January Pagan Moms' Thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ode, I'm sorry you have to go through that.

Kleine, I'm still in the chaos stage when it comes to toys so all I can offer you is support.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks Jen.
#183 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 11:40 AM

Hi!

not a lot of time but I wanted to share with you that yesterday was DD1 16th Birthday!!!!!!!! Wow! time flies! I remember holding her as an infant and, in a few months, she will get in her first appartment : (with a friend, for school)

Now she wish to get a Medieval or Renaissance gown for her graduation... the ones we saw locally are way too expensive... so now I'm on a seach for a cute gown, not too $$$ for a tall and thin young woman I know there is a store in Montreal that has beautiful dresses and I think the cost wasn't too bad... I'll have to get there and see if my memory is good

DD2 wants me to go with her... time to go

Valérie   
#184 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
Here's my ethical question for the day: do any of you practice "outside" of your faith? I mean, are you Caucasian and practice First Nation spirituality? I ask because my best friend is involved with a women's spirituality group and the leader is one of those people who thinks there is nothing to co-opt from FN spiritual practices because "there are no pure blood FN people anymore." That sounds like crap to me. We stole everything else so it's ok to steal their spiritual stuff too?
On the other hand, it's all stolen!!! So I can see a little of her point. (I'm a Libra. Can anyone tell?? )
Personally, I am not comfortable with practicing Native American religions. Even though I love reading Native American myths and have enjoyed many dances of the Pueblo Indians, it would feel really wrong for me to try to do their ceremonies, etc. I have used sage and sweetgrass and given corn meal as an offering, but I really want to be respectful of Native Americans and not try to be them. I think this is a good question and one that people must address on the personal level. As I truly love and feel connected with this land that the Native Americans know best of all, I am sure that there is much I could learn from them.

Well, this reminds me- I had a wonderful job working at the Santa Ana Pueblo in New Mexico. I remember some of the locals talking about the "Wanna Be Tribe". :

KH~ I'll reply to the other thread.

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#185 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 05:49 PM

Just a quickie...my level II scan went really well and the babe has no obvious cardiac abnormalities! Yay!!!!!!! And....it's a girl! DD is going to have a little sister! w00t!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#186 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Yippee!!!!

#187 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 PM

That's great news!
#188 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 08:03 PM

wombatclay ~ That's fantastic!!
#189 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 08:23 PM

wombatclay- that is good news!!!

Valerie- do you ebay? sometimes I can find nice garb on ebay. Happy brithday to your daughter! I loved being 16!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#190 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 09:14 PM

Fabulous news, Wombat.
Congrats on your new daughter!!!

Salvia, thanks so much for your reply. That's pretty much how I feel too and it creeps me out that others don't see that.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#191 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

deleted

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#192 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 09:53 PM

Congrats, Wombat and heathenmom! Two girls. You mamas want to arrange marriages with my two boys?

As for Native Americans....I have to say that I have the deepest most utmost respect for their culture and religion. I often sit and imagine what the US would be like today if the Native Americans had come out on top. I am very drawn to their religion as it resonates with my beliefs. Their religion is simply beautiful. The only way I would actively practice it is if I were officially accepted as one of their tribe.
#193 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Just a quickie...my level II scan went really well and the babe has no obvious cardiac abnormalities! Yay!!!!!!! And....it's a girl! DD is going to have a little sister! w00t!
Wonderfuly news wombatclay! I'm so happy for you that baby is happy & healthy! Congratulations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
wombatclay- that is good news!!!

Valerie- do you ebay? sometimes I can find nice garb on ebay. Happy brithday to your daughter! I loved being 16!
Yes! I second ebay... do a search for an ebay store called Royal Coffers... they have some wonderful stuff! I often have a browse thru there just for the drool factor hehehe.

More rain here today! Drought stricken australians rejoice Unless of course you have two hyper small boys ... seriously contemplating chuckin them outside anyway to play in the rain before they drive me mental. They are so bored!!! I think I forsee a game of hungry hippo's after the baby wakes up (arguably the loudest game on the planet) And maybe some baking if we have all the ingredients for anything yummy!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#194 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 10:26 PM

Heathenmom and Wombatclay, congradulations both on your new daughters!

Today was a beautiful warm sunny day- not at all like January should be here.
Lots of wind too.
#195 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 10:40 PM

Clay and Heathenmom- Wonderful news! Hugs to you both!
#196 of 583 Old 01-08-2007, 11:36 PM

My dh and I went to Taos New Mexico on our honeymoon (we drove to the four corners from NYS and back! And we stayed married. Now that was a good test!).

Taos was the most beautiful place we have ever been. We visited the pueblo there. What an amazing experience. We truly felt like we were on hallowed ground. My dh picked some sage from a field and we later burned it for spiritual purposes. We also visited Mesa Verde in Colorado. What an incredible energy there!

I, too, have the utmost respect for Native American beliefs and also accept that I can not truly experience what they experience.

Both my dh and I yearn for New Mexico: desert, mountains, biggest sky ever and more stars than even Texas! (Sorry Texans, but we were in Canyon Texas first and that was the biggest damn sky I ever experienced until New Mexico.
#197 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 01:00 AM

Wow! We got two little Goddesses today! How neat.
You are all giving me serious baby envy.

Igraine, I love seeing your screename pop up on this thread. It makes me feel so Arthurian.

