~December Pagan Mama's Circle~ - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies!

I just wanted to pop on quickly and let you all know that Ander was born this morning at 2:29am at home and dh caught him in our bathtub!

After having had prodromal labour since my last post things started to pick up last night, so I paged my midwife. We had planned to birth at a birthcenter, but he called back and told us that they hadn't had power for the past few days (big storms over here). I decided to take a bath and see if that would slow things down Nope, not quite! We paged the midwife again and she arrived about 5 minutes after Ander was born.

It was beautiful! And Dustin is so very much the proud papa right now!

Light and Laughter to all of you!
~Jen
#362 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 06:01 PM

Yeah for the new baby!

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#363 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 06:38 PM

Congratulations, maeveypoo!

And remember, my offer still stands to bring over food if ever you need . . . just PM me!
#364 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 06:39 PM

: and Ander!

Way to go Mama and Papa!
#365 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 06:53 PM

Congrats!!! : :
#366 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midstreammama View Post
I washed dds Tamagotchi and I felt pretty bad about it because she really liked it. So, I decided that I would get her another one. Well, dd2 is pretty in love with it, so I was going to get her one. I had a $20gc and the Tomigatchis came to $30, I think. I also had a $5 cupon off $25 purch....so I needed $5 stinking dollars, I was going to charge that but didn't have the cc. Well, I look in my purse and there are 5 dollar bills, woot!

That sort of changed my outlook on things for the rest of the day.

Thanks for the suggestions about solstice. I think we have some things to talk about now. It's not really presentations that they have to do....one girl in the class talked about the Hannaukah( i don't think i'll ever spell that right)
and it made dd really want to talk about yule, solstice and paganism. I had to explain to her that some of her friends might not want to play with her after they go home and tell their parents about what she talked about. She didn't care. She said it was more important that she talk about it and she'll still have some friends so its okay. I'm so pround of her, she amazes me everyday.
Way to go you manifesting mama Your dd is quite a smart little cookie there too btw... it's a pathetic shame that she even has to think about that though :

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post

Mike took the kids to his parents' house last night. In the morning, I talked to Bean. "If your aunt starts talking about god, what do you say?" "You can talk about god when my parents are around. I'll go get daddy." "Right. Because different people believe different things about god, and your aunt has some very strange ideas that daddy and I don't agree with." Bean looked up at me and said, "So does Teal'c. He's always talking about this guy who thinks he's god." "Who do you mean?" "I don't remember his name. He's one of the goa'uld."

We talked a little longer, and I had the distinct impression that my son is under the impression that Jesus is/was a goa'uld. : That's what they get for trying to turn god into a person! :
Mwhahaha maybe bean should say that to your aunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
My girls received the fisher price manger set from great grandma. it is kinda cute...but scarey! : she asked and I said it was o.k. My dd has no clue who the people are, as in the bible stories. she knows the babies mom and dad are mary and joseph and the baby is jesus. *laughs* jesus gets into trouble alot at our home. "Now Jesus, it is time for bed. Get to bed!" "No candy for breakfast."

Did I mention that I went ahead and asked for one more year leave (though I didn't need to until next may). *ahhh* I feel better! Now if we get pregnant that will start a whole nother conversation!
LOL I've seen the manger set... sorta cute. What I really want though, is the santa/sleigh & reindeer set!!! THAT was too adorable.. but 40 bucks OUCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMomof3 View Post
DH and I went to Borders yesterday and we were in the Pagan/Wiccan/New Age section looking at books, when DH pulled out a book and was flipping through it and found a Christian pamphlet tucked inside. The title of it is "The Cults: Where they go wrong" and on the back someone hand wrote "millions of Christians die to spread the gospel. This is the least I can do for the Kingdom! God asked me to place this here for you!" : Yeah, I promptly pulled it out and I'm going to throw it away. I don't mind if you believe something different than me, but don't shove your beliefs and literature down my throat!
OMG that would give me a major case of the $*&@#!!! I'd have taken the thing to the manager and said since some of your customers are rude UA violations, you need to have your staff periodically check for this sort of crap. Amazing.. ppl prosteltyze without even having to confront you so you can say b*gger off :

Quote:
Originally Posted by maeveypoo View Post
I just wanted to pop on quickly and let you all know that Ander was born this morning at 2:29am at home and dh caught him in our bathtub!
~Jen
Oh wow h ow exciting!! Congratulations on your new little man!! And how special for daddy to be able to be the one there to catch him

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#367 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 07:13 PM

Congratulations maeveypoo!

