October Pagan Mamas Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2005, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
13moons -- Hope your grandmother is now safe and happy at your mom's house. Whenever I hear of elders getting mistreated, taken advantage of, or pushed around, I think of that quote which escapes me at the moment but which gets at the fact that the way we treat our most helpless is the way we can judge ourselves as a society. And then I want to pack my bags and head into the woods, never to return!!!

Do let us know how the Celtic Festival was. Pictures of men in kilts especially welcome.

Re: books in the house, I just learned in a reading class that I am taking (my last class to get my M.Ed. in English Education -- woohoo!!) that the availability of books in the home and the attitude of family members toward reading are two of the most important indicators of whether or not a child will become a confident, successful, independent reader. If only we could all have a "whole series of rooms that led into each other and were lined with books" like the professor's house in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

[p.s. Salvia, I, personally, find the Narnia books to be nationalistic, imperialistic, afeminist glorifications of war that insidiously foist Christian stories and morals onto young readers. But I do think they have great models of reading and using one's imagination. Just one gal's opinion...]

Happy happy happy October! Here's my favorite October-themed poem, because this month always makes me feel literary :

October’s Bright Blue Weather
by Helen Hunt Jackson

O suns and skies and clouds of June,
And flowers of June together,
Ye cannot rival for one hour
October’s bright blue weather;

When loud the bumblebee makes haste,
Belated, thriftless vagrant,
And goldenrod is dying fast,
And lanes with grapes are fragrant;

When gentians roll their fingers tight
To save them for the morning,
And chestnuts fall from satin burrs
Without a sound of warning;

When on the ground red apples lie
In piles like jewels shining,
And redder still on old stone walls
Are leaves of woodbine twining;

When all the lovely wayside things
Their white-winged seeds are sowing,
And in the fields still green and fair,
Late aftermaths are growing;

When springs run low, and on the brooks,
In idle golden freighting,
Bright leaves sink noiseless in the hush
Of woods, for winter waiting;

When comrades seek sweet country haunts,
By twos and twos together,
And count like misers, hour by hour,
October’s bright blue weather.

O sun and skies and flowers of June,
Count all your boasts together,
Love loveth best of all the year
October’s bright blue weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2005, 09:01 PM

Okay, I'm sorely in need of catching up, so forgive me...

I never quite got around to saying hi and to *green*faery* and trinitty :

CarrieMF- any updates on the costuming?

*green*faery*- How did the candlemaking turn out? Besides lavender, I might have added something like chamomile for calming or bergamot because I like the smell.

mamaof3- your Mabon ceremony sounded like it rocked!

emamama- I'm glad to hear the move went well and I'm sorry to hear that your dh has to be leaving so soon! I'll be sending extra energy your way ( ) and keeping my fingers crossed ( )that someone will come your way to help out. What gives with the no participation in that Mommy program? Don't they take exemptions for vaxes? :

13moons- Celtic Faire info!!!! I was sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope all went well in bringing her home.

BeTheEarth- great poem! It's inspired me to go find Van Morrison's song Moon Dance.

Re: catholics baptism
We're going to get around to this. We've been meaning too. Dh is the one for whom it seems the most important -- it's something he's wanted to do for his grandmother, and she's starting to lose her eyesight, so it's become a big agenda on my MIL's list. I also think part of it is because he's still really tied to Catholicism, whether he admits it or not (he was an alter boy ). I have no real feeling on the situation, so long as no one forces my dc to go to church. I'm just kind of : that dh hasn't got it done already and so we have to keep hearing about it from my MIL.

Re: pendulums
I have a double terminated quartz crystal given to me by my godfather when I was 15 (back at the height of Shirley McClaine's [sp?] coming out of the New Age closest and writing all those books about it :LOL ). Anyway, it's my pendulum. I wear it so often and use it for so many meditating and grounding practices that it's pretty charged. A Llewellyn pub that can help you out a bit is called Pendulum Magic for Beginners -- it's a typical Llewellyn book.

