January Pagan Moms' Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 583 Old 01-18-2007, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
Don't worry about keeping up- just come and join in when you can. We're not big on rules here!

Yep- no woods, no nature for me on Feb. 1. Airports mostly. Ugh.

I need more coffee too, but I have the stove torn apart to clean it! Double ugh.
sending you some virtual coffee!

aww, thanks! i reallllly do want to be here more, dang it! it was, after all, my celtic new year resolution. yeahhhh i gotta get moving. lol on the rules comment. mom's always asking me what we "should" be doing on x or y date i mention is a holiday. um, ok mom. missing the point. sigh. she's more agnostic naturism spiritual.... oh, i suck at terms, but she got me to be pagan cause of how she brought me up, only she's not so much herself, though she loves to celebrate with me, if that makes sense. she's more old hippie, i guess.

ugh. anyhow! trying harder, i am!

ok. in airports. let's see. visit a coffee stand, grab some of those little plastic things of half and half.... dump them in the container gardens when no one is looking. ha!

for those NOT traveling that day-- here's one i've always wanted to do-- wondering if anyone here does-- plant something in a public place. everywhere i've lived, there's always been some spot where some flower magically springs to life, and i always wonder..... who was behind it?
#362 of 583 Old 01-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Welcome!

Hmmmm...on the road, no nature required, ritual for Imbolc...

Well, Brigid is the primary diety associated with Imbolc (at least for me...I know other's have different associatations). Grabbed quickly from Wikipedia:

Quote:
She was the goddess of all things perceived to be of relatively high dimensions such as high-rising flames, highlands, hill-forts and upland areas; and of activities and states conceived as psychologically lofty and elevated, such as wisdom, excellence, perfection, high intelligence, poetic eloquence, craftsmanship (especially blacksmithing), healing ability, druidic knowledge and skill in warfare. In the living traditions, whether seen as goddess or saint, she is largely associated with the home and hearth and is a favorite of both Pagans and Christians.
True, the well blessings and seed sprouting might be tough to do on the road (or in the air) but Brigid has other attributes and there are other aspects to Imbolc. As a goddess of "lofty" places and metalurgy, an airport might actually make sense for a ritual of Brigid!

Let's see, if you go with the "ewe's milk" translation, and take into account Brigid's role as poet,...perhaps pack a lunch of sheep's milk cheese or yogurt and some crusty bread, maybe some potato salad with corn mixed in (potatoes for Ireland, corn to represent the corn dolly traditionally made on Brigid's day), a salad with sprouts or young greens (maybe dandelion or nettle if you can find them), and eat lunch while reading aloud from a selection of poetry?

Or write your own poems based on the things you see while you travel? Brigid's Day is often a time for forcasting the weather and the shape of the year so perhaps as you travel keep an eye out for "portents" and craft a poem that includes all of the signs you see? Kids could have a lot of fun with that.

Errr...if you're traveling by road maybe bring a candle or two and have a "candle light picnic" when you stop for lunch? On a plane that wouldn't be such a good idea but you could again spin Brigid's role as crafter/fire goddess and use something like an LED to represent the flame (like those little toys balls you see at rest stops that light up when you bounce them?) or use a small travel reading light with some colored tissue paper (so the light is under the paper and looks like flame). Light your "fire", nibble your ewe's milk, and read a few poems...then keep an eye out for those signs that will guide you in the creation of your own poem gift.

Later on you might make a candle and carve the poem you wrote (or a line from one you read) into the wax, or craft something out of wire (back to the "blacksmith" energy) for your garden that still reflects the travel you took and your safe return (so a bird to represent the plane, or a flame to represent the internal combustion engion that carried you, or whatever).

But that's off the top of my head, and may not appeal to everyone since lot's of mamas have a different feel for Imbolc (or Brigid).

