Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My birthday is March 23.
#62 of 480 Old 11-02-2006, 04:52 PM

Just checking to see if we were the same. I'm April 2.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#63 of 480 Old 11-02-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
my husband's birthday is October 22!
My dh's bday is the 22 too.

I am a Gemini and ds is an Aquarius.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#64 of 480 Old 11-02-2006, 06:42 PM

Hi all, haven't been around much! I've been reading a little. It's so hard to keep up these days! We had a wonderful time trick or treating! Our altar is coming along well I think, where do you fond unscented colored candles though? I'm having the hardest time finding them and I don't really want all these weird smells converging together...they might stink...lol.

Ode~I hope everything is okay!

Mavey~I have looked at your site before when we were planning on a trip to the renfaire in PA, I love it!

Oh, as for signs...

Dh and I are Virgos. I find we do oaky as long as we don't get in each others way too much.
Dd1 is a Scorpio(Nov13) although I find she is pretty shy not to outgoing.
Dd2 is a Aquarius(Jan26)
Dd3 is a Sagitarius(Dec21)

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#65 of 480 Old 11-02-2006, 06:56 PM

I hope you don't mind if I do some venting.

I recently opened myself up to my Orthodox Christian family that I'm Pagan. I guess I was being overly optimistic when I hoped that they would approach it with an open mind...I was wrong. My mom is unwilling to do research on Paganism because it "freaks her out" and won't listen to what I have to say about it. I posted a blog on MySpace with the link to the "Demystifying Paganism" sermon that someone posted recently, hoping that that would help them understand a little. However, my stepdad's brother (who I'm pretty close to, I'll call him "M") posted a snarky remark as a comment to the blog. I figured I would just let it slide off my back, no biggie. But then right after he posted a comment on my blog, he went and wrote his own blog about Christianity and Paganism that was really hurtful to me (although I know I shouldn't pay any attention to it). He basically states what little he knows about Paganism (essentially just the definition) and then starts quoting the 10 commandments and how Christians can't be Pagans because it goes against the first two commandments. But I think the statement that hurt me most was "Paganism is simply the natural gravity of the human spirit, the line of least resistance." I'm upset because I don't like to have secrets from my family, and I feel I shouldn't need to hide my religion. I'm happy in Paganism. But now it just seems like my family is trying to take cheap shots at me. And considering the fact that he states in his blog that he hasn't "studied up on it, nor do I feel the need to" really just irks me, they're not even trying to understand me, just trying to critisize me.

Sorry to go on and on, I didn't know where else to turn to since obviously my blog on MySpace isn't safe.
#66 of 480 Old 11-02-2006, 08:28 PM

Lyndsey~ Very sorry that your family took your news so badly. Perhaps with time your Mom will be willing to talk or read more. Why do you think "M" reacted so harshly (and passive aggressively as well!)? He sounds kind of threatened.

That said, I must say that I did not like the tone of the sermon that was posted here last month (is that the one you posted?). He came across as very angry to me and I think that puts people on the defensive. Just my 2 cents.

#67 of 480 Old 11-02-2006, 08:44 PM

Yes, that was the sermon I posted. And while I do agree with you that he did seem a bit angry, I did feel that it had some good points, and I was hoping that would give a beginners insight to Paganism and my family to research on from there.

As for M, I'm not sure why he's so defensive. I guess, as he put in his blog, he must address it because it "invades my beliefs and someone that I love's" (me). But knowing that he spouted off on Paganism without knowing about it or willing to do any research about it and directing the post at me just really upset me. I just had DH read it and he said he's going to call him and speak to him tonight because we're supposed to be going up to see my family for Christmas and I want the air cleared before we visit. I'm not up there to debate my religion, I'm there to see my family, but I have a feeling if we don't resolve it now, they're going to bring it up then.