Valérie   
#368 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 07:35 PM

Congratulations maeveypoo and family!!!

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#369 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 07:42 PM

Jen- Congrats! The birth sounds beautiful!
#370 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 07:57 PM

Maveypoo
: to you and your family! A new little one in the house is so fun! Happy Birthday Ander!

CariofOz - they had a sleigh?

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#371 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 08:40 PM

Congrats, Maeve!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#372 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 09:40 PM

CONGRATUALTIONS!!!!!!!!!! Best wishes for peace, joy, love, and all good things for you and the babe!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#373 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, Jen and Welcome Ander! The birth sounds wonderful!

The recipe I promised:

Cheery Cheese Casserole

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, mix in this order:

3 beaten eggs
1/2 cup oil or melted butter
1/2 cup soy milk or cow's milk
1 cup cottage cheese
2 cups grated Jack or cheddar cheese
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
brewer's yeast (my addition)

Pour smooth mixture into butter casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes until set.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#374 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Maveypoo
: to you and your family! A new little one in the house is so fun! Happy Birthday Ander!

CariofOz - they had a sleigh?
They do!! It was awesome, they also have a 'tree lighting in such & such square' set that was adorable hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
:The recipe I promised:

Cheery Cheese Casserole

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, mix in this order:

3 beaten eggs
1/2 cup oil or melted butter
1/2 cup soy milk or cow's milk
1 cup cottage cheese
2 cups grated Jack or cheddar cheese
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
brewer's yeast (my addition)

Pour smooth mixture into butter casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes until set.

oh... oh.. we like that a lot!!! But I have NEVER found jack cheese here in aus darnit! and that just sounds so nice right now.. cheddar would do ok I guess. Sounds very nice! Think I'll get the stuff for it & make it on the solstice since the big meal is going to be on xmas day.

SO, y'all ever seen a blind woman try to do housework? lol.. I am just hilarious.. can't see squat but I know it's there! Kids are loving it.. they can get away with stuff because if they are more than a few feet away I can't see their faces at all so no idea what faces they are making or what mumbling they are doing hehehe. Maybe I should just give it up as a bad joke and sit here, drink coffee, and gab with you ladies all day?

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#375 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail View Post
We're getting out Yule tree this weekend, and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for a token or gift I can leave for the forest spirits. It's an organic tree lot, so I have to think about it in terms of that. We will probably be out there with the tree lot owner, since we know him pretty well. Any thoughts?
birdseed, of course!

Maiasaura

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#376 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley4 View Post
how do you guys handle door to door people who are trying to convince you to join thier religion? we had 2 come by today, and i kept saying "i'm not interested", and they just kept rambling on and on didn't understand why i didn't want to hear it. then, of course, i had to explain to the kids why those people really really wanted us to believe the same things as them, and why we don't. it's hard to be respectful, and still get them to leave!
well, the few times it has happened to me, first of all, i can tell what's going to happen by the way they are dressed. also possibly carrying a book. so i have a heads-up. and they usually start by saying something like "we'd like to ask you a few questions".

back in my drinking days, i was just getting ready to pop a beer....so, i popped the can, dragging out that "pfffffffffft" sound...and handed it, saying "want a beer?" they got out of there right fast

the last time it happened, i said, very confidently, "this is a Pagan household" to which they mostly gave me blank looks and then looked at each other like "what do we do with THIS one?!?"

anyway, they were Mormons. they said look over the book and see if there was anything in there that floated my boat, as it were. i did, and there wasn't. they said they'd be back a week later to talk to me, but they never came back.

oh well!

