Friends/Quakers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 04-24-2006, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know you must be out there on the big wide world of mothering.commune.

My family and I have recently become Quakers. It was so amazing to walk into a meeting house and feel like we were in our spritual home. We feel so blessed.

I'd love to have some discussion with other friends.

Until then, be well.

Lindsay
#2 of 87 Old 04-24-2006, 02:39 PM

Nice to meet you, Friend,
I am mostly a lurker but i do enjoy popping into these Quaker forums and get to know 'Friendly folk". I have been attending Meeting for Worship since 1989...and it is one of these areas in my life that i know without a doubt i am meant to be at. I was moved to accept the position of Clerk in our small monthly Meeting and we have 3 children who are being happily raised Quaker including my college aged son who is a freshman at Guilford.
Enjoy your wonderful new spiritual journey
#3 of 87 Old 04-24-2006, 02:57 PM

Hi!
I am not a "member" but have been an active "attender" in the past. And am missing it. We are going to the LDS meetings and I'm not getting/giving enough with that spiritual community. Thinking of going again...Thanks for the heads-up!
Sending love out,
Deb
#4 of 87 Old 04-24-2006, 02:59 PM

#5 of 87 Old 04-24-2006, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Nice to meet you all!

I'm enjoying reading some Quaker books and attending silent worship. We may be ready to attend some adult edu. meetings soon. I'm currently reading Mothers of Feminism By: Margaret Hope Bacon. It is the exact book I am needing at this point in my spiritual journey.

Be Well Friends,

L
#6 of 87 Old 04-30-2006, 09:30 PM

another Friend here
#7 of 87 Old 04-30-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlemom
another Friend here
Here too!
#8 of 87 Old 05-01-2006, 12:35 AM

Camellia, your book title sounds splendid. Has anyone read The Quiet Rebels? Very good book about the social justice aspect of the Quaker legacy.
#9 of 87 Old 05-03-2006, 03:37 PM

Hi, I'm just beginning to look into the Quaker beliefs. From what I've read so far, it seems like the place for me. Please tell me about your experiences and beliefs.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#10 of 87 Old 05-03-2006, 05:12 PM

QOTP,

I became a Quaker about 5 years ago...finally became convinced after about 10 years of searching. I was attracted to it because it blended my Episcopalian-Buddhist roots, and very importantly there was no creed. I go to an 'unprogrammed' meeting, meaning there is no minister, just silence until someone is moved to speak. The process of consensus is at the heart of Quaker business meetings and I love that. Sometimes change can take a while but at least we always move together.

if you have more specific questions feel free to ask here or to PM me if you want.

BTW, I'm a far from silent person and am given to laughing much too loud... also, love hearing about good books on the topic...I'm afraid I haven't got much brain these days for anything but Faith & Practice and occasionally a few pages of John Woolman's journal (very good read).
#11 of 87 Old 05-05-2006, 12:41 AM

I'm here! I faithful attender who ought to get off the computer and write her letter for membership!

I only get over here to the spirituality forum once in a while, but I usually find a Quaker thread when I drop in. I'll subscribe to this one and hopefully "chat" with you all later. Right now it's past my bedtime!

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#12 of 87 Old 05-13-2006, 11:54 PM

Another Friendly Mama here!

I know exactly what you mean about finding your spiritual home. I could not get along in the world without my community there...
#13 of 87 Old 05-14-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlemom
QOTP,

I became a Quaker about 5 years ago...finally became convinced after about 10 years of searching. I was attracted to it because it blended my Episcopalian-Buddhist roots, and very importantly there was no creed. I go to an 'unprogrammed' meeting, meaning there is no minister, just silence until someone is moved to speak. The process of consensus is at the heart of Quaker business meetings and I love that. Sometimes change can take a while but at least we always move together.
This is how our meeting house is.
I went ot my first meeting today with DS and DP. I was raised episcoble (in a sense, we were forced to attend services. My mother, an ex roman catholic never went, but my father was quite active untill recently), however, my dad's father was raised a friend and alhtough hasn't been active in years, his whole family were friends since they came to this country...so he knows about it.
It felt so nice. My DP is very into eastern relgions and I take from everything...so it was nice. And Ds had a ball!
#14 of 87 Old 07-03-2006, 04:38 AM

I'm not sure exactly what to say here, but I feel compelled to say something...

