Alternate lyrics for "Jesus loves the little children"? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

#31 of 48 Old 08-22-2006, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
every child in every land, Jesus holds them in His hand
Here's a question. Does he really hold them in His hand? Isn't that an illustration? I mean, are Jesus hands THAT big? Isn't that giving them a false picture? Jesus isn't sitting there will millions of little kids in His hands.

And yes, there is a huge oral tradition in the Jewish faith. That is what I'm asking though. Can they just change it because they no longer like it or don't like it's wordings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 08-22-2006, 02:08 PM

Just a reminder that the Spirituality Forum is meant for sharing and support.

If you would like to discuss religious songs and the issue of multiculturalism you can use the Religious Studies Forum to do that. Please read the RS guidelines before posting.

~Heartmama

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#33 of 48 Old 08-22-2006, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellym
Here's a question. Does he really hold them in His hand? Isn't that an illustration? I mean, are Jesus hands THAT big? Isn't that giving them a false picture? Jesus isn't sitting there will millions of little kids in His hands.
Erm...it's an expression. The Bible doesn't literally "tell me so" that Jesus loves me, there isn't a literal fountain flowing deep and wide, and there's not really a little cradle rocking tonight in glory. God isn't literally a big walled fortress, the stars from the heaven didn't actually "look" down from the sky at the little Lord Jesus, and I don't believe for a second that "no crying" he made.

I'm starting to feel like this is all getting a little futile, so I am going to bow out for now I think.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#34 of 48 Old 08-22-2006, 02:10 PM

I came in to post AnnetteMarie's version.
#35 of 48 Old 08-22-2006, 02:13 PM

Sorry, heartmama--I crossposted.

afishwithabike, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's ever heard of "my" version!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#36 of 48 Old 08-22-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu
It's not like you are saying highly offensive terms such as "orientals" and other terms I won't mention here.
This is totally off-topic, and I apologize, but I wanted to ask about this. I didn't know this was offensive. I don't use the word, but there is a grocery store down the street from me called the "Oriental Market." That's what's on the sign in the window, and all of the people working there are Asian (not sure from what country, though). Is "oriental" offensive depending on its usage? I'm assuming it's not offensive to the people who work in/own the store, seeing as how they put it in their own window. But I'm not sure...can you clarify?

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#37 of 48 Old 08-22-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Do you happen to go to a UU or a Episcopalian church?
Why on Earth does THAT matter?
#38 of 48 Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 PM

OK...Given your explanation. I say change it. Those terms could be offensive to some. I think it is great that you care enough to change it.

Me (45)  belly.gif  , DH (43)     yikes2.gif,   DS (8)  geek.gif autismribbon.gif,   DS (5) bikenew.gif,  and  November 20111sttri.gif

#39 of 48 Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Personally, I don't feel it's the Sunday School teachers responsibility to teach the kids in this way. This is the parents job, not the Sunday School teachers. I would be VERY offended (and I'm sure there will be some of the parents in your classroom who will agree) if my child came home singing one of these variations. While I think that they are great (love the one about all the children in the land, Jesus holds them in His hands) I don't think it's the Sunday School teachers place to step in and teach this way. Just my personal opinion

:
Why do you feel it isn't the Sunday School teacher's job to teach them a newer version? We let them teach religious instruction, don't we? That is their "job". I would much rather a newer better version of an outdated song be taught then some crazy interpretation on Christianity. I could only hope my boys would have a Sunday School teacher who would be sensitive enough to teach them a newer and more loving version.

Honestly, I think the reason you are offended is b/c it is different than what you grew up singing. Heaven forbid we ever "mess with the classics"!

Speaking of classics, OT, I know, but does anyone remember "Marching in the Lord's Army"--talk about needing a rewrite!

Quote:
Ok, another question. To ME, with the B~I~B~L~E, to say "stand alone" means that if no one else was standing on the Word of God, that you would. I agree with 'standing strong' but I always understood 'stand alone' to mean that if no one else was standing, I would.
When I was a kid, I thought this meant that I was //literally// standing on the Bible.

Curtis
#40 of 48 Old 08-23-2006, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Then in that case, just don't sing the song at all. If you don't like it, don't incorporate it as a 'filler'. Sing Deep & Wide (can't get more 'generic' than that! Doesn't mention Jesus or God or ANYTHING spiritual). Teach them the B~I~B~L~E or a million other songs. Why do you feel the need to change these lyrics and teach them this 'multiculturalism'?
I am taking deep deep breaths right now so I don't rant.

