~~August Pagan Mamas Circle~~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2006, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Babe
But with the feeling like I look fat I told my dh he had to tell me I am beautiful and have lots of sex with me. lol He didn't seem to mind. (BTW THAT has been lots of fun the past two weeks. OMG.)
LOL. I don't know what it is about prego sex but it is the best. Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2006, 01:58 PM

Salvia~ Great pictures. You have a lovely home and family. You are very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of our country.

13 moons~ Great news! Keep us posted.

MamaFae~ So sorry. You could do a personal ritual or one with friends. You should do something that is true to your heart.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:36 PM

Bella, enjoy that pregnancy sex, oh MAN is that the BEST!!!! *sigh*

Fae, i will see you on Saturday at the conference, and i want to give you a hug, if you are open to one.
if you need any help during this transition, anyone to talk to, do your laundry, dust your bookcase, let me know i would love to help you.

i think ifits at all possible to get it from your surgeon, planting your uterus under a new tree is a WONDERFUL idea. maybe a fruiting tree? so every spring you are able to see it blossom, and then see the limbs get heavy with fruit. being nourished with the same body that protected and helped nourish your babies. i think the cycle of life in nature is a very sacred thing and very wonderful to be an observer to, this way you could also be a part of it.

seriously, anything you need just ask, also alot of the mamas in the PDX thread rock for helping.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
Old 08-03-2006, 05:14 PM

I love this discussion of a non-reproductive stage. It is certainly true for me. I had my son, my last baby, when I was 25 years old and surely won't see menopause until 20 years after that. But I am still very much in the mother stage since I am raising my (not so) wee ones now.

MamaFae--I am sorry for your impending loss. My best friend had a hysterectomy last year when she was 33 and it was really difficult for her. She's didn't choose to do anything for closure, etc. so I don't have any experiences to offer there, but I do think it is a great idea to do something to acknowledge both the loss and the end of your child-bearing period as well as to celebrate the children you have. I'll let you know if I find anything. I like wombatclay's thought here too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay
Maybe a ritual centered around moving from a "physically fertile" mother to a "creatively fertile" mother?
Old 08-03-2006, 05:34 PM

subbing
Old 08-03-2006, 08:47 PM

Quote:
LeBoof! Where are you? the humidity here ain't nothin compared to Indy, let me tell you. I grew up on Lake Michigan, and THAT, my friend, is humidity. But I get your point. Unless you are in Houston, then you do get the sweaty humidity...:
I'm actually a couple of hours north of Houston in Huntsville. I think my main problem with the humidity is that I grew up in places like Colorado and Arizona. VERY dry...I know there are more humid places, but I'm not sure I want to go there

Hehe...yep. I remember when I first started "showing" with our first. My husband paid me the nicest compliment. He told me that before we'd met he couldn't imagine any woman ever being sexy while pregnant...and that when I got pregnant he couldn't imagine anything sexier.

LeBoof
Old 08-03-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBoof
Hehe...yep. I remember when I first started "showing" with our first. My husband paid me the nicest compliment. He told me that before we'd met he couldn't imagine any woman ever being sexy while pregnant...and that when I got pregnant he couldn't imagine anything sexier.

LeBoof
How incredibly sweet! I never had that good pregancy sex...my pregnancies were all of the "don't even THINK about trying to touch me" variety. I missed out, man.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia
I've been thinking about this and I think you are exactly right! Just because a woman has no more babies certainly doesn't mean they stop mothering! With young children in our nests, we have many years to come in that role!

That said, it is an important transition and should be honored. I did some searching for rites of passage, but they all go from marriage/birth to crone. I'll keep looking or should we make up our own ceremony?
I'll do some looking for what we might have around here for something along these lines. I did like the suggestion that someoe else made for planting a fruit tree though. It seems appropriate somehow.

