LDS Mamas # 36 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 523 Old 11-19-2006, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ITA, Bekka on the WoW!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#62 of 523 Old 11-20-2006, 12:35 AM

Today at church we had lesson 20. We should have had 22 today if doing 2 a month, which I guess somehow it was off at the beginning of the year. It's like we didn't even start the book until Feb. and we still missed lessons!! : I just don't understand! So, next Sunday (4th Sunday) we will have 21, and then 3 in December as well. At least we'll get them in, but I hate bein behind! EQ had 22 today, why not us?

Oldest DS has been sick since Wednesday. Actually I think he was starting to feel better yesterday, but he still didn't go to church today. His friend called him this afternoon and asked him if he was going to BYD tonight. He gets this fake sick voice and speaks that way the whole time! He was trying hard not to laugh, but I was. "You are such a dork," I tell him! Now he has hives all over him. I gave him so Kaopectate last night, but it had expired (didn't read that until afterwards), but it was a good 18 hrs or more when hives started. You know how sometimes you start scratching, and sometimes you can't stop? I wonder if it was that? I just can't believe he would have gotten hives that long afterwards. When I took Ceclor when I was a teenager, I immediately broke out with hives. So, DH told me to give him a dose of Benedryl and send him to bed. I did, and at 9:22pm he is already in bed.

Tomorrow he and I have a dentist appt at 10am. I have a black spot on a lower right molar. It's because I have receeding gum lines, and the spot or hole is just from wear of my toothbrush. They will have to fill it and bond it. I freakin' hate the dentist!! Last time they had to fill one of those holes, they had to shoot me up 7 times because I didn't want to feel a thing!! But, boy! The headache I had afterwards!! : I don't know if I can have 7 shots tomorrow, but I am already freakin' out! But I know I don't need a headache all day tomorrow because I have a house to finish cleaning (bedrooms & bathrooms mainly!).

Kids want me to go play Scattergories with them (I love that game!).
#63 of 523 Old 11-20-2006, 05:00 AM

Scattergories is FUN. We have that game.

OT - I would like to make a nativity scene for my family but I don't work with wood and would like it three dimensional rather than a quilt. Also, I don't knit. Any recommendations for a sewing/crochet/fabric/something pattern?
#64 of 523 Old 11-21-2006, 10:34 AM

I just wanted to make sure that everyone here knew about the incident with a Freedom Airlines employee (stewardess) who kicked a mom off the airplane for discreetly bf'ing her almost 2 year old. The mom is now thankfully sueing. Here's a link:

Can you believe a woman was recently kicked off a Delta Airlines flight for discreetly breastfeeding her child!? Here's an article on it: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15720339/?from=ET

There is a petition that can be signed also, I will find the address and post it.
#65 of 523 Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 AM

Bekka also, one maybe temp. solution to the ants to give you more time to rest might be to fill the sink with your dishes and cover them with soapy water. Just do the ones that won't sit in the water, although if they are in the middle of them the ants won't be able to get to them. I have lots of ant tricks after living in the Philippines the other one for food you *want* to leave out (like our rice pot) we would put it in the middle of a plate of water. That might buy you some extra time on those nights or days where you just want to rest.
#66 of 523 Old 11-21-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsmom
The mom is now thankfully sewing.
What is she sewing?

Or is it sueing?

:
#67 of 523 Old 11-21-2006, 11:46 AM

anyone see this news story? it's posted on the N&CE board...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15822320/

maybe it's just me but why do they always name the church? we're not the only one's in this country who have ever practised ploy. there are plenty of other groups that still do.
whatever. i think it's ridiculous that it's illegal but that's just me.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#68 of 523 Old 11-21-2006, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the link for the other half of the airline story:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ver...ding_incident/
#69 of 523 Old 11-21-2006, 01:48 PM

It's funny how the do always use our church's name or Mormon in articles about something or someone. I have seen articles in the paper before like this: "Mormon man killed neighbor" Goes on to tell about the article, but the only mention of the church is that he was a Mormon man. You never see "Catholic Man killed neighbor, or Baptist Man killed neighbor." KWIM? It just kinda irks me sometimes the news tries to downgrade members of our church as if all Mormons are bad.