#198 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 02:25 AM

Just wanted to say hope the IEP went well. I read your blog but STILL can't figure out how in the world to make a comment! : Am I just blog impaired or what? lol

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#199 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 09:05 AM

All this dark talk really hits me.

I had a very tough week with a sick baby and no sleep. I was an "ugly mama" this weekend.

I really need to do some internal work. I am just struggling about when it can happen. I work full time and when I am home my dd is like clinge wrap. My poor dh. When I am home he is chopped liver! It makes him sad.

So mamas, when do you all find time to do this kind of work?
#200 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Igraine,

I am a full-time WOHM too. I find that I have to "make" time. Or I try to incorporate it into my day.

i.e. cooking time is a really meditative time for me. I admit it helps that my ds is pretty self contained, but even when he is underfoot I try to include him instead of resent the intrusion. It's been in interesting juggling act.

Since dh and I have different schedules (I work first, he works second) and he gets a few hours a day "child free" he is very willing to give me time on Saturdays when I go to Stitch N' B*tch for a bit and then I go to the library or one of the local nature areas for quiet time.

Oh fogot to add that I have been fascinated by Demeter since high school. Her name was actually my nickname for a while, when we had one of those travelling notebooks that went around my circle of friends and for roll playing.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#201 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 PM

Congrats on the girls heathenmom and wombatclay!

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#202 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 PM

Congrats on the babies.
#203 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Congrats for the baby girls!

Thanks for the ebay comments, I'll look at it.

Valérie   
#204 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 01:37 PM

I'm a late night worker.
I usually clean something and meditate that way - it is seriously calming to me to mop the floors and then work in my journal or read a book or do a little ritual. But I nap during the day a lot of the time.

#205 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 01:52 PM

well, the snow came! It is white and pretty! The sun is out so everything sparkles!!!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#206 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igraine View Post
All this dark talk really hits me.

I had a very tough week with a sick baby and no sleep. I was an "ugly mama" this weekend.

I really need to do some internal work. I am just struggling about when it can happen. I work full time and when I am home my dd is like clinge wrap. My poor dh. When I am home he is chopped liver! It makes him sad.

So mamas, when do you all find time to do this kind of work?
I can only imagine how hard it is to find time for yourself when you are working full time and being a mama.

One thing I would suggest it to practice mindfullness in your everyday life. Not strictly Pagan, but it has done wonders for me. It really helps me to connect to the Earth and the energy of the Universe. I would recommend a little book by Thich Nhat Hanh called Present Moment Wonderful Moment.

#207 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 08:35 PM

Is anyone doing anything special for Imbolc. We just got "Candlemas, Feast of Flames". I haven't done much more than skim through it so far. I will admit I was not expecting such a large book, LOL. I MUST finish the book I am reading before I can embark on any reading that requires thought, LOL.

We have been hanging "New Year's Resolutions" on our New Year's Tree all month long. We will do something with them but I am not sure yet. Also we are planning on putting candles along the walk at night.

The night before a friend and I are getting together and putting together our hopes for the year. Similar to Treasure Map. The timing of Treasure Map always felt off to me and doing something like that at Imbolc seems right. The whole "celebration of hope" thing...
#208 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 08:46 PM

No Imbolic plans so far. I have company, brithdays and a busy few weeks.

I am trying to be more mindful- I am always thinking ahead, planning what is next and it wears on me.

After reading about Kali I feel much stronger in my desire to become a full time stay at home mom. By that I mean, to actually quit my work out of home job and commit to being with my girls. I had a horrific dream other night and as I trying to come to an aware state, I called out to Kali. I have never done that before. very powerful!

#209 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 09:29 PM

Yay heathenmom and wombatclay!

Imbolc - we'll probably decorate our well and eat dairy foods. Not sure what else, though it might be my last Imbolc as a lactating mom, so I might do something with some breastmilk. Some years I pour a libation of my milk on the earth.
#210 of 583 Old 01-09-2007, 10:06 PM

I am still working out my Imbolc plans. I am fairly new to observing the sabbats, so I'm still learning and feeling out what I want to do. A quick Google search turned up this site, which I thought had a lot of good ideas.

For me, Imbolc will simultaneously be about new beginnings/the New Year and preparing for the growing year. We are in the beginning stages of a massive house decluttering right now, so I'll keep the sabbat in my mind while I'm working on that. I want to have my Yule/Christmas decorations put away, and I'll either burn my pine and oak or I'll return it to the woods. I'd like to write my resolutions down and burn them in the fireplace. I'll decorate the alter with white, offerings of seeds, and objects from my natural environment--I know there are some plants barely starting to sprout outside, so I'll probably repot some and bring them in--plus my usual five candles and sun/circle symbol. I'm interested in the seed blessing ceremony someone mentioned a few pages back, because I was planting to sow my cold-season crops around that time (cabbage, broccoli, etc.) I think I might also make an offering of wassail and my milk for the garden and orchard. Finally, I'll try to plan a meal that centers on local meat, dairy, and grain.

It sounds like a lot, but I'll do the decorating a week or so early, and the seeds will be sown over a period of several weeks, and then on Imbolc itself, I'll just bless the garden, cook the meal, and light the fire. At least that's the plan, LOL. My Yule plans were seriously sidetracked, so we'll see if I fare any better this time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page