Treasure Map 2006 - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 594 Old 04-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should we post pictures, or is that a no-no?

db
#362 of 594 Old 04-01-2006, 04:52 PM

GUESSS WHAT??

I DID IT!!!

Another treasure map and this one is IT! I am so happy that I was able to create a map that I connected with. It is beautiful and really conveys my desires.
#363 of 594 Old 04-01-2006, 05:14 PM

I finished mine lastnight. It was a lot of fun! I have magazines, scraps, and other materials spread all over the house. The kids did theirs too...they decided to put pictures of things they liked on theirs. They didn't really get it about wanting....but they had a blast and made their maps just how they felt compelled to. I like me map as well. It is a collage of pictures and words. I didn't put it into the squares or anything but sort of put related things next to each other. I included a photo of each member of my family (me, dh, and our 2 kids).

Thanks so much for sharing this exercise with me!!
#364 of 594 Old 04-01-2006, 05:37 PM

well, after a little bit of a rocky start, mine is done, too! this was a great exercise in positive thinking! i still have to add the grommets, but i did end up doing the 9 12" squares and watercoloring each one. I can't wait to hang it up!

i'd love to see what others did and would be willing to share mine if i can find a dig. camera to borrow!

celeste terra, single wohm to twin toddler boys max and shoghi. bamboo village press
#365 of 594 Old 04-01-2006, 05:43 PM

I've done mine but it doesn't feel *finished* I can't tell exactly what is missing... it's just a feeling... I was still looking thru magazines, hoping to find pictures that would talk to me but nothing...

Well... looking at it, I can tell that the pictures/affirmations that are *missing* would be in a) relation, b) family, c) learning and d) spirituality...

I'm so tired and I had a hard time finding time to work on this project: baby is very demanding and cried a lot while I did it (even in the sling, even after being fed, even with DS and/or DH...)

I put my Map on my dresser and will keep it that way to see if it feels better after a few days but I'm wondering if I'll can work on it later if it still feels unfinished?

Valérie   
#366 of 594 Old 04-01-2006, 05:47 PM

Valerie Tracy will answer, but I thin I remember a time last year where it was auspicious or okay to add stuff.
#367 of 594 Old 04-01-2006, 06:14 PM

Finished mine too....don't know how I feel about it, though I was much more decisive as to what I wanted than last year.

About adding to it...scroll back through the last page or so of posts...i think it's about 2 weeks to add something.
#368 of 594 Old 04-01-2006, 07:57 PM

Well, I did get an idea, and stayed determined to do somethingthrough waves of hopelessness and despair. It's very non-traditional,and not a map so much....but it's what I managed to get done. We'll see what happens.... It felt important to do SOMETHING even if it didn't really fit the parameters. I'm not sure why it was so hard this year, but I'll think on that.

a special thanks to everyone who wrote of their struggles around making the maps. in my difficult moments, it was good to read your posts and know i wasn't alone.
#369 of 594 Old 04-01-2006, 08:51 PM

Alright, I pushed through and managed to do *something*... it doesn't feel done, and I know I didn't even really start on time, but I'm figuring that something is better than nothing and I will add to it over the next couple days if I find anything that feels *right*. I tried to stick with the feng shui stuff, but I couldn't fit everything on the page in the right places that way... so I went with felt felt right *to me* instead.
#370 of 594 Old 04-01-2006, 09:47 PM

Amy, I think that's the thing to do... go with how you feel about it. Aries is about you, the individual, not about rules or a specific structure.
#371 of 594 Old 04-01-2006, 09:58 PM

I've been following this thread with interest since Tracy pointed it out on TAO. But I've had so little free time these last couple weeks that I was just fortunate to be able to complete it. This was my first treasure map attempt and I thought I'd finally share my experience.