(please excuse if I use the wrong wording for something. Above all, I mean NOTHING in a negative way, so if it comes out sounding a little wrong/inaccurate, it's just because I am a litte ignorant )

OK. First of all... I am not religious or spiritual in any way. And I feel just fine about it. I am happy this way. However... I recently learned a little bit more about Quakers, whereas before I knew nothing about it. For some reason I feel extremely touched by this (...what do you call it? Religion? Spirituality? Ideology? Something else?). I usually do not understand religion.... it's just not something I relate to, on the whole. So often there seems to be so many strong opinions, beliefs, etc that divide and breed anger and hate... and that just makes me sad. The "rules" and doctrines quite literally don't make any sense to me at all. When I was reading and discovering about "Friends", I felt the complete opposite. I was amazed that there was some type of religion that made sense to me in every way. I am completely intrigued and would love to find out more, and perhaps make a visit to a meeting.

I am not really looking to change my mind about my personal (or lack of) religion/spirituality/etc-- quite frankly I feel nothing in that sense (not saying that I'm not open to it though, anything is possible, just not very probable for me). I hope that's okay to say here... I don't want to upset anyone. Maybe you think (and I am not saying that you do) that it's just because I haven't found God yet, or can't hear God, I don't know... but I personally don't feel that way. It's not something I can adequately explain. I am sure that this would make some people angry at me, but I am hoping that I am free to say that here.
I guess that's why I'm not sure what my point is. I just feel like I "get it" now. Something inside of me was changed.

Can I ask how all of you became a Quaker (do you prefer to be called a Friend? I'm sorry... I'm so afraid to step on toes with my ignorance)? What was it that led you to finding it? I hope it's okay to ask you questions in your thread, I don't want you to feel barged-in on. I was going to start a new thread just for my musings and questions, but I searched back a few pages first and found this one. Anything that you'd like to share with me would be great. I am just so intrigued, which is (honestly) rather unlike me for this topic.

Thank-you so much.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#15 of 87 Old 07-04-2006, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker
Can I ask how all of you became a Quaker (do you prefer to be called a Friend? I'm sorry... I'm so afraid to step on toes with my ignorance)? What was it that led you to finding it? I hope it's okay to ask you questions in your thread, I don't want you to feel barged-in on. I was going to start a new thread just for my musings and questions, but I searched back a few pages first and found this one. Anything that you'd like to share with me would be great. I am just so intrigued, which is (honestly) rather unlike me for this topic.

Thank-you so much.
Bjorker, an honest inquiry is never offensive, or at least it shouldn't be. It's late, and I'm not feeling especially expressive at the moment, so I'll save the long version of how I came to Quakerism for another time. Suffice it to say my path has been quite different from yours. I have always believed in a higher power of a Christian flavor, but had become dissatisfied with the way both mainstream Protestant denominations and the more fundementalist and evangelical churches were defining and relating to God. When I stumbled across liberal Quakers, it was like finding my spiritual family.

One thing I've found liberating about Friends is that we can share many core values and ways of being in the world while holding a relatively wide diversity of theological beliefs. It would not be correct (in my view) to say that it doesn't *matter* what you believe, but rather that how one defines God or Spirit or The Light is less important than the fact that we experience It corporately in our worship.

You might be very interested to know (if you don't already) that there are Friends who would define themselves as atheists. I believe the more common term these Friends might use is "non-theist". Personally, I don't quite understand this state of affairs, but so what? I do believe that everyone has that of God inside them, so it doesn't stop me from having meaningful worship and community with these Friends, just as I do with those who hold beliefs about God that are more similar to my own.

