January Pagan Moms' Thread - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 583 Old 01-21-2007, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always enjoy seeing altars.

I want the girls to begin their own...well not want but introduce the idea.

*yawns* Great day! I have a wonderful familly and it was so good for the soul to see and chat with them.

Unschoolma- yes it is great. i needed that time before the crazy/busy getting things put on the table for the meal.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#422 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Actually, I am not a blog person either, but somehow I keep the dang thing up pretty well. Perhaps I just like to hear (err, see?) myself talk lol.
You're a great writer! I wanted to tell you that I was fascinated by your post back in December called "Convert or Die"- it really made me think (I hate video games) and more than a bit freaked out by the Left Behind video game! Oh and by the way, I saw your pic over in TAO and WOW! You're beautiful!!! :

SweetAfton~ I don't have an altar up inside right now as I am working on setting one up out in our woods. Here are some old pics:

Winter Solstice

Summer Solstice

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#423 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 12:47 AM

It snowed, it snowed, it snowed!!! We've had a couple dustings, but this was the first good snow of the winter. It was also my DD's first time really enjoying the snow because she was only 1 last year and didn't like the cold. I was out in it for 2.5 hours! First, I shoveled the sidewalks and driveways, including the block-long walk to the grade school (I swear, you lose 40 pounds and gain some energy, and suddenly you think you're Snow Shovel Girl ), and then we played in the snow and made a snowman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
Here is an article that I wanted to share with you all. It is called "Using Astrology to find One's Birth Goddess".

This site will help you find the new moon before your birth.
It turns out I was born at almost the exact moment of the full moon, which is interesting to me because I love full moons. It says that makes Selene my goddess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAfton View Post
And I have a question that might be too personal. Does anyone have a picture of their alter that they can share? I've never seen one IRL.
I have only been preparing my alter (aka fireplace mantle ) for two sabbats, so it's very much a work in progress and not very Paganish yet. This is what it looked like at Yule, and this is what I have so far for Imbolc.
#424 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 11:19 AM

I'm beyond exhaustion again...

DS broke his collar bone yesterday... we spent all day up to midnight on the road and in Emergencies (2) to get answers about him Then I could not sleep because a) I was listening to every little sounds in case he needed help to go to the bathroom or need something to ease the pain and b) I cosleep with DD2 who was/is very clingy due to all the emotions and running around we had and she slept very badly last night; kicking, climbing, crying, turning, etc.

At the first place the doctor was someone I don't really trust from past experience but I tought that maybe this would be better because it was a fracture easy to see on an X-ray but he just brushed off any question or concern we had without giving any explanation then the nurse put the support all wrong and could not attache it yet we were released like that : We came back home to eat something and let DS rest a little than we headed to the Children's Hospital (1h45 away) to get some answers. They didn't do more X-rays, checked his lungs and his nerves, put the support on the right side and showed me how to put it right and answered every questions we had We were exhausted but glad to finally being heard.

DH feels guilty because he was playing with him when it happened and he said he should have known better than play the way they did... I know it was an accident, DS knows it too: it could have happens at his karate class or while he climb everywhere... But DH doesn't hear us and is trapped in anger I only hope no one step on his toes at work because it will be bad :

Healing vibes would be really appreciated.

Valérie   
#425 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 11:39 AM

Valerie- Healing vibes sent your way.
#426 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 12:48 PM

Valerie! Hope you all get rested.

#427 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 02:47 PM

Valerie-

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#428 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 PM

Sorry about the little one and how your Dh is feeling about the accident.

My Dh would be like that too. It might be something that he needs to work out.

We are putting an application in on a rental house so we are crossing our fingers that it will go through with out a hitch. If it does we are going to be moving in the next two to three weeks.
My Dh is a bundle of stressed nerves over it. I'm hoping that he'll calm down.
#429 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 04:07 PM

Valerie.
#430 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valérie.Qc View Post
I'm beyond exhaustion again...

