Christians? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2003, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WElcome rubysjuice!!

I wish you well in your search for a fellowship in your area, and I hope you will feel welcomed here.

Peace in Christ!
-b
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2003, 04:30 PM

Hello,

I just joined. I am not a mom yet but we just started trying. I am also a Christian and I am glad I found this sight because I kinda feel like I am not going to be the same type of mom as the majority of my Christian friends are. That's fine but I thought it would be neat to meet other Christians who have my same kind of views of parenting.

Julie
Old 02-26-2003, 07:07 PM

Hi Julie, welcome to the boards.

Nice to have you here.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamaduck
What was with that stupid question about Jesus' marital state? Why didn't have an "I have no idea" option?
The clue to Jesus' marital state is when Mary of Magdala washed his feet and wiped them with her hair. No Jewish woman would appear with her hair exposed and down except before her husband. Much less do something so intimate as wipe his feet with it!

This is meant as a clue to the true nature of Mary of Magdala as a human incarnation of the lower Sophia, the bride of Christ in the gnostic (original ) Xtian myth cycle. She symbolizes the Fall of the spark of eternal consciousness into matter, and Jesus is there to rescue her and return her to the Ineffable God. The Return.

The trip we all make. The 7 demons he rids her of, symbolize the 7 heavens. Etc. Mother Mary symbolizes the Upper Sophia, the Virgin. It is no coincidence they have the same name. Of course, I take the Bible non-literally, even to the point of figuring Jesus himself to be a mythological god.

Mary M was the beloved disciple who rests on Jesus' lap at the Last Supper. It is quite lovely, and very important, to focus in on the role of women in the NT.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:33 PM

That is interesting Daryl. But "I don't know" should still have been an option, since some of us (or at least I) had no earthly idea about it.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:38 AM

Quote:
The clue to Jesus' marital state is when Mary of Magdala washed his feet and wiped them with her hair. No Jewish woman would appear with her hair exposed and down except before her husband. Much less do something so intimate as wipe his feet with it!

This is meant as a clue to the true nature of Mary of Magdala as a human incarnation of the lower Sophia, the bride of Christ in the gnostic (original ) Xtian myth cycle. She symbolizes the Fall of the spark of eternal consciousness into matter, and Jesus is there to rescue her and return her to the Ineffable God. The Return.

The trip we all make. The 7 demons he rids her of, symbolize the 7 heavens. Etc. Mother Mary symbolizes the Upper Sophia, the Virgin. It is no coincidence they have the same name. Of course, I take the Bible non-literally, even to the point of figuring Jesus himself to be a mythological god.

Mary M was the beloved disciple who rests on Jesus' lap at the Last Supper. It is quite lovely, and very important, to focus in on the role of women in the NT.
This is an interesting take on things.

I don't agree with any of it, but it was interesting to read.

What is your definition of 'gnostic', Daryl? I've heard two definitions recently, and they seem to contradict one another.

One was that the physical body is completely separate from the spirit, so that you can do whatever you want with your body (good/bad), it has no bearing on your spiritual self.

The other was that the physical body/spirit is all entertwined and cannot be separated, so anything you do that affects your body affects your spirit.

Are either of those even the right definition? Any clarification would be great.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:38 AM

Um, I thought there was NO way that he was married, because he was pure, and a virgin. He had no need to marry.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alison74
What is your definition of 'gnostic', Daryl? I've heard two definitions recently, and they seem to contradict one another.

One was that the physical body is completely separate from the spirit, so that you can do whatever you want with your body (good/bad), it has no bearing on your spiritual self.

The other was that the physical body/spirit is all entertwined and cannot be separated, so anything you do that affects your body affects your spirit.

Are either of those even the right definition? Any clarification would be great.
Alison--

Whether you agree or not, on first look, well, you might want to read a couple fantastic books just to expand your understanding of the history of your religion. I loved them. Both by Freke and Gandy. The Jesus Mysteries, and Jesus and the Lost Goddess.

Gnostic Xtianity was the original, refreshing, creative and new take on spirituality, in the first cent CE. Literalists took over soon after, hardened it and structured it. Removed most mention of women's real spiritual role, and mentions of reincarnation, for ex.

Your "definitions" of gnoticism above do not define gnosticism, but are aspects of it. Strangly, different schools of gnosticism might have practiced one or the other approach.

The definition of gnosis? I have only been studying it for 6 mos or so, so do not have all the answers. Something like this. A knowledge that we are all One, all deriving from the Ineffable God. All interconnected, what you do to the least of these, you do to me, as Jesus "said." As Paul said, Christ in you!

It's actually kind of Buddhist/Platonic, when you really get down to it. It's complicated and simple at the same time.

