~*~May Pagan Mamas Circle~*~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Beltane Everyone!!!

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 11:39 AM

Happy Beltane to you, too!

What are you all doing for Beltane? When I was little, we used to hang paper baskets full of violets on the neighbors' front doors. I have to confess that I haven't done that with dd, or planned anything else, for today. She got up super early after I had trouble sleeping all night, and I'm just doing my best not to be a cranky mom all day. . . .
#3 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 11:44 AM

does going outside and really, really enjoying the weather count? I had a monster tooth ache last night and didn't really sleep all that well. Maybe I'll be able to fit something else in there too, hopefully!

Happy Beltane!

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#4 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 11:48 AM

Happy Beltane! There was no dew in my lawn thir morning, but I rigged up a small maypole for us to dance around and later we'll make a fairy wedding cake and eat it in our fairy circle. I did a meditation there this morning, too. It's a beautiful spot on the wooded part of our property. Right in the midst of all the trees is a large area where no trees grow, only a circle of moss. It's pretty big, probably 20 feet across, and roundish, with a big rock almost in the middle.

Also, the weather is weird, too. Very eerie, twilighty, fairy-land like. We read the Thomas Rhymer story from Circle Round at breakfast, and I wonder if we went with him! The sun is shining vaguely through the overcast clouds in a way that shines an emmanent luminescence all around us.

Oh, and dh and I began our celebration last night as the sun was going down, and both girls were alseep.
#5 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 12:00 PM

Happy May Day!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#6 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 12:18 PM

Last night I decorated a bunch of tiny gift bags with butterfly, dragonfly & flower stickers, then wrapped up sugar cookies (one for each person in the household) and stuck those in the bags. This morning I put a small bunch of cut flowers in bags for my mom/dad & brother/sil and hung them on doorknobs before work. I left dh's on his pillow . This afternoon, dd and I will deliver the rest to my neighbors, my grandmother and some of grandma's friends.

I'm SOO excited I actually did this! I've wanted to for years but never pulled it off. Yay me! I'll post some pictures of the bags this evening. They turned out really cute.

We also last night made offerings to Walpurga as well as Frigga and Freya.

Gotta run ... work beckons.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#7 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 12:36 PM

I need to get outside before the dew evaporates.
#8 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 01:45 PM

Happy Happy Beltane!!!

I just got done making some flower crowns for my kids.

I got some ribbons so we can do the maypole dance. Though I think we are going to use the tree. We dont have a pole!

Depending on the weather, DH and I may celebrate under the moon.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#9 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 01:48 PM

We are going to make May Baskets for some friends and then I am going to take the boys around to deliver them. We are also going to read some stories in Circle Round. Other than that I have nothing planned.
#10 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 01:49 PM

HAPPY BELTANE

I would like to say DH and I will be celebrating it properly tonight, but I have the yeast beast going on as well as getting over a UTI. IT SUCKS! :
I said last month that our homeschool group was doing the May pole thing tomorrow, maybe I will put up the pole this evening when DH gets home and we will do the dance!
The kids and I have been leaving flowers for our elderly neighbor for years now on May day... we gotta go do that.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#11 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 01:53 PM

Happy Beltane to everyone who celebrates it and Happy May to everyone else! What a beautiful summery day we are going to have here--I was actually able to take the kids to school this morning in shorts. It was 85 degrees yesterday and is supposed to be again today. I have to work a bit this afternoon but the kids and I'll do something to celebrate after school.
#12 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 02:04 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Blessed Beltane!

We had a lovely Beltane celebration yesterday evening. The MIF clan joined a gathering of local pagans for a Beltane bonfire and May Pole Dance at a local park. See pics! It was really lovely. I made flower crowns and someone else had magic wands for the children. It was just a gorgeous evening with a fabulous goddess moon smiling down on us. Then DH and I tucked the wee heathens into bed and had our own private fertility ritual surrounded by candles

(Oh, and I added child pictures to my siggy )
#13 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 02:21 PM

What great pictures! Sounds like a wonderful celebration and your kids are so cute!
#14 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree
The kids and I have been leaving flowers for our elderly neighbor for years now on May day... we gotta go do that.
You know, when I was little my mom had me do this, I made baskets out of folded and glued construction paper, and put camellia blossoms in them and left them on an elderly neighbors porch. I have fond memories of it, but it seemed strange because I was the only one that I know of that did it! My mom is not the least bit pagan.
#15 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 02:48 PM

I was talking to my dh last night (or was it this morning?) about how I can remember making those little paper baskets and paper flowers at school for May Day when I was a kid. I even remember talking baout May Day. He doesn't remember that. It doesn't seem they do any of that anymore.
#16 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 02:49 PM

I should ask my mom about it, but if I call her then I'll have to explain why I haven't sent her any pics of ds lately.
#17 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 02:55 PM

That's terrible. I don't know--I think it is one of those traditions that was just something people held onto but have since dropped since most of us probably don't really know our neighbors anymore, you know?
#18 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 03:03 PM

Anyone have instructions for making little paper baskets? That's something we could do! Though it's raining now, and that cool fairy-like weather is gone.
#19 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 03:13 PM

May Day Blessings!!

