January Pagan Moms' Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
I did once attend a summer solstice ritual in a public park that involved dry humping and I've been more leery ever since.
Run away! Run away!

I have got a couple things things from the School of the Season. She's a good writer and has information on a wide scope of religions (a bit too much Catholic info for me).

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#122 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 03:55 PM

This may seam like a silly question. I hope it makes sense and you know what I am talking about. My friend was telling me about waffling. She wants to waffle her blackberries, to bring good about a heary harvest next season. She said this is done on 12th night. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If not, I'll just go : . We were talking via cell phone so maybe I heard her wrong and I can't find anything when I search for this. Maybe she just cooks up a big batch of waffles and throws them at the berries

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#123 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 04:12 PM

I want the link, Ode. Thanks!

Yeah. The dry humping ritual was the ONLY one I went to after attending our local Pagan Pride thing. It's the only time I've ever left a circle because all I could hear in my head was, "They're dry humping!! They're dry humping!!" It definately brought out my inner 9 year old boy.
This is the same group who didn't understand why the Xtians didn't like them. It was a public park, people!! There were little kids not 60 feet away. Seriously. Do that in the backseat of a car like all good 16 year olds...

I can't help with the gardening thing, Water. Although maybe if we all read the squash blog, we'll get it?? :

The seasons school has a strong Catholic influence? Ok, that won't work well with me.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#124 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe View Post

Did you see the big felt wall map of the world? It costs $99! that does not include all the felt parts to stick to it either. : I need someone crafty to help me make one.
we got that catalog too (how??) and the only thing that made me positively DROOL was that map. Wouldn't that be so fun?!? I am SO not crafty, but maybe that can be a summer project.

Last night, we were outside, and ds (2 years) looked up and said, "Mama! Look! Mom-mom Moon" (that's what we call her when she's full). He was so happy. Then we howled a bit.
#125 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 05:00 PM

Have any of you read Jean Shineda's (sp?) book on The Crone? My m-i-l just retired from her job, and is having a hard time defining herself apart from her work, and generally seems to be in a slump about her womanhood and personhood and spirit, and I thought of this book (though I haven't read it, I've only read reviews of it). If any of you have read it, I'd love to hear what you think of it as a possible gift for a non-pagan but wonderful and open woman.

I want to order Herbal Rituals from Amazon right now!! But I"ll see if its in the library, first. I am such a green, gardening, kitchen witch. I must have it! Drool.
#126 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 05:06 PM

i havent the slightest clue what waffling blueberries means.

Waffles are waffles around here, but lately, since my mom have us a new waffle iron, waffles have looked like Tigger and Pooh bear.

i havent started the squash blog yet i plan on doing a seed blessing the day before Imbolc, and starting seeds inside Imbolc night.

the dry-humping thing is a bit scary, but also

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#127 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wateraddict View Post
This may seam like a silly question. I hope it makes sense and you know what I am talking about. My friend was telling me about waffling. She wants to waffle her blackberries, to bring good about a heary harvest next season. She said this is done on 12th night. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If not, I'll just go : . We were talking via cell phone so maybe I heard her wrong and I can't find anything when I search for this. Maybe she just cooks up a big batch of waffles and throws them at the berries
My guess is she meant 'wassailing' not waffling That involves wassail (alcoholic or non) and blessing your fruit-bearing trees/bushes.
#128 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maeveypoo View Post
My guess is she meant 'wassailing' not waffling That involves wassail (alcoholic or non) and blessing your fruit-bearing trees/bushes.
Now THAT makes sense!!

A friend of mine was telling me about going to a "balk" ritual this weekend. In my head, I was thinking, "Is that like Seinfeld's Festivus?!?" until I realized she meant IMBOLC.

And FAO Schwartz has a map like Pottery Barn's but it's even neater IMO and about 5 times the cost.
If we win the lottery this year...

