Anyone want to talk about homeopathy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2005, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this here instead of health and healing because I'm really interested in learning more/talking about the spirituality of homeopathy.

I took a couple of workshops (summer care, intro to homeopathy, and homeoapthy for children) with a classically trained homeopath two springs ago and I was fascinated by it. I have since started working with her on my personal and family health and am very pleased with the results. (Though I still feel like so much of it is a mystery to me.)

I see a lot of talk on MDC about which remedies to use for various ailments but so far I haven't come across any discussions of the spiritual aspects of homeoapthy....which is what really fascinates me!!

Anyway....just wondering if any other mamas are interested in talking about homeopathy beyond just remedies and what books you might recommend for someone just getting started.

Thanks!

~Erin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 03:41 PM

interested!

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
Old 12-27-2005, 03:50 PM

I have nothing to add to this thread. I am just here for the . VEry interested in the discussion.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:49 PM

dharmama, maybe you could start with some of your gleanings/observations?

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
Old 12-27-2005, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well...I could share my personal experience...my mom is here visiting for a bit so I'll be back after she leaves!
Old 12-27-2005, 07:06 PM

that would be cool! when i got a constitutional remedy back in 2000, i'm certain it helped me significantly to change my life.

i have a new one waiting for me at the homeo-pharmacist, so i am very curious to see what new changes lie in wait!

Old 12-27-2005, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
yep. I see it.

my son was born in the summer of 2001. If you recall that year, ahem turned out to be very explosive. My son's astrological chart reflects some of those explosive tendencies. Ironically, his remedy is a flower that literally explodes when it blooms.
It is the perfect remedy for him.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Old 12-27-2005, 08:56 PM

: I am new to homeopathic medicine.

For me....I feel really close to my faith when I am using homeo medicine (I am Christian) I am in awe that what I need to be healed is already within me and growing on the earth. It makes me feel close to God. I am so greatful that he made me capable to heal my body.

Don't know if that makes sense... :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 12-27-2005, 11:11 PM

I am also thinking along the lines of energy work or 'light' healing as well. Much like Reiki is. Any thoughts on that?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to start this thread and then disappear. I got hit with the stomach flu yesterday afternoon. I'll post more when my head is a little more clear and my stomach more settled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee
: I am new to homeopathic medicine.

For me....I feel really close to my faith when I am using homeo medicine (I am Christian) I am in awe that what I need to be healed is already within me and growing on the earth. It makes me feel close to God. I am so greatful that he made me capable to heal my body.

Don't know if that makes sense... :
Totally makes sense to me!!
Old 12-29-2005, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
Sorry to start this thread and then disappear. I got hit with the stomach flu yesterday afternoon. I'll post more when my head is a little more clear and my stomach more settled.
Hope you are feeling better. :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 12-29-2005, 12:49 PM

Well, as a total homeopathic "freak" I would LOVE to join this thread!
I can't type now though because my son is very demanding at this minute.
I just wanted to recommend few books that some of you might be interested in.
Specially if you are interested in the spiritual aspect of homeopathy:

Homeopathic Psychology

and The homeopathic treatment of Children

Both of these book go into extream details od the most common constitutional remedies. It's AMAZING to read through it and trying to compare it to people you know or to yourself.

Also book that I don't have yet, but want VERY much is this:

The Spirit of Homeopathic Medicines: Essential Insights to 300 Remedies
talk about spritual aspect with this book!

Anyway, something to consider also is talking about the spirit of an illness/disease!! Why we get sick and what is the spitirual meaning of that? And why homeopathic remdies are the greatest choice for healing?

SOmething to think about......talk about!

I'll be back SOON! I won't miss this thread. I have some great website to show you too, but I'll do that later.....
Old 12-29-2005, 12:55 PM

I wanted to ask you a question - all of you here.

HOW DO YOU THINK HOMEOPATHY WORKS?

If somebody asks you about it, what do you say? How do you explain it? I'd love to hear your opinions on this. Because nobody actually knows how exactly homeopathy works, they just know it works.

But I am sure people came up with some answers. Everyone can have their own explanation - and I'd love to hear that, please!

I am absolutelly fascinated by homeopathy and thank you Erin for starting this thread! I hope it's gonna stay alive for a long time. Becuase this is finally something I can trully relate to.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Feeling MUCH better. Luckily it was a fast-moving bug.

Anyway....back to our regularly scheduled program....

