happy chinese new year! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-31-2003, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tomorrow is chinese new year.

The new year connects to the new moon which of course is also tomorrow. I would love to make a small suggestion for those who feel inclined. I have a thread on here called 'feng shui'. If you have been thinking about it, now would be the time to take a look at your house from a feng shui perspective. you don't need a practitioner... if you've never done it before I would recommend the following book....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...411383-3940618

it is easy and no nonesense... but anyway, this would be the weekend to jump start stuff. clean out the clutter, get rid of things that are broken, take things to goodwill, go through everythign...what if you have a broken down, cat scratched up chair in your relationship section of your house....you dont' need me to do the mathwork as to how that could be impacting your relationship.... or what if you have a broken down toilet that is always running and that bathroom is in your 'abundance' section..... money just going through you like water.? .... anyway, this would be the perfect weekend to launch. Most of the country is freezing anyway, if you are indoors you might as well, take a look at your house with some new eyes....
by the way, you probably could find the book at your local bookstore so you don't have to wait until amazon gets it to you....but if you do order from amazon, in the meantime clear out the clutter, get rid of the broken down things......the book will explain more...

happy new year...

by the way, it is the year of the sheep/goat. There is a very old joke..... it goes somethign like this, "happy chinese new year, it is the year of the goat...but I'm still writing year of the horse on all my checks"..... rim shot.

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-01-2003, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gung hay fat choy!!

gung hay fat choy
#3 of 10 Old 02-02-2003, 01:25 AM

gong xi, gong xi!

congratulations, congratulations!

blythe, in taiwan
#4 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 02:28 AM

At the suggestion of my 5yo DD, we went to Chinatown (in Philly) today! We watched the Dragon ad the firecrackers ward away evil...it was great!
#5 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 12:18 PM

We are members of our local Chinese Community Center, where dd and dh are both in the kindergarten Mandarin class, and dd takes Chinese folk dance lessons. The Center has a killer Chinese New Year party every year, with dinner first and then about three hours of entertainment afterward. Both dd and dh participated in the entertainment this year. I was so proud of them both! Dd (who is five) was very apprehensive about performing with her dance class, but she did it and said afterward that she loved it. And dh was in a skit. Not to brag, but they were both so cute!

Now if I could just get them to participate in the tradition of cleaning the house from top to bottom before CNY!
#6 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 01:22 PM

EFmom--

Are you and dh of Chinese descent, or just doing it for fun/cultural eduction?

Myself and dd, we went to Joyce Chens' groc store, got a scroll, lucky money envelopes and some White Rabbit candy.

Yesterday, I cleaned my bathroom! Works for both CNY and Imbolc! Cleaing house top to bottom--not in my job description, no matter the holiday!
#7 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i spent the last three days cleaning the house before cny. I live in an area with many koreans and you should see the trash cans in the alley! Overflowing with stuff. broken chairs, boxes, trash everywhere. We were all cleaning for the holiday!

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#8 of 10 Old 02-03-2003, 02:33 PM

DaryLLL, my two children were adopted from China, dh and I are not of Chinese descent, although we consider that we are now a Chinese-American family (along with the other stuff thrown in). We celebrate the holidays and incorporate Chinese culture as much as we can. My younger daughter is only two--too young for Chinese school yet, so she and I can't take classes yet. But in a few years, I'll be in Mandarin kindergarten, too!
#9 of 10 Old 02-04-2003, 01:26 PM

EFmom, what a blessing it is to your children that you not only expose them to their heritiage, but have adopted their culture as part of your own as well. They are lucky children to have such parents!

-b
#10 of 10 Old 02-04-2003, 09:55 PM

T barbara, awww shucks . Thank you! We think we are the lucky ones, though, having been given the gift of our incredible girls. When we first started looking into international adoption, I found the idea of exposing our children to Chinese culture to be intimidating, but it's actually been great fun. We've met fabulous new people, learned a lot, we get to celebrate more holidays, and have been stretched in a good way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page