Fundamentalist Christian Homeschooler Qu? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-29-2003, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I wanted to ask a question of those who consider themselves to be fundamentalist Christian homeschoolers. I just talked to a friend of mine who is also a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka LDS or Mormon) and she is trying to homeschool her 9 year old daughter. She has recently started and is looking for some Christian homeschooling groups in our area (northern VA). As soon as she tells them that she is LDS they very bluntly tell her they don't want her to be a part of their group or even when having conversations with another Mom who is part of her daughter's homeschool gymnastics group, as soon as the lady asked her what faith she was when she said LDS the lady got up and left. Another of her friends who is also Mormon and who homeschools applied to get her daughter into a Christian school around here and was denied b/c they are Mormon (specifically told so).

This is a friend I should say also that is extremely friendly and kind and I can't imagine anyone not liking her.

She is really baffled and so am I, can anyone tell me why they think that there is such a prejudice against Mormons in fundamentalist Christian homeschool groups? I should just reiterate that this is a very sincere question and I hopefully will get some sincere answers to help my friend and myself understand.
#2 of 14 Old 01-29-2003, 06:11 PM
Banned

Certain Mormon beliefs are contrary to orthodox Christian.

I simply cannot fathom discriminating against this woman, however, it makes no sense.

I know LDS people in real life and have found them to be dear kind people, worthy of my friendship.

There are so many differences amongst Christians people could constantly be at one another's throats.

People need to get a grip.

Debra Baker
#3 of 14 Old 01-29-2003, 06:33 PM

Some fundamentalist christians do not consider Mormons to be christian at all but rather a cult. There are books that have been written about this, that's why I mention it here. Which means if she's running into those kind of people in Va., then it doesn't surprise me that they are running the other way as soon as she mentions "LDS" because they hear "cult".
#4 of 14 Old 01-29-2003, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so far for the replies. Can I ask another question then? I think from my experience with my extended family, who are so. Baptist, that occasionally preachers preach against Mormons from the pulpit. Do you think this may be the case here? If so, what kinds of things are being said if anyone has any experience with this?
#5 of 14 Old 01-29-2003, 10:19 PM

I can understand a little of what your friend is going through. You see my secular group has quite a few LDS because they were turned away from the Christian support groups. HSLDA doesn't like them either her membership was revoked when they found out

and yes I have been in an independent Baptist church where Mormons ( and other Christian faiths ) were heavily preached against and the congregation was told that to even speak to them would doom you to hell

Sorry I still talk to my cousins

This probably didn't help much but wanted to let you know that her experience is not uncommon. She might want to try to find a secular or even Pagan group to join. Around here the LDS and Pagans are supportive of each other due to the predjudice they both encounter...
#6 of 14 Old 01-30-2003, 02:16 PM

I have found that a lot of "Christian homeschool groups" are very isolationists. They only want like minded families involved with the group, so that they feel confident about who their children are hanging out with. I don't agree with this but they have the right to run thier groups the way they want to. So much for Christian evangelism!

peace,
b
#7 of 14 Old 01-30-2003, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for both your replies. That's good you still talk to your cousins , I'm glad mine still talk to me. hee hee

It's funny to me, it sounds like if they're that close minded that she really should seek out other groups anyway and perhaps this was the most efficient way to find out.

What is the HSLDA by the way? I'm not familiar with that, maybe she is.

It just seem that the things that we do have in common are much more than what is different. Correct me if i'm wrong, we both believe in prayer, raising our children with a strong moral upbringing (ie no lying, stealing, no premarital sex, the ten commandments)--not to say that others who aren't religious don't have the same values as well, that Heavenly Father is our God and that we believe we return to Him through His son Jesus Christ. We read and believe in the Bible.

It just seems so very unchristian to me to be so automatically prejudice and unwelcoming of another person whether you believe them to be Christian or not. I guess that's what we both have the hardest time with, ya know?

One last question then for you, how did you go about finding your homeschooling groups that were Pagan or secular?
#8 of 14 Old 01-30-2003, 05:11 PM

at vegsource who lives in the metroplex area
she can also do a google search for it with her area
#9 of 14 Old 01-31-2003, 12:56 PM

I'm not a fundamentalist homeschooler either, but I wanted to add to this thread.
When I worked at a Catholic bookstore, they had a video there that was about Mormons and it said some pretty strange stuff about that religion. I'm sure most of it was a misunderstanding, or misconceptions- it talked about the whole, "pregnant for an eternity constantly giving birth to children who will populate the husband's planet" thing. Which I've heard is totally untrue.
I don't know any Mormons personally, but I've seen a few posts on message boards, and I know that person said this was not really what they believed.
I think that happens with a lot of faiths that are a little mysterious. If they don't know for sure what's going on, they may make something up. But, like I said, I only know what I saw on that video...

