Spell work, Prayers, Intercession, etc., - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2003, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies,

I was wondering what kind of spell work you do. I'm really new to this and I'm very interested in how this works for other people!

I was raised in a church were "Intercessory Prayer" was very important. To me, it never seemed very different than magic, or spells. We would do certain symbolic things to achieve certain outcomes. (Such as blessing a cloth with holy oils and water and say blessings of healing of it, and take it to a sick person for healing. Or command spirits to come out of a person by placing hands in certain places, saying certain words, reading scriptures, using oils, and other purified objects.)
I have seen amazing outcomes from such things!

There seems to be certain "rules" (for lack of a better word,) for how this worked. I was wondering if the same is true with pagans. Other than asking different Deities, what rules apply?
I know that it will be different for different people, but I'm sure there is much that is the same. Like, elements for example, or certain herbs for certain things? Or specific words that you use?

Alright, I've rambled on long enough, I hope my questions make sense!

Namaste,
-ana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2003, 01:57 AM

Spellcrafting is a huge and diverse subject. Most pagans I know say intent is the most important thing. And I agree with that.

I work with one specific deity and make regular offerings. As far as spellwork I do candle magic alot and work with the lunar cycles. I also take the sign the moon is in into consideration, but to me it just adds extra oomph to a working and isn't a strict requirement that the moon sign correspond to the spell type. As far as wording, I write my own incantations and there aren't any rules associated with that. I do prefer that my incantations rhyme, but only because it makes it easier to remember.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Arduinna - You said that take the sign of the moon, and lunar cycle into concideration. This shows how little I know, but could you tell me a little more about that? I'm very interested in how the lunar cycle effects ...well, everything, but I haven't been able to get much information about it. I'd really like to know how you use it!

As I've said before, I really know nothing about this, but I want to know as much as possible! I hope I'm not the only one who wants to discuss this!!!
Old 01-21-2003, 01:48 AM

Well the different phases of the moon represent different things. Each person has their own interpretation. Some use the eight phases of the moon, dark moon (no moon), waxing cresent, first quarter moon, waxing gibbous, full moon, waning gibbous, last quarter moon and waning cresent. Some just use waxing, waning and full and new (or dark). It's personal interpretation. Usually waxing is a time for working on bringing things into your life and waning for releasing work. Some people don't do spellwork during the dark moon, and use it for meditation. The full moon is probably the most common time pagans work magic.

Then there are the signs the moon is in. The moon spends about 2 1/2 days in each sign. And each astrological sign represents certain things (which are somewhat up to personal interpretation also).

Then there is the days of the week which some people use (or not). Each day "ruled" by a different planet and associated with different issues or facets of a persons life.

There are more but those are the general basics.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just look at whether the Moon is waxing or waning if I'm doing spiritual work on that level.

I plant the garden according to the Moon if I'm growing food plants, has made for some late plantings some years!

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 01-21-2003, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Arduinna, that is very interesting! I really didn't know all that! It makes a lot of sence, though.

Anyone else????

User Tag List