LDS Mamas # 36 - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#511 of 523 Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde View Post
I can't change anyone else but I can change me. I have been praying more, reading my scriptures more, trying to be a better person overall.

I am sorry people were giving you a hard time. I admire your strength and totally agree.
#512 of 523 Old 01-12-2007, 01:34 AM

I've seen the secret several times. The first time I watched it, I was really amazed by some parts and disturbed by others. I mulled it over for a few months and in the meantime had some major growing experiences. The 2nd time I watched it, it was like ohhhhh...I get it. Yes, we get more of what we focus on. The key is to be sure that what you're focusing on is what you really want. I remember reading in the Ensign one time, "Is your ladder of success leaning up against the wrong wall?" It has made me recommit to making my life Christ-Centered. I know if I do that, He will fill in all the important stuff for me one way or another.
Having said that, I also believe that the law of abundance is a gospel principle and that God wants us to have "life and to have it abundantly". I came across a wonderful book called "And the Righteous Shall Prosper (Exploring the Book of Mormon Promise) It really helped me with some of my issues about feeling a little self-righteous about living in a state of scarcity and lack. My dh and I have had many growing experiences exploring and discussing the many points of view that are out there about money and wealth.
Another very important thing I have learned is that we must continually drink deeply from the fountain of truth so that we can discern what things are the philosophies of men and what things are really going to bless our lives.
It has been very empowering for me to discover how much of my life is a choice! I'm having fewer and fewer bad days, and it is wonderful! I have also enjoyed exploring the power of gratitude.

I haven't been here for a long time so a little re-intro: I'm 28 and have 4 kids 2,4,6,and 8. My older two are boys my younger two are girls. Love homebirth, cloth diapering, homeschool. Mostly love my Savior and my awesome family! I live in Utah county.

Praise God!
#513 of 523 Old 01-12-2007, 02:31 AM

Sisters, thank you so much for your kind words. What stood out the most was Alisaterry's quote "As I keep reminding myself (since DS makes it hard at church), we aren't there to make friends." We don't go to church to make friends, do we? That is a sometimes secondary blessing. Thank you for telling me that. I told that to dh, to which he replied, "Duh," and I said okay, I will go back. If I go with that attitude, I think it will help me (aim low).

Anytime anyone is ready to start a new thread would be great! Anyone ready?
#514 of 523 Old 01-12-2007, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs_mom View Post
hi everyone ,
i wish that you were in my ward we could start an ap momma playgroup. i am sure that my weirdness will be more obvious when i do not stop nursing ds at 1 yr.
This really made me laugh! Not at you Isaacs_mom, but because I remember all the weird looks I used to get nursing my 2 yo dd in the nursing lounge. We would often go there during sacrament so that I could listen better, (older sis isn't a big fan of sacrament meeting!) and I got so many people who were obviously staring at me, but then trying to hide it. And so many people who tried to ask casually "so, how old is she?" without appearing nosy. It makes me giggle thinking about it.

Stacey, I've been thinking about you. Hope you're doing okay.

On the subject of VT'ers, I know exactly what you all mean. My current VT has only once ina year actually set an appointment and come in my house. She loves showing up at random times to give a treat and call it her VT visit. Her latest visit was, no joke, at 8 pm on New Year's Eve, to bring me a Christmas ornament. I try not to get frustrated with her, but it really makes me feel like she doesn't care about me, she only cares about making sure her "stats" show that she went VT'ing. Ugh. Must change my attitude.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#515 of 523 Old 01-12-2007, 03:03 AM

Okay.. I am leaving to set up the new thread.
#516 of 523 Old 01-12-2007, 03:11 AM

Quick rant - I've been hanging out at another AP board and started an "All About the LDS" thread and some ex-Mormons posted some mean things o I asked if they could start the own thread and boy did they! They're talking about temple ceremonies and garments. Then, in a thread about cults, they've all decided the Momon church is a cult. It's just frustrating because you don't see a thread called "All about the Catholics from an ex-Catholic." I don't understand why people can't be respectful about other people's faiths, even if they did have negative experiences.

Just fustrating.
#517 of 523 Old 01-12-2007, 03:15 AM

It is frusterating. And I know it's totally childish.. but in the spirituality forum when I saw the "ex mormon mamas" thread I felt good when things were posted to bury that thread. I don't appreciate contention about our religion because of others mistakes/closed mindedness.
#518 of 523 Old 01-12-2007, 03:48 AM

By the way, Ducette started us a new thread at: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=593838

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

#519 of 523 Old 01-12-2007, 03:49 AM

Thanks for sharing with everyone. I probably should have confirmed that I actually did it.
#520 of 523 Old 01-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnloveit View Post
I've seen the secret several times.
Momnloveit, I loved your post. Thanks for sharing your experience with The Secret. That is almost exactly the same process I went through afte watching it. That's is one part of why it has inspired me to really study the scriptures and pray more.

That book about prosperity in the church sounds interesting. I still wonder about this -- so how DOES prosperity work in a righteous context? Since I can't read the book this minute (or even possibly this month) can you tell me some more of what you learned in that book? Thanks! (I know I need to focus on getting the important things in order-- spiritual things-- and I am-- but in all honesty, I'd like to not be poor anymore either! )

Perhaps we should start a different thread though? Or move to the new LDS thread?

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#521 of 523 Old 02-09-2007, 12:45 AM

Hi- I haven't been ehre in SOOOOOOOO long, but is there another thread? You're not still on this one, are you???

Ang
#522 of 523 Old 02-09-2007, 12:57 AM

Angie, I was just thinking about you the other day! There is a newer thread, we're on # 38 now. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=608761

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#523 of 523 Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren View Post
Angie, I was just thinking about you the other day! There is a newer thread, we're on # 38 now. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=608761
Thanks Serenity- how are you doing these days?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page