I had not planned to buy any new mags, as our $$ are tight for the next month. But on the first day of mapping, I was in a store grabbing a couple things for lunch and Outside magazine caught my eye. So I bought it. I've read it before once or twice- maybe in an airport? When I had a quiet moment to look through it, immediately 3 phrases and images jumped out at me, within just the first few pages. I cut them out and made some notes based on Tracy's affirmations on this thread. Then I got a bit overwhelmed, fell asleep with the kids Thurs instead of staying up to work on it. I ended up trying to piece it together friday night. I was frustrated because I wanted the map to be smallish, so I could keep it private but **** look at it regularly. But if I used any of the magazine images-- they were all huge and i didn't know how to fit it all in. I ended up going to powerpoint. I hope that's legal. I used the baguas as a schematic but i didn't outline the 9 boxes- just used them to guide the regions of the slide. Every region has an affirmation and at least one picture. I used google image a lot. I did keep the wording and the spirit of the 3 magazine ads-- jsut using comparable digital images.

It's interesting to me how half of my map has sort of quiet, peaceful images-- a beautiful peaceful home- i used an image of Pemberley from the BBC pride and prejudice, an illuminated journal ( self knowledge), an image of the virgin mary looking over the names of family members (helpmates and angels), in work- i found a lovely painting of a woman working in my field- she looks perfectly focused and immersed. Then in the other half, there is all kinds of action! Running (health) and hammering down walls (relationships) and leaping (success)-- actually 3 different images of people leaping! I'm not sure what this will mean but it's really interesting.

Question for experienced mappers: How often do you refer to your map? Daily, weekly or just put it away for a while? I want to look at my affirmations often (maybe make it part of my desktop?) but is it like "a watched pot never boils?"

Big thank you to Tracy for this neat exercise
#372 of 594 Old 04-01-2006, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
wow.

hugs to all those beautiful thanks.

Everyone's maps sound so beautiful. And I gotta agree with everyone that there were some bumps during this new moon but I'm so glad I hung in there with my own map...and really glad all of you rallied.

as for people who want to tweak their map...you can tweak it... I would just offer up that you try to tweak it on either 1/4 moon or full moon. But truly think of it as a tweak....

Just know the wheels are in motion now....hurray to all!

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#373 of 594 Old 04-02-2006, 12:02 AM

In spite of being really busy, I got mine finished with time to spare. Thanks, Tracy. You're the best.
#374 of 594 Old 04-02-2006, 01:07 AM

Another big thanks to Tracy for all of your guidance!

Mine was... a real excercise. Last night dh & I sat down, our dd was w/MIL so we had time to focus. I found it so hard and all of my fears kept coming out in everything I saw. I was so afraid that I would put something out there that would be willing myself into illness/death. It was crazy, I was second-guessing everything so I decided to draw some of my own things w/appropriate colors & the affirmation for my pituitary. I ended up putting symbolism that I thought would mean mind/body/soul & after doing a little research it turned out to also signify "birth/life/death" ACK! I was fretting so much last night, and in such bad head space... I was trying to push myself along and not doing well. We had to call it quits & I was feeling bad about the whole thing for this year.

I woke up this morning, IMed a friend who was doing the TM, too... she had similar difficulties & she said we should go hunting for our treasures... oh yeah!! that's right! I got so caught up in formalities & had forgotten to uncover my treasures (thanks, Celeste!! ). I had about 2 hours and I started looking at what I had cut out and doors really started opening up. Some great things came to me & finished it about 5 minutes after the cut-off. And I'm pretty happy w/it! I think I'll have a little bit o'tweaking to do... but I really like it. And dh likes his, too... we're painting a bookcase that's been in need of finishing to set our maps on & all of the books/things we'll need for reference for the coming year!

Many Blessings!! Kelly
#375 of 594 Old 04-02-2006, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Well, I am not sure what happened this year.

I got as far as looking through magazines, and that was it.

Map, not started, not finished. Part of me is bummed, and feels like bad things will happen (yes, I latch on to irrational superstition) and the other part of me just wasn't feeling the map this year. I wonder if it is perhaps the resolving of some of last year's stuff (i.e. birthing the baby, and finishing our move today) that meant I just wasn't ready to take on new things?

I dunno, Tracy, I usually love this, and am the hugest cheerleader for this project...why so unmotivated you think?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#376 of 594 Old 04-02-2006, 11:08 AM

Tracy, can you believe it? I actually managed to get mine glued down before the end of the New Moon energy today (or nearly so: I'm never clear about the timezone thing, since, until today, Indiana never changed its clocks)! Finishing on time for the first time in these four years, I think! (Or maybe the second, but I know I didn't finish on time last year or the year before.)

