~December Pagan Mama's Circle~ - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 618 Old 12-13-2006, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmama View Post
Lets just touch with our eyes for now so the tree can rest, okay?
3 yo then procedes to place his eyeball on the treebranch and say "My eye is touching the tree!"
:

I once said that to my kids and my quick to respond 5 yr old said, "But how am I supposed to touch with my eyes! I would poke my eyeballs out. " I now make sure I say, "Only look with your eyes."
#302 of 618 Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maeveypoo View Post
Happy early Yule and Winter Solstice ladies!

I may be away for a while as contractions started last night and then petered out (yay for a few hours of sleep )and then have started up again this morning!! Whee!!
Oh good luck! Have a wonderful experience bringing your new family member into the world if things get moving again!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
Cari: I feel for you. I have been very good about what we are getting people, but I just love buying holiday gifts. LOL I am such a lame-o. I don't know. Dh gets a bonus this time of year and I just go nuts. Oh well. :

H
Hehe glad I'm not the ONLY one! But I am VERY proud to say not a single cent of it was on credit!!! So come january my family will be enjoying the pressies with no guilt for me

Quote:
OK so we are major goobs, but we alter some of the fun Christmas songs and say either Solstice or Yule (Have a Holy Jolly Solstice). And we sing songs about winter (ie Winter wonderland, Jingle Bells) But there are a few Christmas songs that I just love (Holy Night) that we just sing cuz they are good. I think what I love best about celebrating Yule/Solstice is that we get to make up our own traditions. I know you can with any holiday, but this is different to me. I search around for tradional stuff and we get ideas from Pagan centered books. It is fun and the kids really love it.
If any of you are looking for something for kids to do there is a website called Pookaschild (I think) and the woman who does it has a newsletter that comes out on the 8 sabbats.

H
I admit I LOVE christmas songs... Oh little child of bethlehem is a favorite of mine, but I just choose to think of that child as being the sun rather than the sun

Quote:
So how long does it take to thaw a turkey? That does sound good. I even have a place to keep the turkey while it sits in the brine.

Oh and on another food topic... EGGS! I have eggs coming out of my ears. When we got the new hens no one laid eggs and now all 4 are. We get 4 eggs a day, and don't eat nearly that many. LOL And on an up note the hens don't lay till around 9 am so everyone is quiet until then. Then it is an hour or so of then making alot of noise then they all are quiet again! AHHH!

H
A couple of days at least to thaw a turkey in the fridge.. although you can speed thaw it a little faster if you put it in a big container of water and change the water like every half hour so it stays cold. DH & I talked about getting chooks one day (chickens for us aussies lol) and I was suprised that he liked the idea!! Good to knwo that they get a bit rowdy at laying time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Hmmm...theres a wikipedia article on 12th night at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth..._%28holiday%29 but it talks mostly of the Christian origins and roots. There is some mention of pagan leanings in the character of the Lord of Misrule.

excellent will have to check that out, I have no clue about 12th night! I also had to have a giggle at your sig line ...your frosty stone girl cracked me up!

I'm off tomorrow morning for some me time! I am dropping off some prefolds and covers to a mum from a local nappy trading post, she's due in JUNE and already getting her stash together! WTG hehe.. I have a sneaking suspicion she is also pagan (she sells nursing jewelry on a wahm mall here and has lots of amber for easing teething and wine charms with Goddess's on them!) SO I may meet my first local pagan mum tomorrow!!!! Then I'm off to get a bit of pampering at the beauty salon... getting my hair cut & coloured some funky shade of red, I'm thinking a nice wine tone maybe and then a cuppa with a girlfriend! Pardon the novel posts, but with the 3 little ones and the holidays I have having a hell of a time keepin up with you ladies lol!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#303 of 618 Old 12-13-2006, 10:08 PM

I feel like I should post something here since I have not in awhile.

I'm going to try and ward the bedroom tonight. I have had bad dreams these past couple nights wrt my son who passed away. So much so that I called in sick to work tonight because I'm just so shaken by them. And the cheeryness at work just does NOT help.

Irt holidays.... I have never been one for xmas music. It actually gives me stomach aches. :

But... I gtg because DH is gonna show me how to dl interface options for WoW.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#304 of 618 Old 12-13-2006, 10:08 PM

oops

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#305 of 618 Old 12-13-2006, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

: Hubby was shopping for gifts for me and found this site: http://www.periodcorsets.com/ This stuff is too $$$ but I thought some of you might enjoy looking...

