~*~*Pagan Mamas September Circle*~*~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 427 Old 09-02-2006, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my~hearts~light~ to me your dream was the manifestation of your desires. Put them to the Goddess/Universe and you will have your desire.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#62 of 427 Old 09-02-2006, 10:02 PM

Ita
#63 of 427 Old 09-02-2006, 10:08 PM

fullofgrace~ congrats on being the Granola ambassador!

#64 of 427 Old 09-02-2006, 10:33 PM

How possible is it to concieve with an IUD and still have a cycle? I'm guessing the odds aren't good but I sure have been feeling unwell lately.
#65 of 427 Old 09-02-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon
honey spice loaf recipe

4 cups bread flour (which I do tend to use for my machine)
1 tbs gluten flour
gluten flour.....what is gluten flour? is it the same as just wheat gluten? can i use that instead? i have that around the house, though i've never used it yet.

that bread sounds like a perfect mabon bread!

can you tell i'm waaaaaaaaay behind reading this list?

Maiasaura

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#66 of 427 Old 09-02-2006, 11:07 PM

what does ETA mean?? i know most of the abbreviations, and can usually guess the rest, but that one has me stumped.

anyway, Mabon......i've been taking a monthly Elementals class with members of a local coven, and the people in the class are having a Mabon rite. also our Pagan playgroup will be doing a small ritual, with craft and food of course! and i think i will do a small family home thingy with ds, just the two of us. since he's gotten older, we've been doing so much public rituals! i miss the little family ones.

oh, his baby blessing-- wasn't so much of a naming ceremony as an introduction to the gods and the universe. we cast circle and all the usual things that go with that, and i had bought some really nice beads and had them blessed with ocean water and sand (we lived at the beach at the time), then each person in circle picked a bead as the bowl was passed, and put a gift into the bead, such as compassion, laughter, courage, stuff like that, and then later i had a necklace made of it. i still have it, but ds doesn't even know about it (or remember). i plan to give it to him at his coming-of-age, if he chooses to have one. i want him to have one; i hope he wants one!
hope that helps.

i SO wish people would put where they are actually from near their sigs. it's hard to imagine when someone describes the weather and i have no idea where they are! : not just on this board, though; it's all through MDC.
here in Asheville, NC, it's in the mid-high 70s in the day (finally! no more 90s!) and around 60 at night. i can't wait; about another month and i can put the flannel sheets on!

we put the fall decorations up today. i couldn't stand it anymore!!

Mabon blessings,
Maiasaura WinterHeart

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#67 of 427 Old 09-02-2006, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia
Damn, I'm good- three minutes! Should have read the thread sooner.
Yeah and they actually had left without turning my water back on. I had to call the after hours number and tell them to come back out. He was sooo apologetic. And cute. And hosed down my open window checking the water pressure with the hose. Cute but dumb, I guess.

mercyn, ETA is Edited To Add. Your ds's baby blessing sounds wonderful! I know what you mean about the weather/location thing. I'm usually pretty good at remembering once someone's mentioned it a couple times, but they're a lot of us! I know I can name the general area where at least 9 or 10 of us on this thread live, but everywhere else (besides my other MDC home) I'm lost. I'm in Central-ish CA 20 minutes from the coast, but it's 20 minutes over some hills, so I don't get the sea weather as much. It's in the 90s during the day here still but we are finally dropping to the low 60s at night! That is how I know fall is coming. I can't remember the last time it rained though and boy I would love some of that! I might follow your lead on those fall decorations...
#68 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13moons
Cute but dumb, I guess.
hhhmmm, cute and dumb....sometimes me likes 'em that way. Well, at least one very fun summer when I was 20 I did! :

#69 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
hhhmmm, cute and dumb....sometimes me likes 'em that way. Well, at least one very fun summer when I was 20 I did! :
Lucky--that sounds fun! The summer I was 20, I'd been married for a year and a half and gave birth to my first daughter. Okay, I guess that's pretty darn lucky too.
#70 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
fullofgrace~ congrats on being the Granola ambassador!
Thanks! I've been dubbed the Geeky Granola Ambassador , and will be answering the How To type stuff in Q&A.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#71 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Most importantly, you have a camera now 13moons, so did you snap a picture??
#72 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 10:35 AM

Mhl~that sounds like a soothing dream! I would love that!

I'll catch up on the rest later...

subbing!

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#73 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13moons
The summer I was 20, I'd been married for a year and a half and gave birth to my first daughter. Okay, I guess that's pretty darn lucky too.
Ahhh. To be age 20 again. Brings memories for me, too. I got married at 20, and gave birth to my first child, a daughter, 13 months later.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#74 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 01:04 PM

omg that is so young (to me!). at 20 i hadn't even BEGUN my drinking career yet, and i was already pretty steeped in it. i was in my first band then, i am pretty sure.
re: the cute but dumb guy: when i was younger, they called it "young, dumb and full of ______" i am not going to fill that in but you can imagine; it rhymes...yuck...it's pretty crude, i think.

but then i had my ds at age 41; i'll be forty-SEVEN this november!! yikes!!!

so i got my stuff out of the way when i was young. and yep, i had my 'ho moments, too

thanks for clarifying the ETA.
going to visit my mom at the beach where it is still quite summery. yuck on the weather, but i miss my mommy!