DS broke his collar bone yesterday... we spent all day up to midnight on the road and in Emergencies (2) to get answers about him Then I could not sleep because a) I was listening to every little sounds in case he needed help to go to the bathroom or need something to ease the pain and b) I cosleep with DD2 who was/is very clingy due to all the emotions and running around we had and she slept very badly last night; kicking, climbing, crying, turning, etc.
Oh scary stuff, poor kiddo! I have somehow (with 5 boys) thus far escaped any broken bones ... talk about amazing luck lol. But then the youngest 3 are 5 & under so there's still time for them to give me heart attacks in the coming years. Hopefully dh will think back & remember the dumb stuff he did as a kid and realize that stuff happens, just part of life.. especially with boys Hope your little man isn't suffering too badly and mends quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmum View Post
We are putting an application in on a rental house so we are crossing our fingers that it will go through with out a hitch. If it does we are going to be moving in the next two to three weeks.
My Dh is a bundle of stressed nerves over it. I'm hoping that he'll calm down.
Good luck with the house!

Not even 8am yet and the air conditioners are already running.. isn't that vile? I hate humidity.. every year about this time I start telling DH thats IT, I' m moving to Tasmania!!!! One of these years we're actually going to do it Been out to water my fledgling herbs & veg already this morning so hopefully the 34C (94ihs F) doesn't cook them!

Totally different topic.. today is what would have been my 19th wedding anniversary had I stayed with my ex. : I have moved on to much bigger & better things thank Goddess.. but every year this date weighs on me. I feel somewhat sorry for him, he wanted me to leave & I did.. then he hooked up (and married) the first person he came across and boy is she a peice of work. And he's spent the last 7 yrs miserable, where I've been blissfully married to the love of my life... because of this, I am a lucky woman despite all the things that cause me hurt even now....

pardon the ramble..

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#431 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 08:16 PM

I listened to a very interesting show on Fresh Air today about environmentally friendly burials. This seems like an important issue for us Pagans/Earth-based folks.

He talks about moments for natural cemeteries/green burials. Here is a brief list. Some people are setting up small, natural burial areas as a way to preserve land from development. Very cool!

He also talks about Eternal Reefs which is a burial in which the ashes are added to cement which is made into artificial reefs!

It's great to have interesting alternatives to the expensive and poisonous dominant paradigm.

#432 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 09:19 PM

Hi everyone!!

Valerie, I'm so sorry about your DS. You for sure have healing vibes coming from here.

Wait. There's a "Left Behind" video game??
My confession of the night is that every time I see the "Surrendered Wives" thread pop up in this forum, I want to vomit. I believe everyone gets to choose their own path but that path looks so yucky to me. :

Any rebound migraines, Cari? I hope today was pain free for you. I feel for you on those!!!

I got a little new today. I'm PREGNANT. DH is going to pass out when I eventually tell him. I'm thrilled but terrified.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#433 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
I listened to a very interesting show on Fresh Air today about environmentally friendly burials. This seems like an important issue for us Pagans/Earth-based folks.

He talks about moments for natural cemeteries/green burials. Here is a brief list. Some people are setting up small, natural burial areas as a way to preserve land from development. Very cool!

He also talks about Eternal Reefs which is a burial in which the ashes are added to cement which is made into artificial reefs!
Thanks for sharing Salvia... I think both of those are great ideas! I am a water baby so the reef idea really appeals to me.

Jen.. no rebounds since the one sunday afternoon thank Goddess. Back to normal (or as normal as I ever was ) now! Congrats on the pregnancy! :

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#434 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 09:30 PM

Jenn- Wow! Congratulations!!

I am very interested in natural burial. I will check out the links later.

#435 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
Wait. There's a "Left Behind" video game??
Yep. It sounds totally and utter awful. Check out UnschoolnMama's blog if you dare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141
My confession of the night is that every time I see the "Surrendered Wives" thread pop up in this forum, I want to vomit. I believe everyone gets to choose their own path but that path looks so yucky to me. :
What?!? Yuck. Missed that one. Moving on so not to have a UA violation. Lalalala...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141
I got a little new today. I'm PREGNANT. DH is going to pass out when I eventually tell him. I'm thrilled but terrified.
: :

#436 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 PM

Congratulations Jenn!

Awesome alters mamas! I haven't seen any irl either, so that was a treat.

