~December Pagan Mama's Circle~ - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2006, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My heritage is all over the place too...

My mother was born in PR and her mother was what is often referred to as a "black" Puerto Rican. We don't know anything about my grandfather other than he was Puerto Rican with mostly likely Italian decent - his last name was Italian and he had a roman nose that he passed on to his daughter.

My father's mother was Penn Dutch. His father's father was born in Dunoon, Scotland and mother was Cree (Métis) and her first languages were French & Métis (a creole of Cree & French). I loved her voice. Both of my great-grandparents died in their late 90's so I have some memory of them.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2006, 12:20 PM

we are off to pick up more books today. I found a book that is supposed to be based on yule and it is similiar to the 12days of christmas song. interesting pictures.

I am so sleepy this morning...I either need more coffee or less.

I hope to pick up a book for me but I never know what the girls will due...

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 12-08-2006, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
I am also learning (yet again!) : that the only safe place for me in MDC land is here. LOL
I feel this way every now and then, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth Junky View Post
Since we're going through heritage here, I am Irish. And Irish, and Irish. And a little bit of German Dutch. DH is 100% Latvian.
Wow. That sounds like me and my DH! Do you have Latvian resources you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I love Gaiman, he rocks. My BeanBean can recite most of The Wolves in the Walls, it's his favorite on that disc.
Holy cow! I was working in the Children's room of a public library a couple years ago when this book had just arrived. I read it and that night it gave me nightmares! A kid's book! I must be pretty sensitive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
So, um, yeah. Mixed. I feel occasionally an affinity with individual deities, but never an entire pantheon, which was my problem with Wicca. How could I celebrate the Summer Solstice, for example, when the deities to whom I felt most attuned were Coyote and Bast?
Two of my favorites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Eilonwy- have you read Pratchett's "Small Gods"? It's based on the idea that gods need believers to remain gods and follows one "small god" on his quest to gain believers and return to his former position of power (the god in question is actually the figurehead diety of a huge religion...but the members of this religion don't actually believe in him, they "believe" in the religion...so he has lost his power/influence/size). It's a lot more light hearted than Gaiman of course, but Pratchett and Gaiman do co-author some thigns so you may enjoy it.
: Oh, Goddess Librarian... I am looking for a new book (just finishing Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke, who is vicious good)- would Small Gods be a good one for me to start with?

So, now that we have all talked about our heritage, a question. As Pagans (or Nature based spiritualists or what ever ) do you believe that it is essential to your practice to connect with/honor the Spirits/Goddesses/Gods of your ancestors, of the land you live, both or neither?

to all!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 12-08-2006, 01:26 PM

Salvia...I don't remember...do you like Terry Pratchett? I love his stuff (it fun and funny, lots of British silliness, interesting characters, etc) and most people I know like him. But some break out in hives when they touch his books.

But if you are looking for something light and fun for the "dark season", Small Gods could be a good choice. My favorite are the books focused on Rincewind (a "wizzard" of sorts) and the City Watch books, but Small Gods was fun. No nightmares, promise!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 12-08-2006, 01:42 PM

Salvia: I don't know. At this time I find myself very pulled towards Gaia and the Greenman. I will call on other gods and goddess for help with something, but those two are my biggies. I feel very connect to them. I guess a more "modern" version of Gaia, or maybe just my own version of her. I see her more as a nuturer, and as the whole planet, something I need to respect and care for. With that I feel very cared for by her. I found the perfect (for me) represntation of her that I saved my pennies for and bought a couple years ago. It looks exactly like how I picture Gaia looking in my head.
I got my kids (especially ds#2) these book about Mother Earth and the four seasons (each being a child/ren of MOther Earth and Father Time) I don't know. Does that answer the question? LOL

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 12-08-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
sounds a LOT like my boys! Might we schmooze the recipe for these delicious goodies out of you?
I'm at my mom's for the weekend so when I get home I'll try to remember.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:09 PM

