Christians? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there Muutherof2. Welcome to the boards! I'm happy you are here.

I was torn about responding to this thread. Yes, I am a Christian, and not ashamed of the gospel.

However, I'll warn you myself that I am one of those fringe members of the faith that others here are cautioning you about.

So - maybe I'm not welcome on threads like this. But OTOH -- if I'm not a "real" Christian than I have no idea what I actually am.

Maybe just a confused Christian!

But anyway, I wanted to shout a welcome out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 04:54 PM

(((((Avonlea))))) hugs to you! It is hard to find ap moms but check out the Gentle mothering link that Nursing Mother gave. There is another one that some of the mamas here started, but I can't think of the link right now. I'll try to get back to you on that.

queenbee, if you don't understand attachment parenting try checking out Dr. Sears' web site: http://www.askdrsears.com/ That should explain it to you and give you some helpful advice on raising your children.

Nursing Mother, I sure do remember Lovesong, Honeytree, Maranatha, Berry McGuire, Dallas Holme, Andre Crouch! And I loved (still do) Keith Green and Phil Keggy. Ah, those were the days! Seems like a simpler time, but then, at the time we thought it was the end times, California was going to fall in the ocean, Jesus would return and we would all be raptured by 1982! Well, it didn't happen but it sure did motivate us to spread the love.

&
-b
#33 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 04:57 PM

(((((mamaduck)))))

I think you are a "real" Christian mamaduck and I'm glad that you help everyone to think outside of the "box"

-b
#34 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello everyone!! Just poppin' in to say hello and God bless!

AP in a nut shell is knowing your baby and responding to his needs rather than following rules that go against his nature in order to fit him into the mold that you set for him. So parenting your baby during the night instead letting him scream himself to sleep. Holding your child and getting to know them instead of leaving them in a swing or bouncy seat all day to veg (not that those things are inherently bad oif course) breastfeeding on cue, sleeping and sleeping with your baby in order to form a deeper connectin with them is also helpful. Mix in a little earth friendly living like eating oganic, natural toys, cloth diapers, intact penisis (and this is biblical, I will get the verses if you need them but I am late fpor a Dr. appointment as it already is ) and mindful parneting (investigate your choices before you make descissions for ex. medicine and vaccines) and you have the whole "Mothering" groove,

In his Love,
Sandra

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#35 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

MarsupialMama, Attachment Parenting. I have heard of it (I think at least) I wasn’t sure what the A and P stood for. Thank you for clearing up my confusion.

Mamaduck, Regardless of your belief, you’re welcome here! Who would we be as Christians if we didn’t accept others for who they are? That’s not to say I agree with pagans, Buddhists, or any other religion then my own (100% Christian!)
But in no way am I going to throw away another person because they’re confused with the truth! My place as a Christian is to spread the good news and others to Christ!
I’m glad to have met you!

Nursing Mother, thank you for that website! From what you say, I think perhaps it would be more ‘my thing’ then Morthering.com. But it seems to me that there Are actually Christians here, as well many confused ones. But isn’t that how God works? Brings us into the dark to shine a light.
#36 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 05:25 PM

I think I can say we welcome you with the love of Christ! Just because we stand firmly in our faith, doesn't mean we don't *love* others. Maybe we can encourage you to be on fire for Jesus! And everyone is at different levels of faith, changing from glory to glory!
#37 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 05:29 PM

lilyka - that is an excellent explanation of AP! Well said, well done!
#38 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

wannabmommie, good word! its just sad how sometimes people will take Christ, pick apart and add what they want...then call themselves Christians! but we are here standing strong in our faith, ready to reassure what a Christian really is!
#39 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 07:10 PM

NursingMother....thanks for the website. I loved it!....I might even join.

I church shopped when i moved to colorado, and finally found a place i love. i really like the pastor, his message, etc. I am really moved when i go, and my spirit is filled. I dont think "shopping" is so bad, i mean, how else can you find a place to call "home"? I am not to involved with members, i dont chit chat after, but i do volunteer in the Nursery every once in a while, because my almost 5 yr old goes to "sunday school" while we worship. other than that, i leave after services.

i lived in south Florida, and the pentecostal, faith based movement was awful, and it was so bad, i didnt go to church for almost 6 years. my goodness, unless you spoke in tongues, and made a blind man see, you were sol! i shiver at the thought.
#40 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Banned

lilyka
THANK YOU for that explanation of what attached parenting is. I was getting the impression that it was purely a pagan thing..but I am Christian, and you described how I raised my children. We were not well thought of when we did not circumcize, nor when we would pick up a crying baby. Why do people think it's a GOOD thing to let a baby cry?? I remember fighting that baby feeding schedule idea...here I was nursing, and everyone was telling me I had to put that baby on a schedule. When the Bible says "Open wide your mouth and I will fill it" I figure God meant that...so when those babies cried, I'd fill them up...like God does for us.

