Baking khallah ... and yes, this is spiritual, too! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 05-23-2003, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chani, BB's "formula" finally worked for me, it just took intense concentration

Do you have a different one? I'm feeling so like "I am Jewish mother hear me roar" :LOL so would be game to try it ...

Anyway, left a glob of dough for DD to play with/bake, time to get it out and get her doing something ...

Good Shabbos, ladies!!!!!!!

#32 of 41 Old 05-23-2003, 02:09 PM

Amy - did you make your glorious loaves this week with frozen dough?

Is using double the amount of yeast the only way to get frozen loaves to work?

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#33 of 41 Old 05-23-2003, 05:40 PM

There is a great poem that was made into a song about making challah. I'll see if I can find the words, but part of it is:
"What's in the space between these braids
Of these two challos I've just made
How much of me is hidden there?
Between the braids my thoughts appear...
Shabbos kodesh, shabbos koddesh
Open up my eyes
Let me see my work is holy
Let me stop chasing lies.
Hands knead the dough,
Let me see my work is holy
Raising high what seems so low."

And with that I bid you all - "Good Shabbos!!!"
#34 of 41 Old 05-23-2003, 09:17 PM

I make challah every week and I never have been able to do a six braid.

One thing that I sort of fell into that I love is giving homemade challah away to less observant Jewish friends. they always talk bout how good it tasts, how good it smells. It just makes me feel good to spread a little shabbos around.

Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible---St. Francis of Assisi
#35 of 41 Old 05-25-2003, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Speaking of spreading Shabbos around ...

What do you do with your crumbs post-Shabbos?

We don't throw out any Shabbos khallah crumbs (which I know a lot of people don't do; I'm just starting with an explanation for those who don't know ... ), we save them all ... and DH religiously takes the kids on Sunday morning to feed the ducks & pigeons & squirrels with them. Sharing a little Shabbos with our local wildlife ... (& giving me an hour to visit MDC :LOL)

Also, as someone told us once, khallah crumbs were part of the Shabbos seudah, so how can you just throw them away in the garbage? Crumbs of kedusha (holiness) ...

In the wintertime the "feeding the birds & squirrels" ritual particularly feels to the children like they're doing something important, too ...

#36 of 41 Old 05-25-2003, 12:58 PM

b'h

yup, we feed the birds with challah crumbs and leftover challah. dd loves watching them, and talks about how she made challah for them.
#37 of 41 Old 05-25-2003, 07:35 PM

I really love the spiritual idea of not throwing out the crumbs. I haven't heard of it before but it makes a lot of sense (not exactly the same, but perhaps similar to the idea of not simply throwing away the placenta).

I recently heard, though, that feeding bread to the birds actually isn't good for their health. Two reasons I heard: 1. it can explode their stomaches and 2. it helps to spread disease.

I have no idea if this is rumor or not--anyone else hear of such a thing?

I have tried to save leftover challah to make bread pudding.

What happens to the crumbs that are left on people's plates and mixed in with food? Do those get saved too?

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#38 of 41 Old 05-25-2003, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RachelMolly
I recently heard, though, that feeding bread to the birds actually isn't good for their health. Two reasons I heard: 1. it can explode their stomaches and 2. it helps to spread disease.
If this were true, I think that people would be rushing to feed the pigeons in NYC bread crumbs!!!

Seriously, the only problem I know of is feeding some animals (notably fish) matza, b/c it absorbs water and expands. I know someone who tried to feed an aquarium full of fish matza meal during Pesach. Yup, dead fishies...
#39 of 41 Old 05-26-2003, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well, then the birds know what's up. Because DH & the kids tried to feed the birds matza during this past Khol ha'Moed, and the birds ... NYC pigeons, natch ... refused. Wouldn't touch the stuff.

I've never heard that about bread/khallah and birds. I don't think it's correct.

Crumbs that get wet/mixed with stuff on plates doesn't get saved. That's difficult. The idea isn't to be difficult.
#40 of 41 Old 05-26-2003, 11:17 AM

I thought I'd do a little online research and found this on the pigeon.org website:

"Pigeons are grain eaters. While park pigeons will eat bread, most domestic birds have been raised on a multi-grain mixture and have never seen a slice of it. In fact, they would likely ignore it as possible food. Instead of bread, you might try feeding them something else from around the house. Popcorn (maize), rice, split peas, barley, buckwheat (kasha), canary seed, etc., are all good first options to feed a lost bird with. THESE GRAINS SHOULD NOT BE COOKED OR POPPED BUT FED RAW. Water should also be provided since pigeons normally drink immediately after eating."

http://www.pigeon.org/carelostbird.htm

#41 of 41 Old 05-26-2003, 11:20 AM

Interesting how somehow we've gone from baking challah to the care and feeding of park pidgeons. I love you ladies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page