According to my calculations ( which I plan to double check later) my personal Goddess is Hecate, which really doesn't surprise me at all. I have always felt a little pull in her direction, and I feel that I really understand the whole death/ rebirth thing.
That's really comforting for me right now, because dh's grandma is dying, and will likely not see another week. I am very close to her, and was grieving a lot yesterday. ( I've decided to let the grief out in little bursts in advance, so I don't have to let it all go at once. : )
#437 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 09:55 PM

I've always planned on cremation when the time comes, and I really like the idea of Eternal Reefs. I'll have to remember to show that to DH when he gets home tonight. Thanks for the link, Salvia!

All this altar-talk has got me thinking . . . we moved into our new home in November and I have been thinking since then about putting up a seasonal altar. The only place I can think of that would be safe from baby hands is this corner unit in our hallway with several shelves. I thought I'd post a couple of pictures so that you could see what I'm talking about, and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Here is a full-length view of the shelves, and here's a close-up.

The very top shelf is about eye-level (I'm 5'8") and not very deep--enough room for a small statue, a candle, a large crystal . . . or an assortment of small things. I could also use the wall space above/around the shelves to hang flat objects--pictures, paintings, fabric, etc.

The next shelf down, which is at my chest, is 9" deep. After that there is another shelf (11" deep), and below that level are two more shelves that are within baby's reach, so they can only house baby-safe objects.

I just have to get the darned thing earthquake-strapped to the wall, so that DD can't pull it over attempting to scale it.

So now I'm trying to figure out altar items to represent the season . . . we have tons of tiny pinecones scattered around our yard, so I'm going to collect some of those. And perhaps a sprig of holly from one of our trees.

If anyone has any suggestions/ideas for how to get the most use out of the three-level altar, I'd love to hear them . . . otherwise I'll just keep you posted as the thing progresses!
#438 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 09:59 PM

And because I was nak and it took me forever to put together that last post, and I MISSED a bunch of posts . . .

: : CONGRATULATIONS, JENNIFER!!!!! : :
#439 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 11:22 PM

OOh Birth Junky that could be an excellent altar! (after anchoring to the wall as you said heheh, we have that problem here too!) My altar (linked somewhere in one of my posts) is the hutch in the dining room which has two shelves above it. Up TOP I have my wax melt thingy (mmm smelly stuff), A Bast figurine (She watches over our kitty) and my tarot cards (placed there after they became items of extreme interest for small people ), At the moment the SECOND shelf has assorted candles, a photo of dh's grandfather (that has lived there since samhain) and a handprint pentacle made by Lucas & me out of salt dough & painted up. I has the verse 'earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit' on it. Table top level has my ceramic cauldron, pentacle, small offering dish and usually a Goddess statue as well as God/dess candles but the latter two have been moved due to a naughty feline! (guess she just wanted to visit Bast up there lol)

I think the tiers lend themselves well to having altars that are child safe =) Maybe a statue or picture of your matron Goddess (if you have one that is) up top, bits & peices on the middle shelf up high like your candles and such and your 'working' surface on the widest tier? It would also be gorgeous with seasonal decorations as the wheel turns too! : (pardon the birthday stuff.. Lucas spotted them and insisted they go in lol)

#440 of 583 Old 01-22-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
and a handprint pentacle made by Lucas & me out of salt dough & painted up. I has the verse 'earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit' on it.
this sounds positively gorgeous! i would love to steal the idea! can you post pics of it?? (if that's ok, that is... )

thanks!
Maiasaura

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#441 of 583 Old 01-23-2007, 01:49 AM

Hugs to you Valerie. Healing too!

Yea, the Left Behind video game is craptacular to say the least. Well, from what I gather anyway. We have yet to actually see it. And this is coming from someone with kids that own Grand Theft Auto.

That shelf would make a fantastic altar space!

Salvia, thank you so much for your kind comments on my writing/blog. It's my hope to get published this year...somewhere...anywhere lol. Thanks for looking at my family pics over in TAO! I am usually behind the camera, and I have to say I am soooo much more comfortable on that end.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#442 of 583 Old 01-23-2007, 01:59 AM

I would, but I'm missing the rechargable batteries to the camera : I got the instructions from online somewhere, but I looked and it's not in favorites anywhere As soon as the batteries appear I will snap one for ya though! Lucas was 3 when we made it and he painted it ... so it's a bit ..rustic but if you look closely you can tell there's a handprint in there

#443 of 583 Old 01-23-2007, 12:11 PM

Thanks for all the congrats, everyone.

