~December Pagan Mama's Circle~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2006, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Jennisee! Welcome to our cozy circle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2006, 11:36 PM

Welcome Jennisee! my journey into paganism began not long ago and it has only strengthened since being part of this circle!!!!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 12-03-2006, 11:53 PM

Welcome Jennisee!

Wombatclay, that's really interesting. I'm still shaken about the Holly King...

Ambrose, I wanted you to know that you have inspired me to get in gear and commit to being a Canadian Holiday Helper (esp on your other thread).
Old 12-03-2006, 11:53 PM

Jennisee:

Love your siggy, btw.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the warm, warm welcome, everyone.

Can anyone recommend a good book(s) or website(s) for a "starting point?" I feel like I know just enough to be dangerous, LOL, but I think I'm lacking in putting it all together in the big picture. I'm especially interested in sorting out which traditions have been substantiated, for lack of a better word, and which ones have been misrepresented, such as the example Wombatclay gave.

ETA: Never mind. I see Salvia bumped a great thread.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
We went down to the Commons this morning (a pedestrian mall that runs through the heart of our town, it's about 3 blocks from my house) to watch Santa arrive. The local SWAT team dresses like elves and the captain dresses like Santa and they rappel down the side of one of the taller buildings on the Commons. Right as Santa started coming down the rope it began o snow really hard...it was perfect!
LOL that sounds fabulous! I've decided to make some plywood xmas decorations for the yard... I'm going to have melting snowmen wearing sunglasses & aussie 'cork' hats, and elves that are wearing tank tops and board shorts and flip flops hehehe. And maybe next year a santa to lol in a lounge chair... he'll be decked out in tropical gear as well of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
CariOfOz: I participated with Plan once, and it's great! Unfortunately we got to where we could no longer afford to sponsor our child, and that was :. You're going to enjoy it -- it's one of those things I'd like to do again once our finances are back on track.
Good luck with your FIN sale! We are so excited about our sponsor child, we got her picture and she is a gorgeous little thing. The photo with her father he didn't look very happy.. but I can imagine if I were in his position I would feel a bit humiliated as well. But we hope to have a friendly relationship with him as well and hope he will see that we dont' think of what we are doing as charity, but as one family giving another a bit of help. We have very much been wanting to be a sponsor family for a long time and we have finally gotten things together so we could and it feels great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma View Post
I live in NZ, way down south by the ocean. Strictly speaking over a harbour but the ocean is on the other side of us over the other side of the peninsula. I certainly could not live out of sight of the sea now.

I'm on a mission to look for decent kids books this week. Any suggestions ? I also was considering getting my middle dd some tarot cards for xmas. She is almost 6 & is very good with pictures & symbols. I had read somewhere that the tarot of the cat people was good for kids. I'm still deciding if she is too young as well.
My brother in law lives in Dunedin and my hubby grew up in Queenstown/Arrowtown. One of these days he's going to take me there, but it could be dangerous as I'd never want to leave! I've never seen the tarot you mentioned so not much help there sorry.

*I've got the tree up (fake but oh well) and the kids helped decorate it yesterday, it's beautiful of course Playing the xmas music (this is the one time I can handle all the god references and look the other way hehe) and trying to get in the holiday spirit..some good pagan style holiday music would be fun though : if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 12-04-2006, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail View Post
Ambrose, I wanted you to know that you have inspired me to get in gear and commit to being a Canadian Holiday Helper (esp on your other thread).
Oh you do not know how happy that make me feel!! I'm so so glad that you have commit to helping!

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 AM

subbing....
Old 12-04-2006, 10:31 AM

We've got a tree with lights, and we discuss the Solstice and the trees (outside) just about every day. There are no other decorations on the tree, though, as I'm totally tapped. I think that next year, I'll have the kids make little suns and candles to decorate the tree.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 PM

I'm making those little citrus fruit decorations (where you slice oranges and lemons into thin slices and let them dry?) and it's working better than I expected! For some reason I thought they'd probably turn brown and shrivel up, but they're actually very "sun-like". I can't wait to hang them on the tree and in the windows!

They even smell all citrusy. Mmmmm. I think I'll try the dried apples next to see if my "crafter luck" holds.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 12-04-2006, 12:44 PM

Ooh, I have the Pampered Chef mandoline...I bet that would be perfect for slicing the fruit into slices.

How do I dry them? Lay them flat or hang them to dry?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:48 PM

Last night I had a moonlit walk under an almost full moon among my llamas. Snow was falling down, the air is brisk and fresh, and my long lashed gentle beasts have a connection with nature and with each other that is quite profound. This is what the solstice is for me.