We can't define God. "He" is ineffable, uncreated. That is why there are so many religions. The great energy force is beyond any definiton, so whenever we try to describe it with words, we are automatically messed up . And you get silly disagreements.

All the Xtian myths are metaphors for our own psyches and spirits. Gnostics say look within to find God. Know thyself.

Whether Jesus was married to Mary or not, well, he is called a bridegroom all the time! But it is all metaphor. It won't make any sense to fundamentalists.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Let's keep this thread along the path of Christians connecting with one another here as a community. While discussion of gnosticism is fine in this forum it would better to discuss it as a separate subject in a new thread.

Thanks mamas!

Old 02-27-2003, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Daryl.

Gnosis is a fairly new concept for me as well. The person I was discussing it with had taken a couple classes on it (3/3 hr. college courses) and he was saying it still confused him. I will take a look at those two books you mentioned, to try to gain a beginners understanding.

Quote:
We can't define God. "He" is ineffable, uncreated. That is why there are so many religions. The great energy force is beyond any definiton, so whenever we try to describe it with words, we are automatically messed up . And you get silly disagreements.
I do agree with this. It's been my understanding that there are attributes, or characteristics that can be assigned to God (omnipresent, omnipotent, eternal, to name a few), but we will never have a full understanding.

Quote:
Whether Jesus was married to Mary or not, well, he is called a bridegroom all the time! But it is all metaphor. It won't make any sense to fundamentalists.
I don't consider myself a fundamentalist. To me, the conotations of the word, especially in American culture, are mostly negative, as many view fundamentalists as set and immovable and not open to any kind of different view or learning.

I do agree that Jesus is called a bridegroom, but that his bride is the church, and not a specific woman. Just like the body of Christ is made up of all believers, not an actual tangible body running around. Both things I believe to be metaphorical.

It's my understanding that when He was on earth, He was here to teach and set up His kingdom on earth, not indulge in such earthly pleasures like marriage or children.

I do believe God has a very high and respectful view of women, throughout the Bible.

Oh, I did want to add, about Mary Magdala, I thought when she washed His feet, anointed them with oil and wiped them clean with her hair, it symbolized that she was anointing Him for his iminent burial. Or, I have also heard, she was in complete submission to Him (in a spiritual sense, not sexual).
Old 02-27-2003, 01:54 PM

I gues this tangent has been deemed inappropriate for Christians! Grrr...
Old 02-27-2003, 02:22 PM

Huh? Who deemed it inappropriate? What did I miss?

Ohhh. My computer is Sooooo Sloooow.

Old 02-27-2003, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wannabmommie
there *are* Christian natural parents? For some reason there's so much New Age in "natural," which God created in *His* perfect design! I was a little wary of going to spirituality; but, I'm glad to know we represent! *waving hand*
I totaly agree! And think that often! I am a christian too!
Old 02-27-2003, 02:30 PM

Same here. I completely agree and am glad that there actually *are* Christian mamas here who feel this way also

edited to correct spelling
Old 02-27-2003, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 3miraclebabies
Same here. I completely agree and am glad that there actually *are* Christian mamas here who feel this way also
Yay a diapering board mama! Not that all of you are not wonderful! I just got excited seeing a famiure name.

? why sooooo many "ooooops" posts from Lunar Forest?
Old 02-27-2003, 03:17 PM

Hi Monda! I don't usually wander very far from diapering, LOL! I wondered what all of those oops posts were about too :
Old 02-27-2003, 04:20 PM

They really are just "oops." I keep replying to the wrong thread :

I didn't say anything shoking and than delete it. I don't have anything that interesting to say.

I'm not completely Christian, but I'll say hi!
Old 02-27-2003, 04:48 PM

Oh, got it Well, hi anyway to you too!
Old 02-27-2003, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lunar forest
They really are just "oops." I keep replying to the wrong thread :

I didn't say anything shoking and than delete it. I don't have anything that interesting to say.

I'm not completely Christian, but I'll say hi!
I for one didn't not want to put you on the defensive, it just seemed like a lot of "ooops" over and over again and I was wondering.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by DaryLLL
I gues this tangent has been deemed inappropriate for Christians! Grrr...
Not at all. But a focused discussion of that tangent should be made in a new thread. No need to growl D.

Old 03-05-2003, 03:36 AM

Hi! I wasn't sure if I was going to get through the six pages of posts, but I made it! I'm Marisa and I'm married with one son and 22 yrs old.

I consider myself to be a spirit-filled, born again Christian. I think alot of people have very negative connotations with Holy Spirit, "Charismatic" churches, but I am proud to say that's the sort of Christian I am! I think with every denomination you get churches that are "bad apples", and I'm sorry that some of you had negative experiences with these churches in the past. I just tend to get a little protective when I hear people say these "faith-based" churches are weird.

