Spirituality is now open... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-12-2003, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Greetings everyone,

Thank you for honoring the moratorium that was placed on this forum. Your grace and respect is appreciated.

We have spent the past few weeks discussing some of the more concerning board issues we have been experiencing. Spirituality has become a board of concern in the sense that threads often turn to debate and criticism rather than a sharing of faith and spirituality which is meant to be the purpose of the board. So we have made the decision to restrict the board discussions to that of support, respectful requests of information, and sharing of faith and practice. The board will not host discussions of debate or criticism and disagreements should be set aside. While we will not restrict discussions to persons of the faith being discussed we will be active in discouraging an individual from posting for the purpose of disagreement with no interest in practicing the faith or belief in discussion. Controversial subjects of discussion related to spiritual beliefs can be found elsewhere on the internet and we invite you to seek out other sites for that purpose.

We hope that this redirection of the forum will help to make Spirituality a more supportive and welcoming forum for everyone. We also ask, as we open the board for posting once again, that you read the new User Agreement and Board Policy Enforcement document.

Blessings to you all,
~Cynthia

#2 of 8 Old 01-13-2003, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi cynthia

i have a question. recently i have been thinking alot about my catholic upbringing and have wanted to start a thread discussing some of the things i was taught in school, that would allow both catholics/christians and others to reply. i imagine that with the subject i am pondering, there would naturally be a bit of debate around it (as there is a *lot* in my own mind). it is something that is very important for me to be able to discuss, and i'd really like to have the opinions of the MDC members that i respect..

so i had an idea. what if, if someone has a controvercial subject pertaining to spirituality or religion they wish to discuss, they would have permission to do so, but only if they have "(debate allowed)" (or something) as part of the subject title of their thread? that way, anyone entering the discussion would have an understanding that their beliefs might be (respectfully) challenged, and those who don't care to debate would know to stay out of that particular thread.

cuz i've been thinking about it, and i know that when it comes to my own spirituality, i like to stay open to all beliefs. in fact, that is a large part of it, and i think healthy debate is to be expected when we're discussing something as ambiguous as spirituality. in fact, i don't really think it is possible to agree with another's spiritual beliefs 100%. do you know what i mean? i, *personally*, wouldn't be satisfied with only having those that completely agreed with me responding to me. i think that to grow, we need to be questioned and challenged respectfully. and i'm not sure i understand where the line will be drawn?

for example, in the astrology thread, i would have no problem with someone coming in who didn't believe in astrology, and asking quesitions, or giving their reasoning as to why they don't. i'm not really dogmatic about astrology (tho i would be fascinated and eager to see their chart to see where their skepticism may originate ), and i would consider it an opportunity to open my mind, and maybe explain my belief a little more thoroughly.

did that make any sense?
#3 of 8 Old 01-13-2003, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Makes sense to me, FWIW.

"What will you do once you know?"
#4 of 8 Old 01-13-2003, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

There's nothing wrong with sharing one's exploration of one's faith and that of others. But if the discussion turns to debate it will be ended. I'm sorry but we have come to this decision after much thought as to the purpose of the forum and what we are willing to host. We want to put an end to some of the hostility that this forum has seen over the past year and as much as we have tried to gently guide some of the debates and advise some of the members the tone often turns harsh, judgemental and critical.

It is reasonable that not everyone will agree and believe or practice equally. There's room for differences of opinion. But there will be no debating on the board.

Where will the line be drawn? We don't have it laid out black and white. There's too much gray to consider and allow space for to put up a do and don't list. We'll just have to do our best to encourage support and sharing of info and discourage knocking, bashing, and negativity in general. If we feel a discussion is headed in that direction we'll let those involved know.

#5 of 8 Old 01-13-2003, 09:00 PM

thanks for clarifying, cynthia. i think i understand.
#6 of 8 Old 01-15-2003, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is a difference between "i disagree, here is what I think, what do you think about that" and "Your wrong, you suck and everyone you worship with is a jerk!!"

And thank you for bringing back this new happier forum

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#7 of 8 Old 01-16-2003, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Most welcome!

#8 of 8 Old 01-20-2003, 07:49 PM

mambeard - did you start that thread yet? I was just looking for it but couldn't find it. I was interested to see what it was you were exploring about your upbringing (which sounds similar to mine).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page