wiccan's: moving with a broom - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-30-2005, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not pagan nor wiccan, but my family is from Louisiana, where people are very superstitious. The rule is you never move with your brooms. Brooms get left at the old place. My family will be moving in a few months and I really want to take the brooms I made for my children with us. In looking at wiccan sites on moving houses, they say cleanse the house with new brooms. It makes sense since you cleanse with brooms. How can you cleanse with something unclean? But is there any way I can cleanse the children's broom with a new broom so that I could take them with us? Or, what if I gathered up new Scot's broom, cut off the old broom material from their brooms, and took the sticks I carved along with the new material to replace the old material that I left in the compost here? Would that be enough to make their brooms be considered new? Or should I still do some kind of purification with sage or something on the sticks? I don't know that I'll be able to find Scot's broom in our new location, so I really want to bring a supply of it from here. If I don't ring it in the house, would that be okay? Or will it be okay as long as I don't make a broom out of it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. - Tiff in France

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#2 of 11 Old 12-30-2005, 10:42 PM

You could just swap and keep the handles that you have now, that would work. I'd just rub some cleansing oil on it and leave it out in the sun for a bunch of hours and maybe even let it sit under the full moon for a night also to cleanse it. Add a little prayer and your good to go. We had a lot of greek traditions in our family practice and we would just tap a broom outside the door three times before bringing it in and that was supposed to be sufficient. If you really want to bring them, I say bring them.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#3 of 11 Old 12-30-2005, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

#4 of 11 Old 12-30-2005, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A regular store bought broom, I'd leave with no problems. But the special handmade brooms I have would go with us no matter what any superstition or teaching said. I'd clean them.

I think the idea of making new broom parts and keeping the special handles makes sense, a nice compromise IMO.

"What will you do once you know?"
#5 of 11 Old 12-31-2005, 02:51 AM

If you want to move an old broom to a new house, bring it into the house through a window rather than a door. It cancels out the bad luck.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#6 of 11 Old 12-31-2005, 05:10 AM

Quote:
If you want to move an old broom to a new house, bring it into the house through a window rather than a door. It cancels out the bad luck.

If we ever move, I'll have to remember that. I have a broom that if brooms could fly, she would be The perfect ride! No way would she ever be left behind if we moved.

#7 of 11 Old 12-31-2005, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

OK then. My brooms will sit outside for 3 nights under the full moon, then we'll tap them 3 times before bringing them in through a window. Or, that is, if we have a window. Our new home is a yurt and currently doesn't have a window. But we're building it, so it may eventually. If it doesn't, I'll bring it in through the lattice, before we put on the covers.

#8 of 11 Old 12-31-2005, 05:00 PM

Maybe you could bring it in through the space between the walls and roof?

#9 of 11 Old 12-31-2005, 05:43 PM

Sounds like you'll be covered. I doubt that the Lord and Lady really expect us to strss this hard over such things (I forgot you're not pagan, but you get what I'm saying I'm sure). You're doing your best and it sounds like it will be more than fine. I had completly forgotten about the window thing, thanks Rhiannon.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#10 of 11 Old 07-05-2006, 04:52 AM

I just leave mine.
#11 of 11 Old 07-05-2006, 07:14 PM

As I understand it, the point is to not bring dirt (i.e. problems) from your old house to your new one. So if it's a special broom, I would clean it, physically and energetically (such as putting it out in moonlight and/or sunlight), maybe sweep the dew off the grass with it,too... and take it along. Maybe say an affirmation about leaving old troubles behind, but bringing your magic with you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page