Ooh, someone listed a link to a really cool site and now I have an impressive Wish List on there for ds. LOL. Although it is a christian based homeschooling resource company, they have some things that lots of pagans would like.
I just wish I had people that were going to buy ds gifts for his birthday and xmas. Ds's birthday falls on the Solstice this year. Yay!
Anyhoo, the site is rainbowresource (dot com).
Old 12-08-2006, 04:10 PM

Rainbow Resource is loads of fun, great prices, very nice people... but the religious aspect verges on creepy. For example, they offer one of the most extensive collections of Messianic kids books I've ever seen... :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 12-08-2006, 04:10 PM

Okay, this is the group that will apprecite this story the most, so I have to share

Last Saturday we were at Ruben's (a local chocolate shop where they hand-mold their chocolates in the Belgin style). We normally stop in on Saturday after lunch for a treat (one piece each), and DS#1 loves to look at all the big shapes they make too.

I took DS#2 to the restroom for a change, and DH and DS#1 were eating their chocloate pieces. The store had an ~ 18" Angel figure on the counter, and DS#1 says to DH "Look, they have a girl fairy!" Of course he was equally excited by the sleigh and snowman chocolates

On heratige I'm mixed European (Irish, a German/French border town for sure, not too much other info), with a maybe dash of NA -- Apparently it's common for people to claim that their grandmother was Cherokee, so now I'm not so sure, but my Mom and her Aunt both are pretty sure that my mom's grandfather spent time with a Cherokee woman, but they aren't sure if she was the mother of his children or not. Apparently at that time in small communities things like that just weren't discussed

-debbie )O( wife to J., mom to P. (12/21), L. (4/30)

Old 12-08-2006, 05:20 PM

Pam_and_Abigail: Making a Yule log is fairly easy; you just need a log that works for you (up to you if you want a half-round with a flat base or a full round that you put on a stand or legs of some sort). We actually drilled three holes in ours, and used white, green, and red candles, but one hole would work as well. DH used a power drill and a spade bit that matched the diameter of our candles. Decorating the Yule log offers plenty of opportunity for creativity as well.

Salvia: Sveika! : Nice to find another Celtic-Baltic pairing! As for sources, I don't really use any . . . I was a Baltic Studies major at the University of Washington, and spent a lot of time studying Latvian mythology, literature, history, etc. We celebrate the heck out of Jaņi (Latvian midsummer), and incorporate some Latvian winter holiday traditions as well, but don't yet celebrate all eight of the Latvian seasonal holidays . . . but we will teach DD about the Latvian wheel of the year and pantheon (as it were) of gods. (For anyone interested in Latvia's pagan roots, there is a great article here, and another here.)

So, Salvia, do you speak the language? Do you live near other Latvians? Ever been to Latvia? Do tell! :
Old 12-08-2006, 05:36 PM

I connect with the Green Man and Gaia. I think my connection with the earth is currently about to change- I just feel there is something I am not as connected with that I need to be connected with. (if that makes any sense...)

I do connect with some of my ancestry...my great, great, great grandmother came to this country pregnant, unmarried and alone (from germany). No family followed her. She made her own soaps and sewed to make a living. She delivered her babe, alone and raised the babe in a small house in the woods until she met her husband. He accpeted her for who she was and they went on to have a very large family. My grandmother just shared this story...it was always referenced but no one ever spoke about it. I have been thinking about her alot lately...

I don't know much else about her but she was a strong woman and I am thinking she may have had a more pagan path than anyone in my family would care to admit. We have a few of her writings, journals about her gardens and soaps. :

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 12-08-2006, 05:51 PM

Wow! what a cool story. What an amazing woman.