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#363 of 583 Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Wow! I think I'm finally caught up. Welcome to all the new people here, and don't worry, there are lots of us that can't keep up. It's fun to try sometimes, but I seldom make it two months in a row

Since I wished everyone happy solstice we had a nice time at the in-laws for the christmas holidays. way too many gifts for the kids, but for a change they were nearly all things I was okay with -- books, art supplies, puzzels, etc. DS#1 turned 4 on solstice, and I realized I'd been breastfeeding for 4 years straight now (and changing diapers for that long too, although DS#1 has been out of them for a year) Then I turned 38! There are still days I can't believe I'm an adult, and then I remeber that I have 2 little ones and it still blows my mind

DH started a new job in December and it's working out well, he's much happier. Then yesterday my group got reorged, they split us from one (too large) group into 3. I'm now working (one level down) from the person DH quit over having to work for (after giving it a year)! It might be okay since there's a manager in between us. I know DH made part of his problems himself, but only part of them... So now I'm stressed about the whole work thing. There really isn't many other places here to do what I do, and we like the area, like our house/land, love our Nanny (who is from here and going to school here so probably wouldn't move) and DS#1 loves his preschool, so we don't really want to look very far away if things don't work out.

I'm trying to keep a positive outlook, but it's not easy. I'm not the only one in our group with concerns, so I don't think it's all because of DH's experience.

I haven't started any planning for Imbolc yet. Maybe doing that could take my mind off work some! I've been enjoying the ideas I've seen coming across.

Anyway, time to get a last little bit of work done before I go for the day. one of my new years goals is not to spend too much time on here during the work day!

-debbie )O( wife to J., mom to P. (12/21), L. (4/30)

#364 of 583 Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 PM

Great suggestions, Clay. You rock! :

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#365 of 583 Old 01-18-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
perhaps pack a lunch of sheep's milk cheese or yogurt and some crusty bread, maybe some potato salad with corn mixed in (potatoes for Ireland, corn to represent the corn dolly traditionally made on Brigid's day), a salad with sprouts or young greens (maybe dandelion or nettle if you can find them), and eat lunch while reading aloud from a selection of poetry?

..... or craft something out of wire (back to the "blacksmith" energy)

you are awesome! ok, that lunch idea works perfectly. and, get this: that afternoon is the bridal lunch my aunts and i are throwing, and we're making a metal wire tiara for the bride at the lunch! i love it. she'd just keel over if she knew (very christian and anti-anything else type), but i simply adore it!

i'm currently stuck on the sofa, under a sleeping babe, and none of the lights are on, and it's dark out....... i feel a reallllly nice energy flooding the room from the open door. i've been "blocked" all week, so i am positively delighted by this, and i attribute it to my spending time here. so, thank you.
#366 of 583 Old 01-18-2007, 10:24 PM

*laughs* get some half and half and dump into the plants at the airport That is just great!!!!

We had a great birthday!!!!! Bella is so grown up but I remember her birth as if it were yesterday! These are for me girl - : : :
*she loves these*

I am now officially behind...let me catch up! *laughs*

*dances* guess what came in the mail today? Circle Round. I officially own Circle Round- let the celebrating begin.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#367 of 583 Old 01-18-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
WELL. I read dutifully through about 8 pages before i really looked and saw that i had about another 9 to go : maybe some other time, heh. Even if i sub here i can never keep up...
I was noticing yesterday that this thread avg's about a page a day! Keeping up isn't necessary (or easy hehe) but I'm having fun trying this month... I didn't do half bad for december either! Much success with your goals for the year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemommy View Post
i wish i had superpowers of keeping up with you all. i soooo badly want in. i feel like i'm in jr high, watching the cool table, and wanting soooo bad to be able to sit there.
ooh I'm at the cool table!?! excellent, never quite made it there in high school Pull up a chair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemommy View Post
ugh. anyhow! trying harder, i am!

for those NOT traveling that day-- here's one i've always wanted to do-- wondering if anyone here does-- plant something in a public place. everywhere i've lived, there's always been some spot where some flower magically springs to life, and i always wonder..... who was behind it?
Hehe welcome, you are! (love yoda-isms lol) What an excellent idea! There was a place where I used to live that I used to drive by about imbolc every year.. maybe it was a bit after, cant' remember... but there was a hill that was just COVERED in daffodils! It was so gorgeous and I loved that someone had taken the time to go out and get those original clumps of bulbs started .. and mother nature must've too because she took over and they naturalized in grand fashion!