Even in politics...your local member leaders (especially in the mission field) are always labeled but not ones of other religion. :
#70 of 523 Old 11-21-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
anyone see this news story? it's posted on the N&CE board...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15822320/

maybe it's just me but why do they always name the church? we're not the only one's in this country who have ever practised ploy. there are plenty of other groups that still do.
whatever. i think it's ridiculous that it's illegal but that's just me.
Polygamy doesn't bother me. It's the ones that force underage marriages that make me The ones here in Utah always call it religious persecution but child rape and non-consensual marriage are not protected freedoms.
#71 of 523 Old 11-21-2006, 09:40 PM

i totally know what you mean, Heidi!!! so annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaterry View Post
Polygamy doesn't bother me. It's the ones that force underage marriages that make me The ones here in Utah always call it religious persecution but child rape and non-consensual marriage are not protected freedoms.
ITA!

#72 of 523 Old 11-22-2006, 10:23 AM

This is a sticky topic I know but I'm going to broach it anyway since it's been brought up. Maybe it would be better on another LDS thread and we can certainly take it there if needs be.

Some people who are not necessarily proponents for either gay marriage or polygamy have stated the fact that they can't see if gay marriage is legalized why polygamy would not that the argument is very similar. Two consenting adults or more than two, as long as everyone is consenting. Of course people are still quite repulsed by the idea of polygamy but at one time they were quite repulsed by the idea of gay marriage but it's gaining momentum as everyone is becoming more tolerant.

So it leads me to ask myself the question: if polygamy were legalized again do you think that the church would sanction it again? If so how would I deal with that? Somehow I don't think in my gut that it will ever be legalized again and that I would need to deal with the question. It seems like an easier concept that if I passed away and was on the other side with a bigger perspective that I could deal with my dh and actually even want him to remarry so that he would have that support and the kids would have a mother. But it gives me a new respect for those who actually lived in the day of polygamy and the trials they must've gone through. I know that it was in all actuality a very small portion of the church members who lived it (there were some definite inaccuracies in that article) but I guess I just don't even want to think about the remote possibility of being asked to live it.
#73 of 523 Old 11-22-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsmom View Post
Some people who are not necessarily proponents for either gay marriage or polygamy have stated the fact that they can't see if gay marriage is legalized why polygamy would not that the argument is very similar. Two consenting adults or more than two, as long as everyone is consenting. Of course people are still quite repulsed by the idea of polygamy but at one time they were quite repulsed by the idea of gay marriage but it's gaining momentum as everyone is becoming more tolerant.
frankly *deep breath* i think it's ridiculous both are illegal. it all comes down to choice and agency for me so, IMO, they have the right to marry who they will (as long as they are consenting, of course). :

Quote:
So it leads me to ask myself the question: if polygamy were legalized again do you think that the church would sanction it again? If so how would I deal with that? Somehow I don't think in my gut that it will ever be legalized again and that I would need to deal with the question. It seems like an easier concept that if I passed away and was on the other side with a bigger perspective that I could deal with my dh and actually even want him to remarry so that he would have that support and the kids would have a mother. But it gives me a new respect for those who actually lived in the day of polygamy and the trials they must've gone through. I know that it was in all actuality a very small portion of the church members who lived it (there were some definite inaccuracies in that article) but I guess I just don't even want to think about the remote possibility of being asked to live it.
okay before i answer this i have a question- would we *have* to live it? i mean, if the church decided to santion it again would it be a 'must do'? i doubt that but one never knows. i kind of think if you want to have one wife the church wouldn't have a problem. like if you want to have one child or ten. they really don't step in.

DH and i have talked about this. one night i was ranting about all these stupid marriage laws (as if the government has any right to dictate who one marries) and polygamy came up. he brought up (and this is soon after his converstion) that if it were made legal again that the church migh reinstate it and how would i feel about having to 'share' my husband. first we agreed that it might not be commanded but if we did choose to i feel that, yes it would be so rough, but i wouldn't be oposed. i'm one of the rare Americans (especially left leaning Americans) who thinks polygamy makes sense and can be a good idea depending on the circumstance. now, this doesn't mean i'm going to run off and join the FLDS sect but i think you know what i mean. having sister wives makes sense to me. as long as i liked them (could you imagine having Hilary Duff or some anti-AP woman as your sister wife??? : ) i would at very least put some effort into it. but still be jealous come night fall.

here's my question- if (IIIIIFFF!!) the church reinstated polygamy do you think there would become a rift in the church? i've spoken to members who are ashamed and appauled by our polygamous past. would it being reinstated make the church less true to you? do you think instead of having polygamous break offs we'd now have non-polygamous break offs of the church? this is all hypothedical because, like i said, one never knows.

