old 12-16-2002, 05:41 PM

Luna-

We just look at Santa as 1) The Holly King and 2) the personification of our feelings of affection for each other. Okay- that ones a mouthful for little ones, but basically we tell our kids that Santa isn't a real person so much as he is a picture of all the love that people have for one another this time of year.

If you really want to have fun- invite over some Fundie's over to talk and switch your star around to the naughty side first. <heehee>
#28 of 28 Old 12-16-2002, 06:07 PM

What a beautiful bunch of trees! KeysMama, maybe you'll appreciate this. Our tree is topped with a starfish. All of our ornaments are made from seashells we've found throughout the Caribbean.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page