#2 Biblical Marriage/Wife Submission Thread - Page 20 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#571 of 587 Old 05-14-2006, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Pearls are dead wrong on many things but she has some excellent points in that book. I like the book by Stormie too.
#572 of 587 Old 05-14-2006, 11:09 PM

I am NOT a Pearl fan due to many of their other warped views on family. I too like Stormie's book. I NEED to get a copy I borrowed it from a friend.
#573 of 587 Old 05-15-2006, 02:55 AM

Not sure if you know that there is a study guide that goes with Stormie's books. They are pretty challenging. She also has The Power of a Praying Parent books with study guides. Im telling ya! get together with at least one other woman and start praying for your dh and your marriage. I started doing the study about 2 years ago with someone at church with similar issues in her marriage. It was a miricle and incredible how the Lord brought us together to pray for our dh's. We invited another woman to start up with us and the Lord has blessed our marriages, and our friendship. I hate to sound like Im plugging this book but my marriage has been so blessed and radical things have occured since I did that bible study. Ill post my testimony once I get it down. It can be emotional writing about it, sort of reliving it. I can tell you that God has done absolutely incredible and miraculous, amazing things in my life and marriage. My family should not be together today considering what it was like four years ago. I need dh's permission to post about the details tho. We are still on the road to recovery, still dealing with issues but the Lord has used those 'issues' to work in my heart and bring me closer to Him. See when I get to a point in my life that is a bit sticky, or horrible or a situation that I just dont like, I ask 'what do you want me to learn from this.' Sometimes I dig my heals in but God is sooooo merciful and when Im stubborn he is so gentle with me. He wants to create in us a heart that is just like Jesus'. My marriage has definately been a furnace where the refiner has used to melt away the dross in my heart. The more that is burned away the clearer it is for me to see that there is plenty more where that came from! The more I see what is still left the more I want to humble myself and let him get rid of it. Like I said I still dig my heals in but thats all part of the process, I get more and more fed up with myself when i do that!! Makes me want to run to him even more!!!

Burble, borble blahblah blahhhhh. Sorry, I have no idea where I was going with all that!!
#574 of 587 Old 05-15-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
My marriage has definately been a furnace where the refiner has used to melt away the dross in my heart. The more that is burned away the clearer it is for me to see that there is plenty more where that came from! The more I see what is still left the more I want to humble myself and let him get rid of it. Like I said I still dig my heals in but thats all part of the process, I get more and more fed up with myself when i do that!! Makes me want to run to him even more!!!
This sounds like me Pre-marriage. Fire, dross the whole bit. SOunds a LOT like the words of a church I used to attend also. Seems you have been getting some good teaching (whether it was from that specific church or NOT). I agree there is nothing mroe powerful ina marriage than prayer. People should be praying for their spouses. I know I really don't seem to do it enough. Thank you for your post. Off to pray for hubby.
#575 of 587 Old 05-16-2006, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genifer
My marriage has definately been a furnace where the refiner has used to melt away the dross in my heart. The more that is burned away the clearer it is for me to see that there is plenty more where that came from! The more I see what is still left the more I want to humble myself and let him get rid of it.
AMEN!!

well teh trip[ went well. I had one little bout of pout and one little break down but 48 hour of travel with nothing but us and the easter half of the US I would say that is pretty good. we joke, we laughed, we sang stupid songs from our courtship. things felt right at moments. its been a long time since things have felt right. Thanks for your prayers ladies.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#576 of 587 Old 05-16-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
AMEN!!

well the trip[ went well. I had one little bout of pout and one little break down but 48 hour of travel with nothing but us and the easter half of the US I would say that is pretty good. we joke, we laughed, we sang stupid songs from our courtship. things felt right at moments. its been a long time since things have felt right. Thanks for your prayers ladies.

Sounds like things went pretty well. I will keep praying that they continue to do so.
#577 of 587 Old 05-16-2006, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

i am so glad things went well lilyka. I somehow missed the posting in my thing showing someone had posted here!

Ma-corrina, yes, I have Created To Be His Help Meet, (CTBHH), and had the audacity to mention it once on this forum. WOW...It took a month to grow back all my hair!! I started a wildfire , people flaming left and right.

I'm glad we're past all that!!

The pearls are not right in all their stuff, but every once in a while i come across a good idea.

We are doing well, and I am doing great in my house since I found the flylady! How is it that I had never heard of her before?? My sink is pretty much clean all the time, and I have real clothes on!! Ha!!
#578 of 587 Old 05-16-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genifer
Ive not read that one but The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian is a really good one too.
This book has changed my life recently. My mom got it for me and I have been praying nightly for Dh and seeing real results. Dh is an atheist and never goes with DS and i to church, but this week he actually said he will come with us on sunday. YAY!
I am finding real peace with Stormie's idea of " Shut Up And Pray". Its really helping my marriage that I have stopped nagging and pestering Dh and now just pray about things.
#579 of 587 Old 05-16-2006, 12:47 PM

Maybe we should start a new thread...I am trying to read thru all these posts and its just too long!!
#580 of 587 Old 05-16-2006, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...79#post5138879

There ya go!!
#581 of 587 Old 05-16-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom
i am so glad things went well lilyka. I somehow missed the posting in my thing showing someone had posted here!