Greenlee's Forest *intentional jewelry* a secret Journal locket!
Me My Blog Mama to 7 babes & four spirit babies
Old 12-04-2006, 12:55 PM

Ode- I put a towel on a metal baking sheet, laid the slices flat on the towel and put the whole thing on top of a cast iron radiator in the sun. After about an hour I turned them over. Another hour and I propped the slices up on the edge of the tray so that air could reach both sides. Since then I've just been turning them over every now and then but leaving them propped up. It's been two days now and I think they're just about "done".

I wish I'd had a mandolin since the thicker slices are taking A LOT longer to dry out!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 12-04-2006, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm making those little citrus fruit decorations (where you slice oranges and lemons into thin slices and let them dry?) and it's working better than I expected! For some reason I thought they'd probably turn brown and shrivel up, but they're actually very "sun-like". I can't wait to hang them on the tree and in the windows!
I used lemon,lime and orange slices hanging from the hazelnut branch I put up over the livingroom window. They are so bright and sunny! I put up some little white lights and at night they shine through the citrus slices. Pretty! I just dried mine on a cookie rack.

I want to try the dried apricot idea- got to remember to get some today!

Greenlee~ your walk sounds so nice! : (<--- the eyelashes are very llama-like).

Welcome, Jennisee!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 12-04-2006, 01:24 PM

Greenlee- That sounds so nice!!!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:44 PM

Since oranges are coming into season here I'll have to get some and dry them. I have a dehydrator so I'll try using that. Should be a fun project with the kids. Maybe I'll do that and it'll brighten my mood.

We put up our tree last night but it was not done in the right spirit. DH was very tired and cranky since he had been at work all night and morning. We wanted to wait because he was not in the mood put my 5 yr old had been *whining* for three days to get the tree up. Now the living room is a wreck. Boxes everywhere from the decorations, furniture pushed all around, I need to vacuum, sigh. I just can't seem to get into the spirit of the holidays.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:41 PM

Salvia~ how do you prevent fruit flies from gorging on your fruit?

Old 12-04-2006, 02:49 PM

<------------holy moly batman!!!!!!! : :

May the PM-ing begin!

Old 12-04-2006, 03:28 PM

You know it's kind of funny...we have a real fruit fly problem but I haven't seen any on the drying fruit. Maybe the citrus oil is inhibiting them? I'd imagine the apricot might be a bit more tempting though...

Old 12-04-2006, 03:55 PM

fly-by subbing here, got another couple of crazy weeks before blissful sanity, I hope

wanna see the newest thing I'm doing? Eclectic Cauldron My store is Aurelia

Brenda- Blessed wahmama to Sara(7) & Alex(5) 7/10 & 9/10 Living the crazy life with dh David & Charlie on our little urban farm!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:59 PM

neat site! Thanks for sharing!

we made fudge last night. it was a new recipe and it just didn't come out right. *shrugs*

I saw a book today on wands...it was for kids and came with a small wand. i only had a brief moment to look at it. it was at a scholastic book fair (which makes me think it wouldn't be very acurate).

scrubbed the kitchen floor on hands and knees...*ouch*

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 12-04-2006, 05:10 PM

I have this old family recipe for fudge that is real good. It's simple & it works pretty well. All you do is bung a tin of evaporated milk ( non nestle of course ) , 1lb brown sugar & 3oz butter in a pot. Cook slowly until the sugar melts. Turn the heat up a bit & keep stirring. Not all the time but enuf to stop the bottom of the pan burning. It'll boil away & will gradually start bubbling like rotorua mud. When it gets to that stage, put a spoon in a cup of cold water. If it forms a soft ball it is done. If it forms a hard ball it is overdone & you will have toffee! Take it off the heat & beat until it leaves a trail. Somewhere in the middle of the beating, put in some vanilla or whatever flavourings you want. It is relatively forgiving in that if it doesn't set, you can just reheat it gently to the bubbly mud stage & cook for a bit longer & then redo the whole beating thing again. You can also make it with milk & maple syrup & butter or I have made it with coconut cream, palm sugar & coconut oil before. It's more a matter of getting the cooking correct so you get the mud stage properly than the exact ingredients you use.

I like washing floors : I'm not really a cleaning but I enjoy sweeping & washing floors. One day I will have a dirt floor I can put strewing herbs on.

Talking of wands, my kids love the Winnie the Witch books. Not exactly accurate or even that pagan but she does funky things with wands!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:21 PM

Hi! I would like to join in your circle. I was once very active in my local pagan community and my coven...but since my daughters were born I find myself not creating the time I would like for my spirituality. The lack of it is starting to be felt....

I am loving the ideas you ladies have for including your children in your activities. Someone on this thread I think mentioned making a sun with a black side and a brightly decorated sun side to hang on the door. I think we are going to steal that idea and the "advent" wreath idea as well.