I have a feeling that if I were to leave baskets on my neighbor's doors... and they were aware of any ties to paganism.... we would have a cross burned in our yard! The Bush signs were everywhere before the election, as well as 10 commandments & marriage=man+woman stickers.

I intended to make may baskets for my friends- and didn't get to. I'm starting to get things together for a trip to FL & it's been so hectic. I did, however, make a few flower fairies. I want to take a picture of them in the lilac or cherry when the weather clears up a little. I'm going to take a pic & set them all free! Our morning started out w/rain, it's raining again... so... no morning dew. Kinda muddy. We're going to make some oat scones. Dh & I are going to have to bring some boughs in from outside for our celebration tonight!

MomInFlux~ thank you for sharing your pics, so nice to see that many smiles!

I've loved reading about all of your celebrations! What a lovely day!

Bee well!! Kelly
#20 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 03:19 PM

I was just doing a little more research & found this... for all of you who are enjoying this big weather system that's dumping rain across the continent!
Quote:
Rolling in May Eve dew or washing face in pre-dawn May Day dew for health, luck, beauty. * Getting head and hair wet in Beltane rain to bless the head. * Blessing springs, ponds, other sacred waters with flowers, garlands, ribbons, other offerings. * Collecting sacred waters and scrying in sacred springs, wells, ponds, other waters
Off to bless my head!!
#21 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemama
Off to bless my head!!
#22 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 05:00 PM

good idea! will try to get out in it!
#23 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 05:01 PM

Happy Beltane...all you wonderful pagan mama's!

Ds was very excited that it's May Day. He's not quite sure why he's excited but most likely just because I sounded excited when I was telling him what May Day is. ahahhha.
It's so funny....Today is quite windy and it blew the flowers off of the rowan trees around. So, we get out of speech therapy and he looks down at the ground. Ds pauses and says in a slightly awed but confused voice..."SNOW!"

hahahahah.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Liz
#24 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 05:41 PM

When I made paper baskets it was a little bit like this...
basically I laid a piece of construction paper out, and snipped a little on the corners so I could fold up an edge on each side, then taped or stapled it together. I then taped/stapled a strip from one side to the other to make a handle.

I'm going to bring in some lilac blossoms, and float some lilac and heather blossoms on our little pondish thing.
#25 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 08:03 PM

I saw this quote on a mug today, by Sandra Blacksmith: "The way to avoid housework is to live outside."
#26 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmom
I saw this quote on a mug today, by Sandra Blacksmith: "The way to avoid housework is to live outside."
hee hee hee, that's sort of my life!

Here are a few pics:

Ravens at Mt. Hood

May crown

M and the goats taking the crown to the pond

Tumnus eats some crown

A lovely day

#27 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 09:00 PM

Mr Hippy man update: You are not going to believe this but....
I ran into Mr Hippy man in front of the mail boxes at 7pm. We exchanged pleasantries about ds being sleepy...and I realized that I'm just not interested in him. hahahahahhaha. Doh. I just didn't feel anything great from him. You know, no 'click', no vibe, ok.....Not even physical attraction.
Oh well.
Better luck next time. baby.

I should really start wearing my glasses.
#28 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 09:17 PM

lizc -

Salvia - what kind of goats are those? Someone wants to give us their la mancha whether, and they said he is friendly, a bit bossy, and has horns. Dh is concerned about the horns and Owen (who is 4). We have a saanan named Chase that is lonely since his brother died.
#29 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 09:24 PM

Yay! So fun! I am so excited to join you guys!! We just went out and planted some seeds in the yard (bachelor's buttons, larkspur, sweet pea, dill, and something else, I forget what ) It is wet here as well, so we got our heads blessed, too.

The best part is that the girls and I went round the yard and gathered together a May Day basket. So sad the lilacs are gone already. We left it on the neighbor's door, rang the bell and ran away. She popped out just after we made it back to our yard and made cheerful silly conversation about "catching us rascals" She said "I've always wanted to do that!"

The history with that neighbor has been rocky and my girls have been wanting to play with their boys (same ages). They had invited us to their Easter egg hunt on the spur of the moment because we were out at the same time. So, hopefully the foundation is laid. I told dd she could go ring their bell tomorrow after school and see if they wanted to come over and play. That would be so cool!

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#30 of 606 Old 05-01-2006, 09:29 PM

owensmom~
our goats are cashmere goats that a friend traded us for wine. Tumnus us a whether and yes they both have horns. Some days, Tumnus is just too darn frisky to be around. But other times, he is our sweet, wool buddy. Sometimes he looks like he is going to try to butt me, but he always stops just short. naughty!

Lizc~ ooo, that does happen! It's sure that he will soon be after you what with all the good Pagan vibes we have all be sending out!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page