Maiasaura

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#377 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
and chestnut stuffing, plum pudding, cranberry-orange sauce, wild rice with golden raisins, all sorts of yum!)
oh. my. word. this sounds SO yummy! please post recipes!

Maiasaura

#378 of 618 Old 12-16-2006, 11:53 PM

Salvia, that recipe sounds good! It reminds me of something my mother used to make on Yule morning.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
#379 of 618 Old 12-17-2006, 12:06 AM

The spiritual center of the Mormon faith (well, one center anyway....Hill Cumorah isn't that far from here) is not far from where I live...so we get a lot of very "young" missionaries and growing up we learned a lot about the Mormon faith in school (both officially as part of our "religions of the world" non-religious class and from Mormon classmates on the playground).

The oddest factoid is that the movie Witness (remember? oh so yummy Harrison Ford living with the Amish?), when it was translated into different languages, in many cases "Amish" was translated as "Mormon". Which is just a very odd mental wiggle. Hmmmm...we have a large Amish (primarily members of different Mennonite traditions) population around here too. Coincidence?

Then again, this is the burned over region so you never know what will turn up when people here set their minds towards the spiritual!

That actually makes me wonder....so many religions were born (and died) here. Thinking back on our conversations about the spirit of place and the influence an area can have on spiritual matters or the other way round (influence of human belief on the environment both physical and metaphysical) it makes me wonder what the spirit of upstate/wester NY looks like? They didn't name it the burned over region for nothing...big cults and small seemed to turn up every day, and even now there are odd pockets of spiritual activity. A village almost entirely populated by Spiritualists, a group focused on genetic selection for spiritual superiority that has turned over the years into a successful silverware company (that would be Oneida, btw), female messiahs and transplanted buddhist monestaries. It's amazing what is hidden in these hills. And interesting to think...is there something in the spirit of place/genus loci that is prompting this? Something in the water or rocks that holds an echo or builds an influence? Like the belief that some hauntings are really just "recordings" playing out over and over again?

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#380 of 618 Old 12-17-2006, 03:39 AM

Quote:
The oddest factoid is that the movie Witness (remember? oh so yummy Harrison Ford living with the Amish?), when it was translated into different languages, in many cases "Amish" was translated as "Mormon". Which is just a very odd mental wiggle. Hmmmm...we have a large Amish (primarily members of different Mennonite traditions) population around here too. Coincidence?
Amish and Mennonites are different (I was raised in Lancaster county, and Mike's mother and father were raised Amish and Mennonite, respectively). They're all Anabaptists, though. Sorry, this is a bit of a thing with me.

I remember studying the Oneida colony. It was supposed to be a utopia, no? Weird dudes, and the silverware company is all that remains. Every time I see Oneida silverware in a store, I think of that.

The idea of the land in certain places having a certain spiritual pull is an interesting one to me. Of course, I've read American Gods, and relatively recently (by which I mean in the past six months). I'm curious about this part of the country, too. Pennsylvania was founded by a Quaker and on the principal of religious freedom, so it stands to reason that groups like the Amish (pacifists who were persecuted out of their own country) would settle here. It seems likewise reasonable that many other religious groups would make homes in this area. What I don't get is why cetral PA is a hotbed of hyperconservative Christianity at the moment. In this neighborhood, the Santorum stickers *far* outweighed the Casey ones, and loads of people are still driving around with Dubyas on their vehicles. These are people who believe in religious freedom, but only as long as it applies to them and them alone. It's absolutely antithetical to the principals upon which this state was founded. Fascinating.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#381 of 618 Old 12-17-2006, 10:34 AM

hmmm, interesting. I think this could turn into a trip to the local library and historical society. I love our historical society...all the old records of people and places.

I never learned alot about other faiths...mainly lutheran. I used to know alot of about Luther himself but my memory decided it wasn't important enough to store.

I saw a neat movie last night. Dark Kingdom : The Dragon King. I enjoyed the costumes...they seemed accurate.
anyone else seen it?

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#382 of 618 Old 12-17-2006, 12:23 PM

Congratulations MAVEYPOO!!!