If we can't find anything, I say we just make up our own ceremony

LeBoof
Old 08-03-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13moons
How incredibly sweet! I never had that good pregancy sex...my pregnancies were all of the "don't even THINK about trying to touch me" variety. I missed out, man.

you're not alone. we didn't have sex during my pregnancies because dh just couldn't handle the fact that there was a living being inside of me. It was difficult for me because my ultra-sensitive emotions took that as I was undesirable and unwanted. I know that's not true, but you know those hormones! Unfortunately, (or fortunately?), this was the only aspect of my pregnancies I wish were different.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Heket- Where are you!???!?! How close to L.A. are you? I will be staying in the Valley, because my brother is housesitting for an actor he has worked with, but I will be in L.A. alot over the weekend. If you are close maybe we could meet for coffee or something? I don't know if Scott works this weekend at all so I might have time to kill on my own even.
PM me!
I'm on the eastern side of LA county, prolly an hour from the Valley. When my parents first moved us here, I lived in the Valley -- right at the height of the 80s "Valley Girl" (which was funny, since we moved from NYC. Let me tell you, Valley girl and Bronx speak do not mix. ) Anyway, I'll be PMing you -- dd's birthday is Friday, so all the visits and such from ILs has been moved to Saturday (I'm not up for this. ) I might have some time on Sunday though.

Keep those ritual ideas of womanhood milestones coming. I'm enjoying it! :
Old 08-03-2006, 10:39 PM

Not to completely sidetrack the whole pregnancy sex thing but I have a question for y'all. How do you strengthen your intuitive side? I guess I kind of mean toward the divination side of paganism but not neccessarily. Like even psychic abilities, if you have them. What kinds of things have helped you connect with the goddess and be more intuitive about what she can do/wants to do for you. Does that make sense? I'm confusing myself, I think. Any thoughts?

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:56 PM

sorry about this quick and hasty reply, about to leave work...

meditating has helped me listen to that quiet inner voice. once I started doing that and some journaling, it seems it was easier to tap into the hidden realm.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

MamaFae~ I am sorry you have to go through this, but I do like the idea of asking for your uterus. The idea of nourishing the Earth is so powerful. Another idea would be to plant a garden over it with herbs for both ritual and cooking. A way to nurture your family even more.

Christy~Meditation also works for me....especially around trees and under the moon.

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
Old 08-04-2006, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyM26
How do you strengthen your intuitive side? I guess I kind of mean toward the divination side of paganism but not neccessarily. Like even psychic abilities, if you have them. What kinds of things have helped you connect with the goddess and be more intuitive about what she can do/wants to do for you. Does that make sense? I'm confusing myself, I think. Any thoughts?
Go out in Nature and just be with Her. I grew up very rural, connected to the land. I spent a lot of time drumming and talking to trees. We grew many things every year. I loved it.

I know it may seem weird. My mother certainly thought so, but it really connected me to the earth and I don't think it is ever to late to start. Plus once you connect to Her, it is a forever bond. Start getting in tuned to the cycle of life.

Celebrate the Sabbats and learn about them. Research different paths and find what is true to you. Celebrate and investigate your ancestry, and use what I say that is true to you, but leave the rest. Blessings to you on your journey.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Not to completely sidetrack the whole pregnancy sex thing but I have a question for y'all.
Personally, I think we like to be sidetracked!

Quote:
How do you strengthen your intuitive side? I guess I kind of mean toward the divination side of paganism but not necessarily. Like even psychic abilities, if you have them. What kinds of things have helped you connect with the goddess and be more intuitive about what she can do/wants to do for you. Does that make sense? I'm confusing myself, I think. Any thoughts?
Do you feel a draw toward tarot? Or something else? I agree with Mama Kass and Heket- being quite-spending time looking and listening- reading. I think it takes so much peace and solitude and patience! As mothers, where the bleep do we get those blessed things?!?! As with Mama Kass, I am drawn to Nature and I need to be outside and have peaceful time. Tonight, it was taking a short walk with my 2 year old- watching the wheat fields and listening to the sounds as the wind blows.

I recently had a physic reading for the first time and it gave me surprising insight and helpful energy. The reader is a MDC mama and I recommend her: Mandi

I am often wondering what the goddess/universe can do/wants to do for me. Maybe it comes down to simple things: asking.

Read, have fun, and follow your instincts.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 08-04-2006, 01:38 AM

O.k., topping myself because I am so darn flexible! Even the trainer at the gym said I was last night! (this especially for you, 13moons!)

wombatclay~ thank you for the info about the "Four Fold Path"- I did a quick google and there is lots of stuff to look into. It makes sense to me that the Three Fold Path is rather simplified. When you think about how only in recent history women have gained power to rule their own bodies- to have abortions- to use birth control- or not- I think it is fair to say that a new aspect of womanhood would bloom.

It was not unusual that two hundred years ago women would have pregnancies from the time they were married until they entered menopause. For most women today this is no longer the case- so there are a number of years that they are fertile but no longer having babies. Personally, I will consider myself still in the Mother phase of life. When does crone start? At menopause? Doesn't that seem young to think of yourself as a crone?