Re: Halloween
Generally, my group does a ritual the night before (if possible) Halloween for celebration of the spiritual side of the holiday. I have absolutely no qualms with any of the secular aspects of the holiday -- to me it's just as commercialized as Christmas, so I treat it the same way. Samhain is my spiritual time, Halloween is my secular time (just like Yule is my spiritual and Christmas is my secular). We dress up (usually in ren garb ), take the kids trick or treating (we limit the number of treats they eat and the rest comes with me to the office), read scary stories, carve pumpkins and decorate the house. I think it's my favorite holiday, closely followed by the winter holidays. (Not to mention, dh's and my anniversary is on Nov. 1 ) A question I have about celebrating it with dd this year is, what do you do with a toddler? I'd rather wait until next year to do the geneaology project so she'll comprehend it better, but I'm not sure what might be appropriate for a 2 yo. Any ideas?

Re: Narnia
I read only The Lion, The Witch, and The Wadrobe as a kid. I've been intending to reread with the movie coming out, but for some reason it hasn't appealed to me to do it. Honestly, I can't remember one detail of the book. I know that it's said the series is heavily laden with Christian overtones and high morals, so maybe that's what's stopping me. But then, Tolkein's works are also suppose to have Christian symbolism and I can't see it off the bat. I guess I'd just rather see the more magically side of it. Anyway, I'll have to make an effort to reread it so I can make a more intelligent comment on it. :LOL
Old 10-01-2005, 09:40 PM

Some books I recently found while working on my library's collection that you might like to share with your dc (they're older, so many libraries may still have them I marked titles better suited for younger kids with an * ):

The Stranger by Chris Van Allsburg
What would happen if Fall got hit by a car and suffered amnesia?

Harald and the Great Stag by Donald Carrick
Harald likes to pick berries in the woods and hopes to one day see the legendary great stag. When the noblemen's hunters threaten to hunt down the stag, can Harald save his friend?

* No Nap for Benjamin Badger! by Nancy Carlstrom
Benjamin is almost 3 and doesn't need a nap, until mama convinces him otherwise. Ends with a lovely naptime cosleeping scene of mama and Benjamin.

* Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes (actually, this one is newer and a Caldecott Award winner, so libraries should have it)
Kitten's adventures of trying to drink from a large bowl of milk that appears in the night sky.

Temple Cat by Andrew Clements
One would think that having servants who worship you as a God would be bliss, but all Temple Cat wants are the simple pleasures of a cat's life.

Happy Reading! :
Old 10-01-2005, 09:58 PM

happy happy october all!! it sure doesn't feel like fall here yet...its about low 70's here and its already 7pm. but atleast its comfortable...it was HOT today! i can't wait till its a bit chilly and you have to decide if you want to bring a sweater

dh went to the store a little bit ago and hopefully he'll find the hylands herbal and some chamomile tea...i sent him w/ a list so im sure he's capable :LOL

13moons~hope you enjoyed the celtic faire! im really sorry to hear about your grandmother. i can't believe no one was told about her condition! im thoroughly shocked...and saddened that your aunt had to find out from your grandmothers roommate! i hope she'll be more comfortable at your moms..

heket~those are great book suggestions..."no nap for benjamin badger" sounds so cute! im with you too, i think halloween is my fav secular holiday followed by winter ones...lots of fun to dress up and i have to admit i love candy! :LOL what better excuse to eat candy than to have to eat the kind that your dc's "can't" have

hope everyone's having a safe and happy weekend...

kelly
Old 10-01-2005, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi I sometimes pop into these threads and pop out again, but I'd like to join in and stay this time. I love autumn so much. We even had a hailstorm today with short breaks here and there for sunshine. The weather has such an energy in fall that I can feel all the way through me.

I guess I don't have a ton to say because I haven't been in these threads much, but here is a yummy recipe I thought you all might enjoy.

Honey Baked Apples

6 large Rome or Fuji apples
6 tsp. honey
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp. sugar
pinch nutmeg
1 orange

Core apples, being careful not to cut all the way through. Peel about 1/3 of the way down from the stem end. Combine honey and orange juice; pour into centers of apples. Set in baking dish. Pour a little hot water in bottom of pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes or until apples are tender. Sprinkle tops with a little sugar and nutmeg. Run under broiler to glaze. Quarter orange slices and tuck them in center of apples after glazing. Makes 6 servings.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 10-01-2005, 10:33 PM

Hi UnschoolnMa! Glad to see you can join us. That recipe sounds . I'm gonna try it next week after we get some apples at our farmer's market.