(I think the kicker for me to get me out of my funk was hearing a bit of an Alan Watts mp3 -- you could hear it too, for free, at http://store.yahoo.com/soundstruestore/aw00964d.html -- about how we tend to think of things "happening to us" rather than thinking that we create everything.)

I should say that I know I'm gonna still work on the Fame section, though at the quarter and/or full moon. Somehow that part just didn't quite ring true for me. And maybe revise the affirmation in the Career/work section, too, since they're tied together in my mind/life.

I didn't put the cash on it this time after all (which is good because I really ought to put it toward some majorly overdue eyeglasses!), but picked up Jim Carrey's idea about a check written to myself (thanks to whoever posted that idea!). I put "Congratulations!" in the memo part and, since I dated it for April 15, 2007, I made the amount pretty wild, certainly wayyyy beyond any kind of "mad money" I've ever spent in the past, but nothing absolutely outrageous ... not Carrey's million. And it's a green-colored check, too, which is a nice spot to draw my eye and my attention as I look at it.

This year, in addition to the photos (some of which I still am not clear on exactly why I picked them, but felt compelled to do so and will probably understand this time next year), I sort of stole Tracy's idea of affirmations on orange paper -- but they're snippets placed appropriately over or around photos in each part of the bagua. So it's pretty darned orange ... but lots of other beautiful colors from the photos, too.

Thanks again, Tracy, for organizing all of this and encouraging us to go for it, to think BIG, and to give up any idea that we don't all deserve everything we want in this universe. You are a gift to all of us, you are: you deserve to be on all of our "Angels and helping friends" portions of our maps!
#377 of 594 Old 04-02-2006, 11:14 AM

Wow! I placed my map so that I would see it as soon as I get out of bed. Well, I woke up this morning and when I saw it I was filled with this incredible sense of how lucky I am and how amazing this year is going to be. I felt like I had openned my eyes and looked at my life looking back at me. I am so inspired!
#378 of 594 Old 04-02-2006, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

adinaL,
keep your snippets. and come back to the map on first quarter moon and full. You can finish it then.

my guess, if I can be so bold...your baby who you waited so long to get pregnant is due shortly...and I am wondering if you were like me... I just want baby to be healthy, I just want baby to be healthy, I just want baby to be healthy was so much in my brain that it made it hard to want anything more, maybe?

anyway, see if you feel better about map on 1/4 and or full. you can finish it then. and if not...you can switch to an orange paper and write some affirmations. just a thought.

#379 of 594 Old 04-02-2006, 01:09 PM

I was totally without inspiration and then I found this . It filled me with direction.

I know virtually nothing about feng shui. Can anyone tell me about this turtle?

Thanks!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#380 of 594 Old 04-02-2006, 01:18 PM

This may sound a little crazy, but I feel almost intimidated by the map I created. I've never asked for so much for myself before & I'm finding it exciting & scary at the same time.

Tracy, and any other experienced mappers out there, is this a common feeling?
#381 of 594 Old 04-02-2006, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

bu's mama...

ah, perfect. I think a little fear is okay.... I learned along time ago that if you were to describe fear....and then if you were to describe excitement. It is pretty much the same verbs..... just the perception is what is different. My guess is your fear will turn to excitement soon enough for you.

I've got a feeling your map is totally on the mark!

#382 of 594 Old 04-02-2006, 10:16 PM

Well, I didn't get a chance to make a map at all this year-- I was busy having a brand new baby girl. She actually waited until we got our van back to initiate actual labor... in fact, it was just as Mike was putting the back seat in so that we could rearrange the carseats that I became certain that I was in labor and not just having the same old contractions as before, so I suppose she picked a decent time to come all things considered.