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybele
On heratige I'm mixed European (Irish, a German/French border town for sure, not too much other info), with a maybe dash of NA -- Apparently it's common for people to claim that their grandmother was Cherokee, so now I'm not so sure, but my Mom and her Aunt both are pretty sure that my mom's grandfather spent time with a Cherokee woman, but they aren't sure if she was the mother of his children or not. Apparently at that time in small communities things like that just weren't discussed.
I know just what you mean. My father is BIG into geneology. He's researched most of his adult life, and he's been compiling a computer database for about a decade and has over 150,000 names in it. He is positive that he has found a NA ancestor who married a white man, he thinks she was Cherokee, but he can't trace any further back than her. His solution has been to research NA geneology, hoping to find out something about her that way, coming at it from a different angle. His specialty is intermarriage between NA's and the earliest French Catholic settlers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
So, now that we have all talked about our heritage, a question. As Pagans (or Nature based spiritualists or what ever ) do you believe that it is essential to your practice to connect with/honor the Spirits/Goddesses/Gods of your ancestors, of the land you live, both or neither?
Another unhelpful "I don't know." I'm not sure that my path will ever take me to a place of worshipping gods and goddesses. I feel a strong connection to nature itself and the lunar and solar cycles, but I'm not sure about gods and goddesses. I am drawn to Animism, but not so much in the sense of spirits or souls, but more along the lines of natural energy and intrinsic value. I was reading the ADF thread and felt drawn to the descriptions of their alters and offerings, but I don't know why. I do, however, feel an extremely strong pull to my ancestors and feel my path involves them somehow.

It is just so hard for me to shake off the scientific athiest in me. I've spent most of my adult life as a staunch athiest, and it's only in the past few years that I've started to feel like presences were guiding me. I've tried to ignore them and tell myself that it's my imagination, but it's not working very well, LOL. Sometimes I feel like it's my ancestors, and sometimes I feel like it's the spirits of the house. (My house is 128 years old.) I just know that three times since we moved here, I've bawled and prayed to whoever was listening to help me with a huge problem in my life, and all three times, I got the answer right away. And it's only been by acknowleding these presences that I've been able to give myself permission to seek a spiritual path.

Wow, are newbies allowed to talk this much?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:28 PM

Funny, I've found that my scientific atheist side is more validated than ever lately... I'm beginning to think that Chaos Mages are like Quakers-- a lot of people are, but don't know it yet.

Liz-- You've actually spoken with Neil Gaiman? I'm wicked jealous! Do you know what's up with the necrophilia thing? Because I'm desperate to know.... :

Salvia-- I found Coraline to be extremely creepy (I would have loved it as a small child, but BeanBean is a bit more sensitive; I probably won't introduce it to him until he's older) but Wolves in the Walls was kind of sweet and struck home in a very painful place. The entire story is about grownups not listening to kids. I guess that's why I didn't find it scary, and BeanBean didn't find it scary either. It's entirely fantastic to him, because he *is* heard, kwim? So he can enjoy a story about something utterly impossible and it doesn't hit home for him at all, so to speak. He knows that if he "knew" that there were wolves in the walls, mommy and daddy wouldn't just blow him off with, "You have an overactive imagination" comments. I guess it means that we're doing an okay job at this parenting stuff.

Jennisee-- I *love* geneology. I've hit some major dead ends in my own research, though, and I had a few major setbacks (like a hard drive with THREE YEARS of research on it totally frying ). Now I've got small children, so of course I don't have time to look things up anymore. It's a major bummer.

Do I feel that it's necessary to connect with the pantheon of one's ancestors? Well, as someone who has ancestors from all over the globe, I guess I find the question somewhat irrelevant. It might be more of an issue for me if I was like Mike, who knows exactly where he comes from for many, many generations (ever hear of the Fisher book? He's in there), but as a total mutt... I'd like to know who my ancestors were, but I can't know anything about their pagan roots and I'm not sure that it's necessary.