Anyone else been having some fall feelings? I've been feeling really *witchy* and magical -- like Stevie Nick's song Gypsy. I just want to get some long skirts, boots and a cape... :LOL But it's still a little too here to even consider long sleeves and skirts.... Soon though.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:41 PM

Unschoolnmom~
Honey Baked Apples sounds so good! Thank you for posting. I'm going to show it to DS#1. I'm pretty sure he would like to make this.

Be The Earth~
Thank you so much for that poem. I am also going to share this with my DS.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:57 PM

Just a gentle reminder to all NOT to leave a candle unattended. I just lost my altar not moments ago. I saved most of my stuff, but my clothe, candles, holders, fall goodies are all trash. My goddess statue is crispy and so is my greenman. Thanks goodness my dh smelled smoke. It almost caught the wall on fire. I can't believe I left it there. I feel like such an idiot!

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 10-01-2005, 11:17 PM

Ohh no Mamaofthree! I am glad everyone is OK and that you saved most of your things. Fire is so unpredictable...Ive had my own close calls in the past, so don't be too hard on yourself.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 10-01-2005, 11:27 PM

Hi everyone, thank you for your well wishes It is good to know, at least, that there are women here to listen.

13moons~I hope you had a great day at the Celtic Faire!!

About Narnia~I read them but it was a long time ago. They are written by a Catholic author and the series does have a lot Christian inuendo. I know a lot of people view the series as Classic Literature, but I think that there are many other great books to read that spark great imagination.......thanks to JK Rowling for spurring that on Just my .02

Little House on the Prairie~I forgot about that one! Do you think that it would be okay to read to a 4 yo? We are trying Year 1 Harry Potter, and she looks confused by some of it.

Calming ideas~Thanks for posting that info on winding down. I like the scents of lavander and vanilla, myself. Maybe I will make candles with those scents, that way when I need, I can light them. Good idea! *green*faery*, how did your candles come out?

Be The Earth~That was a great poem, thanks for sharing

As for me, today was nice, we went errand-running mostly. Midday though, we grabbed bagels and took them to a great park so the kids could play. It was so nice As we were leaving we could hear Pacabel's Canon playing in the distance on violins....there was a wedding ceremony. It was really pretty.

I guess that Dh has not been told that he will go, but it is more of an understanding. he is doing all of the prep-work one must do before deploying. I guess I should not have flipped out but I do want to know whether or not he is going. My mother did suggest that I could rent an apt by her, that way I am by family. That is an idea but we'll see. As far as the vax issue......that is the military for you. It is expected of everyone, nowadays, to vax, so that when someone chooses not to, they get screwed over. I will see what other options I have though. My mom thinks that I should just vax them that way "It will be easier in the long run...you have delayed them long enough to where the dangers are gone." :

I just ordered Great Mother and the Cait Johnson cookbook that was suggested. I can't wait till they come in the mail! I hope they will this week. I also recently purchased a great Tarot deck called the Druidcraft Tarot. I it!!

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
Old 10-01-2005, 11:30 PM

Happy October, all!

nak, so a quickie.

I LOVE October. Crisp, cold, sunny, and windy. I've been feeling extra energetic and very nesty (is that a word?) the last few days. I think I'm going to steer this energy toward trying to finish getting the house unpacked and painted, the bulbs in the ground for next spring, and the veggie gardens settled in for the winter.

My little one is sharing in some cold germs that have been making their rounds, though. Any kitchen witch ideas for helping her feel more comfortable? She's got a clear runny/stuffy nose and less of an appetite than normal; our friend's son with the same bug has progressed to chest congestion and I'd like to try to avoid that if possible!