It's all just so frustrating!! :
#68 of 480 Old 11-02-2006, 08:52 PM

I really like www.dailyscopes.com's free natal star charts. I don't get too much into all the planets and houses and such (though I find it fascinating, and the tarot spread I most often used is based on the astrological houses), but it has a really clear, concise description of your sun, moon, and ascendent signs, the "biggies."

My day today was riddled with conflict! I'm blaming it mostly on me and my students all being caught on the post-trick-or-treating sugar roller coaster, but it might be something in the stars...:

Naturalmomof3, I'm so sorry your family did not react as kindly as you expected. That's such a tough thing when you're opening your heart like that...

Thanks for the compliments on our costumes! I think that being calacas will be our yearly "standby," as it was pretty easy.

I heard a song on the radio today, and I was only really half listening, so I have no idea who the song was by or really even how it sounded, but it was a love song and the chorus was something about the beautiful amber energy that the singer's beloved sends out. It made me think of all you mamas who are healing or who need healing...sending some loving, amber energy your way!!
#69 of 480 Old 11-02-2006, 10:32 PM

Why have I decided that my next baby will be an Aquarius? Lots of reasons:

My first three children were born in November (Scorpio, autumn), June (Cancer, summer) and March (Aires, Spring). The next baby needs to be born in wintertime, and I am terrified of having a Capricorn. A Sagitarius wouldn't be too bad, but I am a Libra and damnit, we need more air around here.

Bean was born at the begining of the month, BooBah and Bella were born at the end, so the next baby needs to be born at the begining (to even things out).

Next baby needs to be a boy because I have a boy and two girls already.

My kids were born in '02, '04, and '06, so the new baby needs to be born in '08. I like patterns.

So, a baby boy born in the beginning of February, 2008. This one had better be my 8 pounder, too, because he'll probably be the last baby.

A question-- I'm having a hard time dealing with a person in my life right now. I want to do something about it, but I'm afraid that any ritual I attempt at this point will be infused with *overwhelming* negativity. In a vague, hypothetical kind of way, what might you do about such a thing? My instinct is certainly to *act*, but again the negativity involved is tremendous; so much so that I don't think I could ask someone to, say, do a divinatory reading because I don't think it would be fair to expose them to that degree of hostility. Any thoughts?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#70 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 01:33 AM

That's tough. Maybe do a reading yourself? If it were me, I would choose a meditation that would help me to let go of some of that negativity for at least a good 20 minutes. Then do the reading.
#71 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 02:11 AM

I hear ya on not wanting a cap baby, my sister is one. oy.

natural mom I am so sorry that you family are behaving this way. I hope you can straighten things out before you go down for the holidays.

just remember that dd turns 17 in a few days. WOAH!

BTW, not sure who else might be interested but Showtime has filmed a new series called The Tudors supposed to start early next year, 10 episodes for the first season.

And Beowulf is in post production for a 2007 release http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0442933/
#72 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 03:05 AM

Not ready to response to the 4 pages (isn't this only Nov. 2? : )

Just wanting to check in and say hi!

Also, I'm looking to talk to solitaries. I was with a group, but I think I need to go my own way for a bit of time (well I have been w/o the group for this past year and now I'm thinking my practice needs to be solitary again. I might see about rejoining at Yule, but in case I don't...) Anyway, post or pm me if you're willing to talk about practice and what you're reading!
#73 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Heket- I'm solitary right now. Feel free to pm me.
#74 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Thanks...it's hard when a parent has a chronic health issue...you want to help and be there for them but at the same time it can be so heartbreaking to see the person who was so strong and capable become so needy and insecure. He starts a new med this week and we have high hopes.

On a more upbeat note...does anyone have the Circle Round and Sing cd? (the musical companion to the Circle Round book) Is it good? Bad? Fun? I have a lot of music from Reclaiming and the quality really varies from recording to recording...Laia loves listening to Second Chants but I think a child oriented pagan music tape would be worthwhile...

So, any mama reviews?
I have the CD and my boys really like it. I like it more than they do. Simple songs to learn and sing along with. The first CD I bough wore out so I just bought a second copy.