Maiasaura

#75 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 01:58 PM

Hey, I got married young too. I was 18 and I had my dd just before I turned 22. :
I turn 34 in 3 days.

I live in Southern Arizona.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#76 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 02:26 PM

Ah, 20.... lol

mercyn, I'm in Alaska. Ketchikan.

I realized yesterday how perfectly Mother Nature provided for my emotional needs this year. In April/May, I started yearning for summer - hot temps, lots of sun, etc. Well, that wasn't happening here. BUT we left the end of June for an extended visit w/my mom in KS. The perfect summer! Then, as August rolled around, I started feeling a pull for autumn. Of course, it was still very much summer in KS, but we came back to AK and autumn was here waiting for us!

According to DH, there wasn't much of a summer up here this year, cool and rainy all the way through. So it worked perfectly for the kids and me to have that long visit and come back home for fall.

I dunno, I'm jsut feeling grateful and groovy lately. Even when, in years past, I would have been grumpy and tired of the mist/rain that is a near constant here. I'm still diggin' it!

On a down note, I went to the bookstore yesterday (yes, THE - there's only one!) to try to find some paganism books. NOTHING. A whole shelf of Christianity stuff, but not one pagan resource. *sigh* So... anyone have any good online recommendations? I'd prefer to support a small business, if possible. Oh! And I also am searching for a pagan calendar (like you hang on the wall, kwim?) and a place to buy smudge sticks. Any recs? Thanks!

I really like the idea of starting a good morning ritual! I think we'll steal it, if that's okay. For the longest time, I've not done anything along those lines b/c I wanted to do it "right". I've finally realized that I need to just do it, and it can be altered as needed. Duh. lol So I think that we'll start that off tomorrow.

Oh, one last question: what books have you found to be most useful in application? By which I mean, eventually I will want to enrich my knowledge of theory... but right now, I'm just jumping in. So which books have you found to be most practical?

Aaagh, kids are riling up. Gotta go before we have issues. Hopefully I'll bbl when theyr'e napping.

Have a great day, mamas!

K
#77 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 02:27 PM

FOUR PAGES?!??!? ack!

We're still refinishing our floors (thanks to the rain the poly just isn't curing as quickly as we'd hoped) so our computer is still in a box in the kitchen. Man do I miss having internet access at home! I'm at work now...more later when I can get our home system up and running and I can finally read the thread.

Ahhh, one message caught my eye...

Upstate NY (Ithaca), and it's been raining for three days straight. But it's nice and autumnal and I've pulled out a few sweaters. Last night we had a yummy potato/corn/chicken chowder with a butternut squash pie. Mmmmmmm....

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#78 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 02:52 PM

Gulf coast Florida here. Married at 24, preggie at 27, now at 28.

Speaking of cuteness in boys, when I was putzing around the Oregon Country Fair website (which I found on the Peace Meal Farm blog link that was posted way back on page 1), I started clicking on the vendor pages. (Somebody was avoiding writing lesson plans yesterday...) And I found this link. Knowing that men in kilts is something many of us, ahem, admire, I thought it would be appropriate to share. I almost have dh convinced that he totally wants one for Christmas.

Kinsey, AK looks beautiful! And as far as just jumping in, I like Life Magic and Spiral Dance.
#79 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 02:53 PM

western ny, near PA border.

lived here for 10 yrs love it.
still a little rainy but beautiful otherwise. enjoying blankets and snuggling

yep, wheat gluten would work.

I hope to order circle round after pay day....haven't looked elsewhere, but our local bookstore didn't have anything useful.
]
did you know they made "everything paganism book"?
weird!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#80 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 03:00 PM

Just read dh's horoscope (for last week, d'oh!), but I thought this quote was really lovely:

"In every work of genius we recognize our own rejected thoughts," wrote American essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson. "They come back to us with a certain alienated majesty."

This was for taurus, btw.

I got married at 21, and we'd been together 4.5 years already. Eek! Didn't have Owen 'til I was 4 days shy of 30, though.

I live in the cascade foothills of oregon.
#81 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 03:38 PM

Wow- friends of ours went to Europe for a month and told us to go pick their veggie garden. Right now I've got so many beautiful zuks, tomatoes, egg plants, peppers and basil! I'm going to make tomato sauce and zuk bread I think.

I didn't get married until I was 27 and had my first dd at 30, second at 34 and now I'm 36. I met my hubby when I was 21 and we've been together since then. I had few boyfriends before then and the summer of archeaology work and fun with the cute and dumb guy in Western PA is a fond memory. Brendon, are you close to Ripley? I did some archeaology work near there once.

Kinsey:
This is my favorite calendar- I always get the day journal, but they also have a wall calendar.

I like John Matthews books such as this one. Circle Round is great- it has wonderful activities. I also use The New Book of Goddesses and Heroines by Monaghan a lot.