When did you start trick-or-treating with your kiddos (if you do, that is)? Qualia's only going to be 11 months old, but we really want to get dressed up and go begging for treats!!! :LOL
Old 10-01-2005, 11:34 PM

UnschoolnMa~Mmmm, that recipe sounds yummy, thanks for posting

mamaofthree~ I am sorry your stuff got ruined. Don't feel like an idiot, I have left candles unattended too. Actually I left the house with one burning: Ran errands for the whole day! Luckily it was a jar one so that it did not burn our house down! We all make mistakes.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:16 AM

Happy October all!

heket~ thanks for the heads up in the Sept. thread. I knew it was October- I even flipped the calender, but I was just blissfully posting away! :LOL

mamaofthree~ooo, sorry about the candle incident

unschoolmama~I'm going to make the recipe soon!

earthmama~ my 16 month old dd is just getting over a cold. I used a humidifier and put a pillow under her mattress to help with her nighttime breathing. I also used saline drops.

Now, on to book talk! Yippee, I love to talk about books!

Emmama~ my dd is 5 and very much into chapter books. My dh and I have decided to not read her the Harry Potter books for a few more years. They are a bit complex and I found them scarey,too!: She likes The American Girl series, Judy Moody(might be a tad to mature, though), Magic Tree House. We started reading chapter books to her when she just turned 4- before that lots and lots of picture books. Have you seen the books by Elsa Beskow- we love them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTheEarth
[p.s. Salvia, I, personally, find the Narnia books to be nationalistic, imperialistic, afeminist glorifications of war that insidiously foist Christian stories and morals onto young readers. But I do think they have great models of reading and using one's imagination. Just one gal's opinion...]
Love it, BeTheEarth! I came into the Naria series knowing all the background about Lewis, but my dh loves the books so much I had to read them. He was raised in a pagan, book-loving family, so to him they are just fun books, not diatribes on Christianity. Some of the books I like a lot more than others. Prince Caspian is wonderfully pagan, in my opinion! Wow- the scean where Pan and the Maenads come! Oh, I wanted them to come to me and have me take off my clothes and dance!

Also, in my opinion, Lucy and Susan and Polly are really strong female characters. Lord of the Rings has a lot fewer female characters(but I love those books too). I guess I view both Lewis and Tolkein's books in light of the time they were created. They are both very pro-war and good vs evil. I think during the time of the first and second war this was a world view that was very strong. If that world view exsists any more, it sure doesn't with me.

Thanks for the poem, too, BeThe Earth! My dh is getting ready to harvest the grapes, so we are thick in the glories of autumn!

I really enjoy this group! Thanks!

Salvia

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 10-02-2005, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369
When did you start trick-or-treating with your kiddos (if you do, that is)? Qualia's only going to be 11 months old, but we really want to get dressed up and go begging for treats!!! :LOL
My Ds first went trick or treating as a 3.5 month old little devil. And Dd's first trick or treat was at almost a year old (her bday is in Nov) I believe she was a pumpkin. We went with other folks and their kids. Some people gave candy to me "for" them but not really, and some didn't but it was all just a blast.

Old 10-02-2005, 11:31 AM

Happy October all!

I won a copy of Circle Round on Ebay, so I am waiting patiently for that. I am waking dh with typing tho, so I will write more later!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 10-02-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmama
I also recently purchased a great Tarot deck called the Druidcraft Tarot. I it!!
I have only seen them online. It is on my list of treats to buy for myself. Are they as beautiful in person as they are online?
Old 10-02-2005, 02:15 PM

Earthmama~You talked about feeling nesty. Yes, that is one thing that I love about Autumn. We come home a little more and stay home a little more. I simmer cinnomon sticks on the stove and start baking bread and goodies again. We eat soups and chilli. I stop making salads and grilling. This time of year I also start planning out my sewing projects. I have my sewing projects planned out and have started to gather the things that I will need. Over the next week I will finish gathering everything that I need for the projects. I will be making clothes through Autumn and Winter as well as embroidering a tablecloth. I love Autumn so much.

mamaofthree~ So sorry about your fire. I have made huge messes with wax that has dripped. Wax is very hard to clean up! I can't tell you how many people I know who have had accidents with candles. Fire must be respected.

BellaBabe~ Congrats on winning Circle Round. You will use it for years to come. It is such an excellent resource.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:26 PM

One more post I just saw this article on Yahoo Headlines and thought some of you might like to read it.