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#129 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I'm going to do *something* online for my spirituality. I can't decide between joining something like the Seasons of the Year school or a more "covenish" thing. There's a local tarot group that meets in this city and I should go check it out but I have never had much luck with local stuff. I did once attend a summer solstice ritual in a public park that involved dry humping and I've been more leery ever since.
OMG! : Sounds like they had their sabbats confused too... the dry humping is usually reserved for Beltane If you are looking for something irl (open circles etc) check your local UU church, where I used to live the pagan circle there held open sabbat rituals and they were always lovely and family friendly so you should be safe from faux sexual visuals

Just thought I'd share that I got started on that Goddess cross stitch and she's coming along beautifully... I actually feel like I'm making progress...until I unfold the mag and can see the WHOLE pattern : I've probably gotten about.. 1/8th of her done though! So feeling rather accomplished hehehe

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#130 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Jen, I like the idea of sending something out for Valentine's. . .we didn't get to xmas cards this year, and every time another card came in the mail I felt guilty. LOL. Just too much going on here!

The only goal I can think of for this year is to be more gentle with myself (do you all know that song? I keep singing it) and to try to come to a sincere acceptance of my son's condition (long story ), embracing it for what it can teach us as a family instead of being so depressed about it!

Here are the words to the chant I mentioned. . .it's so nice for all of us women:

I will be gentle with myself
I will love myself
I am a child of the universe
Being born each moment

Have a nice weekend, Ladies!

Kelli, radical unschooling mama to four beautiful homebirthed lovies (ages 14, 9, 5, and 19 months) 
#131 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 PM

Once again... I'm late to this thread but subbing.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#132 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 11:15 PM

I read Jean Shindoa Bolen's "Crossing to Avalon: A woman's midlife quest to the sacred feminine." I loved it. It came to me with amazing timing, which is funny because synchronicity is something she discusses. It is suitable for a non-pagan, she herself holds traditional Christian beliefs as well as Goddess beliefs. This is a book I would like to buy so I can reread whenever the mood hits, and I'd also try to find her other books.
#133 of 583 Old 01-05-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenab00 View Post
i plan on doing a seed blessing the day before Imbolc, and starting seeds inside Imbolc night.
oh, please share! is it something specific that you do, or just improvised? when do you plant seeds, anyway? indoors or out? where do you live? i'm in asheville NC. i wonder if i can start seeds indoors w/o a special lamp. it's not that warm inside compared to out. but it's not cold, either, i don't think. unless you are a plant, i guess?? : should i call Cooperative Extension? would they know the answer to that?

oh, btw, i LOVE the UU church. it took a long time, and persistance, for me to "get" what it's about, for ME. for the longest time it seemed like a sham church because they go through a very definite ritual and church-like order of service, but never mention any diety. plus it is often about some sort of social justice agenda, so it seemed to me like they should be calling it a salon, rather than a church
but now i realize that when they light the chalice, it's up to ME to privately invoke the Goddess. it's up to ME to help the joys and concerns spiral out into the universe by "seeing" (visualizing?) them go. it takes more work than a Christian church because i am not told what to believe, and who to believe in. but it's worth it. and the kids' RE program can't be beat. i remember HATING going to church when i was a kid ("do i HAVE to???") and my ds can't wait to go, most days.
HTH.

oh, and YUCK about the fake sex thing. that's just plain gross. and bad manners, IMO.

Maiasaura

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#134 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 01:13 AM

Dry humping at rituals....

So who's going to make the first big felt world map?

My ds loves going to church as well. We don't go often though because it's an hour drive one way.
#135 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 01:38 AM

I've tried our UU church here and I was so disappointed.

It's an older population - you can tell they are all aging hippies and they are SO not child friendly. A couple of the older women were actually downright rude. I felt badly for them because they seem to be desperate for younger people to do things like yard work but they are intolerant of families. Where do they think the young people will come from?!

Maybe I'll try it one more time this weekend and leave DD with my husband. Then perhaps I'll be able to speak with someone about my past experiences there.