Here's a nice Imbolc-y type chowder ... http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Corn-Chowder-I/Detail.aspx sounds really yummy! I am undecided as to whether I'm doing Imbolc of Lammas truly I've tried reversing the wheel to suit the southern hemisphere but since I live so near the tropics it really doesn't fit EITHER way We don't really have an autumn here... Actually I guess we don't really have a winter and autum starts when winter technically should. So it will be quite hot here way into april... gets coolish in may.. the 'cold months' are aug/sept.. then it warms up again in oct : What's a poor northern hemisphere habituated pagan girl to do??? suggestion would be welcome

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#368 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 12:46 AM

Hello, goddessy mummies!!

I was feeling a little of this... , what with being frosted and toasted by two wonderous MDC mamas (, , ), and thought I'd pass it around!

I notice there has been mention of not worrying about catching up with the 400 some odd posts, and I'm going to take full advantage of y'all's good graces and just jump on in, plant my feet, and announce my arrival!

I did also notice talk of Imbolc, and as usual, I'm loving reading the good suggestions. My Stella Natura calender says that the afternoon of February 2 through the 5th is a good fruiting/seeding time, so I might plant the first of my spring flower seeds to celebrate, maybe set them up with a little temporary altar on a sunny window sill and see what happens. Though, like where KH is, it's been ridiculously warm here this winter, so I might as well plant them outside.

Last year, I had the most intense, connected Imbolc. My boy was two months old, I was at one of those crazy hard bfing points, and I spent the whole day nursing and knitting, saying a little prayer to Brigid with each stitch. I totally did not appreciate the opportunity for reflection in those nursing moments, hard and tedious as they seemed through my sleep-deprrivation fog. That was a good Imbolc...
#369 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 12:58 AM

Alright. I'm craptacular!

I posted a big post this morning and thought none of you responded. As it turns out, it isn't here! Duh.

Happy birthday (a little late) to Bella!

I've had two puking, pooing toddlers for the past 5 days. Oy, do I need an Imbolc cleansing!!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#370 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post
I notice there has been mention of not worrying about catching up with the 400 some odd posts, and I'm going to take full advantage of y'all's good graces and just jump on in, plant my feet, and announce my arrival!

I did Last year, I had the most intense, connected Imbolc. My boy was two months old, I was at one of those crazy hard bfing points, and I spent the whole day nursing and knitting, saying a little prayer to Brigid with each stitch. I totally did not appreciate the opportunity for reflection in those nursing moments, hard and tedious as they seemed through my sleep-deprrivation fog. That was a good Imbolc...
LOL welcome : Can't help but be connected with a wee one hanging off you can ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post

I posted a big post this mornign and thought none of you responded. As it turns out, it isn't here! Duh.

Happy birthday (a little late) to Bella!

I've had two puking, pooing toddlers for the past 5 days. Oy, do I need an Imbolc cleansing!!
Yeah, not very likely that we wouldn't respond... we like to chat way too much for that! Wonder where your post went.. maybe mdc has been hanging out with msn and picked up the post eating bug! : Here's hoping your poop/pukefest is over?!

I'm enjoying the peace & quiet that can only be had in a house full of SLEEPING boys hehehe.. ok so the oldest is humming to himself in his room (the harry potter theme is his fave song) but still.. mostly quiet It's a beautiful thing!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#371 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyTree View Post

Last year, I had the most intense, connected Imbolc. My boy was two months old, I was at one of those crazy hard bfing points, and I spent the whole day nursing and knitting, saying a little prayer to Brigid with each stitch. I totally did not appreciate the opportunity for reflection in those nursing moments, hard and tedious as they seemed through my sleep-deprrivation fog. That was a good Imbolc...
Honeytree, sweetie, it is always so good to see you and read your lovely posts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post

I posted a big post this mornign and thought none of you responded. As it turns out, it isn't here! Duh.
Well, I sure we would have posted!