Then again... I'm a freak!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 12-08-2006, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth Junky View Post
Salvia: Sveika! : Nice to find another Celtic-Baltic pairing! As for sources, I don't really use any . . . I was a Baltic Studies major at the University of Washington, and spent a lot of time studying Latvian mythology, literature, history, etc. We celebrate the heck out of Jaņi (Latvian midsummer), and incorporate some Latvian winter holiday traditions as well, but don't yet celebrate all eight of the Latvian seasonal holidays . . . but we will teach DD about the Latvian wheel of the year and pantheon (as it were) of gods. (For anyone interested in Latvia's pagan roots, there is a great article here, and another here.)

So, Salvia, do you speak the language? Do you live near other Latvians? Ever been to Latvia? Do tell! :
No, I don't speak the language or really know anything about the culture! My husband doesn't know much about his heritage and I am going by his last name (Lett) but I guess that doesn't mean they are Latvian. Thanks for the links as I would like to learn more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon
I don't know much else about her but she was a strong woman and I am thinking she may have had a more pagan path than anyone in my family would care to admit. We have a few of her writings, journals about her gardens and soaps. :
What a great story and wonderful woman! What an amazing gift to have her writings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post

It is just so hard for me to shake off the scientific athiest in me.
Me too. But, like you, I have guides who won't let me be (in a good way!). Your house sounds amazing. I think if we are open and observant we'll keep on finding our way.

I thank you all for your response to my question (and please keep them coming if you want!). Part of me keeps questioning if I am doing "this" "right". But another- bigger, stronger- part of me doesn't believe there is or needs to be a right and wrong way.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 12-08-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Liz-- You've actually spoken with Neil Gaiman? I'm wicked jealous! Do you know what's up with the necrophilia thing? Because I'm desperate to know....
Well, not spoken but email, yes. We talked about all sorts of things and speculated on the unknown. He has a very inquisitive mind. His imagination was/is scary at times. Some of the things that he came out with were rather disturbing. I don't really know about the 'necrophilia thing'. He didn't divulge all of his thoughts...just enough to make me wonder. : :
Old 12-09-2006, 02:08 PM

Well the kids and I are off for a fun filled day. Today we are going to a Waldorf craft fair, the street fair and a light parade (this evening). There is going to be a group there that spins flaming poi! It should be so much fun!
Have a great day!

H

Old 12-09-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Well the kids and I are off for a fun filled day. Today we are going to a Waldorf craft fair, the street fair and a light parade (this evening). There is going to be a group there that spins flaming poi! It should be so much fun!

H
OK I am trying to get a mental image of this. You should have seen the look on my Dh's face when I tried to explain why I had a funny look on my face. :

I'm really liking this thread.

As for the question about deities and ancestors. I've actually found that those who are happiest on their path are those that follow what 'sings' to them. Does that make sense? For me it is the gods of my ancestors. You can draw and almost perfectly straight line from me to Ireland via my dad's grandmother who was the first generation of the branch born in the US. In all the reading that I've done it is the Irish deities that sing to me. I find the Norse dieties fairly facinating as well and they have my respect as do all other religions but they don't sing to me so I do not follow them any further then to satify my curiousity and need to learn. I feel drawn to work with nature and nature spirists as well. But, when it comes to what an idividualt should do I always say to follow your heart.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:21 PM

I delivered a box to a momma from mdc today. It was great putting a face to a name.

I have asked for several books about the celts and other books for christmas.

We finished up the last of our shopping today. I am glad to be done...I needed some more material to finish up projects and also to make a picture quilt for my dh's family.

The girls decided to sleepover at grandma's house...out of the blue. alone time with hubby

Old 12-09-2006, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Have a great day!

