Do you care what religion (or not) your children will choose? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 12-16-2002, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Of course I care...and of course I hope that my example will inspire my child(ren) to choose the same path.

Religiously speaking, I see it as my duty to raise [them] to become devout Muslims.

Pragmatically speaking, as a convert myself, I see the need of the individual to find a version of Truth he/she best understands...and I also see the pain a parent can feel when a child turns toward a different path.

I have a long road ahead as a parent and as a child, and I am sure I will develop more coherent thoughts, and more graceful wisdom, on this subject.
#32 of 46 Old 12-16-2002, 09:29 PM

this is probably an off-topic post to mystichealermom, but i don't know the protocol on the boards for uninvited pms, so i am posting to the thread and hoping that doesn't bother anyone too much...

lori, i also would love to have someone to talk to on the buddhist path, and i was excited to read your post. my dh listens well and can talk to me about some of the issues that come up in my practice or in my dharma readings, but he doesn't sit himself and i think an intellectual understanding of buddhism takes you only so far. eventually, you have to start experiencing/realizing the various truths that dharma teachers talk about or you kind of plateau in your understanding. at least that's how i interpret my husband's ability to go just so far with all this.
i do have a meditation group, but oddly enough, few of the women in it sit outside of our weekly meeting, so there's only so much i can bring up there before they start to look at me weirdly (not really, they're very nice, but they just don't have much input for me.)
feel free to pm me if you want to talk more. or perhaps we could start a buddhist thread...
susan
#33 of 46 Old 12-16-2002, 10:39 PM

Hi Susan,

I think an initial, "hi there, wanna chat intro" pm is okey dokey, and I do it all the time. So far, no complaints. I welcome pm's

I'll pm about discussing Buddhism. I found another mamma on the threads from mentioning an interest in Buddhism, perhaps we can start a circle .

Cheers!!

Lori
#34 of 46 Old 12-17-2002, 05:10 PM

We are raising our daughter catholic. And sadly because the public schools around here are not great and private is too expensive she will go to parochial(sp?) school. However, she is welcome to experiment and choose what feels good to her. We don't go to mass every Sunday. So hopefully in four years time private or home schooling will be an option.
#35 of 46 Old 01-19-2003, 06:28 PM

I care very much what my children choose. I am Christian and the Bible says in many places that it is a parent's responsibility to teach their children about God, Jesus, salvation, the right way to live and follow God, etc.

Being Christian, I also believe that there is only one way to God. That is Jesus Christ, who died for our sins. Therefore, if my kids don't follow Christ, they aren't serving God.

I don't care what church they end up at, as long as it's Christian and they are growing in their walk with the Lord.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#36 of 46 Old 01-21-2003, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I really want to pass on my precious cultural heritage, which has a strong religious component, and...I would feel deep grief if my child decided to join another religious tradition.

But I don't know what my child's Judaism will look like, and I don't want to place any heavy expectations on it.

Once I was in the supermarket in my not-majority-Jewish neighborhood and I was behind a mom with her 3 or 4 year old. She was buying him a kind of cheesy looking plastic top, just because they saw it and she thought he might like it. (in matters of taste...) Suddenly, he began to sing at the top of his lungs in Hebrew: "sivivon, sov sov sov, Hanukah hu hag tov!" which is a Hanukah song about the dreidel, or traditional top. It was May or June! He was all smiles! It was so great!

That's what would make me happy, if this baby I'm having were fully delighted with the unique religion and culture we have to pass to her or him. It's not that I want my kid to do religion how I do it, I just want her to love it how I love it.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#37 of 46 Old 01-23-2003, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It matters to me more than anything else. I would feel as though I have failed if they turn from Christ. I consider it my up most responsibility as a parent to raise them in such a way that they would grow up loving the Lord Jesus Christ and following his teachings. How they choose to worship Him and serve Him is up to them as long as the worship Him and serve Him.