Oh, and since I haven't been around in a while.....is your siggy showing me that your pg?
#75 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 11:25 AM

Naturalmom~ You did right by posting a link to that sermon for your family to view. I have sent it to some of my family members. However, the responce I recieved was one of understanding and interest.

It is a shame that you are being attacked. This is unacceptable. You need to stand up to them and tell them to stop immediatly. I would also say to them that Christ would never judge or attack you. That was not the way of Christ.

I thought that it was a great sermon. Yes, he was angry. What is wrong with that? Here comes a rant...

Anger is a real, valid human emotion that we have been taught is "bad", "sinful", and "innapropriate". We have been taught since we were young children not to get angry.

There are so many things that we can accomplish through anger. Here's an example: Let's say the goverment is going to take your neighbor's farm because, it would be so great for the economy if they used that land for a shopping mall!

If everyone in town got angry they could use that anger to possibly save your neighbor's farm. Through protesting, going to the media, signing petitions, and other activism. These are appropriate ways to express anger and they can have an important impact.

What about when mom's in LLL arrange a nurse-in? They are using anger as a tool and there is nothing wrong with getting angry as long as it is expressed appropriatly. It is not this "evil", "sinful" emotion that we were raised to suppress.

I felt that although the sermon had an angry tone it was expressed appropriatly, and it was nice to see a person share their emotions openly.

eilonwy and naturalmom this may help you also~ Whenever I am very angry at a person who has wronged me in some way this is what I do, and it works every time:

Pray for them every day for a full, moon cycle beginning on the Full moon if possible. I pray for the person or people to recieve everything in life that they ever wanted, that they have true happiness, that they know spiritual fullfillment, and the like.

Your prayer does not need to be long. More than likly it will start off as one sentence the first night, but by the end of the moon cycle something very astonishing will happen within you. You will come to a place of peace, understanding, and compassion towards the other person. If you take my suggestion please let me know how this worked out for you.
#76 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMomof3 View Post
Yes, that was the sermon I posted. And while I do agree with you that he did seem a bit angry, I did feel that it had some good points, and I was hoping that would give a beginners insight to Paganism and my family to research on from there.

As for M, I'm not sure why he's so defensive. I guess, as he put in his blog, he must address it because it "invades my beliefs and someone that I love's" (me). But knowing that he spouted off on Paganism without knowing about it or willing to do any research about it and directing the post at me just really upset me. I just had DH read it and he said he's going to call him and speak to him tonight because we're supposed to be going up to see my family for Christmas and I want the air cleared before we visit. I'm not up there to debate my religion, I'm there to see my family, but I have a feeling if we don't resolve it now, they're going to bring it up then.

It's all just so frustrating!! :
I'm sorry you're going through this. My stance is to say that if someone does not put in the effort to research an issue then they are not allowed to discuss it with me. I simply will not engage in conversation with them. Not online nor in person. But then I'm like that. I don't care much what others think of me. My parents think I'm crazy for the religion they *think* I am. I don't bother to try and explain because it will fall on deaf ears. When they make comments I ignore them and simply act as if they have not spoken and start talking about something else. Whay waste my time and breath on someone who isn't open and doesn't want to be?
#77 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 11:38 AM

I'm solitary, but I don't want to be.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#78 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 11:56 AM

I am a solitary too. Always have been. Was once part of a circle but when it disbanded haven't found a group as easy going around here to join again. Sometimes I miss the companionship but...

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#79 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post
I'm sorry you're going through this. My stance is to say that if someone does not put in the effort to research an issue then they are not allowed to discuss it with me. I simply will not engage in conversation with them. Not online nor in person. But then I'm like that. I don't care much what others think of me. My parents think I'm crazy for the religion they *think* I am. I don't bother to try and explain because it will fall on deaf ears. When they make comments I ignore them and simply act as if they have not spoken and start talking about something else. Whay waste my time and breath on someone who isn't open and doesn't want to be?
I completely agree! M actually did email me after DH called him last night to let him know that he upset me. I was still upset when I wrote the email, but wrote it in a civil matter basically saying that I don't mind if they ask me rational questions to gain enlightenment, but I do not appreciate and will not tolerate questions that I know are asked to ridicule me. If they are not going to take the time to do a bit of research and come at me ignorant and judgemental, then sorry, I don't have time for you, I won't waste my breath.

