what AM I??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 40 Old 12-27-2006, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eli'sM - let me know if you have any questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 12-28-2006, 10:46 PM

I have to second that maybe you're a UU - Unitarian Universalist. One of the main missions of our church is to support people while they find and learn about their OWN spiritual path, whatever that may be. It's a religion for those who don't fit in with other religons.
#33 of 40 Old 09-20-2007, 07:29 PM

I wish I could remember what the web site was it asks you several questions on what you beleave and then it comes up with what releagions best suits you.
#34 of 40 Old 09-20-2007, 10:16 PM

Is this the website you were thinking of?Belief-O-Matic

You might also look into Pantheism.

Enjoy the journey, edamommy!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#35 of 40 Old 09-20-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli's_mommy View Post
Ooooh!! Good thread, I'm really getting into it. I don't know what my deal is, but I had never noticed the religious studies sub forum on top of the spirituality forum (perhaps I'm blind? ). I could probably spend the next week reading through all of that.
Bishop John Shelby Spong (and judging from your posts, if you haven't read his work, you'd probably like it) has written on this as well, and it was eye opening to me. I recommend Why Christianity Must Change or Die, or A New Christianity for a New World.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#36 of 40 Old 09-20-2007, 11:58 PM

This is kinda funny to me, because I used to feel so alone. I'm nothing in particular, either. Or something totally unique, whichever you prefer. I've come to the realization that, if spiritual community is important to me, I'm going to have to accept those with differing beliefs.

There is so much good in virtually all religions. I think all paths lead to God.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#37 of 40 Old 09-21-2007, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm not joining the main discussion, but I hope you all don't mind a short digression here. The term Immaculate Conception has been used repeatedly. What the PPs seem to mean is the Virgin Birth of Jesus. The "Immaculate Conception" is something else entirely - it is a specifically Roman Catholic doctrine which has to do with the conception of Mary, not Jesus. Confusing the two is a very common mistake, and I just wanted to clarify.
#38 of 40 Old 09-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Don't feel pressure to put a "name" to your beliefs.

I second (or third?) the UU. If you are just looking for a place to meet with other people (sometimes it seems that is what people are really searching for, a community to identify with) the UU is great, no pressure to believe any one thing or be anything, you can just be you, and let your spirituality grow from within and with the support of the community. I'm not UU, I'm atheist (UU members can be atheist too, but I don't identify as a UU member), but I do go to some UU functions and services, got married in the UU church and my kids have gone to the co-op nursery school at the UU church. It is a really accepting place that allows for questioning, searching, and all that. But that is just my opinion. I love the UU members at the church by my house.
#39 of 40 Old 09-21-2007, 03:36 PM

I too have been wondering "what am I"? I was thinking perhaps pagan. I took the beliefnet quiz and my top was Therava Buddhism. Looks like I have some reading to do.

Good luck in your journey.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#40 of 40 Old 09-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Banned

i recommend finding some spiritual disciplines or practices that speak to you.

spiritual disciplines--such as ritual, prayer, meditation, fasting, group worship, spiritual study, etc--belong to all religions. they are what provides depth and spiritual experience that is mirrored in the traditions and scriptures of a given religion.

so, you don't have to belong to an organized religion to utilize disciplines to deepen your spiritual experience. the main thing is that you practice these disciplines. choose the ones that work for you, and then the most important thing is doing them consistantly. that's why they're called disciplines. it takes practice and discipline to do them and to get the benefit of them.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page