Emmama~ such a pretty tree and I loooove your fingerless gloves!

Mamaofthree~ about eggs! When our ladies were producing a lot I made fritatas- it's nice because you can use left over rice or pasta. I also made the Cheery Cheese Casserole from the Super Baby Food book which is easy(if you want the recipe, I'll post it). I shared a lot of eggs with family and friends. My good friend's dp is a fisherman, so they would trade fresh fish for eggs.

Love to you lovely ladies!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#306 of 618 Old 12-13-2006, 11:17 PM

Salvia: i would love the recipe. Thanks. I am giving some of the eggs away tomorrow at our homeschool park day.

Ok so I could not stand it and I gave dh his gift early. (I have always been bad that way with his stuff. LOL )
I got him a great leather motorcycle jacket. He looks so damn sexy! LOL

Hey this was our first year of holiday shopping where we put nothing on credit! I am very happy about that.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#307 of 618 Old 12-13-2006, 11:38 PM

I haven't had a credit card since 1998. I like not having to worry about that.

Of course, I'm still way behind in phone and electric bill payments. I always feel as though I'm being chased for money.

Hey, can someone send me some wonderful energy so that I can get lots of laundry done on Thursday and also clean my son's room? I'm really lagging behind with cleaning.
#308 of 618 Old 12-13-2006, 11:44 PM

Good luck! I am always doing the wash.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#309 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 12:17 AM

Maveypoo- you probably won't see my post but you are in my thoughts! thoughts you way!!!

I was done for the day and everyone got even more chatty!

Ambrose- I was thinking about you this morning!

If anyone could send me some positive energy, I would appreciate it! I am on the cusp of making a very big decision...to either ask for a continuation of my leave for another year or to quit my job.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#310 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 12:49 AM

Emmama, Kleine Hexe: :

CariOfOz: you stole my idea! Been planning a hair makeover for awhile now, and I too was thinking deep wine/really purplish burgundy. Though I'll probably be doing highlights. I'll post a pic if you do!

Ambrose:

Salvia: Those corsets are GORGEOUS! Loved the pics in the Salon . . .

OdeToJoy, brendon: for your various endeavors.

And to all!
#311 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 02:26 AM

Im SO excited!

I have been wanting some real holly so badly, for my altar and decorating, but had no clue how to go about getting it. I figured on payday, I would go around trying to get it.

But, the universe has already heard my and given my request!

I ran out to my dads tonight to borrow his fax machine, and I walk in his garage and there are 3 bags of fresh holly! I told him oh wow! where did you get it, i've been wanting some. And he says "take it! I bought it for a fundraiser and now I dont know what to do with it!"

im so happy! It looks so pretty! :

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#312 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 02:51 AM

We got holly last year for the altar. It got very very spiky when it dried. LOL But it looked so lovely. I have no idea where I got it. Which sucks, cuz I wanted a little.

H

#313 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
: Hubby was shopping for gifts for me and found this site: http://www.periodcorsets.com/ This stuff is too $$$ but I thought some of you might enjoy looking...

Emmama~ such a pretty tree and I loooove your fingerless gloves!

Mamaofthree~ about eggs! When our ladies were producing a lot I made fritatas- it's nice because you can use left over rice or pasta. I also made the Cheery Cheese Casserole from the Super Baby Food book which is easy(if you want the recipe, I'll post it). I shared a lot of eggs with family and friends. My good friend's dp is a fisherman, so they would trade fresh fish for eggs.

Love to you lovely ladies!
Nice corsets! : at the price tags though! I make a lot of frittatas as well.. quiches are good, and you can freeze them! A lot of moms here make a big batch of mini quiches and freeze them, and put a few in their kids lunch boxes for school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
I haven't had a credit card since 1998. I like not having to worry about that.

