The pagan misfit (yes I am refering to myself :-) ) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 12-12-2002, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Meiri

I have to remind myself that pre-Christian cultures were not all love and light peace oriented. Some had quite well developed warrior traditions, which have continued. Those perspectives do have value I've found.
Exactly what I think too. So much of the neo-pagan assumption is actually , IMO, New Age Spirituality rather than actually pagan.

I tend to be more of a Pagan traditionalist rather than New Age. Often the 2 get blended into a very confusing cauldron
#32 of 42 Old 12-12-2002, 12:26 PM

It seems I'm so blissfully unaware of all these different factions--ay yi yi. The spiritual community in NYC that I belonged to I suppose would be thought of as New Age by many pagans--and I was surprised to learn some pagans look upon that negatively. One thing that I loved about my community there was that it was extremely tolerant and didn't invest much energy in finding differences. Sort of "be who you are and you'll attract like." I don't really need to call myself pagan, it's more for the sake of conversation.
#33 of 42 Old 12-12-2002, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ladylee
New Age by many pagans--and I was surprised to learn some pagans look upon that negatively.
gosh, I hope I didn't sound negative. I think that there is so much freedom for diversity and religious expression in our country that even the obscure paths have even more obsure branches!! kwim?

I gravitate towards all 'enlightened' paths and thinkers and groups, but I do seem to find I am not as comfortable in a "new age' group. Maybe its the Angel Light Therapy people, or the Rebirth Your Spirit through Harmony people, I don't know, it just does not feel real to me. Again, just my comfort zone and what I enjoy with regards to celebrating life and spirit.

I know for ages the Xian groups have been divided ( my JW friends are very anti-popXian) and the popXian's are very anti-fundie.

Same with some Judeo groups, and Hindu groups.

I guess it only stands to reason there will be divides in the Pagan sect. I would like to think though , that us Pagans are more tolerant of our inner-differences
#34 of 42 Old 12-12-2002, 12:51 PM

Oh no, KM--you didn't come across that way at all. But what you said did remind me of those things I've encountered recently, and what I said was in response to those pagan "purists' (whatever that is!) that would deem me not pagan :LOL. And about the "dark" and "light" energy--although much of what I do is about enhancing the light (I'm a Reiki practitioner,) the Taoist in me needs to keep it real and accept the presence/necessity of both as a celebration of life. I don't think I'd be particularly comfortable in those groups you mentioned either. And I agree-strength in numbers, and to become divisive within ourselves is counterproductive .
#35 of 42 Old 12-12-2002, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

I would like to think though , that us Pagans are more tolerant of our inner-differences

I'd like to think that too. But I've been proven wrong.

I've heard that whole"we forget that ancient pagans weren't all love and light" Yep they weren't. But that has absolutely no bearing on my modern day paganism.I don't live in ancient times, I live now. Some modern people aren't all "love and light either" the hippy flower child that I am, I have no interest in "warriors". The precise reason why I don't get along with most pagan conservatives. I must have been absent the day they passed out the rule book that says we must be carbon copies of ancient pagans.

Fundies come in all religions even paganism.

I think my real difference is that I do not have an ancestor worshipping belief system. I don't believe that my soul is always reincarnated into the same family group. As such I don't feel that "own" my pantheon. I don't feel the need to require everyone to worship as I do or they are cultural thieves or blasphemers.

It seems the one upmanship of Xtanityhas come to paganism, or maybe it has been there all along and I just didn't notice it at first.
#36 of 42 Old 12-12-2002, 01:58 PM

I've heard that whole"we forget that ancient pagans weren't all love and light" Yep they weren't. But that has absolutely no bearingon my modern day paganism.I don't live in ancient times, I live now. Some modern people aren't all "love and light either" the hippy flower child that I am, I have no interest in "warriors". The precise reason why I don't get along with most paganconservatives. I must have been absent the day they passed out the rule book that says we must be carbon copies of ancient pagans.

Adruinna,

I really liked what you said here. I think that is the most important thing that people forget from any spritual practice is that spirtuality needs to evolve and change because people and culture changes. That does not mean that we throw everything out and start anew nor does it mean that we don't keep traditions from the past. I believe that spirtuality should have meaning now not a rule book to follow.
#37 of 42 Old 12-12-2002, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arduinna
It seems the one upmanship of Xtanityhas come to paganism, or maybe it has been there all along and I just didn't notice it at first.
Xtanityhas? Is that another way to spell it? I think I am offended.
LOL!

Sorry. Too giddy. ild

Anyhoo, I have been reading a lot about this fundie-liberal idea lately. Or as the Jesus Mysteries calls it, literalism-gnosticism.

The closer you get to enlightenment/gnosis, which I take as a direct experience of the deity, the more you will have in common with people of other religions (Jews, Buddhists, Xians, whathaveyou), who are also non-dogmatic (eg: the Kabbalists, the Zen, the UU). A mystic is a mystic. Now, literalists depend upon and are attached to, their dogma: the proper way to do a ritual, the proper way to imagine what god looks like, how to pray, holy days, books/prophecies, clothing to wear, how many times to cross yourself or bow, what kind of athame, color of candle, whatever.

Taking the Bible literally is the most obvious example of this in mainstream culture (never mind that half the NT is forged, and the rest meant as allegory, ahem).

Now, when Paul said, don't concern yourself with endless histories and geneologies (sorry to quote a Xian in a pagan thread, but he was gnostic), he meant, go beyond the Outer Mysteries of the psychic xian, to the Inner Mysteries of the pneumatic, or fully initiated-- to the secret message, which was: Christ in you. When you get to the point where you can experience god directly, (gnosis, enlightenment), you can throw out all your books and paraphenalia, can't you?

So, if people are too attached to all the "stuff," they may be missing out on the whole point. Then they spend a whole lot of time on "holy" wars, and really miss the point. :
#38 of 42 Old 12-12-2002, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaryLLL

The closer you get to enlightenment/gnosis, which I take as a direct experience of the deity, the more you will have in common with people of other

Beauty in words!

xo
Mirine
#39 of 42 Old 12-12-2002, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent point Darylll. That is the precise reason why I am the misfit I am. I am only following direction regarding my specific way of worship. Prior to getting this direction, I practiced in a very different way.

Greenfrogs, thank you. After I posted I thought it just sounded like a tirade. Which it probably was to some extent. I will get back to you regarding the book club ideas. I am super busy preparing for the new puppy, in fact I must leave any minute to go get him.

Darylll, glad we have been talking about UU, dh has decided he needs a more structured practice so I suggested we check out the UU. He now wants to go this weekend. While I don't need or particularly want four walls and pew as part of my practice I will go with him. Maybe it will be a good addition to what I already do? Or at least a way for us to meet like minded souls IRL.

Thanks for the great discussion you guys, I'm off
#40 of 42 Old 12-12-2002, 04:32 PM

The beauty part of paganism, is that you can always start your own Trad that is exactly what you are looking for <heehee>

Seriously, I practice Othalla Wicca, which is a BTW and Eclectic blend, and it works well for me. My point is, that there is a group for every soul- have you checked out www.witchvox.com?
#41 of 42 Old 12-12-2002, 04:34 PM

Adruinna, good luck with the puppy.
#42 of 42 Old 12-12-2002, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Hipmomma. I've been to witchvox before. It's not that I miss having a group to practice with. I'm not wiccan and starting my own trad isn't something I want to do. I'm having a hard time explaining how I feel. I'll be back later.

Thanks Greenfrogs :-) just got back and He is SOOOOO cute!!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page