Modest Dressing Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A long the lines of the headcovering thread, all faiths are welcome. I am newly a modest dressing woman. I'd love to share resources, tips, sewing pattern sources and experiences etc .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2006, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is there any particular definition of modest this thread is for?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 10-22-2006, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'd rather not limit it too strictly, and am interested in findout out what others degrees of modesty are as well .
Old 10-22-2006, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was raised LDS (Mormon), fell away, and then returned a year ago. Latter-Day Saints are asked to be modest which for us means no sleevless, shorts/skirts to the knee or lower, nothing too tight, too low cut, or too revelaing etc etc. we also don;t get tattoos or body peircings which i guess could be consider a part of modesty. for me not having tattoos is the real sacrifice. i love tattoos and wanted A LOT. lol i actually got one on my foot while i was away from the church. i had a nose ring as well. so that has been a challenge but i have found two things in my new found modesty- (1) i feel that through my little sacrifices (wearing sleeves and long shorts in the 120 degree So Cal summer for one thing) i become more humble and therefore more open to the Spirit. and (2) there is something to be said for modesty especially in this world. like with head coverings you look at these women and men who strive to be modest and just know they stand for something and i applaud that. there's a sort of sense of unity too. i know here, even when i wasn't going to church, i could always tell a member because after seeing girls in tube tops all day in the desert heat i'd see a group of ladies in capris and loose T Shirts sweating it out.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 10-22-2006, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

I was raised LDS too , fell away for a LONG time, and now have found my way to Christ as an adult (non-demoninational). For me modesty means no midriffs, nothing too tight or low cut, simple, long clothing including elbow length or longer sleeves, long skirts/dresses (my wardrobe is mostly pants now but I want to weed them out and replace). For myself I also don't wear makeup or jewellry. I want to get into head covering too .

There is a certain spirit that fills me when I dress modestly, I feel loved and protected, and like my spirit can shine all the brighter without so much emphasis on the appearance of my physical body. It's hard to describe, but I do feel happier.

User Tag List