H
Excellent! I am getting my DH a set of poi & a fire staff for his xmas gift. We have a good friend who twirls and DH has had a go a few times and loved it. It is SO cool to watch...and on one of the somewhat local beaches they have a full moon fest every month and the twirlers put on a great show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
I know just what you mean. My father is BIG into geneology. He's researched most of his adult life, and he's been compiling a computer database for about a decade and has over 150,000 names in it. He is positive that he has found a NA ancestor who married a white man, he thinks she was Cherokee, but he can't trace any further back than her. His solution has been to research NA geneology, hoping to find out something about her that way, coming at it from a different angle. His specialty is intermarriage between NA's and the earliest French Catholic settlers.
My father is a total genealogoy nut too. He's been at it about 10yrs but I have no idea how far back he's gone. I'm afraid to get him on the subject cause he'll never stop

Quote:
Another unhelpful "I don't know." I'm not sure that my path will ever take me to a place of worshipping gods and goddesses. I feel a strong connection to nature itself and the lunar and solar cycles, but I'm not sure about gods and goddesses. I am drawn to Animism, but not so much in the sense of spirits or souls, but more along the lines of natural energy and intrinsic value. I was reading the ADF thread and felt drawn to the descriptions of their alters and offerings, but I don't know why. I do, however, feel an extremely strong pull to my ancestors and feel my path involves them somehow.

It is just so hard for me to shake off the scientific athiest in me.

Wow, are newbies allowed to talk this much?
lol I'm a fairly new poster to the thread too... welcome One beautiful thing about paganism, nobody will tell you that you HAVE to worship any God/Goddess. I know quite a few panthiests (god is part of everything) and/or godless pagans (as one calls himself hehe) I am VERY scientific minded as well (I'm a nurse by trade) and have always been so... But my answer to that in my own personal beliefs is that God/Goddess is energy and a spark of that energy is present in all of creation Eventually in your 'travels' of learning you'll form your OWN idea about God/Goddess/whatever you choose to call it! And nobody will ever tell you it's wrong.

Now onto a completely light & fluffy topic I have started decorating Lucas' bedroom in the DRAKE theme from ikea (why do I always type idea instead of ikea hehe) I have grand ideas for a cool room that will give him a cozy corner for quiet reading etc with a bean bag and such.. and a playful 'castle' built in the corner (by moi). Ikea even has a particularly wicked flaming torch wall lamp that we simply must have

and OMG my baby boy just did his first 'commando crawling' on the floor next to me! not sure if I should be : or

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 12-09-2006, 11:23 PM

with my first dd, I was thrilled to see her do new things. with my 2nd dd, I was thrilled and sad...it was hard to see her moving on...it mean't she wasn't itty bitty anymore.

still, I get excited over all the new things my children do!!

Old 12-09-2006, 11:57 PM

That's it exactly Brendon. Quinn is my 5th child so I've seen a few grow up way too fast... but I think what makes me a little sad is that he is the last. I'm 35.. docs (and not even mentioning my mother) get a bit psycho about vbacs as it is (although not as much in aus as in the US) so I think anymore would be pushing my luck. as well as my sanity But babies are just too wonderful, so I'll just have to hope that my close friends have more so I can oogle theirs

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 12-10-2006, 12:20 AM

I love that Ikea torch. Ds is really getting into castles too. I wish I could take him to Scotland to see Edinburgh castel. Or even the tower of london.

I was roaming a furniture store today and they had this bunk bed/work station/hide away type thing. In the back part, there is a door on each end. Ds and another little boy that was there was having an absolute blast climbing into the thing and shutting the doors to make a hide away.
If I had access to some tools, I would try to make some sort of castle with doors.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:23 AM

We put up our tree!

The natural burial grounds were lovely (93 acres of nature preserve...the spruce were being culled since they're not native species) and it was a lot of fun. A few inches of snow on the ground and probably another 30-40 people wandering around the general area of the trees. Since the trees were huge (over 20 feet tall) the owners had chainsawed a bunch of them and people were topping them.

But we found a smaller tree (about 5 feet, with a single straight "tip" making it about 6 feet) that hadn't been cut and we took that one home. It's a bit "charlie brown" but it looks great with the ornaments and lights. We hung the lemon slices in front of the lights and when the room is dark they just glow....mmmmm....

