Pagans and the UU church - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Pagans, Have you attended the UU church?? check all that apply
I've never attended, and have no desire too 4 40.00%
I've never attended, but want to 7 70.00%
I've never attended but plan to 3 30.00%
I went, not for me 1 10.00%
I go because my spouse/children like it only 2 20.00%
I used to attend but we moved and none nearby 1 10.00%
I attend now regularly 5 50.00%
I attend now sometimes 7 70.00%
We have a CUUPS chapter 7 70.00%
We don't have a CUUPS chapter 12 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 12-13-2002, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering how many of the pagans (ok anyone who isn't part of the big three) here have gone to the Unitarian Universalist
church??
#2 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arduinna
I'm wondering how many of the pagans (ok anyone who isn't part of the big three) here have gone to the Unitarian Universalist
church??
:LOL

I have gone a few times. I liked it, but I can't get w/going there on a regular basis. I'm really happy that I've found a place that I could go and not have my sensibilities assaulted if I did. I think one of the problems is that there aren't enough young folks like me there. And, no CUUPS. I soooo want to attend a CUUPS meeting.
#3 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 12:46 AM

I love our UU Church (can you tell from my sig line????)

the only thing that bugs me is the the pastor is younger than me :LOL

Everyone there is very socially aware and there are a few gay couples with children that attend, it's very inclusionary (is that a word?) I love the sermons, there is usually a pagan slant to it, there are a few humanists that attend as well. I always feel good about life when I leave. Ds1 really likes the Sunday school, and ds2 will start in January.

We just got Circle Round and the boys are loving it.
#4 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 12:59 AM

What is CUUPS?:
#5 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When I've got wheels I plan to go across town to our nearest one to check it out, If I can get myself up that early.

"What will you do once you know?"
#6 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Sunmountain http://www.cuups.org/
covenant of unitarian universalist pagans.
#7 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 08:55 AM

Arduinna, Iwas responding to your thread and pressed new thread by mistake, still sleepy I guess. sorry for the confusion.We attend our u.u. church and really like it. Sunmountain, I just got Circle Round and I love it.
#8 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 11:24 AM

Not a pagan - but in our UU church I've noticed a lot of humanists and a few pagans. We're not that big. But our church celebrates the winter and summer solstice and has a couple services during the year dedicated to pagan rituals.
#9 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

No problem Libras mom :-)

thanks Rene for posting what you've found at your UU :-)
#10 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 01:20 PM

T~love the new graphics

We don't have one where I live...so I don't know...
#11 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 01:25 PM

Well, arduinna, you know I've been to a few. I think I've been to 4 services, stayed for the "after parties," and even went to a mtg for prospective new members. We aren't ready to join yet, if ever. (They suggest members give $1200/yr. That is just for operating expenses, no charitable outreach. They are paying off a new addition, which was much needed on the 18th century blg. I found out it cost $1,000,000. It has an elevator, which was the main expense. The sanctuary is upstairs and they rightly wanted to be handicapped accessible. They raised about 3/4 of the $ before they started to build.)

I like the going out to church thing as a little bonding exp (a free date!) with the dh. The kids are all still in bed when we go, they are night owls. When dd was going, she forced herself to get up early, and then would have to take a nap later. (just for anyone who doesn't know me, kids are 11, 14 and 17 next wk.)

the youth group is great. I kind of wish my kids were young enough for the RE too. It's just for K-6th grade. it seems like the comparative religions ed that Britishmum was talking about in the Happy Holidays thread.
#12 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Love that "date" thing

I figure we will take dd the first time. She is 13 so too old for the RE but that is fine by me. I'll let you guys know how our first experience goes. I'm willing to go with an open mind. Wishing we had CUUPS though.
#13 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 01:44 PM

a-

Do you have more than one UU in your area? We have one in every town, as I said, we are where it all began. But, sadly, when I was researching, I found there were only 2 CUUPS in the whole state of MA, one in Salem (natch) and one in Cambridge, if I remember correctly.

Of course, one could probably start one. One of the pagans I met tho, i don't know if I'd want to meet with her on a regular basis. She was in her 60's, seemed to be blind in one eye, which seemed oracular, had on a long robe of some kind of tapestry material, several witchy type pendants and a large quartz crystal bracelet, pretty rings. But she started talking to us, and would not shut up. I just can't stand people who don't know a conversation is supposed to be 2 sided!