#136 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Thank you!!!! I knew there was no way I was hearing her right I even repeated it to her "Did you say waffling" She'll get a good kick out of that.

So's here what wikipedia says about it. She did tell me I could make blackberry wine with my leftover blackberries but I didn't put the two together. There was some mention of hard cider too and the date she mentioned also mesh with what she said (DH and I were married on Jan 17 too. She says that day chose us, we just didn't know why yet. )

Quote:
Some scholars prefer a pre-Christian explanation of the old traditional ceremony of Wassailing. How far the tradition dates back is unknown but it has undeniable connections with Pagan ritual. Of recent times the word Wassail (from the Anglo-Saxon toast wæs þu hæl, "be thou hale" -- i.e., "be in good health") has come to be synonymous with Christmas. The word wassail is old English and so dates from before 1066. Christmas was not celebtrated anywhere before the third century, and only gradually moved northwards through Europe. Charlemagne was crowned on Christmas day 800. It was probably the Normans who brought the celebration to England. Many sources claim that William was crowned king of England on Christmas day 1066. However if you check the words of the Anglo-Saxon Cronicles (see reference below), it was described as "childer-mass day", Holy Innocents Day, or 28th December. Therefore the tradition of wassailing outdates the celebration of Christmas. Traditionally the Wassail is celebrated on Twelfth Night (6th January). However most people insist on wassailing on 'Old Twelvey Night' (17th January) as that would have been the correct date before the introduction of the Gregorian Calendar in 1752. The purpose of Wassailing is to awake the cider apple trees and to scare away evil spirits to ensure a good harvest of fruit in the Autumn.[citation needed] The ceremonies of each wassail varies from village to village but they generally all have the same core elements. A wassail King and Queen to lead the proceedings, and song and/or a processional tune to be played/sung from one orchard to the next, the wassail Queen will be lifted up into the boughs of the tree where she will place toast that has been soaked in Wassail from the Clayen Cup as a gift the tree spirits and to show them the fruits of what they created the previous year. Then an incantation is usually recited such as

Here's to thee, old apple tree, That blooms well, bears well. Hats full, caps full, Three bushel bags full, An' all under one tree. Hurrah! Hurrah!

Then the assembled crowd will sing and shout and bang drums and pots & pans and generally make a terrible racket until the gunsmen give a great final volley through the branches to make sure the work is done and then off to the next orchard.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#137 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 03:31 AM

I would also be interested in the seed blessing ritual. I expect to start some seeds indoors at the end of January or early February. After doing some reading about Imbolc, I keep thinking of it as the seed offering holiday, LOL, so it fits perfectly.

My FIL and I shared a garden last year, and it was hugely successful, and I am so excited to start this year's seeds. I feel such a connection to both the earth and to my ancestors when I'm working in the garden, growing my own food, or gathering food from the wild. I felt especially spiritual when I was working at dawn or under a rising moon. Mind if I share pictures? This was the garden in May, and this was in June. I have pictures from July on my computer, but I never uploaded them to Shutterfly.

Whoever said that they are a green, gardening, kitchen witch, that is SO me, too! Does anyone else here feel that way? I have been gardening since my age was still in single digits, and I have two degrees in horticulture. I do almost nothing professionally with the degrees, but I draw upon them all the time for gardening. Growing up, I loved historical novels because of all the descriptions about how they lived. Probably my favorite part of Jean Auel's Earth Children series (Clan of the Cave Bear, etc.) is the description of how they use plants for food and medicine. I love morel mushroom hunting season.

I think I must have an old soul. Growing my own food, cooking, herbs, spending time in the wild, old houses, antiques, fires, history--I love it all.
#138 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 03:57 AM

I'm going to miss having my garden this year Since we're planning on moving before August and I'm going to be working as much as possible to get the queue shortened up there'll be no garden. At least I'll still have my wild blackberries :
#139 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 04:08 AM

Sorry to hear about no garden. Do you have any friends or family who garden who might share some of their harvest with you? If I get pregnant this year spring or summer, I know it will put a huge damper on my gardening activities. But then again, I said that last year, too...

