January Pagan Moms' Thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 583 Old 01-15-2007, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those that were interested in it, there is a copy of Herbal Rituals at Abebooks that is a good price.

Birth Junky~ love the design! I do like the idea of the four seasons, though. How big is it going to be?

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#302 of 583 Old 01-15-2007, 09:00 PM

It'll be pretty big . . . her roots are going to go on my low back, and the top of the tree will likely be between my shoulderblades.
#303 of 583 Old 01-15-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth Junky View Post
It'll be pretty big . . . her roots are going to go on my low back, and the top of the tree will likely be between my shoulderblades.
That is not a tattoo I would want to lie still for! I had a hard enough time with my tiny little rosebud. The whole time I just kept repeating a certain profanity until it was over. A whole 30 minutes.

to you for being able to endure that. It'll be pretty. I like the four seasons idea.
#304 of 583 Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Birth Junky- The leaves would be beautiful! The design in black and white is just beautiful!

Kleine- I found a pin for dd when she was one. I don't know if Paper Factory is a chain store or not but that is where I found her pin.

My herb garden is beginning to take seed. Other than the basics, what herbs do you plant?

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#305 of 583 Old 01-15-2007, 09:58 PM

I do like the idea of the four seasons as well, but haven't gotten that far with the tracing (it is hard finding time to work on it while keeping up with DD); I'm still tracing out the summer leaves.

DH's other great idea was to eventually put an earth-line around her hip level, and have it be light above and dark below. If I do that, I'll have to make it even MORE witchy later and add a full phases of the moon progression over her head. She could get VERY involved!

This Friday is just her outline; no color or shading yet . . . we're thinking it's going to take 2-3 hours. Yeeouch!
#306 of 583 Old 01-15-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
My herb garden is beginning to take seed. Other than the basics, what herbs do you plant?
I liked having Thai basil as well as regular basil. And a pepper plant or two is always nice.
#307 of 583 Old 01-15-2007, 10:09 PM

Birth Junky- Awesome! I like the four season idea as well, and the idea of having her face fade into the tree more. Very cool! I agree with Kleine though...I'd have to break that 3 hour marathon into smaller sessions or else risk alienating (or injuring) my artist.

Our current home is directly across the street from a nice tattoo parlor and some day, when I'm not pregnant or nursing, I'll go get my current tat finished. I started it, then got pregnant. Hmmm...not clever!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#308 of 583 Old 01-15-2007, 11:32 PM

Birth Junky,

Very cool tatoo. My dh has the celtic tree of life on his arm in this cool green. I love it. I have no tatoos. Too much of a chicken. I would love one someday. Who knows.

And I love your montage. Your little girl is so gorgeous!
#309 of 583 Old 01-15-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I am going in on Friday to start work on my new tattoo. I was planning on getting her shaded in many different greens, so that she would have plenty of depth and texture. But then DH made a suggestion that made me think . . .
WOW! That is gonna be just gorgeous! She'll take a few sessions to finish up for sure! Mine was nowhere near that big and it took 3hours to do (maybe 14' across x 3ish inches high and lots of black fill in with some colour/shading) I love the idea of the seasonal leaves...think that'd be beautiful. And I agree with the hair, I'd ditch the tendrils too as imo the leaves of the tree are Her hair anyway :

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#310 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 12:45 AM

BirthJunky, that is going to be a beautiful tattoo. I really want to get one too, but I am still undecided on what exactly to get. In Dec it was dh and I's 12th wedding anniversary, and I was going to break all the tattoo "rules" by getting his name tattooed on my ring finger. When we went to make an appt they told us they don't to tattoos on fingers. I still really want it, even though I know it would fade. I guess I'll just have to do something else.
Well, I'm just procrastinating, I'd better go fold laundry
Later Mamas!
#311 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you consider basic, but my favorites are chives (I use TONS of chives in my cooking), rosemary, thyme, marjoram, sage, parsley, basil, and cilantro. I have grown some medicinal herbs like echinacea, but just for the pretty flowers.

Quote:
I am going in on Friday to start work on my new tattoo.
That is gorgeous! I absolutely love four-season tree images--I'm trying to find some artwork for my own house. I also like the idea of adding the ground line at her hip and the moon stages above her. You are much braver than I. I don't have any tattoos or piercings. I don't do needles unless the pain of the needle is taking away a greater pain.
#312 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 03:53 AM

oh my! i've really fallen behind in this thread!

Hopefully I can catch up tomorrow!

Right now, the temp here is -15! Im going to go crawl under some blankets!

have a blessed night!