My experience with homeopathy was the first time I heard about it (beyond arnica for bruises, which seemed to be the extent of homeopathy knowledge among my circle of friends) was at the workshops a couple of springs ago. And even though much of what she was saying made my head spin because it was just so far "out there" and so intense...I couldn't get enough.

I have been SO dissatisfied with allopathic medicine for years now and was deeply craving a more spiritual approach to healing. So the idea of dis-ease being healed at the Soul level really resonated with me.

About a year after the workshops I was feeling pretty out-of-control in terms of the demands of being a new mom and trying to figure out where I fit in in the world. I was struggling a lot with resenting and resisting some aspects of being a SAHM....like keeping up with house-cleaning, laundry, cooking etc. I was feeling really trapped and resentful of my husband for not doing more around the house (even though we had discussed ahead of time what our roles would be and I very willingly agreed that as the SAH parent I would be responsible for the majority of the household chores).

So anyway...here I was, teaching yoga 4-5 times a week (two classes specifically for moms...pre- and post-natal) and feeling like this complete fraud. Calmly and peacefully telling mamas how to breathe and relax and enjoy motherhood and totally freaking out almost every day because I felt so overwhelmed.

I decided to call the homeopath who I had met a year earlier and talk to her. Everything about our discussion was amazing. She wanted to know EVERYTHING from the mini-traumas of my childhood to my experience of clinical depression a few years ago to my lactose intolerance and TMJ.

It was one of the first times that I really felt like someone was looking at ALL of me...not just my symptom-du-jour and helping me to make some sense of it.

She prescribed a constitutional remedy for me and my body/mind/Soul's response was amazing.

It's been about 6 months now and I still struggle with the housework (like right now....post-holiday clutter is making me ) but I feel an overall sense of peace and calmness. I feel like I have a lot more clarity in terms of decsion-making and that I am better able to manage day-to-day stresses (that's not to say I don't still have my moments).

So now I'm in a place where I just want to learn more and more about homeopathy so that I am better able to administer it to my family. Right now I feel very much at the mercy of the teacher I am working with. I call her for a phone consulation for the slightest thing -- and although she is wonderful and responsive....it gets expensive paying for consulations. So my hope is to continue working with her but also to study on my own (or with her) so that I can increase my knowledge base.

Doh...DD just woke up from her nap. More when I can. Love to hear other's experiences!!!

~Erin
Old 12-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Banned

About 25 yr. ago a herbalist flogging his herbs came to my town and gave a public speech. Along the way, he mentioned homeopathy, explained how it works, and in a negative way said that it sounded too much like ancient oriental philosophy to him [and therefore he does not recommend it]. Just reporting what I heard!

A few years ago I went to a well trained, fulltime, well-known in these parts, homeopath, and she was useless. (She is now running a school of homeopathy in addition to her practice; I have seen her interviewed on Tv, etc.) But she kept selling me those little bottles of liquid and taking my pesos until I wised up and cut my losses.

Yes, there seems to be a strong spiritual angle to this style of medicine, and I find this discussion most interesting.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:09 PM

I am not sure what your intent is Lu, but I am sure I do not like the tone of your post. I really do not feel comfortable with it. Cannot put my finger on it tho.

It feels accusatory. Perhaps you could tell us a bit on how you think it may be spiritual to you?

I see it as this..like I poorly explained in my earlier post. Reiki is much like Homeopathy. Noone really knows how it works or even know really how ot explain it. WHat I do know is, it works with the Light. I also think that homeopathy works this way as well. But I also think you have to trust in it to work. Other wise you are blocked to the benefits. Am I making sense?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:42 PM

LuAnn ~ I am sorry for your not so good experience with homeopathy. NOt every homeopath knows what they are doing!! Expecially when it comes to classical homeopathy and they do not choose the right remedy, you don't have to see any results whatsoever.
On the other hand - if you are in total denial that it is going to work for you, you will NOT be able to see any changes whatsoever either. It goes both ways. I have a very dear friend, who say she believes in homeopathy, but she does not believe it works on her! And what a surprise - it really does NOT work with her, because she is tuned on that level and she won't even notice that it has done something for her!