Hopefully I got through to him, but from listening to the conversation last night (DH had it on speakerphone so I could hear too), he's pretty stuck in his orthodox christian, "the bible is infallible" ways and if I don't believe the way he does, I'm wrong : .
#80 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMomof3 View Post
he's pretty stuck in his orthodox christian, "the bible is infallible" ways and if I don't believe the way he does, I'm wrong : .
We know he has the right to feel that way but he does not have the right to impose those feelings on you. Sorry he upset you. Try to let it go. I know it's hard. It irritates me when people make comments even if they think they are being funny. I try to rise above being irritated so for me that means ignoring.

One of my friends actually cried a few weeks ago when she saw me wearing my pentacle earrings. She went on and on how they are a symbol of Satan regardless of what I said. She told me I was ok with wearing with them because I "don't know the truth about *that* religion." She knows I'm a good person but I'm not really Pagan, you see, because I don't really know what Paganism is. She does apparently and it includes worshipping Satan. Did ya'll know that?!
#81 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 06:08 PM

You know I'm amazed every day that people are so ignorant as to not realize that satan is Christian construct and has nothing to do with paganism. But I shouldn't be surprised since they view their book as the only truth in the world and applicable to all.
#82 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Has anyone ever heard of Barefoot Books? I just ran across a few, and they look very earthy and magic-leaning--two favorite qualities in children's books!
#83 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Arduinna, your sig!
#84 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 06:42 PM

Oh my gosh, now my stepdad is attacking me on his MySpace : . Why is this such a big deal that they feel the need to attack me? I told him to do some research, which is what he's doing, but it seems that he's putting his own slant on what he's learning, skewing it to fit what he believes. I can only imagine what he's teling my mom .

Looks like I'm going to have to call tonight and get this straightened out, because as of right now, i don't want to go up there at Christmas time and see them if I'm just going to be ridiculed the whole time.

I think I need to meditate tonight and ask the Goddess for strength because I feel like I'm slowly being beaten down .
#85 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 06:57 PM

I'm so sorry!
#86 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 PM

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with them. I wouldn't tell them to do their own research though since there is an amazing amount of bogus information out there and they could easily be making opinions based on it. Plus whatever they find on websites or books may not be what you are doing anyway.

I'd supply some links at least
#87 of 480 Old 11-03-2006, 10:39 PM

About our Whistling Woods.

#88 of 480 Old 11-04-2006, 12:12 AM

Natural mom sorry you're having such a hard time with family!

Gemini

Oh, I finally finished my greenman bowl. SOme of you will probably recognize the image from online sources, but I haven't managed to find any copyright info.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AYsXDRozZuXlghttp://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8AYsXDRozZuXlg

The other dishes are: a plate I did earlier this year and the plate my 4 yr old dd did for her birthday this Fall
#89 of 480 Old 11-04-2006, 01:17 AM

Salvia~ Thanks for sharing about your whistling woods. Let us know if you ever discover the cause of this mystery. What did it feel like when you heard it? In other words what was the tone like? Was it scary, exciting, inspiring, or some other emotion?

Pam~ Your Grrenman plate turned out beautifully! Thank you for sharing it with us.
#90 of 480 Old 11-04-2006, 02:03 AM

Wow about the whistling woods! That sounds so exciting and mysterious. Perhaps it was someone visiting while the veil was thin. I find trees and groves of trees absolutely amazing and instantly get a sense of the sacred whenever I see or am near them. It's something I do not totally understand, but I feel it really deeply, as well as around moving/flowing water.

Pam that Greenman bowl is wonderful!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page