Treasure Map 2006 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 594 Old 03-03-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Edited to add: Please try to read this whole thread....there are a lot of questions and answers that come up...which will be helpful!)

Before I put up this thread...I always wait to get some PM's..since I'm never sure who is interested or not, each year. A message came in..and so.....

Treasure Mapping begins...March 29. 5:15am EST. (4:15am CST) (3:15 MST) (2:15AM PST).

For those who don't know... the treasure map is when you take a bunch of pictures, drawing, photos, colors.. and make a collage on a poster board OF ALL the things you want in your life for the next year.

Astrologically it lines up with the Aries New Moon (Not the first day of spring by the way...). You have about 4 days to make the map. DON'T START IT BEFORE!!! It is made after the new aries moon begins. Which by the way, this year is so early in the morning.

this is a period where you allow yourself to dream, dream big, allow your self to want things.. write them down, put up a poem, put up a photo, put up that which sets up your ideal experiences for this new year.

here is the link to 2005's Treasure Map thread.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...light=treasure

Good luck!

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#2 of 594 Old 03-03-2006, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i've been waiting for the treasure map date to be posted! this will be my third year- i'm definitely a believer. Thanks Tracy!
#3 of 594 Old 03-03-2006, 09:37 PM

Thank you, Tracy! I was hoping you'd do this again in 2006.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#4 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 12:10 AM

I am wanting to do this again. Where do you put it when we have finished making them? I think the reason mine didn't go my way was because I put it in the closet, and forgot about it :

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#5 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 12:18 AM

I've got a question-- what if you're in a really bad space and *everything* feels negative, with no hope or sense of possibility about the future at all? Is it still a good idea to do a project like this?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#6 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Rynna!!! Yes!! I was in a bad space last year - convinced that nothing I wanted to put on the map would even come close to occuring in the next year. So I only put like three things on it that were really important to me...getting pregnant, buying a house and knitting. Well, I am pregnant -despite all indications otherwise, and we just closed on our first house.

Sometimes just dreaming and throwing something out there really helps. This will be the third year I have done this and it always feels like housecleaning, and getting some idea of what is really important to me. Just knowing what I really want/need I think makes it easier to get to.

March 29th huh? That's early this year!!! It will be 11 days after we move into our new house, but I will surely get it done before the baby comes!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#7 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 01:17 AM

I am eager to do another map this year, too. :
Which is kind of odd because not much at all of what I put on last year's has come to pass. I do sometimes wonder if I did something "wrong".... or at least if I could've done something better somehow but I put the phrase "it is this or something better" on last year's map, so I can only have faith that what has happened is what I needed.
Mostly I was focused on finding a new home, which hasn't happened yet, though we are now looking... Guess that'll be part of this year's map also.

On the other hand, I did cut out the words "serenity" and "with a toddler" and I've been doing pretty well with that, so I really have nothing to complain about!
#8 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 02:00 AM

I want to participate.

So, we start making our maps on the 29 of March and work on them for the next couple of days??
Please let me know in detail how this works.

Thanks,
Michelle
#9 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

WHAT IS A TREASURE MAP?

A treasure map is a collage made of photos, magazines pictures, words, pieces of things that make sense to you...whatever you want and you put them on a foam core board or just cardboard or just something strong that can handle the collage...you put them all together so you can look at it...it will be a MAP of what you want for the coming year.

what do you mean, "what do I want for the coming year?"
Exactly what it says. Do you want a new house, a new living room, better health, stronger marriage, reconnect with people, a bigger family, a bigger community? do you want to write your book? do you want a new car? what is it you want?
Do you even know what you want? If you are like many of us, you are so busy running around, taking care of everyone else that you might not have a fig of an idea what you want for your new year...that is the beauty of this process...you must sit down and figure it out...give yourself this time to do it. Be just that selfish..and dare to dream.