For dinner we made a pumpkin soup since everyone here has me drooling over soups and muffins and other yummy goodness.

And I even had time to decorate my altar with some of the branches we cut. I actually feel like the holidays are coming.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 12-10-2006, 01:52 AM

I've been lurking here a little bit the past few days but haven't had a chance to read over the entire thread. May I join you here?

I've been non-practicing for a few years now and before 1999, I practiced Wicca for a few years with a group in TN. Before that I was solitary.

Now I am married to my bestest friend and have one amazing DD who is 3-1/2 years old. We are members of a UU church and I've gone to a couple of their group pagan gatherings. I've kind of just been on hold since DD was born though.

But now I am feeling the need to explore my spirituality again. I'm kind of coming at it from anew, and from a more general direction. I found Wicca to be too constraining for me. I also like to keep my rituals very loose and heart-felt (partially due to OCD). Now I guess I would identify as a UU pagan? Not sure.

I saw people discussing their heritage. How wonderful and interesting! I'm a mutt here, some German, some Irish, some Norwegian, some more German, some more Irish, some ????????? I've never felt much affinity to any of these pantheons though. I used to work with Sumerian (Inanna, Ereshkigal, etc.) but I later chose to keep things more "generic." (I also did a lot of artwork based on certain Sumerian myths.)

I'm mostly only familiar with the Wheel of the Year in mostly Celtic terms. I want to celebrate Yule with our family but DD is already excited about Christmas. It's so everywhere. We've been learning about other celebrations as well - mostly through media or books - Hannakah, Kwanzaa, but I am not sure how I want to start introducing Yule to her. It's a little bit weird for me because DH is not pagan. I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this?

Anyway, I just wanted to intro myself a bit and now I am . Nice to "meet" you all here. I'd love to hear others' ideas about the upcoming holidays and 3 year olds. We did get a tree today. I will be reading the thread as I have more time. Thanks!

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
I love that Ikea torch. Ds is really getting into castles too. I wish I could take him to Scotland to see Edinburgh castel. Or even the tower of london.

I was roaming a furniture store today and they had this bunk bed/work station/hide away type thing. In the back part, there is a door on each end. Ds and another little boy that was there was having an absolute blast climbing into the thing and shutting the doors to make a hide away.
If I had access to some tools, I would try to make some sort of castle with doors.
Oh it would be awesome to take the boys to see a real castle one day. I saw a killer castle style loft bed on ebay once.. but they wanted an arm & a leg for it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
We put up our tree!

A few inches of snow on the ground and probably another 30-40 people wandering around the general area of the trees. Since the trees were huge (over 20 feet tall) the owners had chainsawed a bunch of them and people were topping them.

But we found a smaller tree (about 5 feet, with a single straight "tip" making it about 6 feet) that hadn't been cut and we took that one home. It's a bit "charlie brown" but it looks great with the ornaments and lights. We hung the lemon slices in front of the lights and when the room is dark they just glow....mmmmm....

And I even had time to decorate my altar with some of the branches we cut. I actually feel like the holidays are coming.
Sounds like great fun, has been many years since I wandered in actual woods to cut a tree for the holidays! Sometimes the charlie brown trees can have a real homeyness about them that really feels right for the season, so I'm sure your tree is wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflower View Post
I've been lurking here a little bit the past few days but haven't had a chance to read over the entire thread. May I join you here?

But now I am feeling the need to explore my spirituality again. I'm kind of coming at it from anew, and from a more general direction. I found Wicca to be too constraining for me. I also like to keep my rituals very loose and heart-felt (partially due to OCD). Now I guess I would identify as a UU pagan? Not sure.