Marcy
#10 of 14 Old 02-02-2003, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I printed off the psots for my friend to read today. I think it will be helpful for her to find some non-fund. groups to join if there hopefully are any. She honestly is the kindest most open, non-judgmental person i've ever known which is why it's so hard to see her being shunned by others.

I feel like most/all the people I've run into on this particular board would never do that to another person so it's hard to get an answer from those who do but thanks for the contributions.

And yes, obviously there are a lot of falsehoods/lies that others tell or even publish or put into video about our religion unforunately. That always baffles me. I remember my dh taking a world religion class at B.Y.U. which talked about other religions and everything was accurate and taken from those religions. I can never understand a)why people trust any information unless it comes from the source and b)why others feel so threatened by another religion. I believe there to be truth in all religions and there's a lot to learn from each other. We believe all people to have the "light of Christ" and there's so much that I've learned from others who are not of the same faith. I hope my friend can find those people out there.

Peace
#11 of 14 Old 02-03-2003, 12:56 AM

I am not a Fundamentalist Christian but I have studied LDS teachings in depth and I do not consider LDS to be an Orthodox Christian religion. Sorry, but many of the teaching of LDS are in direct conflict with orthodox (core) Christianity. Many other Christians and some Mormans feel this way also.

While I do not think that your friend should have been treated badly, I also do not feel that LDS members belong in a "Christian only group." There is far more that separates LDS teachings and Christian teachings than unites them.

Don't want to get into arguing over all the details - there are some good books out there on the subject. Also, I have a few LDS friends and we do have common goals/values in regards to raising our children, but our views on the Bible, God, and Jesus are miles apart.

Sorry if I offended you but wanted to let you know another perspective.

With respect,
Susan
#12 of 14 Old 02-03-2003, 01:55 AM

HSLDA is the acronym for the Homeschool Legal Defense Association and I know a LDS family locally that belongs to this group with no problem. HSLDA is a Christian organization and makes no pretenses to be anything but that. They have their own agenda and controversy but our family has benefited a great deal from our membership with them over the years.
I have found that as a Catholic homeschool family we are not comfy moving in some Christian fund hs groups mainly because the other moms kept trying to convert and save us which is maybe what your friend experienced.
Why does your friend even want to be in a Christian homeschooling group? I'll come back and edit in some links to hs groups in her area that are not Christian for you.
Mary

mom to ds14, ds9, ds5, & dd 3yrs all hsed

http://www.lds.npl.com/link/?994102060
this is a great point for her to get started networking

http://www.homeschoolmedia.net/regis...ml?locale=4877 hs social register for V has some links to support groups scroll down to bottom of page

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VA_LDS_Home_Educators/
VA LDS small egroup for hsers

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SaintsandScholars and http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Gifted-LDS-hs.
here are two other LDS yahoo groups for gifted or classical curriculum users
LDS Home Learners - Latter Day Saints homeschoolers.
- To subscribe to the LDSLearn mailing list, send a blank message to
(ldslearn-subscribe@egroups.com) or go to http://www.egroups.com/list/ldslearn
For assistance, contact (bells@rmci.net).

skteague@juno.com is Kari, she is 27, an LDS mom hsing w/3 kids and has posted on my hs penpal board

Virginia

LDS Home Educating Support Group
City/Area: Springfield (Northern Virginia near Washington D.C.)
Phone: 703-569-1005
Email: lowfog@earthlink.net

City/Area: Richmond area
Phone:
Email: nospam-laurierichardson@aol.com
#13 of 14 Old 02-03-2003, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

That's awesome Vanna'smom! Thanks for all those links. I think she wanted to be in a Christian homeschool group b/c we very much consider ourselves to be Christians despite what some other Christian groups may consider. I don't really want to get into a doctrinal debate here, we had a really good discussion on some in depth LDS theology on another thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...highlight=LDS. We definitely do have differences but we consider Christ to be the foundation of our religion and everything that we consider to be scripture points toward Him.

Thanks again for those links, that will be soo helpful to her i'm sure.
#14 of 14 Old 02-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Banned

In my former life as a fundie baptist I left a church when it was anounced that the Wed topic of the month was "why the LDS is a cult and they are not christians"

Now as a Gnostic Christain Witch who home schools I know a little of what your frined is going through. I have join an enclusive group that prohibits any religous descussion because I know I would stick out like a sore thumb in a Christain group. My favoirte group however is an earth centered spirituality group that is enclusive. We have wonderful discussions about religious beliefs, and while few of us are walking the same paths, we respect the beliefs of everyone in the group

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page