Why do we do it in the spring and not January?
Treasure Maps are made during the Aries new moon. Aries new moon change from year to year and this year, it will take place on March 29 at 5:15am.
They are made on Aries new moon, because that is the first sign of the zodiac. Aries is when you plant your seeds. It is the real beginning of the new year. It should not be confused with the first day of spring which is usually on March 19 or March 20. New moon means the sun and moon are in the same degree. For those who don't know much about astrology (which is totally okay) Aries is the sign of SIGHT. So, that's why it is so important to have pictures of what you want. YOu need to visualize it. Or if you don't do photos/pictures.. put up words. It is just important for you to SEE THEM.

So, I'm going to be busy on March 29th..can I start it before the 29th?
NO.

Do I have to buy a bunch of magazines, I'm broke, can I just borrow some old ones from friends
Personally, when I started my treasure maps I always did them with fresh new magazines. And in the old days, (not married, no children) I spent a lot of dough on them..only because I wanted lots of choices. But with time, I ended up only getting a few magazines. I never borrowed other magazines from friends..but I know that there were people here who did it in the previous years and I think they were happy with their results. So, it really is your call.

What if I don't want magazine photos, can I just use my own pictures.. like my husband, my baby etc?
Sure. I usually colored xerox them so that I would not wreck my originals.

you can also paint what you want. it really is your call.

Is there any pattern i have to use when i put the photos or the words on my board.
no you can do it anyway you want.
I will say that in previous years I used to use the feng shui baguas for my pattern. basically I would break up the board into 9 areas.

1-abundance
2-fame/reputation
3-relationship
4-family
5-health
6-creativity
7-self knowledge (and travel)
8-work
9-helpful people and angels.

If you use the feng shui baguas, you will naturally cover all most all areas of your life..as you can see it is all represented there.

How much time do I have to build my map?
edited:
You have until Saturday April 1 1:23pm EST (by the way day light savings time takes effect the next day). YOu can certainly take more time if you need it but really you should try to have it done by Saturday the 1st at 1:23pm.

do I have to do it alone or can I do it with friends?
You can do it either way. I used to build them with my 2 other friends. We are like sisters and it felt so right to do it with them. We started them together. I know that there are several MDCers who have little parties where they invite those close to them over. I will say this, it is a lot of fun to do them with others..we would all pass around the magazines.. "Hey, I found a great BMW.. does anyone want a new BMW?" Or it would be, "I have got to lose 10 pounds, any ideas what I should put on my map?" and low and behold someone will come up with a good suggestion.

Do i have to finish it all at one sitting?
no. Often I used to cut my stuff out with my friends. maybe glue a little thing here or there and then take it home and finish it there over the course of a day or two.

Can my kids do it with me?
yes! it is great for them to focus and think about what they want. They also might give you their thoughts about what they think you should have in your life. Helps them to think beyond them, right?

Does it work?
Yep. On my first map, I put a photo of a guy on a boat from like a Ralph Loren ad or something like that. Two months later I met my husband. He sails and comes from a long line of yacht clubbers.
It was so odd for me to put that photo up on my map, but there was just something about the feel and look to the guy on the boat that I just liked.

And there you go....we met..dated, a new map (the following year) had a ring on it... and I think you can do the math..... we've been together 10 years.

okay. I don't want to sound like a spoil sport but I"m just not interested in building a collage, can I do something else?

well, the truth is I now don't actually build maps any more. What I now do is take a nice piece of orange paper and write down my wishes during treasure map time. My wishes are almost like prayers and they are much more broad in my desires. But I will say this, I felt like I needed to switch to 'less is more' after several, several years of mapping. So, I had a lot under my belt. I would encourage new comers to make the actual maps. but if you really don't feel the call. then just write your desires down. I like orange paper. So, vibrant. So aries.

I think that should give you guys a pretty good idea how they work.

I also strongly urge you to look at the old threads..that has a lot of info.

GOOD LUCK!

#10 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 04:41 AM

How cool. I love this idea! I am going to do it.
#11 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 05:15 AM

Thanks Tracy! This should be an interesting one!
#12 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 10:55 AM

I always look forward to Treasure Map time: in fact, I've wandered away from MDC for the past few years, but I always, ALWAYS come back for this, and I've usually got the thread marked to e-mail me, so I peek in from time to time when someone else posts, too.