Sorry, I ramble. Hope someone, besides myself, can follow what I am saying.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 08-04-2006, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Personally, I will consider myself still in the Mother phase of life. When does crone start? At menopause? Doesn't that seem young to think of yourself as a crone?

Sorry, I ramble. Hope someone, besides myself, can follow what I am saying.
I've always thought of Crone as starting with menopause but you have some good points. Although if you think of active motherhood as lasting until the children are grown and moving on, then I think the vast majority of women would still be mothering up until or even beyond menopause depending on when it happens for them. What is the average age for menopause?

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

Old 08-04-2006, 02:18 AM

I'm going on a camping trip with my kids spiral scouts circle tomorrow. It's going to be super primitive 1.5 hours out of denver into the mountains with no amenities. This is going to be a far cry from our last camping trip which was in a state park in the city and we camped right across from the bathrooms

Anyway I'm looking forward to leaving all my worries behind and having a good time with a bunch of happy Pagans. Even better I get to carpool with another unschooling pagan mom so it's fun time for mommy

See you all next week, I think my inbox is going to fill up

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 AM

Quote:
It was not unusual that two hundred years ago women would have pregnancies from the time they were married until they entered menopause.
Omg, this totally strikes home with me...

Ok, as usual with this group, let me digress...

In the last two weeks, I've been taking ds in a stroller on an evening walk to fall asleep (dh started this, and I've taken over, esp. as I've discovered that I lost a pound doing so... )

So I was talking with ds and the moon as we walk. My mother keeps talking to me about a spirit who contact her -- dh's and my next child (she keeps dreaming of babies... : ) Anyway, I'm talking to ds and Luna about things, Lammas and such... One of the things that came up is how I'm not ready for another spirit to enter our family right now. If it meant that this spirit were to come later, that's fine. We're not in a place right now where we're ready to have dc #3. My mother gave birth at 37, my grandmother at 44 -- I could see myself giving birth in a few yeas as a late birth that leads to cronehood...

I find it so funny how things in my life and this thread mesh....
Old 08-04-2006, 03:09 AM

Quote:
O.k., topping myself because I am so darn flexible! Even the trainer at the gym said I was last night! (this especially for you, 13moons!)
Thanks for that Salvia! And of course I follow what you're saying there.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:15 AM

Sidetracking us briefly again, a couple months ago we were talking about henna and woad dyeing and someone posted a link to a site about woad dying that sold kits and stuff. Any chance anyone remembers or bookmarked that link? I've been searching and can't find it....
Old 08-04-2006, 04:45 AM

5 pages! Sheesh!

Some sad news... dd wants to go to school. W are getting it all squared away so she can go. I will have to go back to work once a week (this tine I will do some Hospice care). I am not so sad that she wants school, as I am suddenly realizing, she doesn't need me like before. I am not ready to let her go and grow up. :

My friends and I had a fun Lammas. Had a pot luck, made vision boards. It was nice.
Salvia: beautiful pictures!
I love the idea of planting a fruit tree over your uterus, mamafea.
I will have to check out the free tarot reading site.
I love love love pregnant sex. And speaking of that, dh and I have been like rabbits! I don't think we have been this busy in years! :

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 08-04-2006, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

13moons~Is this is what you are looking for? I love that site.

mamaofthree~ That would be hard, the letting go. Maybe, though, she will not like school as much when she gets there, yk? I will be thinking of you.

Okay, sidetracking again, lol. I found a great musician that I want to share. His music is acoustic, but so good. Damh the Bard If you have Quicktime, click on the MP3 page. I like all of it

Hopefully, if all goes "according to plan", dh and I will be like rabbits starting Monday night!!! Woo-hoo!

Old 08-04-2006, 11:04 AM

Emmama- thanks for that link! I usually get my supply of woad and henna at the Limner's stall at Pennsic, but since we're not going this year and we didn't go last year...my "pretties" cabinet was starting to look more than a little bare!