Homeopathy is VERY VERY spiritual way of healing. You HAVE to be ready to accept it and to accept what it can bring you. Bad and good. ANd believe it can go pretty bad at first! It can turn your life around. You have to be ready to take your life into your own hands. That's what I love about homeopathy. Good homeopaths will give you a remedy and tell you how to use it, and then they will usually tell you to take a next dose (in classical homeopathy usually) when YOU feel ready, when you feel like you need it. They want you to be part of it, not just blindly swollow some pills and expect to get better.
Thus most people who came across homeopathy in their lives are so fascinated by it, because it gives them the power to help themselves. Just MHO.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Banned

This is to charmarty:

If my post "feels accusatory", that is not my doing. I can't help it that you are projecting something into the "tone" of my post. The tone IS neutral, because that is how I intended it to be. I had two experiences - hearing the herbalist, and going to a homeopath myself - and I related these 2 events to the readers here.

I am no longer interested in going to homeopaths, but I acknowledge that homeopathy works beautifully for some people, some of the time, and even for sick animals, so it is not the placebo effect. There is definitely something to it. It is a case of different strokes for different folks, and I prefer to use different forms of medicine, but there is nothing bad or wrong about homeopathy as far as I am concerned.

Spiritual? To answer your question: the minute physical quantities of the remedy, or its vibrations imbued into the carrier, somehow changing the pathology of the gross human body, and making it, or at least a part of it, as it was originally intended by its Creator - that is "spiritual" to me. And it sounds good and it is good.

To Yin Yang. Thank you so much for your kind, informative and caring words. I agree with your information.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Subbing. I don't have much to add right now.

Do any of you know much about the Back Flower remedies? I've found them very helpful in the past but I need a certain amount of energy to just figure out which one is appropriate for me at the time and start taking it- and I haven't had that energy lately! I'd love an online group where we could discuss together which remedies are the most appropriate.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 12-29-2005, 06:45 PM

I am glad I am wrong Lu. I was hoping I was. In fact, I just came back to give you a PM and then decide what to do with my post. I wish I had a chance to come back to the computer sooner. Sorry about that.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:56 PM

Homeopathy lover here! Hmmm. What makes homeopathy so spiritual? I guess what I like about it is that it works on the physical and emotional level. I truly do believe that dis-ease is often a physical manifestation of an emotional issue. In my experience, when I take a certain remedy, I find that I can get weepy or angry or whatever and then my body seems to "shift". I feel that homeopathy brings issues to the surface so that I can deal with them and move on. It has helped me with all types of problems, emotional as well as physical. The key is to find the right remedy (and a good homeopath).
Old 12-29-2005, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmyn's Mum
Homeopathy lover here! Hmmm. What makes homeopathy so spiritual? I guess what I like about it is that it works on the physical and emotional level. I truly do believe that dis-ease is often a physical manifestation of an emotional issue. In my experience, when I take a certain remedy, I find that I can get weepy or angry or whatever and then my body seems to "shift". I feel that homeopathy brings issues to the surface so that I can deal with them and move on. It has helped me with all types of problems, emotional as well as physical. The key is to find the right remedy (and a good homeopath).
That is very good explanation! I like how you put it nicely into words.
Especially that it brings issues to the surface for you to deal with it! That is so true.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:03 PM

:
Old 12-29-2005, 07:11 PM

To give an example, without getting into details, my pregnancy was very stressful in the beginning. I had morning sickness so badly that I lost 15 pounds in the first trimester (Istarted at 97 lbs). I saw a prenatal homeopath who recommended Ignatia which is the remedy for grieving. I took the remedy twice and had to lock myself in my room for 2 days. I've never cried that hard and that long in my life. I released a lot of "baggage". When my little breakdown was over, I never had morning sickness again.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:12 PM

charmarty ~ interesting point about the light therapy. Since I have done reiki myself, I don't know if I agree or disagree with that I picture homeopathy as more of a energy - vibration type of healing. In Reiki you channel the energy/light into someone, using the "universal energy" to heal them.
In homeopathy I think it's more bio-information thing. Let me explain myself.
This is how I came to understand homeopathy after about 10 years of deep interest in this subject. Also, I used to sell bio-information products, that are based on similar thing as homeopathy. It's all about the vibrations.

Everything around us vibrates. Every single thing has a different vibration length. Colors, stones, every living or non living creature, things, even thoughts, disease, wish, pray......EVERYTHING consist of vibrations. NO exception at all. Bacteria, viruses, everything.

So, homeopathic remedies are made from living and no-living matters. They are also made of viruses, bacteria, poisons, even radiation, moon light!!!! YES! moon light...... and all these things again, have certain vibration. By using a special method of diluting and shaking and diluting and shaking and over and over again, homeopathic remedies are born. They do not have a single molecule of the original matter they have been made from (that's why they are harmless), but they still carry with them the original vibration of that matter. but somehow this vibration is much more subtle and gentler then the original one. And also STRONGER in a certain way.