#74 of 523 Old 11-22-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
here's my question- if (IIIIIFFF!!) the church reinstated polygamy do you think there would become a rift in the church? i've spoken to members who are ashamed and appauled by our polygamous past. would it being reinstated make the church less true to you? do you think instead of having polygamous break offs we'd now have non-polygamous break offs of the church? this is all hypothedical because, like i said, one never knows.
Very much so. It caused problems back in the 1800s when it put into practice I think it would cause a rift now today as well. I know I would have issues with it, I don't think I would leave the church over it, but it would take a lot of understanding and prayer to accept it.
#75 of 523 Old 11-22-2006, 05:20 PM

we're expecting our third girl!! guess i better change my sig.

#76 of 523 Old 11-22-2006, 06:17 PM

Congratulations Maggie!

I'm in the three boys club here.
#77 of 523 Old 11-24-2006, 02:25 AM

I KNOW a reinstatement of polygamy would cause a rift in the church. It would be a quick and decisive separation of the wheat from the tares.

I could TOTALLY share DH. Someone else to do the dishes and pick up his socks? Awesome! But it would be really hard if I didn't get to choose the wife. If it was one of my sisters, I would shoot myself and accept a lower kingdom. I would not pass that test. But if it was one of my friends, I could certainly use the help and companionship.
#78 of 523 Old 11-24-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I KNOW a reinstatement of polygamy would cause a rift in the church. It would be a quick and decisive separation of the wheat from the tares.
i ike how you put that. can't say i ever heard the expresion before but i really agree.

#79 of 523 Old 11-24-2006, 07:15 PM

I guess I'd be a tare.

I think the notion of having a houseful of sister-friends to hang out with is nice, but I think the reality would be far more challenging. Just look at the Old Testament and all the conflicts that polygamy brought.

Personally, I don't think I could handle watching people in my household bear child after child with my dh and me not be able to. That would more than suck.
#80 of 523 Old 11-24-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
i ike how you put that. can't say i ever heard the expresion before but i really agree.
That's a part of a New testament Parable that is requoted in the D&C. By the way - when I pull quotes from LDS.org, they turn superscripts into letters, so you'll see random letters.

Matthew 13
Quote:
24 ¶ Another aparable put he forth unto them, saying, The bkingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good cseed in his field:
25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed atares among the wheat, and went his way.
26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
30 Let both grow together until the aharvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together bfirst the tares, and bind them in bundles to cburn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
D&C 86
Quote:
1 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you my servants, concerning the aparable of the bwheat and of the tares:
2 Behold, verily I say, the field was the world, and the apostles were the asowers of the seed;
3 And after they have fallen asleep the great persecutor of the church, the apostate, the awhore, even bBabylon, that maketh all nations to drink of her cup, in whose hearts the enemy, even Satan, sitteth to reign—behold he soweth the ctares; wherefore, the tares choke the wheat and drive the dchurch into the wilderness.
4 But behold, in the alast days, even now while the Lord is beginning to bring forth the word, and the blade is springing up and is yet tender—
5 Behold, verily I say unto you, the aangels are crying unto the Lord day and night, who are ready and waiting to be sent forth to breap down the fields;
6 But the Lord saith unto them, pluck not up the tares while the blade is yet tender (for verily your faith is weak), lest you destroy the wheat also.
7 Therefore, let the wheat and the atares grow together until the harvest is fully ripe; then ye shall first gather out the wheat from among the tares, and after the gathering of the wheat, behold and lo, the tares are bound in bundles, and the field remaineth to be bburned.
D&C 101
Quote:
63 Again, verily I say unto you, I will show unto you wisdom in me concerning all the churches, inasmuch as they are awilling to be guided in a right and proper way for their salvation—
64 That the work of the agathering together of my saints may continue, that I may build them up unto my name upon bholy places; for the time of charvest is come, and my word must needs be dfulfilled.
65 Therefore, I must gather together my people, according to the parable of the wheat and the atares, that the wheat may be secured in the garners to possess eternal life, and be crowned with celestial bglory, when I shall come in the kingdom of my Father to reward every man according as his work shall be;
#81 of 523 Old 11-24-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
I guess I'd be a tare.