Hey, can someone send me some wonderful energy so that I can get lots of laundry done on Thursday and also clean my son's room? I'm really lagging behind with cleaning.
YAY for zero credit! I have one balance but no active card. Working on getting rid of that one too I'll gladly share my house cleaning vibes... right after I find them lol. I have a lot of laundry to get done too.. and the boys rooms ALWAYS need rescue-ing so I'll be your cleaning buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth Junky View Post
CariOfOz: you stole my idea! Been planning a hair makeover for awhile now, and I too was thinking deep wine/really purplish burgundy. Though I'll probably be doing highlights. I'll post a pic if you do!
Hehe You're on : I love red hair... I used to work night shift in a job where we prayed for quiet nights. One of my coworkers and I took great delight in rockin up to work with some new shade of red hair every month or so Depending on how the budget looks I might come home with some funky foils thrown in

There used to be a HUGE holly bush at my aunts house =) Unfortunately I am on another continent or I'd go pruning and be the holly faerie *gryn* Never knew it was toxic though

#314 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 04:37 AM

I doubt I'll ever keep up with this thread! My mum is visiting which is stressing me out majorly & we've sold our house & are currently having "issues" with the land agent over the commision. Not to mention I am about to have to go live in a bus with no power & water & 2 small children if I don't get my butt into gear asap. So I have been a tad distracted.

Before I forget - those corsets are beautiful : The price tags are very huge. Maybe I need to learn to sew for new years

I'm definitely going to do a short ceremony for the summer solstice on the beach. I was considering a dawn vigil so I could work out where the sunlight first hit for next year but then I thought about it. : Like I'd be able to make it up with the kids & be organised at that time of the morning not to mention whether it would not be overcast. I was also considering doing a naming ceremony for dd#1's dd at the same time.

I'm working on what to put on our altar. I've found some unusual shells & stones recently & there's tonnes of beautiful flowers in the bush. I may make some flax figures too.

As to the eggs, I have a recipe for a 20 egg chocolate cake. I make it usually for whatever solstice is closest to when the chooks all come back on the lay. I made it for winter solstice this year. I have sussed a scaled down version which needs 11 eggs instead. I can post it if you would like. I guess you could make a pavlova as well. dh doesn't like it so I never make it but I could dig out a recipe for that too. It's kind of almost obligatory NZ xmas food. It's very nice with cream & fruit. I guess you could do passion fruit & kiwi fruit with it in the winter?
#315 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 04:46 AM

Quote:
We got holly last year for the altar. It got very very spiky when it dried. LOL But it looked so lovely. I have no idea where I got it. Which sucks, cuz I wanted a little.

H
I could send you some, if you like--we have two 20-foot holly trees at our house.
#316 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma View Post
I doubt I'll ever keep up with this thread! My mum is visiting which is stressing me out majorly & we've sold our house & are currently having "issues" with the land agent over the commision. Not to mention I am about to have to go live in a bus with no power & water & 2 small children if I don't get my butt into gear asap. So I have been a tad distracted.

I'm definitely going to do a short ceremony for the summer solstice on the beach. I was considering a dawn vigil so I could work out where the sunlight first hit for next year but then I thought about it. : Like I'd be able to make it up with the kids & be organised at that time of the morning not to mention whether it would not be overcast. I was also considering doing a naming ceremony for dd#1's dd at the same time.

I'm working on what to put on our altar. I've found some unusual shells & stones recently & there's tonnes of beautiful flowers in the bush. I may make some flax figures too.

As to the eggs, I have a recipe for a 20 egg chocolate cake. ?
Your dh doesn't like PAV???? : Keeping up with LIFE is definitely more important than keeping up with this thread! Will think positive thoughts for you... sounds very stressful I'd LOVE to do a sunrise ritual on the beach...that would be incredibly energizing I think. I'm a dolphin at heart.. the ocean is amazingly cleansing for me, nobody could watch the littlies so you could escape for a little while?

Our Solstice altar (summer solstice is my dining room hutch...its got my old fashioned santa on it, the usual cauldron & pent and a little offering dish. It also has a fake ball of mistletoe , candles galore in every type of holder imaginable, and TINSEL and a big glittery 5pt star (courtesy of 4yr old) Absolutely not what one thinks when you hear the world 'altar' but oh well

#317 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 09:56 AM

I discovered a couple of holly bushes at the local grocery store plaza. heh heh. Can't really start cutting pieces off though. Probably get in trouble.

There's a lovely nature reserve park near me and they do have an herb cutting garden. Wonder if they have any holly nearby that I could trim.