Anyway, I just wanted to intro myself a bit and now I am . Nice to "meet" you all here. I'd love to hear others' ideas about the upcoming holidays and 3 year olds. We did get a tree today. I will be reading the thread as I have more time. Thanks!
Welcome from another newbie! Not sure if your UU church has a CUUPS group associated with it or not? (covenant of UU pagans) I used to live in northern california and would go to the closest UU's pagan open sabbat circles when I could. They were really great...very inclusive and made me feel right at home.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:11 AM

Starflower- Welcome aboard! I'm UU too.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:14 AM

Welcome Starflower!

We are UU too! a little, tiny bit christian, with lots of UU/Pagan thrown in. I set up a nativity scene but i don't view the story as absolute truth and i really have never believed in "one god". very eclectic...but overall, we are nature based and try and keep that as our overall belief.

still planning our yule meal. we will celebrate yule slightly after, because we will be with my family for the day. We have 15 people or so, coming to our solstice party! I am very excited about holding an event that speaks to my beliefs...this is the first one i have shared with other people!

Old 12-10-2006, 12:57 PM

Heyla StarFlower and welcome to the fun!

Quote:
but I am not sure how I want to start introducing Yule to her. It's a little bit weird for me because DH is not pagan. I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this?
My DH isn't technically pagan either so in the first few years of our marriage we spent a fair amount of time trying o work out a "balance" around holidays. What we sort of settled on with the Yule/Christmas season was that Yule was a holiday for us as a family and it is spent together, quietly, with a few homemade gifts. We also try to do something for others around the solstice...we might volunteer at a soup kitchen or shelter, pack and send boxes to families in need here at mdc, that sort of thing. So Solstice (Yule) is a season to celebrate our family and share with others.

Christmas we celebrate more along the lines of a community holiday of traditions...we have relatives and friends who visit, or we visit them. We go to Midnight Mass with my mother (I enjoy the candles and the music and the focus on a mother/child relationship) and eat waffles when we get home. We play carols on the radio in the morning and eat traditional foods from both our childhoods. We have stockings (from santa and the reindeer) and gifts under the tree from relatives and friends (usually not handmade, but that's okay).

So we sort of "have our cake and eat it too"...we're teaching dd about all the different "Gee it's getting really cold and dark and maybe we should have a partyto cheer everyone up and remember that the sun is coming back" holidays that happen at this time of year and celebrating different days with different "activities and attitudes", if that makes sense.

And we do celebrate other seasonal days....like the feast of La Befana, and 12th night, and St. Lucia's day....all days that were celebrated by DH or I as kids.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:29 PM

That sounds lovely. It has taken our family a bit to get a tradition going. I sort of "found" my beliefs after we had been married with kids for awhile. But I have to say that the switch from tradtional holidays to our wheel of the year has been really smooth. The kids like that we do thing "before" everyone else. It also worked out really well since I am a nurse. No one gives a hoot if you have the Solstices off, or the first day of spring, or fall, or May day etc. (Not that I work much now anyway. LOL). We have slowly been down sizing ourselves and giving more meaningful gifts which I love so very much. The kids like it too. Plus we do Christmas with family.

Hey I have a question. I am pooped and the thought of doing a big old Yule dinner is stressing me out. Well recently I got the paper and one of the stores is doing a very fancy dinner that you oder, pick up and heat up (it is all cooked you just warm it). It is about as much as I would be spending on doing the whole dinner from scratch, but I can actually enjoy the day and just warm stuff up. So would you do it? We are having a few people over, and I just don't want to spend the day in the kitchen, especially after being up late, and most likely getting up early (for the kids). I will still make my pumpkin gingerbread, but it also comes with a pie. LOL

Oh and I am so stealing that idea of ham and cheese and what not (we will probably do sparkling cider or hot cider instead). I usually do something sweet, but since I got pregnant I can't have sweet for breakfast anymore. It makes me feel crappy all day. Maybe with some fruit and dip.... mmmmm! Then we can do an early dinner.

H

PS Oh, and HELLO! to all the new mamas on this thread. I am not usually so lame! LOL

User Tag List