Christians? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 140 Old 02-21-2003, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HEllo all..

I am a Christian.. And I think that i am probably one of those ladies you think have some wacky ideas of what god is and what Jesus does, and what makes you a christian....

It's all good.. .I think however the problems come from people saying "this is christian and this is not..."This is not a christian belief and this is.." There are soo many different christian ideologies out there that say different things, that .. I personally think it's impossible to judge what some one else believes in their faith to God... Especially when we don't know how they got there... I personally think the belief and love of God is enough.. Maybe i'm wrong on that one, but that's what it seems to me...

There are many "christians" who don't believe that catholics are "christians" even though they were the 1st christian church.. I don't know who's to say... I grew up on 2 extremes of christianity it seems to me.. My mother loves penecostal churchs, and my dad and step mom are more presbatyrian (sp?) type church goers... Those 2 churchs believe basically the same thing, but definately don't agree with everything the other does...

I think the true intent of the bible is to teach us love, and to learn from others mistakes.. And to me.. (again just my opinion) it seems the old and new testament are completely different books with almost a different god.. In the OT we have a lot of blood letting and wrath and punishment... Then in the NT we have love and understanding, but still some punishment.. So maybe god mellowed or he just left us to Jesus.. Who knows..

I guess my point is that no one knows, so were as one christian believes one thing, and you hold another as absolute doesn't make either of you right or wrong...

Sorry for the novel.. I just wanted to let everyone know were i am coming from here..

Warm Squishy Feelings..

DYan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#62 of 140 Old 02-21-2003, 07:24 PM

Hey everyone, I've been reading this thread but am jumping in late, sorry...
Nice to meet you new members.
Mamaduck, I'm glad you joined in, I absolutely love reading your posts in gentle discipline...i can probably start posting there more now that my son is 2 and I'm actually confronting some of these issues. It heartens me so much to see Chrisitan mothers parenting their children with gentleness and love. In college I knew this guy who was probably the most Christ-like person I ever knew...not just that he was involved in so many avenues of service, but that he just had a very Christ-like, self-effacing, humble, sacrificial, and loving demeanor...Anyway, I remember him saying that he could not remember his father having EVER raised his voice, and that his father's tenderness had been a major shaping influence on him.
As far as the OT portraying a mean and smiting God, I do disagree. I think it describes what were very violent times in the history of the world, but it doesn't endorse everything it describes. I think it shows a God who is slow to anger--but when people refused His overtures again and again, eventually He took action for the benefit of History. Just my impression.

Does anyone get "Open Line" with Pastor Donald Cole on their local Chrisitan radio station? He is an amazingly knowledgeable & studied man who takes all kinds of callers' questions about the Bible on Monday and Thursday nights. I just love listening to him--he has such a scholarly, warm, grandfatherly demeanor and so much knowledge that he delivers in a loving way. Anyway if he comes on your station you should try to catch his program once in a while.
#63 of 140 Old 02-21-2003, 08:01 PM

oops
#64 of 140 Old 02-21-2003, 08:04 PM

It's good to see you Super Pickle and Pynki. Thanks for sharing where you're coming from. I agree that one can not judge what someone else believes. Christians come in so many flavors and seasonings. The veriety ought to be embraced and celebrated, but it seems we all tend to fear those that are different from us. I wonder why that is.

Peace in Christ,

-b
#65 of 140 Old 02-22-2003, 05:34 AM

i guess my take on everything, and what my above post was trying to say is... I believe what i believe, but i have also researched what others believe and why they believe that (whether it is a christian religion or not...), and honestly i can usually see why they believe what they do.. I don't think that enought christians question why they believe what they do, and if they truly believe it at all..

I have a hard time telling anyone that they are wrong, and thier beliefs can land them in hell.. That's me.. I don't know for certain that what i believe is right, i only know that i believe it.. I'm not afraid to tell someone what i believe or why i believe it.. I am strong in my convictions, but that doesn't make me any more right than someone else...

When i share what i believe with someone else i would liken it to blowing on a leaf in a stream pushing it that way... A gentle nudge into thinking at least about why they believe the way they do... I know some people who share their beliefs like a windmachine on that same leaf.. I may get them farther sometimes, but the ramifications sometimes are lost...

I have had many conversations with God.. I'm sort of a brat when I pray, and i am not the most reverent person in the world.. I have spoken with God in dreams, and always feel a sense of peace from it, so i figuire God doesn't have a big beef with me, or perhaps he is just chuckling at me..