Wild blackberries are wildly popular around here! My FIL likes them so much that he planted his own patch. How do you like them? I've made blackberry cobbler, and my neighbor makes blackberry jam. I prefer wild raspberries myself.
#140 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 04:20 AM

We love them! The kids eat them as fast as they can pick them and I made enough jam this year to give a bunch away as gifts plus we still have a little more than half a gallon left At least I got closer to my goal of not having to buy jam all year!

Unfortunately the only friends/family that garden much are my grandparents and they're on the other side of the state. Nobody else has the inclination and/or space to have a garden. I might start some tomatoes in pots though, since Dustin loves his fresh tomatoes! That way I can take them with us when we move.
#141 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
Once again... I'm late to this thread but subbing.
Just had to say I love your sig line

Quote:
I've tried our UU church here and I was so disappointed.

It's an older population - you can tell they are all aging hippies and they are SO not child friendly. A couple of the older women were actually downright rude. I felt badly for them because they seem to be desperate for younger people to do things like yard work but they are intolerant of families. Where do they think the young people will come from?!

Maybe I'll try it one more time this weekend and leave DD with my husband. Then perhaps I'll be able to speak with someone about my past experiences there.
Well poop that's uncool in the extreme. It was worth a shot though

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#142 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
I might start some tomatoes in pots though, since Dustin loves his fresh tomatoes! That way I can take them with us when we move.
I love the idea of growing a plant that has taken in earth, water, air, and sun at one home and bringing it to the next home. Kind of like taking a piece of nature and the local elements with you!
#143 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the tidbit on wassailing. I forgot it was something I wanted to do for our apple tree. We're pretty busy this weekend, but maybe between now and the 17th we'll get a chance.
Blackberries! Love those here too!
#144 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 10:04 AM

I just took a look at seedsavers.org Great site! I begin drooling over my garden around february. Jan is full of birthdays and I am not a huge valentine person, so seed shopping gives me something to do. I did save some seeds from last year to plant but I am still learning about that so I forget to save some from most of my plants.

I would like to a victorian herb garden but we will see what the spring brings. For now, I will add to my beds. I felt humbled and powerful all at the same time, when over the course of 3 weeks, I was able to completely feed my family off of our garden.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#145 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 11:03 AM

I'm envious of all of your gardens. We have a great house on the bay but there's no room for vegetables. We've got beach instead!

I think I will do some tomatoes in pots though. I loved your picks, Jennifer. I loved the "sad okra." Did it perk up as the season progressed?

#146 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 01:24 PM

Good morning, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
OMG! : Sounds like they had their sabbats confused too... the dry humping is usually reserved for Beltane
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyn View Post
but now i realize that when they light the chalice, it's up to ME to privately invoke the Goddess. it's up to ME to help the joys and concerns spiral out into the universe by "seeing" (visualizing?) them go. it takes more work than a Christian church because i am not told what to believe, and who to believe in. but it's worth it.
I have not been to the UU church that is nearest me because it's over an hour away. Maybe when the kids are older. I think I understand what your saying and I would think it would totally be worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
Whoever said that they are a green, gardening, kitchen witch, that is SO me, too! Does anyone else here feel that way? I have been gardening since my age was still in single digits, and I have two degrees in horticulture.
Your garden is great! Ah, how I long for a big, sunny flat spot for a garden! (We are mainly on a slope with many tree- which I love- but not great for veggies). I love that you take a bunch of pictures of your garden- I do to.