Ma-corrina, yes, I have Created To Be His Help Meet, (CTBHH), and had the audacity to mention it once on this forum. WOW...It took a month to grow back all my hair!! I started a wildfire , people flaming left and right.

I'm glad we're past all that!!

The pearls are not right in all their stuff, but every once in a while i come across a good idea.
No, we're not "past all that "
#582 of 587 Old 05-16-2006, 04:04 PM

I wanted to clarify that I have read everything written by the Pearls that I can get my hands on (without paying for it), to "know mine enemy", since there are several Pearls supporters in our local multiples clubs. I don't remember reading anything I adamently disagreed with in the CTBHHM book. I liked a lot of her points from a Christian submissive wife's perspective. I don't think it is for the mainstream mom though.

I do believe that someone can be wrong about somethings and right on others. So I hope no one thought I was advocating for the Pearls. That was not my intention. I was just in a hurry and didn't clarify.
#583 of 587 Old 05-23-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laralou
I wanted to clarify that I have read everything written by the Pearls that I can get my hands on (without paying for it), to "know mine enemy", since there are several Pearls supporters in our local multiples clubs. I don't remember reading anything I adamently disagreed with in the CTBHHM book. I liked a lot of her points from a Christian submissive wife's perspective. I don't think it is for the mainstream mom though.

I do believe that someone can be wrong about somethings and right on others. So I hope no one thought I was advocating for the Pearls. That was not my intention. I was just in a hurry and didn't clarify.
Although I think that ad hominem attacks are fallacious arguments. I do feel that we can draw a pretty clear line. Advocating people's work, who also promote child abuse, on this particular message board and especially by a moderator must certainly be considered crossing the line. No matter how watered down the approach, it does still sound to me like you're advocating her book. Frankly, I'm shocked.
#584 of 587 Old 05-27-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama
Although I think that ad hominem attacks are fallacious arguments. I do feel that we can draw a pretty clear line. Advocating people's work, who also promote child abuse, on this particular message board and especially by a moderator must certainly be considered crossing the line. No matter how watered down the approach, it does still sound to me like you're advocating her book. Frankly, I'm shocked.
:eyeroll Why must there still be debate within this group? Are you here to discuss or only to mock and question?

I really enjoyed the book. I do not agree with there discipline moethods and have directly contacted them about my concerns. I however will not fully discount advice due to certain discrepancies in our beliefs.

The world is filled with people who believe spanking is ok.....even religious. My only choice is to help educate them. Spewing more hatred will never fix the problem.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#585 of 587 Old 05-27-2006, 08:40 PM

AB, it is not "spewing hatred" or "mocking" to say she would never take marital advice from child-abusers.
#586 of 587 Old 05-28-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
AB, it is not "spewing hatred" or "mocking" to say she would never take marital advice from child-abusers.
There are many women here I would take parenting advice from but NEVER marital advice.

I take information from here and there. I pray about it. I dismiss what I believe to be falsehoods and hang on to wisdom filled bits and pieces.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#587 of 587 Old 05-31-2006, 03:38 PM

I recently found two Pearl books in my church's library. One was the how to Train up a child book, the other was also about children. I had never seen the books in person. I picked up the Train one and read a few paragraphs and was almost physically ill. It was all I could do to gather my dd from her activity and leave.

When I got home, I called the pastor at home and just layed into him and asked him what kind of church it was etc.

I found out that the next morning he [the pastor] was in bright and early, found the books, and called a staff meeting. He had everyone look at them and they went into the trash. He said he couldn't even sleep that night he was so disgusted. The staff has figured out who placed them in the library and has called a meeting with that person. The library was not run by the church staff, but was basically a very tiny room with shelves people could put books to share. The pastors have said NO BOOKS BY THE PEARLS ARE ALLOWED IN THE CHURCH BECAUSE THEY [the pearls] ARE BENT. And this from an evangelical free church that has said they do not tell people how to raise their children. They believe, as do I, that anyone that could spew that kind of garbage found in Train up a Child is either spiritually misled themselves, or intentionally misleading others for their own ends TO SAY THE VERY, VERY LEAST. I would never want to put myself under their [the Pearls] influence in any area of my life - I think it would be dangerous, seriously.

Just a real life story and my own opinion.

Very sincerely,
Tracy

P.S. Sorry AngelBee s, I know you don't want this debate here. I jumped in on this thread in a positive way in the very beginning, and dropped out of the thread after I say you support that CTBHHM book months and months ago. Now that I actually saw those other Pearl books and the content, I can't tell you how evil I think they are and really wanted to add my story. Please forgive the intrusion into your thread, I couldn't help it.

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page