I used to wonder why I never saw God's face when i would dream, and my MIL gave me some food for thought on that one.. We aren't supposed to... We are supposed to seek his face, but to actually see it would kill a person with it's glory, and since that seem to mesh with what i know, and what i have experienced i can agree with that..

I am probably more liberal than i should be, but i can't deny who i am, and to do so with God would be hipocrocy.. So I know that other christians have problems with me as a christian, but so long as God and I are good i think the rest is just background noise...

Sorry for the ramble.. I don't have a lot of friends i can be religiously philisophical with... Ignore me if it's not what you were looking for in this thread...

Warm Squishies....

Dyan

#66 of 140 Old 02-22-2003, 10:50 AM

I'm glad you're here Pynki, and am enjoying reading your posts. I'm so sorry if my response to yours seemed like I was trying to pick a fight, I was just trying to carry on the conversation... Anyway it's great to read everyone's thoughts.
#67 of 140 Old 02-22-2003, 01:25 PM

Nah SP...

It wasn't you... I just don't think my original post was as articulate as i wanted it to be...

That and I couldn't sleep, so my thoughts were sort of rambling.. I wasn't directing them at anyone in particular just getting them out there...

Warm Squishies...

Dyan

#68 of 140 Old 02-22-2003, 02:25 PM

oops again
#69 of 140 Old 02-22-2003, 06:07 PM

Hi - I'm a Christian also...I haven't been to this forum in awhile either...nice to 'see' everyone again...

I've agreed with just about everything you've ever posted in Spirituality, Mamaduck, and I also am a follower of Christ. So I definitely think you are a 'real' Christian!
#70 of 140 Old 02-22-2003, 07:00 PM

Pynki, I loved your post!

Quote:
I believe what i believe, but i have also researched what others believe and why they believe that (whether it is a christian religion or not...), and honestly i can usually see why they believe what they do.. I don't think that enought christians question why they believe what they do, and if they truly believe it at all..
I so relate to this. So many Christians in my life recite what other people have told them to believe, not what they really think.

As for other people not believing whether or not anyone is a Christian, how do they know? God knows our hearts, it doesn't matter what other people think. At least that's how I look at it.

I went to a well known Christian school for college and I couldn't believe how many people were quick to say, oh, you're not a Christian, just because I didn't believe exactly as they did.

As Christians, we are to love one another first, not try to tear each other down and argue about who's better, has more faith, etc.

Hello, Carolyn, and welcome.
#71 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 12:00 AM

What kind of Christian are you?

Has anyone else taken this test? My results are below..

Quote:
You are a Hillary Rodham Clinton Christian (a.k.a. "Left-Leaning Traditionalist").

#72 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 12:27 AM

Wow, I got a perfect score! I haven't even read that far in the Bible, but somehow knew all the answers!!
#73 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 01:02 AM

New to the Mothering Forums, but not new to Christianity. Yeah to us! I'm so happy to find fellow Christians on this site. I also thought I would not find anyone who served Jesus in these forums. I was in it for just info on taking better care of my babies. The Lord blesses me every day in ways I never could dream of. This is one of his little blessings for me! Glad to meet you all.
#74 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 01:12 AM

I'm a George Bush Sr. Christian aka Right Leaning Traditionalist. I better stay out of Activism for awhile.

I agree, NM. Kind of bizarre names, all around.

Welcome, girliemom. Nice to have you here

I'm looking forward to learning, encouraging, and helping one another too.
#75 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 01:12 AM

I took the quiz, but decided that I don't think it asked the right questions. Being a Christian is not just about knowing the "facts" or believing the "right" set of things. It is also about living what you know.

But for whatever it is worth, I am a "George Bush Sr. Christian (a.k.a. "Right-Leaning Traditionalist")"

My husband is quite proud of me. He's been worried that I seem "too liberal."

But I still say it didn't ask the right questions!!!

#76 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 01:45 AM

Hi mamaduck, (and fellow clone of GB Sr.) :LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by mamaduck
Being a Christian is not just about knowing the "facts" or believing the "right" set of things. It is also about living what you know.

But I still say it didn't ask the right questions!!!
I agree. Either that or it didn't have the right answers to some of the questions.

An interesting experience, for sure.
#77 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Being a Christian is not just about knowing the "facts" or believing the "right" set of things. It is also about living what you know.
I think it is meant for entertainment rather then a 'test' of faith KWIM?

I am not a label kind of person either. But the description of liberal christians was amusing to me because I fit the sterio type in many ways. I honestly just got a chuckle.

