A crunchy wedding - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 06-05-2003, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a local candlemaker make candles for the church with dried flowers on the sides that I chose myself. We burn the main candle on our anniversary each year. I also had a local artist create small photo albums of handmade paper filled with flowers.

My bouquet was from a florist but was full of wildflowers. I made my own head piece wreath, and my flowergirls' wreaths. I wanted to be barefoot but my mom put her foot down. My bridal portraits were done barefoot in a park where I used to be a park ranger.

I wrote our entire wedding ceremony from start to finish. Since we are both outdoorsy people, I included river metaphors all throughout the service. It was pretty neat when it all came together.

Some ideas for being thrifty...our portraits were done by a "semi-professional" hobby photographer, much cheaper than the other alternatives. The catering was done by friend of the family. The harp player played as a gift to our family, since she was a friend, as did the pianist and the guitar player.

GL!
#32 of 34 Old 06-07-2003, 09:38 PM

I didn't think about it til now, but I guess we had a crunchy wedding. It was outside and we had a few restaurants in town make the food. It was mostly vegetarian. I hired a seamstress to make my dress, which was not white, it had color in it, including trimmed with gold rope. We had a hobby photographer, who did great, and she let us keep the negatives. I designed the invitations and had them printed locally on recycled paper. We got a "party" cake instead of a wedding cake. It fed 40 people, which is what we invited, and cost only $60. An official wedding cake for 40 people started at $300. Ours looked like a wedding cake - not sure why it was so much cheaper. I think bcs of the name. It was tiered and everything. I had whatever fresh flowers were availalbe tossed on top of the cake for an extra $5 and used leftover iridescent ribbon (from my dress) to go around each tier. It all turned out very nice.

BTW, no priest or preacher or minister in town (Flagstaff AZ) would marry us outside. They flatout refused (Episcopal, Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, etc. -I called them alleventually). We went with a Unity church whose officiator was delighted that it was outside. So get that straight right away with whoever you choose.
#33 of 34 Old 06-07-2003, 10:52 PM

I remember seeing something in Organic Living magazine about Organic Weddings. They have recycled invitations and such and lovely wedding dresses. I'll do a search and get back to you.

~Melissa
#34 of 34 Old 06-07-2003, 10:54 PM

Yep, it's www.organicweddings.com. Best of luck and congratulations!

~Melissa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page