Best wishes to you in your spiritual journey -- wherever it may take you!

#16 of 87 Old 08-07-2006, 12:49 AM

I went today to a meeting for the first time in more than four years. I tearfully enjoyed the feeling of communion as we held hands before eating a meal together afterward. WOW, what an amazing group.

Sending love out!
-Debora
#17 of 87 Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 AM

Wow.. it's nice to see all the familiar "faces" in a new context! I'm an attender for about 3 years now... though I haven't been to meeting in a while because DD won't sit still and I don't think she's quite ready for FDS yet... maybe when it starts up again in September.
#18 of 87 Old 08-08-2006, 04:31 PM

I still have to get to Meeting! I have become a listless Episcopalian who can no longer buy into the Creed, not to mention the devisive politics over the last couple of years.

I sometimes go into my own silent contemplation, unsure if what I feel and believe is 'my gut feeling' or 'the spirit moving within.' And lately it has been pulling me into the direction of at least living of what I perceive to be a Quaker life; that is...

Honesty, respect for self and others, simplicity, and a search for truth in all things.

Waldorf mama to 5yo b/g twins
#19 of 87 Old 08-18-2006, 07:15 PM

I've grown up around Meeting, my mom has attended Meeting for the past 15 years or so, I went to FDS...I went through a period of rejecting all religion for a while and am coming back from that. I know a LOT about Quaker beliefs and teachings, but I'm having trouble accepting one thing: the silent meeting. I don't really have any interest in sitting in silence for an hour--meditation or extended prayer has never called my attention. Our meeting is unprogrammed, just an hour of silence unless anyone feels moved to say something. I read in the latest edition of the Friends Journal about what people do during meeting, be it meditation, prayer, thinking, even reading. Does anyone read in your Meeting? I'm going to ask my mom what she thinks and what would be acceptable at Meeting. Is it possible or even worth it to be a Quaker and not attend Meeting time? I'm thinking of just getting involved so my son can attend FDS and to become involved with the social justice work.

raising my two sunshine children.

#20 of 87 Old 08-23-2006, 11:51 AM

Mamita.... we had some visitors come to our Meetinghouse and read during Meeting for Worship time. The next Meeting for Worship a weighty Friend who was committed to Quaker process ( because it seems to work) suggested that reading while others where worshiping was not a good idea as it distracts the whole community worship process. The goal of unprogrammed Meeting is not individual meditation but to collectively worship as a community and wait upon the Spirit that is believed to be within all. I think that is the beauty of unprogrammed Meeting...there is synergy that is not found in individual meditation and the reality of 'Christ (or spirit Deity)gathering where 2 or more people are found gathered in his name'.
There are programmed meetings in other areas of the country although i live in the Northeast so they are not as abundant as in the midwest. I agree that unprogrammed Meetings are not for everyone. I do believe though that in order to get most of the unprogrammed Meeting , one would want to accept the premise of the Gathered Community and be present in all ways during Communal worship.
#21 of 87 Old 08-24-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinkisser
a weighty Friend who was committed to Quaker process ( because it seems to work) suggested that reading while others where worshiping was not a good idea as it distracts the whole community worship process. The goal of unprogrammed Meeting is not individual meditation but to collectively worship as a community and wait upon the Spirit that is believed to be within all. I think that is the beauty of unprogrammed Meeting...there is synergy that is not found in individual meditation and the reality of 'Christ (or spirit Deity)gathering where 2 or more people are found gathered in his name'.
I agree with this. There have been a few occassions where someone in meeting reads, and I think it does have a negative effect on the "gatheredness" of the meeting for the reasons stated above. The exception to this (for me) is if a Friend reads briefly from the Bible or a song book or some other sacred or inspirational text. I've seen people read a short passage to themselves, then close the book. That seems more to me likely to be a spirit-led action and it even sometimes leads to vocal ministry.