Then again, I met one real sweet young woman, and I liked her so much, I invited her to our Yule celebration, a she seems to be alone, no partner, no friends who practice. She went to Cambridge for Yule last year, but found that celebration to be too large and overly theatrical. Ours will be tiny.
#14 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Our city is quite isolated because of terrain. So we only have one UU and no other within about 5 hours. But when I checked out some info on CUUPS I noticed a message group and they were talking about starting a chapter here. But the info was posted 6 months ago. I'll see what happens tomarrow.
#15 of 28 Old 12-14-2002, 04:23 PM

Our RE follows them through high school! I can't believe no one has picked up the ball on this one in your churches. It's so important for teens to be involved in something like this! Our church isn't large, but they are always doing stuff with the kids.
They also took out a mortgage for the addition they did recently, and don't push about the money thing. They do LOTS of fundraising, though, so that helps. It's also the cream of the crop as far as members of the community...not the mayor or anything, but lots of teachers and people from the Peace and Justice Center, etc...
#16 of 28 Old 12-17-2002, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

well, we do have a CUUPS chapter, I met one of the members on sunday. They are currently only meeting for the sabbats. And I missed the Yule one.

Talked to the RE director, but one trip isn't enough to make a decison on that. I will be talking with my pagan community regarding RE for DD.
#17 of 28 Old 12-17-2002, 01:18 PM

arduinna,

thanks for the link to the cuups website. I am going to check out my local chapter. I'll let you know what I think.

Happy searching
#18 of 28 Old 12-17-2002, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

oh cool, do let us know what you think :-)
#19 of 28 Old 12-17-2002, 02:55 PM

I'd like to go and "try" it but the nearest UU church is 3 hours away

OT Arduinna, I didn't know you were a Reiki Master ! My husband, ds (10yr) and I are going for the first course on Jan 11th ! I'm
really excited about it
#20 of 28 Old 12-17-2002, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Goosefeather, that is awesome!! I trained my dd and dh. That is so great that you are doing it as a family.

Let us know how it goes.
#21 of 28 Old 12-17-2002, 06:08 PM

Thanks Arduinna I'll let you know how it goes for sure ! I can't wait to talk about it.

The funny thing is I don't know a whole lot about it but it seems life is pulling me that way. I didn't think of including my ds until I visited http://www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com/
and I saw the book Reiki for Kids. I thought "What a great idea !"

So, i'm still OT so I'll leave it at that

#22 of 28 Old 12-17-2002, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

I think Ladylee started a thread for Reiki in health and healing.
#23 of 28 Old 12-17-2002, 06:38 PM

I once went to a UU service in South Beach Miami--it was a blast! Those people knew how to have fun.
#24 of 28 Old 12-17-2002, 06:38 PM

I hap-hazardly attend our uu fellowship. Mostly miss due to Sunday morning laziness or other outings. It's good, I enjoy it. We have a strong RE program but my daughter is too young yet and my son chooses a different path and church. There is not a CUUPS connected to the fellowship I go too. But there is one 20 minutes away and they celebrate all the sabbats.
#25 of 28 Old 01-15-2003, 12:22 PM

I didn't vote because I'm not pagan, but I am UU, and our church doesn't have a CUUPS chapter (and we don't want one). There is another UU church in town that is almost 100% pagan.

I wish this issue didn't split the church apart so much.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#26 of 28 Old 01-15-2003, 01:20 PM

Why don't you want a CUUPS? My UU members seem to be so tolerant, even celebratory, of all world belief systems. We don't have CUUPS, but we have pagans, Christians, and special celebrations that are Quaker, Native American and Hindu flavored as well. I am fairly new to it, I haven't met any Jews yet, tho, if there are any.

I'm sorry it has split your community.
#27 of 28 Old 01-15-2003, 01:33 PM

There used to be just one UU church in town. It had been around for a long time, many changes and a lot of hard work on the part of all of its members. Gradually, though, it became more and more pagan, and the pagans began to grow hostile towards the non-pagans, and finally the non-pagans gave up, left, and started a new church.

I joined the new church after the big split.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#28 of 28 Old 01-15-2003, 02:38 PM

Greetings universal mammas. We live very rural s. illinois with no UU in sight. so sad. it is difficult for us as spirituality is so very important to us and it is hard keeping it at the center of my life as a lone wolf...i long for a community of spiritually minded people.

we have a quaker church 1.5 hours away which is very nice we both love, baby does too the silence is priceless...but it is so hard to get there on a regular basis. priorities. suck it up and go...i still wish i could teleport.

we are also very interested in anthroposophy and waldorf ed. can anyone tell me the pros/cons of waldork school vs home school waldorf style???..again it will be a two hour drive to said institution if we go that route which is possible but a bit inconvenient...maybe the whole point is that its not going to be easy. maybe there is something about just accepting the challange and moving forward even though its not within walking distance.

feeling isolated...knowing i am not
bek

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page