Looking at last year's map, here's what I'm noticing: there aren't any pictures of people in any areas except the relationship and family section ... and this year has been more focused internally. Although I thought I wanted to do dinner parties and that sort of thing, that hasn't happened. (Maybe this year I'll put a few photos of PEOPLE AT A DINNER TABLE and see if that helps!) The other thing is that I had several "headlines" which seem to mostly be working: Healthy Family, Serenity, Laughter. And I was starting to want organization in my life, as evidenced by the map ... that's starting, but sloooooowly.

This year, and for the next several, I realize I really DO want to focus on having less clutter and even more serenity that comes from organization and cleanliness and the ability for energy to move more freely through my space. I have a strong feeling that this is the beginning of a new seven-year cycle for me (I love watching how those have worked in my life: always easier to see in retrospect than while I'm in them), one in which there's more congruity between the personality I present and the physicality I present. I want to look as beautiful and balanced and present as I feel (and I want to feel more consistently beautiful and balanced and present: it's the best kind of cycle).

So now I'll be spending some time considering how those things might translate into a Treasure Map.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Tracy, for organizing this, as you always do so beautifully! I'm going to copy your instructions again and encourage some of my other online, non-MDC friends to do Treasure Maps, too.
#13 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Banned

Tracy,

I painted mine last year and it's amazing what has transpired over the past year.

I have a couple of questions.

Is it ok to have things continue over to the next year? Long-term, ongoing stuff that has progressed but needs to continue to progress?

Do we share last years, sort of like a celebration?

And wasn't last year's in April?

Debra Baker
#14 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Is it ok to have things continue over to the next year? Long-term, ongoing stuff that has progressed but needs to continue to progress?

Yes. Of course. But with a small caveat. My sense after doing these for years is that when something really takes time and doesn't gel in the first year. My experience is that there is something still not in right yet. It might be something you are aware of...like AdinaL shifted from her map from year one to year two by focusing on less things. Getting pregnant was so important by year two that she decided to forgo some of the things from year one. That kind of energy is really important. What I mean.. is it is NOT important to put up less. It is important for you on the following year's map to go into your gut and say what do I REALLY WANT.

I think that is one of the reasons Adina's took a map and half to get to pregnancy. Also, and I'm sure you guys all know this... a baby comes when the baby wants to come. And I felt in Adina's case the baby did not want to be born in the old house which was in a totally different state. So, even though things look on the outside like they didn't happen...they really are. Kind of like peeling an onion.

So, Debrabaker (who asked the above question) you may need to shift something about your long range goals. My sense is that they need a wee bit refining or broadening. Just a thought. But definitely don't give up on the dream.

I'm really excited is there anything I can do now before Treasure Map to help my map?

Yes, yes, yes.... I said this in previous years and I'll remind everyone now. The period just before the Treasure Map is called the balsamic phase. Which is the end of the moon's phase. This is the phase when we get rid of stuff. Get rid of clutter. Get rid of things that are bugging us. Get rid of ick. Try if you can to clear some space in your life so you can be ready for the treasure map. Remember, Einstein said, "NO TWO THINGS CAN OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE." Read that several times... now ask yourself, do I have space in my house, my family, my time, my life in general for more? If the answer is no. Then start housecleaning!

Clear out the stuff between now and the 29th. Now do you understand why it is important not to start your map before the new time?

by the way, I personally don't buy any of my supplies before the New starts. But I know some of you can't do that..so if you must buy before. PUt it aside and don't touch it until the new. Don't thumb through magazines. Leave it all be.

Okay, I don't know anything about astrology but I understand it is a mercury retrograde, will that impact the map?

Curiously, the mercury retrograde will be over by the time of the new moon. Mercury goes direct on March 25 at 8:36am (PST?--can't remember might be EST) Anyway, my sense is that for the next 2.5 weeks a lot of us are going to be thinking about our maps and think they KNOW what they want on it..but believe me when Mercury goes direct you will have some new thoughts. New ideas.. There almost always is a shift in thinking. And by the way... when the Treasure Map time comes up on March 29th.. you will always have a new vision for your map. I don't care if you lay out your plans in blueprints on the 28th. It will be different on the 29th. The energy is so different it shifts immediately.