AP carries into the rest of child rearing as well...when we encourage our children to find out who they are by seeing what they are interested in, they have more confidence in themselves.

barbara
I will have to check out that Dr. Sears website...thank you .

NursingMom
thank you ...I will check out that website too.
#41 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Banned

Mamaduck

I think I want to apologize to you. I think I was the one who said something negative - referring to people not being "real" Christians. Please forgive. Who has everything right anyway? We all have so much to learn. I think I'm a real Christian, but to me that simply means wanting to totally receive Christ...and let Him make the needed heart changes. There are some who will call themselves Christian and then demand that you fit into THEIR definition of that term and that is what I meant. God will direct, and hopefully any Christians on this thread will allow Him to do that.

I hope I have made things right.
Bee
#42 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 07:55 PM

#43 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 08:04 PM

Don't worry about it queenbee, sometimes trolls come and try to stir up trouble with the Christians, so we are all a little careful with new members that come on strong.

-b
#44 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 08:45 PM

queenbee -- you and I are okay!
#45 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 10:45 PM

Hello everyone

Just stopping in to say hi, and that I'm a Christian as well.

I don't come to this forum too often, but I see I should drop in more.

I don't think having times of doubt or searching is a bad thing. It's been my experience that during some of the hardest most confusing times of my life, that's when God was really able to teach me.

It's great to connect with mothers who are AP. I don't have anyone near where I live who feels like I do right now, so I loved finding this board. Dh and I are in the process of trying to find a new church as well, but I am at a loss as where to start.

The right doctrine is so important to me, but in the past, at the churches I've attended, it's either good social environment, iffy beliefs or firm beliefs and bad social environment.

Hopefully, things will change, and we will be able to find a church that can meet the needs we have, both spiritually and socially.

Again, hello to all of you.

#46 of 140 Old 02-19-2003, 11:22 PM

Hello Alison, I agree that times of doubt or searching are often the times that we grow the most in our faith and spirituality. God really seems to love a searching heart. I wish you well in your search for a church. It is so hard to find a church where you can fit in and feel like family. Christians come in so many different varities and flavors!

blessings,
-b
#47 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 12:32 AM
Banned

OH Mamaduck, thank you!

Barbara, trolls? oh please? If I could figure out where all those nifty smileys come from I'd post one with crooked eyes scratching his head.

Alison,
I so like your signature line... I would have said it to you about our search for church...ooooh that rhymes.

***The hardest part of love is letting go...but there's a greater love that holds us.***

As we leave what we used to call "church" we are letting go, and He is the greater Love that holds us....and does all that is necessary before re-uniting us to be His Bride.

Nursing Mother,
I went to www.GentleMothering.com ....thank you. I finally understand AP...and it's what I've done all along.... I had no idea.

Bless you moms.
Bee
#48 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Queenbee - smilies are on the right side of your screen when you post a reply. click on the "get more" lik at the bottom of thier box and you can see them all. thenjust click on the smily you want and close the window. it will appear typed out on your reply but then when your post posts it will be a smily (most of the time. miine just haven't been working all that well lately.) here are some of my favs:

Another thing about AP: i like to think about it as loving our children like Christ loves us. I mean think about how he treats you. Does he let you eat when your hungry or does he smite you at the fridge (perhaps a little smiting would be good for my hips ), if you get out of line does he rant rave and strike you, no he gently leads you back where you need to be. does he let you scream and cry or does he come along side you and offer comfort? Thats what gets me about ezzo (if you are not familiar with the whole babywise stuff do a search there is plenty of ranting and raving for a lifetime) crap. Why do people think ignoring and demeaning your child is going to leads them to someone - Christ - who is completely opposite. i digress.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#49 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 03:34 AM

Barbara, thank you for your well wishes on the church search. It is so true, there are so many different kinds of people and personalities in churches. Our current church has no people my age. There are a lot of people in the 3-15 and 60+ age brackets. I'm 28, as is dh, so we are virtually at a stage in life that no one else can relate to there. We need to find someplace where people are our age and who have young children. It should be an interesting year.

Queen Bee, thank you as well. That quote is from a song by Michael W. Smith from his I2Eye album. The song is 'Pray for Me', and it's one of my favorite songs, because the main theme is that as Christians, even if we are seperated physically, God's love does always bind us together.

Have a good night, everyone.
#50 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Another thing about AP: i like to think about it as loving our children like Christ loves us. I mean think about how he treats you. Does he let you eat when your hungry or does he smite you at the fridge (perhaps a little smiting would be good for my hips ), if you get out of line does he rant rave and strike you, no he gently leads you back where you need to be. does he let you scream and cry or does he come along side you and offer comfort? Thats
Yes, Krisday. I think about this too. But I also think about the reverse. "Whatever you do for the least of these, you do also for me." I treat my children the way I would treat Jesus. And goodness knows, I probably see Jesus in their sweet eyes more often than they see Him in mine.
#51 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Banned

Yes, I was kicked out of a church for advocating AP style of parenting.