Statues of Greek Goddesses Found
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050930/...ncient_statues
Old 10-02-2005, 07:30 PM

happy October everyone! It's definately autumn here, we had a wonderful thunderstorm last night and has been lovely and crisp during the days (averaging in the low 60s). The boys are loving the wind whipping the leaves into small whirlwinds!
We had our belated Mabon celebration this past Friday, and it was so nice having everyone over and enjoying the fruits of the season. Ended up with 10 adults and 6 kids We've started our wassail pot for the cold season (I get the crock pot out and put some cinnamon sticks, cloves, and slice an orange or two and then fill it with apple juice or cider) yummy! I'm a little sad though, because there's no more leftovers from the potluck :LOL
Halloween is fun for the kids getting to dress up and do the trick or treat thing - all three boys were dragons last year, this year they want to be pirates. My oldest was a knight in shining armour at 11 mos hehe, I had found this great gold sequin fabric and then lined that with soft sweatshirt fleece and made it into a hooded zip-front bodysuit and then made a red tabard to go over it, so cute! This will be our first year celebrating Samhain, so I'm not sure what we will be doing.
Books for kids ~ when we were trying to get our boys interested in reading I bought them the Spiderwick series, nice short chapter books, with a few pictures (black and white drawings) full of faeries and goblins, but not really scary. My oldest (will be 8 next month) just started reading the Hobbit. (I personally have never seen the Christian symbolism in Tolkein, but then he converted on his deathbed, so I don't buy it really anyway - my MIL is super fundy but will let her kids read Tolkein but not JK Rowling... because 'Tolkein was a Christian')
UnschoolnMa ~ your baked apple recipe sounds wonderful! We try not to do a lot of desserts here, but I think I could handle that one

well, I suppose I ought to get back to work!
Old 10-02-2005, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_kass
I have only seen them online. It is on my list of treats to buy for myself. Are they as beautiful in person as they are online?

More!! They are sooo much better IRL !

Old 10-02-2005, 08:57 PM

I'm new to this part of the boards but I saw a Pagan thread and had to post

IRL I'm having trouble finding like-minded souls. Unfortunately, I live in the Bible Belt and Dallas, particularly our suburb (Lewisville) has a LOT of fundy christians. I would really like to get my kids together with Pagan families like us, and a plus would be if they also hs'd. If you guys have any resources, I'd be grateful!

Anyhow, we are going to the Mainstay Pumpkin Patch tomorrow to meet a girlie from MDC who is both Pagan and hs'ing. I can't wait!

If any of you live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, we could schedule a meet if you want.

With love,

Olivia
Old 10-02-2005, 09:13 PM

Howdy, WB&N (love the name!)

This is a great group!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 10-02-2005, 10:34 PM

mamaof3- I'm so sorry to hear about the incident. It is a very timely reminder for all of us as we approach Samhain.
Emmama- Your day at the park sounds wonderful! As for
Quote:
My mom thinks that I should just vax them that way "It will be easier in the long run...you have delayed them long enough to where the dangers are gone."
That just makes no sense. "Vax them because the danger has passed" sounds like what she's saying. Anyway, this is why we don't discuss it with my dad or mil -- they just wouldn't get it and I don't feel like constantly defending my decision. I'm still keeping good thoughts for your dh.

earthmama369- how old is your little one? My household just went through a second round of colds. But I think this last one was more cold/ flu related. The last seemed to be spawned by my minor bout with mastistis -- I had it, and then dd got a short cold and ds was out for a day. But this last cold seems a little harder to beat. I'm doing much better, dd has lost her cough. and ds is finally getting through all the mass of congestion he had. I've decided to become more proactive and take Vit. C regularly along with probiotics. I'm also trying to build up our natural first aid stash (homeopathy, herbs for kids tinctures, propolis from the local famer's market), but I too would love to hear of other ideas.

As for trick or treating, we did it last year (dd was 14 months) but not the year before (she was 2 months, but we almost did. I think it was raining and that's why we didn't). She it! This year, she's identifying Halloween items and I think she'll enjoy it much more. I still have to get dd's costume, but for ds he'll be a spider (I found the cutest outfit at :cough: walmart :cough: ). If all else fails, dd can be a witch again like last year. Anyhoo, I think 11 months would be great. You'll get a lot of looks that say, "why are they giving this to me?" and "wow, this is fun!" from your dc. :LOL

Bella Babe- Thanks for posting that about Circle Round. I don't know why I always forget to check eBay for items. When I get some $$ with the next paycheck, I'm going to try to get a copy myself.

mama_kass- ITA about doing more indoor crafts. Most of my crocheting and needlework happens at this time of year. I try to plan ahead and do some in the summer, but I can't seem to get into it until now. Same with baking and stew making. Thanks for the goddesses link. I heard about it on news radio and it was nice to see a print copy.

wb&n- ! How did your visit go?