So then what happens in your body when you take a remedy? This is what I believe happens:
If you take a remedy that matches your symptoms or in other words the vibrations in your body (if you have a disease in your body, it still projects vibrations) what is going to happen next? I like to use this example. Imagine an empty room with two violins in it. Each in opposite corner. They are both tuned precisely into the same tune. If you play a note on one violin the other violin will start vibrating – playing the exact same note. And after while they both stop.
So if you take a remedy it will start vibrating into your body (again, in a very specific length) and if you body contains the same vibrations it will find it. Then it will make it vibrate even more – thus the aggravation/worsening at first – and then it will stop – it will eventually cancel each other out, destroying the cause of your problems. And the higher the dilution is the more powerful the vibrations are, and the deeper they can get.
If there is anything in your body, your aura, spirit, that has been suppressed (by drugs or by simply denying the problem) or unresolved it will bring it back up and heal it.
It’s like peeling the onion, you start with the most recent events, and heal one after another, peeling the layers, until you get to the very core of the problem and solve it.
It can be a very long process, but it’s definitely worth it!

Does it make sense? What do you think of that?
Old 12-29-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmyn's Mum
To give an example, without getting into details, my pregnancy was very stressful in the beginning. I had morning sickness so badly that I lost 15 pounds in the first trimester (Istarted at 97 lbs). I saw a prenatal homeopath who recommended Ignatia which is the remedy for grieving. I took the remedy twice and had to lock myself in my room for 2 days. I've never cried that hard and that long in my life. I released a lot of "baggage". When my little breakdown was over, I never had morning sickness again.
That's fantastic example!! I am glad you got the help you needed! It makes me so sad to see all those wamen suffer through their first trimesters in the pregnancy forum! I really believe we are NOT ment to be that sick! Sure some sickness is normal, but I hear some horror stories or severe morning sickness and just makes me so sad that I can't help them.
I used Sepia (Sepia seems to fit as my constitutional remedy) with this pregnancy and I was rarely feeling sick at all. Or tired in that matter.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:30 PM

Bach Flower Remedies ~ are basicly energy/vibrational remedies as well, they just use a different way of making them. Not very familiar with the whole process. It only comes in one dilution, unlike homeopathic remedies. But they work on the same principles I think. Just like any other flower therapies. Like these for example: http://www.livingfloweressences.com/
I tried one from this website and I had severe reaction / healing crisis from it. But it was so bad, I felt into deep deep depression and was very sick so I had to stop taking it.
This is what i found about flower remedies on the above website:

Quote:
In the 1930's, Dr. Edward Bach, a homeopathic practitioner, spent many hours wandering the meadows near his home in England. After discovering that certain flowers seemed to have an effect on him, he began sipping the dew that collected in the petals and leaves.

The results were amazing! Bach found that the dew from each plant held a distinct power. He even discovered that just holding his hand over a particular flower would help him in some way -- not because of its chemical composition, but because of its vibrations and spiritual cleansing power.

Bach believed that emotions like anger, hate, and fear wear down the immune system, leading to physical breakdown and stress, pain, and illness. Flowers have an energy which can balance human discord, re-establishing the link between body and soul, nature and spirit. He based his remedies on the theory that you treat the patient, not the disease.

To utilize the flower's unique energy pattern, it is picked and placed in a clear glass bowl of purified water. This is called an infusion. The infusion containing the flower's blossoms is set out in direct sunlight, or in some cases, moonlight.

The energy of the light--sun or moon--extracts the energy of the blossom into the water and creates a life force pattern which reflects the character of that flower. The energy pattern is stored within the flower essence and can be used for physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual healing.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:30 PM

my 2 kids both responded beautifully to homeopathy, and with my dd, it was an emotional issue that she responded to that was manifesting itself physically but the homeopathy worked! we have also used bach rescue remedy which also worked really well!

:

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 12-29-2005, 08:07 PM

Yan-yang - I absolutely love the violin image. That totally works for me!

A major remedy in the past for me was Nat Mur. It helped me heal from an abusive relationship and MOVE ON - yeah... I moved to China!

Carcinocinum is waiting for me at the pharmacist, and I am really hopeful about getting some good movement from this one, too.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:09 PM

oh and i LOVE ignatia! i use it in lgr doses for acute symptoms of sleeplessness due to thinking too much. dh uses it too and it works like a charm. i haven't used that one as a constitutional though.

User Tag List