"some people would say I'm in sin" so I was told (direct quote) and when I challenged the pastor to open his *bible* to cite chapter and verse I was accused of being "combattive".

Funny thing, Ezzo strongly advocates parents become "parent-centered" to teach the child "other-centeredness".

Like Jesus came to earth, suffered and *died* for us the perfect model of.......parent-centered or *servant-leader*.

Parenting a baby is the closest most of us will get to modeling the Fatherness of G-d.

And we have schmucks making loads of $$$ teaching their swill in the Name of G-d......

db
#52 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 11:24 AM

(((((db)))))
I'm so sorry you were kicked out of a church for your parenting beilefs, but I'm not at all surprised. Sometimes Christians can be the most un-Christ-like people around!

It is sad to see that the Ezzo stuff is still being taught in churches after we fought so hard to expose him nearly 10 years ago! You'd think the Church would be wiser than that!

Alison, do keep us posted on your search for a church. Have you checked out a Vineyard church? We had a thread awhile back on different churches and what people liked or didn't like about them. Maybe you can did it up in the archives. Blessings on your journey....
-b
#53 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 01:59 PM

muutherof 2..I have finally gottne to the point of admitting complete and utter frustration with tyring to study the Bible alone. I will read a passage and then ponder it for DAYS!!!

I am one of those people who wants to know EVERYTHING about the entire situation.I want to know that translations, how the people lived,the history of the time and the place..and WHY they did what they DID!!!!Every question leads to a new question.

I have often wanted to study religion on a college level, and someday when my kiddoes are grown I shall do so...I did take a course in highschool, but I was lazy then and it was a HARD class. I ended up dropping out of it..and I kick myself in the fanny now.

I could fill pages with the questions I have after reading the Bible!!!I love ANY documantary I can find on Biblical times and lives....

I need ANSWERS!!!!

Queen bee, I am sorry that I never came back to re read this post/thread..adn to answer your qeustion about what is AP. I am glad that others were able to answer your question for you!!They sure did a better job than I could have!!!

I think I will be brae and take the advice given and crack a certain book open instead of just carrying it with me everywhere i my car.

I really think alot about what type of church to join. I have often thought about becoming Mennonite, as I have friends who are mennotniee and I really respect their lifestlye and philosophys( newer order,not old order/bonnets and etc>)

I go back and forth. I want to try something out..but I back away from it in fear.

I have constant inner battles over many things regarding my faith and what it truley means to be who I am and what I am. I also have a hardt ime taking to myself as the gospel truth what some earthly person tells me is so..as opposed to what God may have really meant....this can get a person in trouble!!!

And..I have friends with pagan leanings whom I love dearly and would never want to sit injudgement of.Gota go..little boy coming to find me after waking up!!!
#54 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Banned

wannab,

My SIL and BIL lived in Raleigh (sp) for awhile.

What church do you attend?

My daughter is a Marine stationed in Lejeune as well.

DB
#55 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 02:39 PM

u spelled it right! I am WL at Philadelphia Community Church in Rocky Mount, down east. I went to school down east and went to that church, became their new WL, when the other one left. Lejeune is a ways. She getting called up?
#56 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 02:52 PM
Banned

She might be called but her Gunny loves her (because she's smart, learns fast, and can do anything that needs to be done in her office.)

DB
#57 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 03:47 PM
Banned

OH! So many posts and so little brain power.

Avonlea, youre a researcher! Get a Bible program and some study aids for your computer and have a blast. I get carried deep into it also. Just love it. But I fear that going to a college course would inhibit my freedom...they all have boxes, you know...and so I just ask the Lord to keep me on my toes and on HIS track. He is faithful to complete what He has begun in us.

We haven't been called to judge people...although we tend to....I think we are to judge when some THING is wrong, (as His word reveals it) and not hide that truth, but we are most assuredly to LOVE the people around us. There is no doubt about that.

My son smokes, I'm judging it's wrong because it is not healthy for him...but I love him...and he continues to smoke. If he was seriously lying though (bearing false witness), I'd probably ask him to leave...or murder, well then I'd call the police...duh...but I STILL LOVE HIM.
Judge things, love people? Yes? If they come after you to harm you, stop them as best you can...pray for the Lord to reveal truth and heal.
I think that's closest to right.

Ramble over.
Bee
#58 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 03:54 PM
Banned

Debra
On one hand I'm really sorry you were excluded from your "Christian" fellowship. Sorry for them. On the other hand I'm glad you will be seeking HIS face on the whole issue. Now take those two hands and clap and rejoice because He has a plan that will thrill you.

I'm just having a hard time understanding what is sin about your parenting style? What did they say you were doing wrong anyway?

I am really interested in hearing this.

queenbee
#59 of 140 Old 02-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Banned

Just normal AP stuff, breastfeeding, gentle parenting, family bed, etc.

Nothing radical (by Mothering standards )

More details if you're *really* interested.

db
#60 of 140 Old 02-21-2003, 04:48 AM
Banned

::just wanted to send you all a smile!!::

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page