Better get into the kitchen!

#82 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 03:59 PM

Oops, I forgot to look for the Sept thread. duh.

You know what I want to do this autumn? Something that I haven't done in years. Yes, years. Put it this way, we're not supposed to talk about it on mdc. giggle.
#83 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 04:03 PM

We're in SE/coastal Georgia and dear Gods is it HOT today! I am SOOOO ready for cooler weather, although I'm thinking my clothesline will be less effective when it's not 90+ outside. We're just hoping for an electric bill less than $350 this month ... we had 2 in a row like that and it's been a struggle. :

DH and I met when I was 31, got married when I was 32, I had dd when I was 33, and I'll be 36 this month. : It's been a busy few years!

Feeling kind of crappy today, so I'll come back later with some book suggestions.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#84 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 04:34 PM

okay, just made it through the thread...let's see if I can do this in one fell swoop!

Welcome new-to-the-thread-mamas!

Yay on the pregnancies! I'm going to be pulling out the ritual stops this month to see if another little one might like to join our family. I had planned something similar before getting pregnant with dd but she arrived before I could do the ritual!

13moons- love the walnut hunt idea! We do something similar for Yule...instead of an "advent" calendar I use walnuts. I empty them, put a little tiny meditation note or rune inside, glue the nut shut, and gild it with a little gold paint. Then the nuts hang on a branch or sit in a bowl and we open one each night after lighting a candle. DD is going to be old enough this year to really participate and I can't wait!

hellokitty: thanks for the head's up about the class! I didn't know about the B&N university but it seems like fun. And I signed up for the Simplify Your Life class too since I've already got the booK!

M~H~L- good luck with the ritual robes. The first name that popped into mind was "Hera Apparent" (like heir apparent I guess) but it's sort of a silly name! What sort of ritual items are you thinking about making/selling?

maeveypoo- love the pumpkin pattern! Now that autumn is here I've pulled out my yarn and needles again. Somehow I always plan to knit year round but I never do...it isn't till the leaves start to turn and the rains start that I suddenly have an overwhelming urge to knit. I'm hoping to make a bunch of funky scarves that I can wear to work...the library gets chilly but the "Sweater Set" look just doesn't do it for me (even though I wear them).

Kinsey- From a "jumping right in" perspective, I really liked Spiral Dance (for "adult" ritual, magical, and practical skill development), Celebrating the Great Mother (for fun and funky children's activities as well as ideas that can be added to adult practice), and Cooking Like a Goddess (a great blend of yummy vegetarian recipes, hands-on rituals, and meditations divided up by season). Despite it's silliness, I really enjoyed Be a Goddess and the week by week format (with weekly 'assignments' and meditations) makes it a good "practical" guide. However, it is focused on a specific tradition and a book like Spiral Dance can be a better general guide if you're just getting one book.

Oh, for pagan calendars...there's always the classic Witches' Calendar from Llewellyn. But SageWoman often does one (called something like "the goddess year") and IMO the art on that one is just glorious. You might also check out the We'moon 07 Calendar: Gaia Rhythms for Womyn...I think one of the art pieces was done by an MDC mama (though I might be confused...)

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#85 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 05:11 PM

I am in northeast Nebraska. We just got done with the 90+ degree weather, and today, its only 55! Some years we only have about 2 weeks of autumn, I hope this is not one of them. And some years, we cook out on thanksgiving because it is still in the 70's. It is so variable.

I had my first child at 16, had a little too much time on my hands. Bio father was never involved. Met the love of my life when DS was 18 months old, and we got married when I was 19. Had DD at 20, another DS at 21, and one more DS at 23. I am now 25! I am probably the youngun here

OdetoJoy-

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#86 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 05:34 PM

I haven't read all posts so not sure what the original question was regarding partners or children.
Anyone want to tell me so that I don't have to go back and read everything? LOL.
#87 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 05:43 PM

ode...I think it started with a comment about the relative "yumminess" of a certain young fellow...and then people started thinking about where they were in their 20's....and from there it turned into babes/partners.

But I may have missed an important step in there!

#88 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 06:11 PM

Let's see...We live in Lynnwood, WA (about half an hour north of Seattle ~ completely depending on traffic of course!).

I was quite the young hooligan at 20! ~remembers several road trips to Alberta, Canada just because the drinking age then was 17!!~

I got married at 21, had ds (Sam) at 22, had ds (Trystan) at 24, divorced at 26. DH was married at 18, had ds (Tristan) at 19, divorced at 22. We met shortly after he divorced and before I did playing Everquest of all the geeky things! We've been together (not legally married yet) since. We had dd at 29/26 (me/him) and we're expecting ds #4 this December (I'm 31, dh will be 28). And we plan to keep having babies until we decide we're done
#89 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 07:34 PM

I'm so glad some of you are doing the Barnes and Noble class too! Now we can discuss it! Yippee!

BTW I found the book at the library. :

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#90 of 427 Old 09-03-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon
did you know they made "everything paganism book"?
weird!
I have that! Actually it's in my box of stuff I'm going to sell on the trading post if anyone is interested

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page