As for me, literally as I was typing this (I'm at my parent's place at the moment), my parents just learned that the condominium complex they've lived in since I was seven is about to be seized under "emeninet domain" for the building of a railroad extension. This is just the first word, so there's probably time before they actually have to "move." They're renters and don't make much, so it couldn't come at a worse time (not to mention the holidays are coming and this is now going to overshadow everything. ) I hope it all turns out well....
Old 10-02-2005, 10:48 PM

Happy October everyone! Samhain is just around the corner, and I can't wait! Sorry I didn't post more than once last month (I'll try to be around more now lol)...so I guess I should reintroduce this month :LOL I'm Heidi a solitary pagan witch in South Carolina ! I have a DS who is 9.5 mo and holds the moon in his hands, and a very supportive, albeit agnostic , DH who is a great treasure to me . We are thriving!

Welcome, also, to Olivia! I saw something about 13moons grandmother, and what I saw looked to be a terrible situation. I hope all is well with you and your family . Mamaofthree, I am terribly sorry about your altar...what a disheartening occurance.

I did something very exciting last Monday. I made my first besom! It turned out beautifully! I used a long sun bleached stick my mother and I found on the beach the other week that was absolutely perfect! Doing that spurred me to set up my altar, finally, :LOL in our bay window, and my besom is hanging over it slowly drying out.

DH and I have scheduled a paganing ritual for our DS for next month during the peak of the full moon....I am so excited about it. I have a dear dear DEAR (did I say dear?? ) Druid friend, who has recently begun his path as a priest, coming to town to perform it for us. He played an integral part in DS conception (a blessing after our loss), so, him performing the cermony should be a very spiritual moment for all of us. I am very excited to say that my mother will be in the circle with us. It makes me so happy that she excepts us for who we are and supports us, as well.

I hope everyone is enjoying the season! Brightest Blessings to all!

Blessed Be!
Heidi
Old 10-03-2005, 12:42 AM

heket~I am sorry to hear that about your parents. I couldn't imagine being forced to leave after living somewhere for so long. I hope that finding a new place and moving goes smoothly and that your family is able to enjoy the holiday season. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise, Yule is the holiday for hope. I will keep your family in my thoughts.

Welcome WB&N and Irisflame

I hope you all enjoyed your weekend. Ours was lovely! Good night

Old 10-03-2005, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTheEarth

Re: books in the house, I just learned in a reading class that I am taking (my last class to get my M.Ed. in English Education -- woohoo!!) that the availability of books in the home and the attitude of family members toward reading are two of the most important indicators of whether or not a child will become a confident, successful, independent reader. If only we could all have a "whole series of rooms that led into each other and were lined with books" like the professor's house in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

We keep talking about adding a "library wing", mostly in jest, but since we turned the library into a playroom that will eventually be the boy's bedroom when they want their own room, many of our books are bagged up in closets and such (even after DH built us a floor to ceiling paperback bookshelf that takes up a wall in the guest room). Not that I was really surprised given that both DH and I love to read and always have at least one book going, but now I understand a bit better why DS#1 who isn't quite 3 is trying to figure out how to read, and spends a lot (read as nearly all ) of his time wanting us to read stories to him.