I practice AP to the full extent, extended BF, co sleeping, slingin', etc. and am also pretty "crunchy" too. I cloth diaper, am vegetarian, home birthed, etc etc.

Nice to meet everyone!
Old 03-05-2003, 12:11 PM

Hi marisa!
Old 03-05-2003, 02:05 PM

Welcome, Marisa!
Old 03-06-2003, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the welcome.
I'm sure everyone has heard of this situation by now, but please ask God for a miracle for this child and the family. I pray they find a donor in time.

------------

LOMA LINDA, Calif. (March 4) - When Maj. Hal Sellers learned his infant son was living on borrowed time awaiting a heart transplant, the Marine and his wife had to choose between duty to family and to nation.

Should he stay and aid his critically ill son, or help lead his battalion as it readied for a looming war in the Middle East? Sellers ``did a lot of soul-searching,'' said his wife, Betsy Sellers:

Since there was nothing he could do to help 4-month-old Dillon, Sellers, 37, chose to help his military unit.

``It was a hard decision to make,'' Betsy Sellers, also 37, said Monday. ``He had to come to the hospital and say goodbye to Dillon, and not know what would happen.''

A little more than a week after Sellers left, Dillon has only days to live unless he receives a new heart.

``I am doing what I have to do, and my husband is doing what he has to do,'' Betsy Sellers said. ``We're doing what we need to do for our family and, hopefully, for other families.''

Dillon was 10 days old when he was diagnosed Oct. 31 with Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome, which occurs when a heart is unable to pump or circulate blood. Although the condition can sometimes be corrected with surgery, Dillon's heart is too damaged, doctors say.

Dillon has been placed at the top of the heart transplant list at Loma Linda University Medical Center, transplant coordinator Armando Deamaya said. It was not immediately clear where Dillon has been placed on the list by the United Network for Organ Sharing. The medical center has a 25 percent mortality rate for those awaiting transplants.

``Every day could be an end-of-life issue for him,'' Deamaya said. ``We're probably talking days rather than weeks.''

As the family struggled with Dillon's diagnosis, the Marines offered Sellers a desk job at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, a small desert town 140 miles east of Los Angeles.

But the 13-year veteran is second-in-command of the 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, and had trained for months to deploy to the Middle East. His wife said ultimately he was concerned about bringing in a new member so late in the training.

``I think this situation sheds light in a very tangible way on the sacrificial nature of service to country. While no one would want to be in the major's position, we understand the difficulties,'' said Capt. Rob Crum, a base spokesman.

The major's mother, Betty Sellers, said the family supported her son's decision.

``We didn't say, 'Hal, do this or do that.' We tried to convey the message that Dillon was getting the best possible care he could have, and maybe Hal had to do in life what he could do best,'' she said in a telephone interview from her home in Des Moines, Iowa.

Lying in a crib at the medical center, Dillon breathes with the help of a ventilator as tubes snake from his chest, arms and legs. A patch from Sellers' unit, known as the Wolf Pack, is among the pictures and stuffed animals decorating Dillon's crib.

The baby was listed in critical condition Monday.

On Sunday, Sellers called home from an undisclosed location for an update on Dillon.

His wife delivered a message to their son: ``Daddy loves you.''
Old 03-06-2003, 01:15 AM

I feel so sorry for them. I am crying to think that I am so worried about the bills, and they are in such a very sad position of helplessness. This really puts things into perspective, and shows me how "rich" we really are, to have our family safe and intact. I pray for the family, and that poor sweet baby.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:19 AM

This very brave family was on the CBS morning news this a.m.

They are certainly in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:51 AM

Quote:
I consider myself to be a spirit-filled, born again Christian. I think alot of people have very negative connotations with Holy Spirit, "Charismatic" churches, but I am proud to say that's the sort of Christian I am! I think with every denomination you get churches that are "bad apples", and I'm sorry that some of you had negative experiences with these churches in the past. I just tend to get a little protective when I hear people say these "faith-based" churches are weird.
I second everything said here! Even my hubby has a bad taste in his mouth towards my spiritual heritage based on past experiences and television evagilists.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:04 AM

Hi marisa, and welcome.

That family is in my prayers. I hope a donation comes through.

As the proud daughter of a marine, the father's dedication to our country made me smile. It's not surprising, at all. Marines are a special breed.

Semper Fi
Old 03-06-2003, 10:30 AM

You know the sad irony of that story, though, is that somebody else has to lose their precious little angel for that one to get a heart. So very, very sad.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Banned

Alison,

As the proud *mother* of a Marine I know what you mean.

Debra Baker

User Tag List