I read that same article in Friends Journal, btw. I liked it, but I do remember thinking that I would not approve of the reading during meeting. It doesn't happen often enough in our meeting for anyone to make an issue of it, but it is distracting, IMO.

Should you go just for your son? I don't know -- that's a tough call. Perhaps if it's been a long time since you were in an unprogrammed meeting, you would find the experience different now. Or perhaps you wouldn't and it wouldn't feel honest to be there. Maybe you could find a programmed meeting as dolphinkisser suggested. Some of the FUM meetings are fairly close to FGC in their beliefs, I think. If you can find one of the more liberal FUM meetings, that might be a good solution for you. Good luck!

#22 of 87 Old 10-18-2006, 10:49 AM

I don't know whether anyone from this thread is still looking in... I dug it up by searching for Quaker.

I'm a sometime attender (haven't been in a year but feeling very strongly that I should go back). I thought the question about reading in meeting was interesting. I wouldn't read through an entire meeting (and I haven't seen anyone do that) but I think reading something that helps you to center and inspires your worship is fine. I think the goal of the reading should be to bring you to a state of mind in which you can worship with the community, rather than the ordinary goals of reading outside of meeting (learning something new, etc. etc.)
#23 of 87 Old 10-18-2006, 04:16 PM

My grandmother told me that her father was raised a Quaker, and later studied Buddhism. It's always put a place in my heart of wanting to find out more about Quakers. (My grandmother was Buddhist most of her life, and later became Christian. However she is still a very liberal pesron with diverse beliefs).

I am thinking of going to a meeting Sunday. What should I expect?

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#24 of 87 Old 10-18-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post
I am thinking of going to a meeting Sunday. What should I expect?
It depends on the meeting you attend. Do you know if the Meeting near you is programmed or unprogrammed? (If they have a website, it might tell you.)

#25 of 87 Old 10-19-2006, 06:36 PM

I emailed them and asked. They said at 10am is singing, and at 11am is unprogrammed worship.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#26 of 87 Old 10-19-2006, 07:07 PM

This is very interesting....my dh and I have been Christians all our lives, but recently have questioned almost everything. We took this test online with a ton of questions that supposedly determine which religion or belief system would be best for you. We both took it separately and both got QUAKER!

We were really suprised! At first we laughed about it- thinking of the Quaker Oats guy (sorry...)

But we looked more into it and kinda liked what we found.

How does it differ from mainstream Chrsitianity?
#27 of 87 Old 10-19-2006, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just wanted to pop in over here and mention that I used to go to Friends meetings when I was little! My dad has always been into different religions and he loved the meetings and took me along and my ant and uncle are Quaker, so the Friends will always have a special place in my heart.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#28 of 87 Old 10-19-2006, 08:39 PM

Heartmama, here's a good link that describes generally what to expect in an unprogrammed meeting for worship: http://www.quakerinfo.org/quakerism/worship.html

I hope you enjoy your visit!

#29 of 87 Old 10-19-2006, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmaze View Post
You might find this link helpful: http://www.quaker.org/friends.html
Interestingly, I recently read a Quaker pamphlet (from Pendle Hill, for those familiar), which argued that Friends should reject belief systems of any kind -- ideological, religious, political, etc. -- and return to our roots in pure spiritual *experience*. Genuinely thought provoking, but it makes it pretty hard to answer the question "What do Quakers believe?"

BTW, dh and I found Quakers through a quiz too! Liberal Quaker was our highest common denominator. We've been attending regularly for about 3 1/2 years now, and we are both feel we've found a "home".

#30 of 87 Old 10-20-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmaze View Post
This is very interesting....my dh and I have been Christians all our lives, but recently have questioned almost everything. We took this test online with a ton of questions that supposedly determine which religion or belief system would be best for you. We both took it separately and both got QUAKER!

We were really suprised! At first we laughed about it- thinking of the Quaker Oats guy (sorry...)

But we looked more into it and kinda liked what we found.

Would you mind posting that online *test* that you are talking about...I really would appreciate it! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page