Why do I feel the need to teach multiculturism? because Jesus specifically reached out to the Jews AND the Gentiles and the Samaratins and all the other "different" people. The apostles spoke in tongues so that people from all nations could understand them.

However, none of that was part of my original post. I strongly suspect that if we discuss this any more we'll violate the terms of this particular forum. If you want to debate the idea of multiculturism in Sunday School, I believe the Religious Studies forum is more appropriate

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#41 of 48 Old 08-23-2006, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

P.S. Neither UU nor Episcopalian. Not sure how it's relevant.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#42 of 48 Old 08-23-2006, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri
Seems to me that if the parents don't want these lessons taught, they'd not have them in Sunday school.

I like the Gaia version, of course. Might have to change that "turning out the light" line though. I don't know that we need to lay quite that heavy a load on little kids while teaching them to care for our Earth home.
Oh, I just made that up on the spur of the moment.
#43 of 48 Old 08-23-2006, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6
P.S. Neither UU nor Episcopalian. Not sure how it's relevant.
I wonder if it means that us Episcopos are more likely to be liberal, kind, open and striving for a change to antiquated ideals in the church?

If so, then !

PROUD Episcopalian here!

To the OP: Change them. They bothered me as a child. I knew no yellow or red people.
#44 of 48 Old 08-26-2006, 02:02 AM

Just to state something about the "origional" lyrics of Jesus loves the little children. My absolute BEST friend growing up has a French mother and a father from the island of Camaroon. He is a dark man and her mother has rosy undertones. My dear friend NEVER liked singing this song and would often stand with arms crossed when people suggested it be sung. I know these lyrics HURT people. This is when we discovered alternate lyrics and used them.

Being the leader? Yeah you can choose what is to be sung but if you EVER do a time where the children pick songs (as our church often did) it will likely come up. Of course Father Abraham was a HUGE fave by MANY a child and MANY a teacher because the children could get the wiggles out in a constructive way.
#45 of 48 Old 08-28-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie
We say an alternate "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep" prayer, too. (Thy angels guard me through the night and wake me with the morning light.")
This is a lovely alternative. as a child it would freak me out to think about dying before I wake.
#46 of 48 Old 08-28-2006, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishwithabike
Just to state something about the "original" lyrics of Jesus loves the little children. My absolute BEST friend growing up has a French mother and a father from the island of Camaroon. He is a dark man and her mother has rosy undertones. My dear friend NEVER liked singing this song and would often stand with arms crossed when people suggested it be sung. I know these lyrics HURT people. This is when we discovered alternate lyrics and used them.
Wow, what a powerful story! This is exactly why I don't want to sing this song. Our church is mostly white, but not entirely. We have a fairly large number of Asian families who are part of our congregation, and several families from Africa. Our children need a more inclusive song.

#47 of 48 Old 08-28-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah
This is totally off-topic, and I apologize, but I wanted to ask about this. I didn't know this was offensive. I don't use the word, but there is a grocery store down the street from me called the "Oriental Market." That's what's on the sign in the window, and all of the people working there are Asian (not sure from what country, though). Is "oriental" offensive depending on its usage? I'm assuming it's not offensive to the people who work in/own the store, seeing as how they put it in their own window. But I'm not sure...can you clarify?
Things can be Oriental (rugs)...people are Asian.
#48 of 48 Old 07-03-2014, 04:53 PM

Interesting (and sometimes frustrating) conversation on this topic.

I'm the organist and choir director at my church, and we recently started singing this song (traditional lyrics) in the middle of the service as the children processed into the church from their Sunday School classes. The idea that the words might be found offensive never even crossed my mind (a 48 year old "white" person). However, this exact point was raised by, of all people, my (Puerto Rican) fiancé. He did some research and discovered these lyrics which we plan to start using in place of the old lyrics:

Every color, every race,
All are covered by his grace,
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

I do like the version that anettemarie shared also:

Every child in every land,
Jesus holds them in His hand,
Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Thanks to all who have expressed their opinions on this topic. I think it's important to hold on to traditions that are important, but also to think about how we express ourselves, and what our words might be saying to others, despite their original intent.

-Another proud Episcopalian!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page