We ended up no picking out thew tree, as he had some already cut that were leftover and were going to just get composted, so we took one of those, and he wouldn't even take our money for t. It's such a huge, bushy tree, it's so beautiful. DD1 said it's "lovely"!

Wombatclay, I wonder if there's anything to do with the wide variety of people in that area giving rise to a variety of spiritualities? When I think of New York, I think "melting pot" (having never been there, forgive me if I;m wrong). Could the mix of cultures turn into a spiritual melting pot on anothner plane, where all the spiritual ideas of all these people get mixed up and come out in some new manifestations...
#383 of 618 Old 12-17-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
And interesting to think...is there something in the spirit of place/genus loci that is prompting this? Something in the water or rocks that holds an echo or builds an influence? Like the belief that some hauntings are really just "recordings" playing out over and over again?
That is interesting to think about, Clay. I think the places on the Earth certainly have different degrees and kinds of spiritual influence. Also, it seems to me that different people react differently to that same spiritual influence. Of course, there is also the tendency for small religious groups to seek less populated corners so they won't be bothered.

The spiritual vibe of the Western states is certainly different from the spiritual vibe of Western PA where I grew up. I have always felt that the land of Western PA had been so abused by mining and general dis-service that it's spirit had sunk down deeper. It's still there, but seemed more hidden to me. When I first went to the western states (Utah, New Mexico, Colorado and others) I was blown away by the power of the land. Not that other places are spiritless! Maybe they need to be accessed differently....

Oh, and the recipe I posted is from Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#384 of 618 Old 12-17-2006, 03:33 PM

Eilonwy- no worries! I totally understand wanting to be clear (especially in an online forum where words are, as the play says "all we have to go on") I was trying to say in my post that we have Amish communities AND Mennonite communities in the area. The largest Anabaptist group near here actually identifies as "Amish-Mennonite" however, so since it's their own term I don't fight it. I'm not sure where they fall into the Anabaptist world (not a religious branch I've looked at in any detail) but they seem closer to the "black bumper" than to the "orthodox" groups, if that makes any sense? I can find out more if you're interested though...

Oneida is, by far, my absolute, 100% favorite "fringe group" of all time. I adore them. They were a utopian group that allowed women to were "bloomers" and cut their hair short. They practiced a form of group marriage in which all members were "siblings" but also all members could request "relations" from other members (hetero only however). An individual could deny a request once, but a second request had to be honored or explained in an open forum. They also had open confession and communla absolution. Eventually they decided that a controlled breeding program would allow them to give rise to spiritually advanced children (called Stirpicults). Of course, it soon became clear that the groups founder was the most "spiritually advanced" and so he fathered the most children, even across generations (why does that always seem to be the case?).

The stirpicults were raised communally and in some cases did not know who their biological parents were. They were supposed to avoid emotional attachments to earthly elements (there was a case in which some children were becoming too attached to their dolls/toys...the children organized a ritual in which they burned all the dolls/toys in the community). And they generated a lot of interest so they were always being observed and measured and, well, poked at. It reached approx 3 generations of stirpicults before the whole thing "fell apart". However, these stirpicults were the original stock holders of what is now Oneida silverware...the original community did a variety of crafts to support themselves (including pottery, which they still sell from the original community buildings), but it was the silverware that really took off!

Another favorite group of mine was the community founded by Jemima Wilkins, the "Universal Friend" (called "Friends" but not to be confused with other religious groups using the same terminology!). Short version, she fell into an illness/coma and when she miraculously recovered she claimed to be the female incarnation of Jesus. She was one amazingly cool lady...very in charge of herself and just, well...amazing. Preached in public, wore her hair free and topped off with a man's hat, rode horseback, etc. And fast on her feet too.

One day a group of people asked her to walk on the water of one of the local lakes to "prove" her divine claims. She said "sure thing, meet me there tomorrow". The next morning there was a huge crowd and as she stood on the edge of the lake she asked "Does anyone here not believe that I can walk on the surface of this lake?". Well, the "doubters" all called "oh no, we believe!" (since they thought she'd claim that their lack of belief had prevented her from performing the miracle) and of course her followers all chimed in with the affirmative. Her reply? "Your Faith is precious to me. If you believe then there is nothing to prove." and she turned around and went back to town.

