How long have you been a practicing pagan? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: How long have you been a practicing pagan?
less than 6 months 2 9.52%
6-12 months 4 19.05%
1-2 years 2 9.52%
3-4 years 1 4.76%
5-10 years 4 19.05%
11-15 years 2 9.52%
16-20 years 3 14.29%
more than 20 years 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-21-2003, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering how long everyone has been practicing.
#2 of 15 Old 01-21-2003, 04:21 PM

arduinna,

In someways it depends on how you want to define the beginning. In some ways it has been all of my life, but in other it has been just about a year. What I mean is that I have always had a pagan approach to my spirtuality, but rebeled against identifing myself as such for many complex reasons. Then about 3.5 yrs ago I started admitting to myself that I was pagan, then finally admitted it to other about 1 yr ago. I just started going to group rituals in the last few months. So I suppose I could check all of the boxes .
#3 of 15 Old 01-21-2003, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

"What will you do once you know?"
#4 of 15 Old 01-21-2003, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

greenfrogs, no test here self identify as you see fit :-)

"practicing pagan" can many lots of things depending on who ya ask :-)
#5 of 15 Old 01-21-2003, 07:20 PM

I said 6months-1year, but I would have to say that my spirit has always been practicing pagan spirituality!

#6 of 15 Old 01-21-2003, 07:26 PM

OK....

I voted greater than 20 yrs, because that's what feels right.

disclaimer above....
#7 of 15 Old 01-22-2003, 01:21 AM

well, i put down 16-20, because that's how long i've self-identified with the word "pagan". before that, i didn't have a word to associate what i believed in. in truth, i've probably been a pagan my whole life! while i grew up catholic, i always felt closer to mary than the j. guy. no disrespect intended, it's just that whenever i felt in need, it was always mary i prayed to, as i felt she was the only one who would help me. after leaving the church as a teenager, i didn't know there was such a thing as being pagan, i just knew that i didn't relate to any religion, except in the vaguest of ways. when i discovered the whole realm of the goddess and that there was a path that could be personally defined and not dictated to, i knew that i'd found the right label to affix. one of the things i love about being pagan, is that it is as diverse as those who call themselves that. there is no "right way" to do it. the resonance of the heart is what leads the way.....
#8 of 15 Old 01-22-2003, 09:48 AM

I guess I began referring to myself as pagan and began a very simple practice around '87. (Interestingly, my mom was accused of witchcraft when I was around 8 or 10 years old.)

Now I am called an Elder within a few circles (since '96), and I've been working as interfaith, non-denominational clergy since '97.

I too, respect, love and work with Mary, in the form of the Virgin of Guadelupe...very drawn to her all my life...and I was not raised Catholic, so I don't know why, except she feels like The Mother to me...the Earth, and the Goddess.

I enjoy what Jesus had to say. I especially enjoy the Gospel of Thomas...I don't think that made the King James Version. But that is me...always looking at what is in the shadows, and most folks really shun that stuff, but miss out on alot in the process, imo.

I am very eclectic in my practice. I am not really good at conforming....go figure.

Peace!...Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#9 of 15 Old 01-25-2003, 01:55 AM

first, and i know this is ot but this is my first post in this forum, i want to say thank you to all of you beautiful pagans who hang out here. i have lurked here for some time and have gotten some really wonderful, helpful information, advice and links from you. ok, back on topic...

anyway, i would say that i have been pagan all my life but i never had a name to put to it. my mom was a really brainwashed christian but ironically, she read tarot cards and had a closeness to nature that i have observed in only a few people. she always said that paganism was bad, i think she didn't really understand it. if she had been exposed to what it really is, rather than what her fundamentalist christian friends said about it, i believe she would have made a different life decision on the matter.

for myself, after getting over what i was told for so many years the transition was easy. it seems so natural to me. my kids love it. they hated traditional midwestern "church", no matter what denomination we attended. so now we are a happy pagan family. whew, what a relief.
#10 of 15 Old 01-25-2003, 10:34 PM

I have always been repectful of nature and life. I guess I' m not a pagan, but I have always been fascinated by it.
#11 of 15 Old 01-26-2003, 08:10 PM

Well, I officially labelled myself as a pagan sometime last year, and started recognizing pagan rituals/hoidays with Samhain last year. Then we had a lovely Yule celebration and will continue through the calender this year. After that I may just pick and choose whichever ones feel right to me and the family.

I guess I started my journey with the creation of my altar last summer, but I have always had leanings toward recognizing the power of the elements.

Love you, A
#12 of 15 Old 01-26-2003, 10:14 PM

Am I a pagan? For lack of a better word, I suppose. Altho pagan is a pretty broad term, as is heathen. Both just mean country person. I happen to be a suburbanite, who loves nature, has a definite link to Asian religions, a warm fuzzy feeling for Christ as an everyman, only a son of god, in that we are all children of god.

So, I guess I've been a "pagan" all my life, even when shoved into a fundie Xtian mold. The Greek philosophers called themselves cosmopolitans, citizens of the cosmos. The gnostic Xtians called themselves friends of God. I'm somewhere in there, but not sure where. Too much information out there still to gather, absorb and internalize. Meanwhile, I will look at the moon, plant flowers, pull weeds, swim in the sea, put up my solstice tree, pet my kitties and hope a dragonfly lands on my book for a chat a few times this summer.

( I know I am a hippie/former punk/fierce intellectual/rebel/earth mother. OK, enough labels!)
#13 of 15 Old 01-28-2003, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

you too sunmountain :-)
#14 of 15 Old 02-04-2003, 02:36 AM

Hey Fellow Pagans~

I too have felt drawn to the pagan philosophy most of my life but I put the name "Pagan" on my cubbyhole 5-10 years ago (somewhere right in between). I have been very into ritual and have served as high priestess for an ongoing open circle in the past but for now I have put the altar away to make room for the playpen. I hope to get back into it when Rowan (4 mos old dd) is a bit older and I have more time to restart a circle...I LOVE writing rituals.

~Blessed Be.
#15 of 15 Old 02-04-2003, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arduinna
Just wondering how long everyone has been practicing.
I see it is a wide range of answers! I voted 11-15. I am 33 now, and I seem to have my first recolections at about age 15 or so. Wicca was becomig popular amongst the raver crowd I was with so I guess it grew from there. But I was raised pretty eclectic, organic, natural foods, few modern gadgets, etc...I am named after a pagan goddess/play character and was taken to a variety of churches and places of worship both Jewish and Christian and hippie I remember my sister and I being in a small group with other adults as kids, and looking back it seemed very pagan, but I have no clue. No bad memories, just vague.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page