I only started gardening in my early 20's while I was living in New Mexico. What a wonderful and rewarding journey it has been. I find so much peace in gardening. 15 minuets of weeding can totally put me into a good mood! I feel very connected to my ancestors when I am gardening and taking care of our animals. Now it is time for me to take this journey farther- expand the herb garden and use the materials- spend more time in the garden thinking and listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennisee View Post
Wild blackberries are wildly popular around here! My FIL likes them so much that he planted his own patch. How do you like them? I've made blackberry cobbler, and my neighbor makes blackberry jam. I prefer wild raspberries myself.
Have to laugh a bit at this because here in Oregon the Himalayan Blackberry is an invasive plant which will take over large fields quick. In fact, we got our goats just to eat down the blackberries (they are doing a good job, but the job will never be complete). Anyway- I have battled blackberries many days with my machete- only to return home defeated, scratched and sore. However, in July, we all feast on the blackberries!

Oh- you must all try Golden Raspberries - they are fantastic!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#147 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 03:34 PM

I have already begun enlarging my garden area for this year. I have a fair amount of seeds, but will probably order more. Last year dd 7yo was bit by the gardening bug, and it was because of her enthusiasm we had a very nice garden. I love that she is feeling connected to the earth and learning how to care for her too.

Jenisee- I love Jean Auel's books too, and love when she describes a plant and its uses. Those are some of my most favorite books and really effected my views in life.
#148 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 04:20 PM

Do you guys get a separate link for my May and June pictures? They're both bringing up the same album for me, but I'm having problems with Shutterfly, so I'm not sure if it's just me, LOL.

Quote:
I think I will do some tomatoes in pots though. I loved your picks, Jennifer. I loved the "sad okra." Did it perk up as the season progressed?
Nope, it ended up dying. I only like okra battered and deep-fried, so maybe it was the universe trying to get me to eat healthier. I think I'll try again this year, but put it out a lot later. I got excited and over-anxious last spring and put some things out too early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvia View Post
Have to laugh a bit at this because here in Oregon the Himalayan Blackberry is an invasive plant which will take over large fields quick. In fact, we got our goats just to eat down the blackberries (they are doing a good job, but the job will never be complete). Anyway- I have battled blackberries many days with my machete- only to return home defeated, scratched and sore. However, in July, we all feast on the blackberries!

Oh- you must all try Golden Raspberries - they are fantastic!
I had no idea that blackberries were invasive in the Northwest. It sounds like it's the difference in climate. I would like to try that golden raspberry. I'm planning this year's garden, and I keep wanting to plant unusually colored cultivars along with the normal ones--blue potatoes, purple bush beans, red carrots, striped tomatoes, etc. I think the golden raspberry would fit right in!
#149 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 06:55 PM

It's 83 degrees today. So hot. I turned on the AC. Usually Jan is when it starts to cool down a bit here.

My growing-way-too-fast ds scored three goals today in his soccer game. What can I say....it's his German blood.
#150 of 583 Old 01-06-2007, 07:25 PM

I'm woefully far behind, so I'm not even going to try to do a full catchup

We still haven't had time to make resolutions, although the biggest one (DH quitting his job) is already checked off the list Otherwise, there will be work on improving our health (I am a bad stress eater/gainer and have gained more weight than I would have liked this year ) and lots of concentration on building my business, living our lives for ourselves and not everyone else and bringing BALANCE into our lives between business, family, fun and work.

I love gardens, I would love to expand ours next year, not sure if we will do that or not, though. I'm sure it will largely depend on whether we have more time, or more money on our hands by then! We have four smallish raised beds, one is strawberries, the others are veggies usually. I had a slew of herb pots last year, and also have some hardy herbs as part of a flower bed off the patio. Last year we put in another side garden, we tried several types of squash, pumpkin, and canteloupe in there. I'm giggling at even thinking about gardens, though- with the blizzards here my garden beds are literally under almost 3 feet of snow right now :

Jennisee- I love fried okra, otherwise can't stand the stuff

Brenda- Blessed wahmama to Sara(7) & Alex(5) 7/10 & 9/10 Living the crazy life with dh David & Charlie on our little urban farm!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page