So just to clarify i don't care what denomination or not they are so long as they are Christians (and not just talkin' the talk Christians but walkin' the walk Christians)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#38 of 46 Old 01-24-2003, 05:42 AM

I also care very much! I want my daughter to follow Christ, and I do care what denomination she follows under...sorry, I do.

That said, I will still love her nomatter what, I will continue to support her individuality...she has the right to make those decisions on her own.

While she lives in my house, I will request that she attends church with us (her family), but if she has decided to worship elswhere that is her choice.

although, she is small now...she doesn't have a choice as to where to go...she goes where mommy goes Until she can voice an opinion I will take it that she is a-ok with going to church with us
#39 of 46 Old 01-24-2003, 11:35 AM

I care very much about my daughters' religious choices. It would kill me inside if they were to join any religion that doesn't treat them with total equality as women. (And by this, I mean any religion where there are offices that women are ineligible to hold.) I hope that they avoid fundamentalism of any flavor.

Having said all this, I recognize that this is one decision that I do not get to make. I had a particular religion shoved down my throat until I moved out of my parents house and I'm still resentful 20+ years later!
#40 of 46 Old 01-24-2003, 11:37 AM

All of what we are saying is wonderful--but I have to add that I agree with Yammer on the groupthink issue. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the belonging, and to sit back and be told how to behave, and not examine there wherefores and whys...I think, and in great measure I hope that right here is where we modern faithful have a chance to change all that. I want my boy to grow up with faith and belief that he is a part of divine Creation, and I want that belief to inspire him to be his best. I also want it to spur him to think of all the rest of Creation as from God too--and I want that whisper to be at the back of his mind at all times. I want it to fill him with constant wonder, and I want him to feel free in his thoughts and in the world.
I obviously see great merit in the path I have chosen--but I want him to choose the path for its merit, and not out of fear of me, or his father, or society. He should choose because his thinking brain takes him there. Does that make sense?:
#41 of 46 Old 01-27-2003, 11:54 AM

Quote:
How do others feel about their children's exposure to different belief systems?
I want my children to be exposed to all kinds of belief systems, while they are young, so that they know what is out there and how it fits into the world view and belief system we hold as a family. I have seen too many sheltered children grow up only to be swayed by the first new idea to come their way, simply because they had never thought about it before. Intelligent, thinking children, that are raised with a loving belief system that makes sense to them, are not so easily inticed by cult logic.

And I hold to Yammer's definition of a cult!

peace,
b
#42 of 46 Old 01-27-2003, 11:57 AM

Yes UmmNuh, that makes perfect sense!!
#43 of 46 Old 01-27-2003, 12:15 PM

I agree with Barbara,
I was raised in a christian home and went to a catholic school. I still practice the belief that I grew up with but am able to look at other religions and beliefs and find value in all of them and realize that some are more advanced in some areas of thinking then my own and so I work at incorporating that into my own beliefs.

I think it was great of my parents to know that we were able to think enough for ourselves to decide what we felt was right for us spiritually, even at that young age. And allow us to experience a completely different way of practicing on a daily basis. I am greatful for their openess.

Envision
#44 of 46 Old 02-04-2003, 04:29 AM

To me, religion has to do with community and culture, whereas spirituality has to do with a personal relationship to the world-- to nature, or the divine, or evolution, or whatever it is that rings true to a person. Spirituality is deeply, deeply personal, and I would never presume to impose my personal truth on my children.

If I had a religion, I would encourage my children to participate, for the sake of being a part of a community. But what anyone carries in their heart is nobody's business.
#45 of 46 Old 02-04-2003, 05:51 AM

Those are good thoughts, Ubertulip. very thought provoking. thanks for sharing.

Lori
#46 of 46 Old 02-04-2003, 11:59 AM

Ubertulip, that is a beautiful discription of the difference between religion and spirituality. Thank you,

Namaste,
-b

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page