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#313 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
That is gorgeous! I absolutely love four-season tree images--I'm trying to find some artwork for my own house. I also like the idea of adding the ground line at her hip and the moon stages above her. You are much braver than I. I don't have any tattoos or piercings. I don't do needles unless the pain of the needle is taking away a greater pain.
Jennisee:

Dancing Goddess Dolls has a Wheel of the Year embroidery that is absolutely gorgeous--available as a pillow or altar cloth.
#314 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Jennisee:

Dancing Goddess Dolls has a Wheel of the Year embroidery that is absolutely gorgeous--available as a pillow or altar cloth.
Thanks, I'll check it out! I'm mostly looking for art for the walls, but I like the idea of an altar cloth.
#315 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Yes and I am utterly in LOVE with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out! I'm mostly looking for art for the walls, but I like the idea of an altar cloth.
And oddly enough she shows it being used as a wall hanging

I am just beginning the herb garden here... I have basil, thyme and oregano thus far, and am plotting another trip to the garden centre when we get paid next! Definitely want some chives, maybe some parsley & coriander as well.. and a rosemary plant... must have one of those! The more magical type unusual herbs are a bit hard to come by here but I have a friend that might be able to get them and if so I'm going to do a pentacle herb garden

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#316 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 06:18 AM

I checked it out, and it is gorgeous! I've actually seen that embroidery on a cloth diaper before, LOL. I have some very bare walls, and I think I need me some Pagan wallhangings, LOL.
#317 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 11:34 AM

Birth Junky- Great tattoo! There are so many details in the branches, etc. I designed one similar to that but there weren't so many branches. I was afraid the tat artist wouldn't be able to do all the branches. Never had the tat done in the end though. heh heh.

Ds and I are still sick. Now he has diarrhea along with the cough. My sore throat has come back. NOt good when you are coughing like crazy. Ow.
Guess ds has to miss another Music & Me class. At this rate, we'll never get to the class! Sigh.
#318 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 AM

Good morning, all. More winter here- ice and snow.

Quote:
This year I want to add Yarrow, Echinacea, Artemesia's

We have Sage (only Purple, I need to add a regular), Bay Laurel, Oregano (culinary and ornamental), Thyme (regular and Lemon), Tarragon, Parsley, Rosemary, Monarda (Bee Balm), Pennyroyal, Basils... did I miss anything?

I read the February chapter in Herbal Rituals last night- how wonderful! Now, the day before we leave, I plan to have an oat milk bath, make yummy oatmeal cookies and offer some of these and milk to Brigid at our altar in the woods.

#319 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 12:13 PM

Great tattoo! but 3 hours? Ouch!!!:

We had snow yesterday and now it's cold outside... DH made sure I have enough wood inside for the fire today so we are ok.

There are so many things to think of and to plan for the next weeks/months that I have a hard time getting one clear idea about anything I'd like to do something simple for Imbolc... maybe something with my breastmilk and things related to candles... I could do a seed blessing too but won't be able to plant them before the Spring Equinoxe, an even then it will be a bit early for our climate: I think I'll try the banana recipie from Circle Round...

OdetoJoy, many Healing vibes to your son and to you!

Valérie   
#320 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 12:48 PM

Sending out healing and prosperity energy to those in need.

No plans for Imbolc as I don't really follow the wheel, but I have been getting the itch to start seeds for my (container) garden.

Birth Junky - I have a similar tattoo idea except I want to use grapevines instead of a tree and either the triple moon or earth as the root ball. Someday....

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#321 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
For those that were interested in it, there is a copy of Herbal Rituals at Abebooks that is a good price.
Just clicked the link... $94???
I just looked it up on Amazon... 5 books: $63, 85, 100, 120, and $278

What is this book?
#322 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 01:51 PM

Last night there was a copy of the book for $18- that's why I posted! I guess someone bought that copy or they changed the price. The book is out of print, so I guess that is why it is so $$$. It's a great book ( Greenlee : ) but those prices are wild!

Ooo- look- Powell's has a copy at a great price!

#323 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 02:14 PM

it was ME!!!!!!!!
i bought the book! :

i did find it here for a great price too!

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#324 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Ooo- look- Powell's has a copy at a great price!
The one at Powell's is gone.
#325 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 02:21 PM

Cravenab00~ oh, good!!! You'll love it!

hope someone here bought the Powell's one!

#326 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Oh, good!!!

hope someone here bought the Powell's one!
I hope it was me.
#327 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 02:25 PM

That's if a bunch of us didn't order it at the same time. heh.
#328 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 03:55 PM

*laughs* I wanted to get that book too!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#329 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 05:28 PM

There's a copy at Cornell...which is currently being held for me.

Try through your library...an Interlibrary loan might be the ticket!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#330 of 583 Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM

My library system didn't have it.

If I get the book and it's stuff I already know about, I'll give you lovely ladies first dibs to buy it from me (for what I paid, plus shipping).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page