Anyone else from a VERY mixed religious background? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-14-2003, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just completely curious if anyone else is from a mixed religious background?

I seem to be the only one i know.

My Dad practices Siddha Yoga since I was 7yo....(for 30 yrs now )

My Mom has always belonged to a Presbyterian(sp?) kinda progressive church(she loves the contemporary Christian rock band that plays at her church! ) My parents are divorced.

Sister #1 is Catholic.

Sister #2 is VERY devout LDS.

Bro is Siddha Yoga follower.

Sis#3 is Southern Baptist.

and after years of trying every single one of these out, I just converted to Catholicism this past summer.

Dh grew up with no religion,lots of science in college,lots of death in life,and is going to Church with me and the kids as of lately.

If any of you are wondering,NO we don't talk about religion when we get together. Just peace and love. HA! MY bro thinks LDS are out to ruin the environment. MY Dad now thinks I practice canabolism along with sis #1. Sis #2 will probably try to convert all of us once we are dead. And Mom is just tickled silly that we all have some kind of faith....especially me, as I was the *lost* one for so many years.

It gets interestingtrying to explain it to dd, as she is now stsarting to get it!

I want her to recognize and respect all faiths and their importance in our exixtence. She is just really wierding out that Gramps isn't Catholic or a Christian. AAAhhh....to be a child in my wierd family and to have to figure all of us out!?

mamapoppins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-14-2003, 10:04 AM

Hello...

My name is Joyce and I am new here. My mother is Jewish, though non-practicing, and my later father was Quaker in background, though not practicing. I was raised United Methodist, and practiced till after I was married, and am now Pagan clergy.

Is that mixed up enough? hehehe.

Well, let's just say that I was a seeker on the path for a long time and didn't know what to call my way.

I think there is a very big difference between spirituality and religion, though I am not altogether sure what that difference really is.

My husband and I met at a Methodist church-run summer camp. We were both counselors. That was 25 years ago.

Today, after 25 years together, we are both Pagan clergy, but we are also interfaith/non-denominational ministers, and we have a wedding ministry, which is such a blessing for us. We work through Universal Life Church (yeah it's "mailorder" but it really works for us in a good way), and we have a pretty fine reputation for working well together, honoring the way of the couples we marry, and we are gay-friendly.

We just did our first same-sex wedding last summer and it was one of the most tender and loving ceremonies. Course one of the couple was a guy who I had known since he was 16....and he came out to me first...didn't even trust his own family, which makes me feel deeply honored. Bless his heart.

But I digress. We have 25 acres on which I get to pray and think and listen...many folks talk to the Universe/God/ess/es/Great Mystery, etc.; but how many shut up long enough to listen for that voice?

I am also a Reiki Master/Teacher and work with unseen energy for wellbeing of body, mind and spirit. Am in my 14th year of that practice. So I am truly eclectic in my faith and background.

I feel like a crazy quilt...looks very gaudy and busy on the outside, but boy the warmth and coziness from the inside is what is most real.

Warmth to you both!...Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#3 of 4 Old 01-14-2003, 03:21 PM

Hi:

Dad - Hindu

Mom- Catholic

Me and sibs - very confused

Me now - Unitarian universalist - respects all religious thought

siblings - still looking I guess
#4 of 4 Old 01-15-2003, 01:29 AM