I certainly wouldn't want to pass judgement on her claims (or the claims of any religious group, person, or event), but no matter what, she would have been a very cool lady to know.

Sometimes I wonder if the vibe of the burned over region didn't inspire my own religious studies?

#385 of 618 Old 12-17-2006, 04:45 PM

Congratulations, maeveypoo!
#386 of 618 Old 12-17-2006, 08:44 PM

I took a spill today. I fell down our porch stairs and landed on the concrete below. it still hurts! (I posted my story in TAO).

Anyone familiar with Iceland? The movie we watched yesterday talked about the queen of Iceland and now I am interested. I am iceing my knee and reading online, so any reading material is fine by me.

The good news to this is that i finished the photo quit I was making for MIL/FIL.

#387 of 618 Old 12-17-2006, 11:26 PM

you know......forgive me, but this is the only Oneida i ever heard of:
http://oneida-nation.net/BRHISTORY.HTML
i lived in syracuse, too, for 10 years, and i have never heard the story you told of, nor can i find it on google. what gives? wombat, where in NY do you live, and where did you hear that version of Oneida story?

i forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS MAEVYPOO!! : and welcome ander!

Maiasaura

#388 of 618 Old 12-18-2006, 01:30 AM

Quote:
I took a spill today. I fell down our porch stairs and landed on the concrete below. it still hurts! (I posted my story in TAO).

Anyone familiar with Iceland? The movie we watched yesterday talked about the queen of Iceland and now I am interested. I am iceing my knee and reading online, so any reading material is fine by me.

The good news to this is that i finished the photo quit I was making for MIL/FIL.
OUCH Karen, doesn't sound fun! I almost lived in Iceland *sigh* my now ex was air force and we tried to get an assignment there and did a bit of reading on it, but that was about.. 15yrs ago lol. So I'm no help at all.

#389 of 618 Old 12-18-2006, 03:01 AM

Wombatclay: those are some crazy stories! Wow.
I like your thoughts on spirituality of the land hiding itself, Salvia. Here in AZ there are a few real hot spots where people coem from all around to seek something... Sedona is a big one. Lots of cults up there and people seeking whatever they need. Apparently there are energy vortexes (sp). I don't know much about that though. I have a couple friends who live up there part time. Pretty interesting.
I hope you are feeling better Brendon. Falling sucks!

Dh built a pen for the hens! YIPPEE! We have your yard back. I can actually plant things. Our noisy hen was pretty upset yesterday, as she hates all changes, but since her brain is so tiny she forgot today. And the eggs! I thought they didn't lay as much in the winter! I have been giving away dozens of eggs!

We are actually getting some winterish weather! We might get snow in the higher elevations this week! Yeah! Today started out warmish (low 60's) but by sundown was in the high 40's!
I went with ordering the dinner. I was having second thoughts after seeing the movie "The Future of Food" but dh had talked to FIL and he was really wanting prime rib, so we went with it. I feel after that movie, though that I am going to take a good long look at what and how we eat and make some changes.
I think if we get the rain here on Tuesday (and cold weather for us... 52 degrees!) I will take the kids to see a movie. There is a remake of that Wilbur movie, that looks cute and I think all 4 kids can sit thru it. LOL

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#390 of 618 Old 12-18-2006, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
There is a remake of that Wilbur movie ....
That would be Charlotte's Web. I adored the book as a child, but don't think I'm going to attempt the movie again with dd. I bought the old animated version over the summer and tried to watch it with her. She didn't seem interested and just played in the floor through most of it while I watched. Later on, she cornered me and kept saying over and over, "Don't shoot the pig, mommy. Don't kill the pig!" Later in the day it morphed into "Don't shoot me, mommy, don't kill me!" It was AWFUL. She went on like that for a week or two but seems to have forgotten about it. I felt so terrible for not recognizing that that might be an issue; I just didn't remember being freaked out about that part of the movie at all.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page