I've decorated with holly before and learned the lesson of wearing thick gloves while handling the stuff. Ouch!
I'm a bit nervous about bringing holly into the house though because it is
poisonous. I could leave the berries out...I suppose.
I can't use evergreens when decorating because I'm allergic to it. I'm allergic to sooo many trees. Heck, I'm allergic to most of the natural world.
Sad thing for a pagan.
#318 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 09:57 AM

Hey, I'm finally trying to come up with senior title. Yeah, I'm slow. LOL. Just can't decide on anything.
#319 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 10:22 AM

I haven't had a credit card since 1997. I can say that I won't be buying holiday gifts on credit, but I don't know if that's somethign to be proud of as nobody in their right mind would give me a credit card, ever. :

Holly Berries make me nervous too, but I know that at least one of my kids would eat them, possibly two. BeanBean discovered the berries on the bush outside last summer (he calls them "barberrians, get it mom?") and we asked him not to eat them, knowing he'd leave them alone. That wouldn't stop BooBah, though; she still finds dog food really appealing and doesn't quite understand why I don't want her to eat it. Bella, of course, is an infant and will only put things into her mouth if she can reach them.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#320 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 10:32 AM

*laughs* My Mom's favorite pic of me is sitting in the dog food bowl and eating it.

I did use my macys card this year but is has a very low limit and we will pay it off in jan, so no interest!

Other than macys, I only shopped used, consignment, momma made or karen made and local!!!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#321 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 06:04 PM

My dd, she's 8. She's in 2nd grade. She would like to share some things with her class about the holidays that she celebrates. Various classmates have done this...about Channaukah, etc.

She really wants to share some things about Yule or Winter Solstice. It seems it's pretty impotrant to her. What i'm looking for is for kid-oriented information about the return of the sun, etc.

I am really trying to help her out. Just so she has something to share, it would be great!

Mama to 14yo, 9yo, 7yo, and babe born 9/2012
#322 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 07:10 PM

Wow, this thread moves fast! For those looking for holly, you could always ask at a florist shop. You could probably get a small bundle for $5-10.

I thought I'd share pictures of our tree, a swag I made, and our fireplace mantel. The tree is kind of sad, LOL. My 2 year old has been pretty destructive with the ornaments, so we didn't put many on. I like the way the mantle turned out. It's starting to look sorta alter-ish. Sorta. After I took those pictures, DD and I went out to my family cemetary and gathered some leaves and a branch from the old, old oaks and added those to the mantle, too.
#323 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 07:14 PM

I just had to get that out. Sometimes people really make me wonder....

Ever hear something so : that all you can do is ?

Back to the regular thread.....
#324 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 PM

Well, now you have to share the story!
#325 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 07:29 PM

Tell us! Don't leave us hanging!

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#326 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
of our tree, a swag I made, and our fireplace mantel.
I like the swag! Pretty! And I bet it smells wonderful.
#327 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 09:10 PM

This thread is on speed or something. :P

Man it moves fast, I've been missing so much!

Maybe I'll be able to keep up with it better in Jan...... oh, what I'll be moving then.....OK I'll try to actively join in in march after the move it over.
#328 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 09:35 PM

Ya, I can't keep up either. I've been too busy watching the secret. Seriously, I watched it twice just today.
#329 of 618 Old 12-14-2006, 09:56 PM

*laughs* yes, we have to know kleine hexe!!

#330 of 618 Old 12-15-2006, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midstreammama View Post
My dd, she's 8. She's in 2nd grade. She would like to share some things with her class about the holidays that she celebrates. Various classmates have done this...about Channaukah, etc.

She really wants to share some things about Yule or Winter Solstice. It seems it's pretty impotrant to her. What i'm looking for is for kid-oriented information about the return of the sun, etc.

I am really trying to help her out. Just so she has something to share, it would be great!
that's not too hard. she'd maybe have to give some background information about the other solar holidays for it to make sense, but maybe not. maybe start with "well, you know how it's been getting darker earlier? well, on Solstice, it's the shortest day and longest night of the year. we say the Sun is born that day, because starting the day after Solstice, each day gets longer minute by minute until Summer Solstice, when the days get shorter again".....blah blah blah. you know, and some people believe the goddess gives birth to the god, and some people do the holly/oak king thing. or maybe that is too complicated. just make it simple. 8yo's are pretty smart; they could look up the sunrise and sunset times to see for themselves. your dd could suggest they do that on their own time. maybe look on the "local on the 8's" on the weather channel; it usually has sunrise times.

then maybe "in our family, we get up and watch the sunrise, and leave offerings to the newborn sun" or "we bring a pine tree into the house and decorate it, to symbolize life amidst the rest of the world dying" or whatever your family does.

thank you for the Frosting!! i wasn't sure whether to bother feeling left out or not, until someone else mentioned it as i'm not really all that active on the list. but i do read every post!

Maiasaura

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page