Happy new moon all! (We need a moon smilie!)

#372 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 04:33 AM

DH's cousins lost their father this afternoon, after a nearly two-year struggle. We will be spending tomorrow night with them, and I am going to cancel my appointment tomorrow morning.
#373 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 10:40 AM

Birth Junky-
#374 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 10:50 AM

Oh spiritual, earthy mama's.... I could use some ideas.

I'm turning 40 tomorrow (Saturday). It's really hitting me hard. I'm feeling old and, well...like a loser to be honest. My son just turned 4. When he's in grade school and high school, I'm going to be really old. That's if I'm alive. Yeah, morbid thought...but very real. I'm obese. My health isn't great (most likely unrelated to my weight). I have joined the Y but haven't even been able to go once yet due to illnesses and car trouble.
I'm lonely. Incredibly lonely.
I've never owned a house and can't see it happening. I have bad credit...yet can't even afford the cost of bankrupcy.
I'm in a yucky place financially and don't know how it's ever going to change.

So.......... I guess I'm thinking about the accomplishments I should have at my age. It's hard not to compare myself, ya know?

I need to try to embrace this new phase of my life. I need to accept that I won't be having another child. I need to accept that my periods are going crazy and that it could mean I'm getting ready for the 'change'.

I'm pretty sure that if I did not have a child, I wouldn't be so upset about turning 40. Having a child changes everything. I'm hyper aware of my own mortality.

Help me find a way to embrace this new age! Please!!!

Peace,
Liz
#375 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 11:00 AM

Oh Ode- Big hugs. I know you've been having a year that makes the word "tough" look ridiculous (like calling the Grand Canyon a "nice ditch").

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#376 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I know you've been having a year that makes the word "tough" look ridiculous (like calling the Grand Canyon a "nice ditch").
#377 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 11:40 AM

I have a new 3yo today!

Too bad she is sick.
#378 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 11:43 AM

And BIrth Junky- I'm sorry for you and your family. I hope everyone finds peace...

#379 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 12:15 PM

(((Birth Junky))) sorry for you and your family.

(((OdetoJoy))) You had a hard year but future can and will be brighter!!! A nice bath to cleanse the negativity, a nice cup of tea, sit down and relax as you make a list of things you are grateful for: your son, a roof over your head, clothing to keep you warm, MDC ;-) ... Our lifes aren't perfect but even in the darkest spot we can find something to be grateful for... (can you tell I'm immersing myself in the LoA thing???)

Valérie   
#380 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 12:29 PM

Yes, I do list/think about things I'm grateful for. But, I'm looking for things that will help me to actually embrace this new age. Something pagan(ish). Not quite crone...but getting on in the years. LOL.
#381 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 01:18 PM

I'm ridiculously far behind, and have already spent my "computer time" (ie: the finite amount of time the kids will let me be online before coming in to the office and asking me something every 5 seconds ) this morning catching up on email and doing some logos, so I just got through one page today...*sigh*

((ODE)) I'm so sorry, hon, you have had a particularly craptacular year, I don't have brilliant thoughts for you right now, but I will reflect on it some today and see what I can bring back here tonight

((Birthjunky)) Be well, and take care of yourself and DH

paganmum- Happy Birthday to your little one! and dern it about sickness

jennifer- sorry no one posted back...apparently our psychic vibes aren't as in tune as we want

awesome airport suggestions, y'all!!

Brenda- Blessed wahmama to Sara(7) & Alex(5) 7/10 & 9/10 Living the crazy life with dh David & Charlie on our little urban farm!
#382 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Ode- *hugs* I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I think you are an amazing goddess!