We celebrate Yule as a spiritual holiday with a big meal, a circle of candles, and a small gift exchange. (something with spiritual meaning, usually hand made) We also celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday that goes hand in hand with Yule. All about peace on earth, family, the spirit of giving (and graceful recieving)

Namaste
Old 12-04-2006, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Laylla!

Brenda~ cool site and fun stuff. Shot- was going to stop buying gifts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
Salvia~ how do you prevent fruit flies from gorging on your fruit?
Quote:
You know it's kind of funny...we have a real fruit fly problem but I haven't seen any on the drying fruit. Maybe the citrus oil is inhibiting them? I'd imagine the apricot might be a bit more tempting though...
No fruit flies on mine either. Forgot to get apricots again today! :

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 12-04-2006, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest View Post
Last night I had a moonlit walk under an almost full moon among my llamas. Snow was falling down, the air is brisk and fresh, and my long lashed gentle beasts have a connection with nature and with each other that is quite profound. This is what the solstice is for me.

Oh that sounds really lovely. Llamas are so cool.

The moon has been so beautiful lately. I have a few pictures I hope to get on the computer soon that I shot of it.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 12-04-2006, 07:04 PM

I watched the moon set Sunday moring. It was huge and yellowish Oragne. I hate getting up at 5 am to get to work by 6, but it was worth seeing that beautiful moon.

The kids and I were out doing some last minute holiday shopping and I found a pretty cool looking book at B and N called "The Winter Solstice" by Ellen Jackson. I have not yet read the book, but it talks about Celts, people in Peru, and a few other places and also has a little science thing going on with the tilt of the Earth. I will be reading it tonight to the kids, so I will let you know if I wasted $7.00 or not. LOL

I have a question for all of you mamas. Some friends and I are having a Baby/Pregnancy blessing for a friends. Any one have any ideas of a sort of ceremony we could do? Here is what we have so far... we are going to set up an altar and give the mama gifts (small things like baby socks, or wooden sppons, and blessings from us to her), we want to have some drumming, we are going to henna her belly, pot luck (of course, we never get together with out sharing food!), we will also do a candle lighting thing so when she goes into labor we will all light our candles and say a prayer/blessing for her. And last time she had a baby we all made meals for them so they didn't have to worry about dinner for 2 weeks. (we are going to do that too!) Any ideas?? Thanks OH and we are all going to bring a bead to make a braclet for mom to wear while in labor.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 12-04-2006, 07:32 PM

Last year I really liked "The Shortest Day" by Wendy Pfeffer (I think that's her name), but it was too heavy for my kids, who were 3 and almost 1 then. I'd like some nice short stories that are Yule-y. Working on writing some, but well, you know. Abby requested I read her a story from Circle Round, so we read the one about the sun being born again and then she asked me to sing the sond after it. It was nice, because in the past when I've asked her if I can read to her for a Sabbat, she hasn't wanted me to, so I've only been doing it if she asks. I was pretty animated when I did it and she was mimicking me, which was cute.

Here's another fudge recipe:
one 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
3 cups chocolate chips
2 Tbsp butter

Melt this together and put it in a greased pan (or one lined with parchment or wax paper). Last year I did this for gifts and made all kinds of flavours:
rocky road (walnuts and marshmallows), mint (mint flavouring and candy canes I ground up in the food processor), mocha (dissolve about a tsp + of instant coffee in hot water)

The scene with the llamas sounded nice.
We're geting our first snowstorm. We've had fun playing in it. My kids love to eat snow
Old 12-04-2006, 07:34 PM

My mom makes rockin' fudge... her recipe is on the back of the marshmellow fluff stuff you get at the store (jet puff I think). Yummy!

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 12-04-2006, 07:47 PM

Rocky road...mmmmm! One of the very very few sweets my mom made when I was a kid. Good stuff.

I was going to do foodnetworks 12 days of cookies but some didn't look so good so I'm sort of doing my own. Every other day instead of every and today is gingerbread day.

Happy Monday!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the well wishes on the yard sale! When it was done, my portion wound up matching what my family is putting in for our FIN's gc! So there's a little more to help out.

to all the new mamas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama in the forest
I wonder if we were moon gazing about the same time last night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay

They even smell all citrusy. Mmmmm. I think I'll try the dried apples next to see if my "crafter luck" holds.
I am SO doing this! We have two orange trees in our yard, so it's perfect! I can pick up a lemon and lime later today from the store. I also have a mandolin and dehydrator, so I'll prolly use those for ease. Thanks for the wonderful idea!

I also have a black walnut tree in the yard, any ideas on how I can incorporate that?

Tomorrow is St. Nick's day, so I'll be working on getting the kids ready for that tonight.

User Tag List