Two of my closest friends know but that's about it. I have a herstory of MCs and I have decided not to tell DH until the genetic testing is all done. He's all stressed out and crabby over work right now and this baby, although not prevented, was not entirely planned either. I see the high risk OB on February 8. She'll hook me up for a fast track appointment for the test and I'll tell DH once the results are in. He has the last weekend in February off. Hopefully, I'll have the test results and can tell him then.

I love the tiered altar idea!!

I once saw a fabulous table I'd love to have someone make for me to use as an altar at "Fruit Basket Flowerland" of all places. It was a server in the shape of a star. It was huge and gorgeous and I should have just bought the darn thing because years later, it's still my dream altar. We don't have any woodcraftswomen here do we?!?

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#444 of 583 Old 01-23-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth Junky View Post
If anyone has any suggestions/ideas for how to get the most use out of the three-level altar, I'd love to hear them . . .
That will be very cool! The bottom level could be your family area or nature table sort of collection. Hmmm, not sure but a three-level altar makes me think of different levels of the self: the world, the family, and the inner spirituality. Have fun! I recommend thrift stores as a great place to find items for your altar.

#445 of 583 Old 01-23-2007, 12:13 PM

Ive been trying to catch up for a week now. I failed the last three months!!!

Congrats Jenn on the news: Been thinking about a second some time here myself:

Im sending healing vibes valerie- hope that collarbone heals quickly. My neice broke hers some time ago, they are painful but seem to heal nicely.

Beautiful altars!! Put me to shame, I have to admit I still have part of my samhain alter up!

Ode- no words, just

BTW- I kinda fell in love with that house!!! My dh and I looked at the pictures a couple nights in a row talking about how we wanted something like it! We were BOTH bummed to read of the damage!! : BAD real estate company.

Im in TUCSON, AZ--- IT SNOWED!!!! We took off at 8 p.m. and went to the park. We got about an inch here in our neighbourhood. I havent seen snow in three years since I left detroit, I was in heaven!!!!

We had to put socks on our hands, but my dd LOVED IT!

http://homepage.mac.com/keros328/PhotoAlbum1.html

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#446 of 583 Old 01-23-2007, 02:19 PM

ahhhhhhhhhhhh. neeed more coffeeeeeeeeeeeeee. i try to keep up, but man!

I'm in tucson too!!! so much fun, the snow. we've gone to mt lemmon a few times, just to expose ds (who is 9mo) to the snow, so it was funny to get more here than we'd seen on the mountain!

ok, congrats and hugs as need... i'd go get coffee and try to really reply, but i'm stuck under a napping babe....so, apologies!

cari-- ok, while stirring my soup and sipping my wine from my favorite cup, i thought on your north/south issue.... it seems to me, that were it me, i would probably wind up celebrating as the spirit moved me. in other words, i'd probably pick and choose based on where the energy seemed to me to be at the time. that's always when i feel the best, anyway. sorry i didnt come up with something better!

salvia, that is an awesome link thank you for sharing. mine, another case of "DUH"... Ceres. so cool.
#447 of 583 Old 01-23-2007, 02:38 PM

Congratulations on the pregnancy, Jen! That's so exciting!

I'm very interested in the natural burial information. My dad was an anthropologist before he went to law school, and he still does archeology and geneology on the side, and he recently informed me that he wants to be buried in a wood box, unembalmed, on our family farm. I have NO idea how to pull that off legally, but if I can get it done for him, hopefully my family can get it done for me. I hate the idea of my body not decomposing and not returning to the earth.

I posted my family pictures in the TAO thread and was thinking that we should do something similar here! I'd love to see pictures of everyone. Here is what I posted in TAO:

Me...with and without glasses.
DH
DD
#448 of 583 Old 01-23-2007, 03:54 PM

pics huh?

Me and Bella
(then 2)

DH and Bella

Bella and Gilli

#449 of 583 Old 01-23-2007, 05:07 PM

I love the natural burial stuff too. I think I forgot to say that before.
When you stop and think about the whole process and all those dead people filled with all that crap, it's pretty icky.

#450 of 583 Old 01-23-2007, 05:52 PM

I'll share pics, too!

My sweetie and me on New Year's Eve :

Our girls sledding

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page