Birth Junky- *hugs*

For Imbolic- we are making an offerring of seeds and then growing some grass. I will also have the girls help me with some baking and such. There are so many great ideas in circle round.

We made bread today and I forgot about it. It was all over the place!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#383 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
Ode- *hugs* I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I think you are an amazing goddess!
Aww, thank you! :
#384 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 05:47 PM

aww, thanks for the laughs! heehee.

ode--i think we can come up with a ceremony or ritual for you.... three elements-- the past, the present, and the future. you think of three things or symbols or moments, and we will cook something up!

cari-- and i love that you caught my ism! there was a daf hill near my house! LOVED it. then the next year, there were tulips. and the next, cornflowers. splendid. i think i'm going to find a place that needs some cheer and take some seeds.......... as for a southern tilted version, you've got me stumped, but i will stew on it as i cook this evening.

hugs, mommas! huge hugs.

it's very gloomy again today. i'm beginning to wonder if my winter aspect doesnt exist in the clouds, because i'm feeling much more powerful today. hmmmm. and yet, i just escaped from the rain and wet to save my spirit...... huh.
#385 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 PM

Thanks moosemommy... would try to catch up but I have a 5yo begging to play on the computer. OTJ I don't have much to offer as I haven't hit that stage yet Hopefully a few wiser mums than I will be able to help

Off to repot some tomato & cucumber seedlings in the garden.. toodles ladies

#386 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 10:33 PM

OtJ~ Wish I had more than good wishes for you, but I don't. I hope that your 40th year turns out to be your best yet!

#387 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 11:00 PM

Thanks all. I think I need time (and solitude) so that I can meditate. I'm not so much into rituals anymore.
#388 of 583 Old 01-19-2007, 11:42 PM

Ode: Happy (almost) birthday!

A possible meditation for you, if it feels right: what about thinking of some of the incredible over-40 women you know (or know of) and what about them appeals to you? Maybe meditating on the amazing sisterhood that you are joining tomorrow will bring you a renewed sense of peace & confidence about that date on the calendar.
#389 of 583 Old 01-20-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
I read the February chapter in Herbal Rituals last night- how wonderful! Now, the day before we leave, I plan to have an oat milk bath, make yummy oatmeal cookies and offer some of these and milk to Brigid at our altar in the woods.
I managed to read a bit of the February chapter via Amazon a few days ago. http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0312...L8wcZIsWxk%3D# I went to the Table of Contents page and saw that February started on page 59. I then did a search for February, clicked on page 59, and started reading. I read through 61, did the February search again, then clicked on 62 and read through 64, etc. I sort of feel, dishonest, but I am also glad that I got to read it.

Anyway, I was at my HFS today. I saw a bar of homemade oatmeal soap, and I just had to buy it. I'm still such a newbie with this, but I'm excited to have oatmeal soap come February.
#390 of 583 Old 01-20-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeToJoy View Post
I'm turning 40 tomorrow (Saturday). It's really hitting me hard. I'm feeling old and, well...like a loser to be honest. My son just turned 4. When he's in grade school and high school, I'm going to be really old...I'm obese...I've never owned a house and can't see it happening.
...I need to accept that I won't be having another child.
Help me find a way to embrace this new age! Please!!
oh, liz........
hey, dunno if it'll make you feel any better, but
i'm 47. i had my son at 41. when he's old enough for hs, i'll be my mother's age. no, not really. she's 70. but when he's 16 i will be turning 57.
i'm obese, too. i have owned a house but i proved that i am not fit to own property.....i f***ed that up really badly!
i doubt that i'll have another child either. i'm still way fertile, but i'm single, 47, and....well, single. not MEANING to be celibate....ugh. but i'm not into flings, and even if i were, i do NOT want to raise two children alone. one's hard enough.
you don't have to embrace. yet. one thing i learned in AA is that acceptance does not mean you have to like it. but i'd work on acceptance if i were in your shoes. which i am. and i do.

hang in there, mama. if you ever want to PM me, please do!

pamela
aka Maiasaura WinterHeart

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page