MamaFae- even if the hospital doesn't let you take your uterus, the fruit tree idea sounds like it could be really powerful (some medical centers have rules about "surgical byproducts" and wont let private people take them...however, you can petition them from a "religious obligation" angle and most places will make an exception). Or maybe a nut tree? Acorns or hazelnuts of wisdom? Walnuts that hold a little life in their womb-like shells?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 08-04-2006, 11:07 AM

Eeeeeek lots to read already!!! Happy August ladies.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

wombatclay-You are SCAdian too!? I am in Aethelmearc and we are not going to Pennsic either....hope to make in next year though, if we can save up enough for shopping, lol.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:16 PM

Is SCA anyhting like Rennisance faire?

We love to the PA ren faire. We try to go at least once a year. It's so much fun. We really want to get dressed up but, I can never find anything that is within our price range and I can't sew worth a darn(I plan on learning someday though). One day we will dress up though. We always find so much to do. Dh has a love affair with the blacksmithing shop...he loves swords. I just love the whole feel of the shire. It seems slower then the rest of the world.

Funny story...on Lammas we went out to dinner and I had planned on doing the actual celebration a couple of days later. I didn't realize it at the time but, I ended up ordering kabobs for dinner...I thought it was funny that I did it unconciously.

We're going to go camping sometime in the fall by ourselves. Our county also does a big sleep under the stars celebration in October and May. It's like camping with bathrooms.. and food vendors(but we always bring our own food)

I would love to see some altar pictures if anyone has any to share. We have yet to have a permenent family altar. One day soon we are going to make candles for ours. A little bit at a time, you know?

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
Old 08-04-2006, 01:28 PM

Yup, I'm a SCAdian. I'm in the Dominion of Myrkfaelinn. Technically part of Aethelmearc, but, well...Myrkfaelinn is a really old group and the reason charters now have to be written in English. Loooong ago the folks at Cornell decided to start an SCA group based on Icelandic/Scandinavian culture. So they sent their charter in written in old Icelandic. The board assumed a few things, didn't translate the charter, and approved it.

Well, at the time Myrkfaelinn was part of the East Kingdom and in true period Icelandic style the charter swore allegiance to the actual King of the East (as a "nice guy who gives us pretty plunder"), rather than to the Kingdom. So when that particular king stepped down Myrkfaelinn was not beholden to the next king. It's caused a few problems with the SCA admins over the years but it's a valid legal document, a valid historical practice, and one great story when dragged out over a campfire!

We'll have to get together at war next year!

Quote:
Is SCA anyhting like Rennisance faire?
Sort of, but not exactly. You can learn more about the SCA at http://www.sca.org/ and about Pennsic (the biggest annual event) at http://www.pennsic.net. The main difference between the SCA and a Ren Faire is that the SCA is totally participatory while a Ren Faire is a spectator event.

Although some SCA events are designed to show off what we do/who we are, most SCA events assume that everyone will participate. Everyone will wear their best attempt at period costume (most groups have a selection of "loaner garb" for people who don't have their own), behave in an appropriate manner, and participate in period activities. At a Ren Faire, some people are paid to entertain others, full participation by "guests" is encouraged but not expected, and a lot of the activity is "staged". For example, in the SCA if there are two knights fighting the winner is not known in advance. At a Ren Faire you can bet the fellow in the shiny black armor with the name "Sir Sneaky" is gonna lose!

If you like Ren faires though, check to see if there is an SCA group near you. They often meet weekly or monthly and I've found the SCA in general to be VERY pagan friendly.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 08-04-2006, 01:46 PM

I did the free on-line tarot reading. The first time it made no sence what so ever. So I re did it and it was right on.

OK so I have to get a job. I have been a full time SAHM now for a year. The last hospital I worked at has been bought out and turned into a nursing home, none of my old co-workers or supervisiors work there, AND I can't honestly even remember any of them. DH remebered my last supervisiors name. The hospital I worked at before that one was temporarly closed and restructed and bought by another company. So again no ex-co-workers or supervisiors. I did find a number in my address book of an ex-co worker from there, but it has been like 4 years since we talked. I am not sure if she will want to be a reference. I have some mama friends who would happily do it, but I think I need some professional refernces too. Plus how can they even verify I worked anywhere? : UGH! I really need to get the job. :

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 08-04-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Plus how can they even verify I worked anywhere?
Hmmmm....years ago I worked at Beth Israel Deaconess (in Boston) and part of my job was to do background verifications on job applicants. Just put the places you worked and the dates on your resume and leave the rest to them. I'm sure they'll have someone doing checks and they can confirm your employment through the government if necessary. With all the re-organization going on this is something I'm sure they're familiar with!

I hope the job search goes quickly and easily!

User Tag List