I must be the only one who said "huh?" when told that the end of the Narnia series was all about Christian values/ideology. I took it all for a fun lark, when I read it in late gradeschool, and even when I re-read it in high school and college didn't really pick up on it too much -- I was probably too busy enjoying all the fun stuff they were getting to do and see, and wishing it was me getting to do it all. It's definately got the feel of many books written at that time as far as women's roles and such -- they were restricted, but they were very important none the less.

re: Fall Weather -- We had an awesome string of thunderstorms roll through this afternoon, wonderful fun thunder, not too close, but loud enough you could hear differences in the sounds, and then it would rain for a while, and then it started again. It messed up our afternoon plans, but it was fun to listen to curled up on the couch nursing DS#2 and reading.

re: Halloween -- I'm still trying to decide what to do for dress up for DS#1 this Halloween -- I think he'd enjoy it, but we live out in the country and there's no place to take him to show off his costume if he had one. Last year he just wore a pumpkin sweat shirt, that I need to dig out and wash for DS#2 to wear.

13moons -- I hope your grandmother is okay, that's really scary.

Emmama -- re- vaxxing, I'm dreading starting to deal with school systems this winter when DS#1 will hopefully start at preschool. I'm hoping since it's a long-established Montesori school, I wont be the first non-vaxing parent and it will be easy. Also, good luck with DH's pending deployment, One of the Dad's in my birth class was called up durring class but hadn't shipped out yet and made it back for his DS's birth before he left the country, and there's a mom in our LLL group who's husband has been in Iraq for about 9 months now. he's supposed to be back in the states in January. They are such strong women to manage that, I am always in awe of them. and I'm sure you will be strong too. I'm sure we'll all help by lending an ear when you need it, or more if we can.

Happy October everyone

-debbie )O( wife to J., mom to P. (12/21), L. (4/30)

Old 10-03-2005, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybele
re: Fall Weather -- We had an awesome string of thunderstorms roll through this afternoon, wonderful fun thunder, not too close, but loud enough you could hear differences in the sounds, and then it would rain for a while, and then it started again. It messed up our afternoon plans, but it was fun to listen to curled up on the couch nursing DS#2 and reading.
We've had some weather like that the last few days here too. It's wonderful! We had crazy rain, and then some wind with a sun break..and then it would all shift again. We all went and stood on the porch just watching the rain. The neighbors across from us were having a party of some sort, and we could see their group at the window watching too. It was neat, and it smells so goood afterward.

Unfortunately we have noticed that our house is starting to be very cold with the temps getting chilly. This will be our first fall/winter in this house, and clearly we need to weatherize.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:25 PM

I wish it would feel more like fall here. It is still in the 90's. : I am so ready for cooler weather. I grew up in Oregon and there was definately a fall there, now in Arizona, it is so fleeting, it is so sad because it is my most favorite season. The releif from the heat of summer and right before it is cold and dark. You get that whole death and hibernation thing going on. WELCOME!! WB&N!!!

I am getting my altar back together. I think I am most bummed about my altar cloth. I had made it myself with the phases of the moon on it and the 4 directions and in the center was a spiral goddess. Maybe I will work on one again.

Man I am in a mood today! Sheesh. I need to work on some kind of something. :
Oh does anyone know of a place (perferable on line) that sells peasanty skirts. I so want a couple for the fall to wear with tights and sweaters. I am sick of pants! But I need something that flows and moves.... Thanks

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 10-03-2005, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket
As for me, literally as I was typing this (I'm at my parent's place at the moment), my parents just learned that the condominium complex they've lived in since I was seven is about to be seized under "emeninet domain" for the building of a railroad extension. This is just the first word, so there's probably time before they actually have to "move." They're renters and don't make much, so it couldn't come at a worse time (not to mention the holidays are coming and this is now going to overshadow everything. ) I hope it all turns out well....
Don't even get me started about eminent domain! This makes me very angry. We live in a free country, yet the goverment can force you to sell "your" land to them. I am so sorry to hear this about your parents and everyone else that will have to move. I doubt they will recieve any financial help since they are just renters. It makes me so angry. I'm sorry for your parents.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisflame
DH and I have scheduled a paganing ritual for our DS for next month during the peak of the full moon....I am so excited about it. I have a dear dear DEAR (did I say dear?? ) Druid friend, who has recently begun his path as a priest, coming to town to perform it for us. He played an integral part in DS conception (a blessing after our loss), so, him performing the cermony should be a very spiritual moment for all of us. I am very excited to say that my mother will be in the circle with us. It makes me so happy that she excepts us for who we are and supports us, as well.
Heidi,
This sounds so wonderful! Please post about your ritual after you have done it.

User Tag List