That said, I was a bit bummed when I realized I wouldn't be able to make a map... I felt very cluttered and kept trying to clear things away from me, but it just didn't work out that way. I did, however, flip through a brand new Tarot deck which I felt strongly compelled to buy a few days earlier, but when I tried to open it it literally flew out of my hands and hid from me in the rental. I looked and looked and promised myself that I wouldn't open it, but I could only find the empty box until the 28th, when we got our van back and had to empty the rental; then I opened the passenger door and it was *right there*. So I stuck it in the van, and I had it when we got to the hospital to have little Bella.

When the time came, I opened the deck and looked at each card individually. Then I shuffled the deck, but fell asleep before I could do anything else. I woke up to pump and shuffled again, but didn't look at the cards... finally I ended up drawing a single card. I pondered it for a while, but I'm not really sure what to make of it... It was The Devil, and I drew it upside down. I don't know if it was speaking to my state of mind or what, but it was interesting and I'm still thinking about it, it's kind of percolating in the back of my head.

At any rate, back on the subject: If we didn't get to make a map this year, but still want to do it and feel called to make major changes, when would be a good time to start such a project? Or do I have to wait until next year?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#383 of 594 Old 04-03-2006, 02:03 AM

Please- anyone have any insight on this turtle: http://www.fengshui-center.ch/IMAGES/Lo%20Shu.gif ?

I'm sure I didn't follow the rules, but it really seemed like I had to forge my own path. I feel really good about what I did.

#384 of 594 Old 04-03-2006, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

salvia,
i don't know anything about the turtle..but your map looks wonderful. My feeling is the turtle called to you and that is all that is important. It is great.

#385 of 594 Old 04-03-2006, 11:41 AM

The turtle is a symbol of peace, maybe it's related to feng shui by bringing peace to your home?
#386 of 594 Old 04-03-2006, 12:21 PM

Thank you!

#387 of 594 Old 04-03-2006, 01:11 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with us. I learned a lot about just following your heart/mind/gut and letting the creative energy flow.

I really liked hearing about the map that turned out to be a book- what a wonerful idea! And very cool to have such confidence in your creativity to just let the map take form in it's own way.

I wasn't aware that the phrases should include specific pronouns... Most of my phrases are just general affirmations of what I want to happen. IE: "lessons in motherhood", "awakening", "perfectly behaved kids", etc. So I will pencil in some "I"s where I can fit them, and next year I'll 'knwo better'.

We're all done!!! Now we can enjoy the fruits of our labors as the maps lead us to our treasures!

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

#388 of 594 Old 04-03-2006, 01:21 PM

I had so much fun putting my treasure map together! 2 of my friends came over on Saturday and we worked on them, getting them pretty much finished in the afternoon. I feel so hopeful about everything now. And I think the mapping gave me an opportunity to focus on my goals in a real positive way.
I am so glad I found this thread!

Thank you Tracy for putting this together and all the wonderful advice and feedback. It has been very informative and eye opening.
#389 of 594 Old 04-03-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia
Please- anyone have any insight on this turtle: http://www.fengshui-center.ch/IMAGES/Lo%20Shu.gif ?

I'm sure I didn't follow the rules, but it really seemed like I had to forge my own path. I feel really good about what I did.
I love it!

Here's what I found about turtles:

"The Feng Shui Money Turtle The Shell of the turtle is said to have the markings of heaven and earth upon it. In Chinese mythology the Turtle was said to have risen from the depths with the markings of the eight trigrams on its back, these are used in the I Ching and the Bagwa. The Turtle symbolizes wealth, longevity, strength and endurance."

I finally got mine done, though a few hrs late. It feels good to me, but I think I should have focused on the specific areas. I've definitely neglected wealth and fame. Home and family are huge as are the need to create community, get into nature, be craetive, and follow my spiritual practice of buddhist medittion. I guess I trust that if I take care of those the wealth and fame will take care of themselves. You can see mine on my blog.

Thanks so much for inspiring this. What was really great was doing it alongside Dh doing his. I swear it was the first sat evening we spent together NOT watching TV and engaging in something creative in 2 years. That in itself is a good sign.
#390 of 594 Old 04-03-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia

The turtle on your map reminds me of the hawaiian sea turtle (honu) which symbolizes longevity, peace and the spirit within.

I turtles!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page