#15 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Debrabaker,
last year I believe Aries new moon was in April. This year it is a bit earlier. Every year it changes.
tracy

#16 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

also one other thing that might be interesting about this year's treasure maps.

Have you noticed how the moon is in different spots this year? A bit higher, in an area you never have seen it before?

well...here's the reason. And I think this could make for a very, very good treasure map year!

(It is a repost from one of my other threads..but I think we also need it here)

Quote:
A rare heavenly phenomenon called the Lunar Standstill is about to touch all our lives in a rather wonderful way - all year long.
During a Lunar Standstill, the Moon doesn’t actually stand still - but it seems to. It also reaches dramatic extremes of height and ‘depth’. We’re about to get our highest - and lowest Moons for nearly 20 years. …

The Lunar Standstill is ….like a gentle magical mist that will descend gradually over a period of several weeks and then thicken to the point when we are all lost in a fog of emotional elation... To some extent, we are already under its spell. This will deepen dramatically though, during 2006 - especiallty in the time between May and September. ..

If you’re thinking about moving home, wishing you could make more money, dreaming of a happier love life - or hoping for success with a creative ambition, this is your year.
http://cainer.com/2006/index.html

#17 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Banned

Fewer things, hmmmm, I was following the Feng Shui bagua and thought I needed nine things. If I can properly go with fewer things, that would be great.

I'm right on the cusp of several things, very exciting. I also have major things represented on 2005's map realized. It's really exciting.

Should I start a celebrate 2005's treasures on another thread. I think it would be neat to do that.

Plus, if my dd is back from tour, I may do this with her (but, then again, she's going to be backloaded with work after going on tour.)

db
#18 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Fewer things, hmmmm, I was following the Feng Shui bagua and thought I needed nine things. If I can properly go with fewer things, that would be great.
Maybe. Maybe not. My gut says you have to go in...deep in your gut and YOU'LL KNOW ANY CHANGES YOU NEED TO MAKE. And if your gut says you need 9 areas..please do it. I don't want to say anything to change your gut. I'm just saying it might need refining. Which could still include 9 areas..but just a different take on it. or it could be broadening. Maybe instead of a photo of Hawaii, you put up Luxurious vacation. that kind of broadening..but again..YOU KNOW BEST!!

#19 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Banned

I was feeling good about fewer things. I have some inner workings that will be a challenge to represent visually.

I was thinking about fiveish rather than nineish things.

Debra Baker
#20 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 12:36 PM

I'm still wondering if this is a good idea... maybe I'll feel differently by the 29th, but I just feel like there's more negative energy in my life than I can handle right now and I really, really don't want to do anything that might remotely encourage it to stick around. Thinking happy thoughts has only made things worse, of late.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#21 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 01:59 PM

Thank you, Tracy

I'm here...thinking, thinking, thinking...

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#22 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
As Tracy said - my including less things was not just about including less - but about focusing. I took two pictures off my old map, one of a house, and one of a nursing baby and incorporated them into this year's. As sort of a "hey, this still needs working on!" and as a way to bring some of the energy I built up in the previous year over. I think there might be a couple of pictures I do that with this year as well. My two maps looked stunningly different. I didn't follow the bagua for either one. My first map, was smaller, there was no white space at all, and no words, except the ones I wrote. This year's has a lot of white space, is bigger, has a ton of words, I wrote none, and very specific pictures, all revolving around a couple of themes. Each one felt right for the time I made it. Though the feel of this one still feels coser to correct for me for this year, so we will see what motivates me.

I put stuff on there about having a normal delivery and having a healthy baby....I am kind of hoping that is somethingI can put onto next year's. Not sure I am ready for a baby a month early!!!

rynna - I know that you have been going through some rough stuff lately. Try not to think of this as "thinking happy thoughts" but just opening your mind up to possibilities. The first year I did this, while I was excited to try it, I was super negative, into year 2+ of trying to get pregnant. It took a while to figure out what I wanted on there, and I had a lot of self censoring going on, finding a picture I liked and saying "oh no, that won't happen." It took me until the second day to really start to be able to pull out a picture and say "hey, that would be wonderful, I want that" and stick it on. So, if you can buy a couple magazines on the 29th and thumb through them, and see what you think. I am sorry that everything feels so negative right now. I have been in that space, it is no fun, and it feels like it won't end.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#23 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Banned

I just talked with my daughter and she gets home from tour on the 26th, giving her a bit of time

She's excited to do this and wants to see my treasure map from last year.