#78 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thise had to be the silliest questions I have ever read. i think probably most Christians would end up inthe Jerry falwell catagory (we should have a gagging smilie) but thier description is so lame and not true of me. I have never read a single left behind book and I hate touched by an Angle.

Some of those questions were weird. They over simplified complicated things or they had two good answers to one question.

Amusing though. My friend and I used to play the super Christian game and we would build ourselves up as people who did most of that. Good times. good times. We would also play beat that testimony where we would make up fake testimonies to see who could have a more redeemed fake life. we were very good kids going to a charasmatic church. We had a lot to poke fun at and lots of free time on our hands. I miss those days.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#79 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 02:12 AM

Hi everyone! I just wanted to pop in and say how glad I am to know that there are other Christian mamas here on the boards. I was beginning to think that I was one of very few Christian mamas here, and I was beginning to get frustrated from some of the other forums I've browsed. I'm so glad to meet you all
#80 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 02:18 AM

00ps....too many people on this computer!
#81 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 02:22 AM

Never fear Nursing Mother, I too scored as a Jerry Falwell Christian (a.k.a "Historicist").

I agree with Mamaduck, the questions were too narrow and limiting to show any real variations. It really is all about your heart and walking the walk you talk!

My dh was also proud of me, as he has been fearing I'm leaning a little too left for his taste lately!

I'm so glad to be able to fellowship with all of you ladies here.

Peace of Christ,
-b
#82 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 03:09 AM

I got the Jerry guy, too. I don't even know who he is..? But I guess he's not that great, huh? Oh well, as a newbie some of those questions were over my head anyway.
#83 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 03:12 AM

Just incase anyone is interested...
Here are some of my favorite links~

www.aboverubies.org ~ good articles, free paper magazine!

www.motherscompanion.org ~you need to subscribe to the paper magazine to read her stuff, she is an AP home birthing momma and sooo smart!

www.christianparent.com ~BF and the Bible

www.logoschristian.org/rainbow.html ~for all you hippies!

www.milksucks.com/breasttop2.jpg ~ Jesus was breastfed!

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/R...s/brfding.html ~ bottle feeding as a sin

www.hometown.aol.com/dolphinmom5/CUnschool.html ~ Jesus was an unschooler!

Have any of you ever read Mary Pride's books, or about Zion birth?
#84 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 06:48 AM

Another George Bush Sr. clone here, funnily enough. Definitely dont' agree with parts of the description, but it was interesting anyway...
#85 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 10:12 AM

What was with that stupid question about Jesus' marital state? Why didn't have an "I have no idea" option?
#86 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 11:19 AM

This is kinda off topic, but kinda not....I have a REALLY bad cursing problem How do I be who I want to be as a Christian, if I cannot even force myself to stop swearing?? I usually swear when angry or overtired. It is really embarrassing, though, and I feel guilty afterwards.
#87 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Banned

Oh, no, I'm a Jerry Falwell Christian

I got a 355

I really don't think of myself as a Jerry Falwell Christian.

DB
#88 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 12:48 PM

Me to.. Good ole Jerrry here.. .
(BLECH BLECH!!!) I can't stand just about anything that guy says.. .

Sometimes makes me want to NOT be associated with him in anyway.. NOW i am him... GOd is laughing at me...

Bladestar...

I used to swear a bit, but i don't anymore.. The thing that got me to stop was that people swear for lack of a better word, and the ignorant swear a lot.. ACK!! i'm not saying you are ignorant, just that that's what helped me to quit... I still say swears just not the big ones.. Like i say dammit, but not gd... Or i say crap instead.. But usually not the other... I suppose it depends on what you think a swear is...

Having kids actually curbed it because its cute to hear you 2 year old say damn it, but not when you hear him say it in context because he's po 'ed at his toys upstairs..

Warm Squishies everyone...

Dyan

#89 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 01:20 PM

I agree it was having kids repeat what we said that motivated dh and myself to clean up our language. You can try praying for some grace to cover your mistakes and help you to "kick the habit." Good luck to you!
-b
#90 of 140 Old 02-24-2003, 04:06 PM

Hi ladies! I am new to the site and and SOOOOOOOOOOO glad to find other christian mamas! I was amember of a few other boards that were very unfriendly to me for my faith and boldness about it. So just when i had though i was alone in theworld, God leads me to you all. I am so happy. We jsut moved to NC and have yet to fins a church and i miss the fellowship so much. I am longing for a biblestudy. I Was on the liturgical dance team at home and DH was in a christian band. We have been in a drought of christian intreraction. It is so good to se serious christiand that parent the way we do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page