I think the notion of having a houseful of sister-friends to hang out with is nice, but I think the reality would be far more challenging. Just look at the Old Testament and all the conflicts that polygamy brought.

Personally, I don't think I could handle watching people in my household bear child after child with my dh and me not be able to. That would more than suck.
Like Rachel and Leah.
#82 of 523 Old 11-24-2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:
That's a part of a New testament Parable that is requoted in the D&C. By the way - when I pull quotes from LDS.org, they turn superscripts into letters, so you'll see random letters.

Matthew 13

D&C 86

D&C 101
yup! i remember hearing Sister H talk about this in seminary. )

#83 of 523 Old 11-24-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Like Rachel and Leah.
sort of random but has anyone read the Red Tent?

#84 of 523 Old 11-24-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
sort of random but has anyone read the Red Tent?
The Jewish bodace ripper? Well written, but some of her theories didn't sit well with me. I'm pretty sure the patriarchs weren't animal sodomizers. But if I can suspend what I know about that part of history, it's a great midwife novel.
#85 of 523 Old 11-24-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
The Jewish bodace ripper? Well written, but some of her theories didn't sit well with me. I'm pretty sure the patriarchs weren't animal sodomizers. But if I can suspend what I know about that part of history, it's a great midwife novel.

i was happy that she stated Jacob didn't mess with the sheep but she did put some things in there that were not stuff i wanted to envision the Prophet Jacob doing, if you follow my meaning.

anyways- the reason i brought it up was because of the sisterhood they all shared. well, they were sisters, but you get my meaning. there was contention which only made it seem real.

#86 of 523 Old 11-25-2006, 01:42 AM

Yeah, like Rachel and Leah. And also Sarah and Hagar. And Hannah and Peninnah. I can't imagine going through what they went through...and not just the infertile ones. I can't imagine how it felt for Leah to be the less-favored wife. Or for Hagar to be cast out into the wilderness. The rivalries they faced went so much deeper than just not getting along.

As far as the wheat and tares idea, I agree that we know the time will come when the wheat will be separated from the tares. But I think we need to be really careful about speculating that it could be polygamy that helps bring this to pass. I know that it was just brought up as a hypothetical possibility. But I think we need to reiterate that there is no doctrinal basis for thinking that we will live this law in the future, at least on earth. (Even concerning the next life, things are rather unclear.)
#87 of 523 Old 11-25-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
As far as the wheat and tares idea, I agree that we know the time will come when the wheat will be separated from the tares. But I think we need to be really careful about speculating that it could be polygamy that helps bring this to pass. I know that it was just brought up as a hypothetical possibility. But I think we need to reiterate that there is no doctrinal basis for thinking that we will live this law in the future, at least on earth. (Even concerning the next life, things are rather unclear.)
true.
i've had wheat/tare issues with the church. nothing huge, of course. just personal stuff. it could be ANYTHING for ANYONE- the big wheat/tare test. what it comes down to is faith that no matter what it is if the Prophet of God is saying it then that's all that needs to be said. oh but it sure is rough. i think i'll go hide under a rock until the test comes a looking.

#88 of 523 Old 11-25-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Very true. It is completely hypothetical and not something I actually think will happen. I just have wondered how I would react or how I would have reacted back then if asked to live it.

The separating of the wheat from the tares I also don't think of as one big test but also a series. I see some of it happening now even in my personal opinion.

Something else I've been wondering a lot about lately is political correctness and the way that many people think about there not being any absolute truth and how this has, does and can filter into my/our thinking about the gospel. We hear things so many times over and over and over again from the media or mainstream thinking about certain issues that I find myself needing to search the scriptures more and more to help maintain a firm footing and sort through what I believe to be truth and what is speculataion and what is just also plainly wrong but masked as being right and feeling like I might be/am mocked for maintaining those ideals and am "narrow minded" for esteeming my ideals.
#89 of 523 Old 11-25-2006, 05:04 PM

I certainly didn't mean to imply polygamy was "IT." It was simply an answer to a hypothetical about what would happen if it was reinstated, and I know it would be very divisive.
#90 of 523 Old 11-25-2006, 09:00 PM

i'm sorry if i upset anyone by bringing it up. wasn't my intention at all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page