Now, I'm looking forward to this.

DB
#24 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 02:09 PM

rynna, I agree with Adina. I think it's a really good idea to still do one and just try to be open and willing.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#25 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

ryanna,

Yes to all the above. I think you might start feeling a little relief when mercury goes direct on the 26th.....

and just to add:

I think a lot of us moms have a hard time expanding our vision for our lives. First of all most of us are in defense/fence mode most of the day..."Don't run in the street. Hold my hand. Come here, I need you close to me." "shoot, we better save our money we are going to need it for ____" ..it is all so 'fence thinking".. for lack of better phrasing... so if you say those things enough or think them enough in a day...to suddenly look out on the horizon and have a big vision can be difficult. I know from what I speak. I promise.

anyway, take the next couple weeks to sort through stuff. you'll get there.

promise.

#26 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 06:26 PM

Thank you Tracy. I look forward to doing the map again this year. Last year a house was on my map, with the words "An absolute steal." We bought our home in August, and while it wasn't quite a "steal" since it needs alot of work, it is still 1/2 of the the median cost of homes in our area.

Secondly, its so funny that the treasure map time is early this year. I actually just threw my map away. I just felt I needed to get rid of it. And I guess that was really my heart talking since the new time is just around the corner.
#27 of 594 Old 03-04-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy
Debrabaker,
last year I believe Aries new moon was in April. This year it is a bit earlier. Every year it changes.
tracy
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! April 8th. My son's bday. I was all scheduled to have my treasure map brunch the next day (saturday, april 9th) but I had to (obviously) cancel.

On a sidenote, but still relevant I think.....

I kept telling my midwife, my DH, & I think even you Tracy that I didn't want me son to be born before the new moon. I had labored for most of the dat, but promptly after the new moon arrived, my water broke & my son arrived just minutes later

A day after we got home, & just hours before the new moon was over, I sent DH out with DD. I made my 2005 Teasure Map with my newborn son sleeping next to me :
#28 of 594 Old 03-06-2006, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcents
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! April 8th. My son's bday.
My Ds was born this day too! He was 18 days late by then- maybe he was just waiting for that date-firey little Aries

I'm very excited about doing a treasure map, and I'm going to tell my womens circle about it tomorrow when we meet- I bet they'll want to do one too. Thank you for this thread Tracy.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#29 of 594 Old 03-06-2006, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy
I'm really excited is there anything I can do now before Treasure Map to help my map?

Yes, yes, yes.... I said this in previous years and I'll remind everyone now. The period just before the Treasure Map is called the balsamic phase. Which is the end of the moon's phase. This is the phase when we get rid of stuff. Get rid of clutter. Get rid of things that are bugging us. Get rid of ick. Try if you can to clear some space in your life so you can be ready for the treasure map. Remember, Einstein said, "NO TWO THINGS CAN OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE." Read that several times... now ask yourself, do I have space in my house, my family, my time, my life in general for more? If the answer is no. Then start housecleaning!

Clear out the stuff between now and the 29th. Now do you understand why it is important not to start your map before the new time?
Thanks for that reminder, Tracy.... I want to do that this year... I think it'll make things work better. Also, since we really want to move, I think I will pack at least one box of things I want to keep but rarely use, to show the Universe I really want to move!

Also, if anybody has good books laying around not being read, I just heard about this fun way to pass them along....http://www.bookcrossing.com/home
#30 of 594 Old 03-06-2006, 02:05 PM

I love decluttering, and I always have such a good time doing it around this period. Yesterday it was the kids clothes, closets and drawers.

Today it was my filing cabinet.

I find I think about what will go into the treasure map when I go through the decluttering excercises. Plus it feel great to purge old crap.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page